Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Totalbiscuit Compares GW2 and SW:TOR

Comments

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Draemos

Originally posted by Hedeon

as a end he couldnt have said it more clear SWToR = WoW(HIGHLY traditional were the word he used) with voice story  GW2 new and refreshing - tho can expect some people wont like that it have a more action game feel to its combat than most MMOs, which is why he seem to prefer GW2, because he like its combat, and it got a more free form quest objectives system than the current MMO standard

Actually he said SWTOR=KotOR w/ traditional MMO trappings.  

He seems to be saying whatever people want to hear :)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Kelthius

I'm starting to think I may like TOR more. Why? It seems that in every GW2 or TOR thread, some douchebag GW2 fan makes it a "GW2 is better" thread. I know every game has it's douchebags but the GW2 community is starting to look like the WoW community.

My thoughts exactly. I hope GW2 players love GW2...that way they will stay there and not try SWTOR.

Originally posted by CalmOceans

GW2 disappointed me, I was excited until I actually saw the game in action. He has a video playing the game.

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

Character selection looks like some unfinished Photoshop....thing...I don't even knwo how to discribe this:

Characters themselves look hidious to me, even though the GW1 actually looked ok.

The game itself, I don't even know what I was looking at, it's one big blurry mess:

WOW...those are horrible photos. The art style in GW2 is really lame.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Comparing the 2 mmos is just idiotic.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Precusor

Here's your sign.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Precusor

No it is not.

Counting up each games good and bad sides is what reviewers should be doing, it helps people decide which game if any (or both) a certain player should keep his eyes on.

Saying that one game just is better is less useful.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Draemos

Actually he said SWTOR=KotOR w/ traditional MMO trappings.  

Sounds like the best reason to actually play this game that I have heard.  I won't be playing it because I never really got into the whole KotOR story to start with.  I don't really intend to either.  Same goes for ohter bioware games (for no real reason).

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by bigsmiff

GW2 disappointed me, I was excited until I actually saw the game in action. He has a video playing the game.

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

Character selection looks like some unfinished Photoshop....thing...I don't even knwo how to discribe this:

Characters themselves look hidious to me, even though the GW1 actually looked ok.

The game itself, I don't even know what I was looking at, it's one big blurry mess:

Their art team is probably the most renowned in the entire gaming industry right now. They are AWESOME! I have not seen anything in a long time that even comes close. Not even  Hyung-tae Kim!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by eluldor

1 hour ago update...checking out the smuggler class.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut#p/u/1/pxMbI30KKJ0

worth a view.

Its probably the best traditional MMO...

Whole point tough for this topic, is that both are good games, just meant for different people...

Personally i'll play TOR for the story untill GW2 arives, and i know i will love that.. 

And GW2 has cast my hopes high for adding more action to the traditional MMO gameplay... in a well rounded package..

I agree on the point for this topic. Posted that to reinforce the TOR side, since the GW 2 fans were starting to pop out and go at it :)

Both games obviously have thier own positive elements, that will or will not be accepted or even viewed positive by the community. I got the impression that the positives TB offered for GW 2 were more than TOR, and again this is just one guy's opinion and his comments for both gamers were solid - and he'll most likely be playing both anyways.

I'll be playing both as well.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

I dont need comparive reviews, I'll be getting both...

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

what damn idiot compares a PvP with a story driven PvE game?

Some people just like to enter flame wars, and a stupid one nonetheless. Whats better, peanut butter or a BMW automobile?

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

Guys... Please create your own opinion about those fucking games. If you like it play it... Why everyone is searching for critics and comparisons. This blows my mind its seems like if someone says bad thing about mmo than i will believe him. Its everyones personal opinion and please make your own mind.

Originally posted by Kalfer

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

Their art team is probably the most renowned in the entire gaming industry right now. They are AWESOME! I have not seen anything in a long time that even comes close. Not even  Hyung-tae Kim!

Not everyone likes the Eastern art style...

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

Eastern art style? Eastern art is nothing like GW2 Art... They tried to implement modern artistic look in the game (which they succeded). I preffer GW2 art than any other game art so far. Everything they did with this game is new and refreshing and has this"I've never seen/played anything like this before" effect in every aspect of the game. They tried to go away from the standards and make a next gen mmo, and as I see it, they succeded... 

Tho game isn't out yet, I'm judging the game by gameplays, trailers, interviews, first impressions and stories from my friends, PVP showmatches and many more... Gotta wait till the game's out and try it for myself to be able of judging the game in full...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by tryklon
    Whats better, peanut butter or a BMW automobile?

Peanut butter obviously. Can't eat a BMW.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by korent1991

Eastern art style? Eastern art is nothing like GW2 Art... They tried to implement modern artistic look in the game (which they succeded). I preffer GW2 art than any other game art so far. Everything they did with this game is new and refreshing and has this"I've never seen/played anything like this before" effect in every aspect of the game. They tried to go away from the standards and make a next gen mmo, and as I see it, they succeded... 

Tho game isn't out yet, I'm judging the game by gameplays, trailers, interviews, first impressions and stories from my friends, PVP showmatches and many more... Gotta wait till the game's out and try it for myself to be able of judging the game in full...

Yeah I think the guy is grasping at straws. I don't see any "eastern style" in this art work. For that go look at art for TERA and Blade & Sould and compare.

• Sheesh the question isn't which game is better it's how do I plan my time to play both - honestly both games are enough different than current offerings that they both deserve play time.

Peanut Butter or BMW?  Nah the better question is Ninja or Pirate?  Even better what kind of pie?

As for Total Biscuit's video's - a big thank you to him for doing all of them.

• I think totalbuiscuit is one of the dumbest mmo reviewers, but I suppose I can give a listen. His fanboism is pretty big when it comes to MMos and he hardly ever gives a real unbiased review. I know being unbiased is difficult, but I at least like it to be masked a little instead of just obvious beyond all belief.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

....snort!!!.....woah!!! dozed off there!!!

Don't try to watch that long-winded thing when you're tired....you won't make it past the first 30 seconds.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Don't try to watch that long-winded thing when you're tired....you won't make it past the first 30 seconds.

Haha. I actually like Totalbiscuit. And I think the title is a bit deceiving, he never really compares the two games. He states his preference a little bit but you also have to consider what he has said in the past (ie he is tired of hotkey mmos).

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Haha. I actually like Totalbiscuit. And I think the title is a bit deceiving, he never really compares the two games. He states his preference a little bit but you also have to consider what he has said in the past (ie he is tired of hotkey mmos).

Yeah, you are correct.  He doesn't really compares them so much as he gives you his reasons for wanting to play both games.  They are different games, and people have been looking for every reason to try and compare these 2 games.  TB basically says both games will be good in their own way, but says that the reason he will play SWTOR is because it is basically like KotOR but online.  In contrast, his reasons for wanting to play GW2 are punchy and actiony combat that fixes the problems that he (TB) has with the hotkey combat system, social and immersive dynamic events, and other features like VO and the skill aquisition system.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I did enjoy the GW1 art style no doubt.  I said that many times.

I just hope we don't see the TERRRRRRRRRIBLE resolutions they use on 90% of everything.  The art was great.  But terrain, armor, walls, etc.  All looked hidious.  I know Bioware has used some very low resolution textures in some games, but not on the level of GW1.

I think the art style and graphics look just about the same.  Able to run on most computers.  But improvements to look up to date and better!

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Well thats what people have been saying since the announcement of both games. Guild Wars 2 is just a whole different game with a different business model oh and of course Arena is way more independent than  Bioware right now, so they can do things Bioware cant.

Bioware is aiming for people who love cinematic stories, while Arenanet is aiming for competitive maybe esport PvP and time to time players. I think both will succeed in targeting their crowd though favoring Guild Wars 2 in the long run because they are doing things never seen before. Once people are finished with Biowares story some will relaize its the same old same old just with a cinematic story.

...for those who like both games I hope theyll enjoy their time in either one.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Kelthius

I'm starting to think I may like TOR more. Why? It seems that in every GW2 or TOR thread, some douchebag GW2 fan makes it a "GW2 is better" thread. I know every game has it's douchebags but the GW2 community is starting to look like the WoW community.

My thoughts exactly. I hope GW2 players love GW2...that way they will stay there and not try SWTOR.

Thanks for showing by your example how great that TOR community is! After all only saintly TOR fans can judge a whole game community off of one forum, after all they are so much better than everyone else so they have the right to judge us!

The hypocrisy of these two posts is funny as heck. I just wish I was so perfect so I could start condemning a whole section of society! Maybe next you godly TOR fans can tell us all how to live right so we are not a disappointment to everyone anymore!

• Originally posted by DerWotan

Well thats what people have been saying since the announcement of both games. Guild Wars 2 is just a whole different game with a different business model oh and of course Arena is way more independent than  Bioware right now, so they can do things Bioware cant.

Bioware is aiming for people who love cinematic stories, while Arenanet is aiming for competitive maybe esport PvP and time to time players. I think both will succeed in targeting their crowd though favoring Guild Wars 2 in the long run because they are doing things never seen before. Once people are finished with Biowares story some will relaize its the same old same old just with a cinematic story.

...for those who like both games I hope theyll enjoy their time in either one.

Why is Arena Net considered more independent than Bioware?  I thought NC Soft owned Arena Net and that EA owned Bioware, not sure either can claim independence.  Not trying to put down either, just honestly want to know.