Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Huttball - PvP Mayhem

Comments

• kuraikenshinkuraikenshin Member Posts: 47

Wow, people always complaining there's no originality and when something different comes out they complain. I mean, I'm sure nobody in Warcraft Lore ever participated in a game of capture the flag with an opposing faction either. I think it makes sense to have jedi and sith play a game for sport-- why not? Why's it gotta be all out galactic war? After all this is a neutral planet the games are hosted on and it's run by Hutts for crying out loud. Didn't Qui Gon gamble on a podrace in Phantom Menace? Use a bit of imagination on this one. Maybe the respective factions are trying to gain influence with the Hutt cartels through participating in this blood spot? Whatever, man. This is a pvp idea I haven't seen in any other MMOs before, and it looks kinda fun. 

Seriously, alot of you people need to chill out. I'm starting to wonder just how many of you come to these forums just to bitch and moan about stuff. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by hikaru77

All this hate around swtor make me believe that the game will be an epic success, that Huttball game was amazing and fun i didnt listen the people screaming like that in the gw2 pvp presentation,  and compared with the instaced pvp in gw2 where all u need to do is ¨Hold a shiny circle for 5 secs to earn points¨.   But for some reason people hate this game,  but bad for them, ill be playing this game.

You obviously haven't been following mmo's long if you think all this hate means the game will be a success....9 times out of 10 the hate is right.

• Osias000Osias000 Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by kuraikenshin

Seriously, alot of you people need to chill out. I'm starting to wonder just how many of you come to these forums just to bitch and moan about stuff. 

I'm guessing the majority falls into that mindset.

I didn't see that empire and republic can be on the same team. I really don't like that, but if they give some reason for it being possible then its fine by me. Some story explaining how entertaining the Hutt is important for diplomatic or strategic purposes could make it more acceptable. If its just thrown together with no background in game I will be sad.

"cinnamon buns"
    - Pickles

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Wow, people always complaining there's no originality and when something different comes out they complain. I mean, I'm sure nobody in Warcraft Lore ever participated in a game of capture the flag with an opposing faction either. I think it makes sense to have jedi and sith play a game for sport-- why not? Why's it gotta be all out galactic war? After all this is a neutral planet the games are hosted on and it's run by Hutts for crying out loud. Didn't Qui Gon gamble on a podrace in Phantom Menace? Use a bit of imagination on this one. Maybe the respective factions are trying to gain influence with the Hutt cartels through participating in this blood spot? Whatever, man. This is a pvp idea I haven't seen in any other MMOs before, and it looks kinda fun. 

whats original about it, its just capture the flag except there is a ball instead of a flag, very original indeed.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by nerovipus32

whats original about it, its just capture the flag except there is a ball instead of a flag, very original indeed.

In the Star Wars universe, it's pretty damn original.

Don't deny it.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by hikaru77

All this hate around swtor make me believe that the game will be an epic success, that Huttball game was amazing and fun i didnt listen the people screaming like that in the gw2 pvp presentation,  and compared with the instaced pvp in gw2 where all u need to do is ¨Hold a shiny circle for 5 secs to earn points¨.   But for some reason people hate this game,  but bad for them, ill be playing this game.

You obviously haven't been following mmo's long if you think all this hate means the game will be a success....9 times out of 10 the hate is right.

Which 9 out of which 10, and whose judgment on what is right?

• RaevanhawkRaevanhawk Member Posts: 86

Anxiously awaiting the latest cinematic for the game showing Satele Shan playing Huttball on the same side as Darth Malgus. Should be a great cinematic.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I simply want to say good luck to swtor, since i never rlly do...

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by Yuui

Well, you are wrong then.

As someone with a degree in art and design, I can safely say that this looks NOTHING like style used in KOTOR, Thats like saying that Transformers Animated has a same art design as M.Bay's movies. And this subject has been covered multiple times already.

Ok you proved me wrong since you got a degree in art and design. Who can prove you wrong now with that degree of yours?

lol thats great :) I don't have a degree in art and design, but I took a couple classes while in college and currently get paid for creating art and designs. Does payment over a degree triumph? haha anyways...

For lore, this Huttball game would have been received better if 3 factions (the BH / SM type class one) existed instead of the 2 factions. Otherwise to fit lore well, the teams would need to be restricted to bounty hunters, smugglers, disgraced commandos, and maybe an imp agent or two haha.

So much hate going on here :)

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

Originally posted by Evile

Kinda stupid. Honorable Jedi in a huttball league fighting for sport? Sith lords reduced to a TV sport? Seems a bit of a immersion breaker to me.

Using your saber to score a goal in a TV game? Maybe if the game gave you a team uniform, and you used some sport weapon. 

Seems like PVP is a joke to these guys. Disappointing

My thoughts too. Huttball is a "really, really terrible" ideal. 

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

As someone with a degree in art and design, I can safely say that this looks NOTHING like style used in KOTOR, Thats like saying that Transformers Animated has a same art design as M.Bay's movies. And this subject has been covered multiple times already.

That degree obvously makes you have a better opinion than everyone else here. Lets pack up boys, and let the guy with a degree in art and design tell everyone what things look like.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

I think there may be a misunderstanding here, correct me if I'm wrong. I too thought teams could be mixed, but apparently what they meant is that a republic team can fight another republic team, not that republic and empire players will be fighting on the same team.

I'm willing to admit that a jedi playing this game is questionable, however I don't see a problem with it with the other classes, not even the Sith who would be more than willing to challenge themselves with it. Also, I might have a hard time seeing Obi Wan playing this, but I could totally see Anakin playing it. Jedi aren't all the same, especially in the era the game is set in.

If you're concerned about the lore aspect of it, simply don't play it. It's not like it's any different from all the other junk that goes on in MMOs that breaks immersion, like that guy that likes to bunny hop around you while you're trying to have an rp conversation with a friend. That sort of stuff happens in any game out there, period; and this pvp game to me is far less immersive breaking than that and isn't as lore breaking as others are making it out to be.

Odds are even if I do choose to go the hardcore rp route in this game there will be times when I throw off the rp cloak and just go have some fun and play Hutball.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    We tend to go down a funneled pathed within are mindsets that impossibilitates us from seeing an addition such as this from a larger perspective. Suffice to say, HuttBall serves a single overarching purpose: to provide a fun yet optional mini-game. All you champions of the mighty Role-playing cause need to get off your high horses and perceive the real intention of this element to the game.
  • justincojustinco Member Posts: 12

The joke of PvP in MMO's continues....sigh.

• Pace2002Pace2002 Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by gaou

i know plenty of people aren't going to agree with it but here is the reasoning behind it

DanielErickson General Discussion -> New Announcement at Games COM! HUTT BALL! MUST SEE!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Threadnought

Why the **** are Imperials and republicans playing a game of football against each other?

That's the question I have for DE and his writing staff.

Hey Folks,

Totally fair question. I wrote Huttball personally and gave it my big stamp of approval. Huttball came from a request by the pvp team to have a mode that could mix sides in the event of unbalanced factions. So it's not Empire vs Republic playing insane death sports, it's anyone who wants to win some prizes and flex their muscles going to Nar Shaddaa, gambling center of the galaxy, and blowing off some steam. Story is important but so are alternate, setting-appropriate activities that give some depth and variety to the world and the gameplay experience. There is a crazy Hutt that likes running huge arena events for his amusement. Your choice if that's the way your Bounty Hunter enjoys spending his downtime.

Hope that helps,

Daniel Erickson

........what a joke, is this guy high? 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Huttballs rules and all mmos should have this implemented.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

hutt ball looks like fun . Its a great way to put a new spin on pvp. plus having empire and republic on same team should be interesting. The fact if u hold onto ball to long it blows up sounds fun as well. 

Seems to me roleplayers dont have to do huttball. As the devs stated its optional if your character isnt the type to take part in games for money or fun then its not for ul. 

This is run by the hutts by the way a neutral fadtion for money. Seems like something a bounty hunter or smuggler woudl do for the pay day at the end of it to me.

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

Watching videos on this, I can say for a fact that I will be playing. Huttball looks awesome.

To all the nerds that say omg this breaks immersion: really? I mean REALLY? And obi wan betting on a pod race, debate over. ORIGINAL CANNON.

Why is immersion more important than fun? This looks like an awesome CTF mode.

Also to all the people going "yawn, a ctf mode, get original!!" What if they DIDNT have this, and they only had a arathi basin mode. You guys act like the game has to have everything, yet also be original with everything down to core concepts.

every single person cheers when the smuggler at level 14 mind you, stun grenades a guy then nut kicks another to score. IT IS FUN.

and thats why I play games, to have fun.

• PeetRockPeetRock Member Posts: 7

I never followed star wars so i dont give a shit if a fucking red lightsaber guy is on the same team as a alien with tenticles for hair... i admit it isnt anything new but it isnt anything worse? basically they playing it safe...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by Yuui

Ok you proved me wrong since you got a degree in art and design. Who can prove you wrong now with that degree of yours?

I once was looking at a painting and had decided to buy it when the artist asked me why I liked it.  I gave my reasoning and he then went on to tell me how I was wrong and that his Masters Level Art Degree qualified him to say so because . . . Well, I then turned around and told him I hope he can eat a Masters Level Art Degree because my money would be staying in my pocket instead of buying painting, then walked away glad I had saved the money.  I guess I really should thank him, he saved me $500.00 that day.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Actualy seeing this huttball it looks like alot of fun, and I for one will be playing it. Fun is the most important thing in these games, without fun, we have another world of Warcraft
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Don't know about you guys but if i capture a flag and hold onto it, it doens't blow up later.

If you hold the ball to long it does explode in your face and leave a crater in the ground where you were.  

So thats a mighty dangerous flag. Course on that same note, soccer, rugby, and football could be a form of capture the flag, but oddly they aren't seen that way, so i'll just disagree on the capture the flag type thing. 

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Capturing a Flag looks less silly than moving a Metal Ball?

I dont think so.

Im fine with the idea, they maybe Sith or Jedi but they are living creatures. If you want to do it either for fun, money or fame do it if not dont do it.

• AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

-to state your opinion is of course both granted and expected,this is a forum. Won't even touch that.

-but to all the MORONS saying it kills immersion..the Hutts 'could' and probably 'would have' done something quite similar, with the assumption the audience would be large enough to score them some serious credits. To all the MORONS that think it would be impossible to see opposing sides team up for money, i ask them to do what they only pretend to do. Check that lore a bit more. There were Hutt organisations with roots in both sides way,way after swtor timeline.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Amannas

-to state your opinion is of course both granted and expected,this is a forum. Won't even touch that.

-but to all the MORONS saying it kills immersion..the Hutts 'could' and probably 'would have' done something quite similar, with the assumption the audience would be large enough to score them some serious credits. To all the MORONS that think it would be impossible to see opposing sides team up for money, i ask them to do what they only pretend to do. Check that lore a bit more. There were Hutt organisations with roots in both sides way,way after swtor timeline.

Excellent post!

Like I said before...I don't even LIKE small scale combat - but this just looks fun!  And you know what?  If my Consular happens to get 'intel' that a certain (insert opposing enemy here) is going to be on NS, and might be at the game, of COURSE he's going to be there - that's ALL the IC reasoning I need to partake in this!