Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Story of the Week: WildStar Revealed

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This week's reigning news king deservedly goes to Carbine Studios and their newly announced MMORPG: WildStar Online. Though there was stiff competition coming out of Gamescom 2011, this bright new star (pun intended) has everyone talking.

There’s simply too much info coming out of GamesCom this year.  From the PvP reveals for Guild Wars 2 and Funcom’s The Secret World, to The Old Republic’s outstanding showing of the Eternity Vault, to Warhammer Online’s PvP MOBA, and even Blizzard’s Transmogrification in WoW 4.3.  The week was not without plenty of news to cover.  But one blip deserves a spot among this week’s SotW more than all the rest, by the simple fact that it’s the first of many such “blips” we hope to hear over the next few years.

Carbine Studios and NCsoft finally announced their first project: WildStar Online.

Read the rest of our Story of the Week: WildStar Online Revealed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

I love the style, the color. MMOS are getting too serious these days and WOW was the only last MMO i remember which is full of humour and doesn't take itself too seriously. Wildstar gives me the same vibe and i am really stoked about it. Something tells me i will be laughing and smiling a lot while playing this.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I agree with this being story of the week.

It came out of nowhere (to me at least) and looks great.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Agree totally was quite refreshing.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Yes, the game is certainly intriguing and seems to have come out of nowhere.

Whether it stays intriguing (for me) will depend on how solo friendly it is, something I still don't have a good sense of. I'm kind of burned out on LFG-dependent games. 

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

kewl, since when did mmorpg star getting advertisers.  Funny, the dude on the motorcycle reminded me of the main character in therpg pc game Fullthrottle.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by eycel

...  Funny, the dude on the motorcycle reminded me of the main character in therpg pc game Fullthrottle.

Yeah, absolutely! :) The Full Throttle guy's name was Ben. "When I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt and trouble." One of my favorite games of all time. I think the futuristic western theme along with the short guitar riffs here and there does the effect. 

By the way, I'm somewhat digging this game. Has a refreshing sense of fun to it... honestly I'd prefer it if they went a bit more Moebius or Mézières in their style given they've listed Euro-comics among their influences, but still, the artwork's undeniably got character. 

Let's see if their novelties in MMO gameplay turn out to be fun, too.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by Nikopol

Originally posted by eycel

...  Funny, the dude on the motorcycle reminded me of the main character in therpg pc game Fullthrottle.

Yeah, absolutely! :) The Full Throttle guy's name was Ben. "When I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt and trouble." One of my favorite games of all time. I think the futuristic western theme along with the short guitar riffs here and there does the effect. 

By the way, I'm somewhat digging this game. Has a refreshing sense of fun to it... honestly I'd prefer it if they went a bit more Moebius or Mézières in their style given they've listed Euro-comics among their influences, but still, the artwork's undeniably got character. 

Let's see if their novelties in MMO gameplay turn out to be fun, too.

ya I just watched a playthrough after I posted about it for half an hour.  fun game, I dont think I made it past the arena part now that I thnk about it.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

So many people are going to call this a WoW clone i can see it happening.

Kids will be kids.

To me it looks really fun and definitely something i'll be hyping.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

This game looks wickedly fun.  Don't care if it is a WoW clone.   If it is fun to play, and it looks like it is going to be just that, I am there.   I also agree that his blindsided a lot of us.   Carbine should get an award for best ninja'd game announcement.   This is one game I will definitely be keeping my eyes and ears open on.   ^_^

• owmartowmart Member Posts: 6

I agree. I am very interested and excited about this game from what i am seeing so far. I signed up for beta on there website. Hopefully they will reveal some more info about the game in the coming weeks!

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Looks good, looked too good to be true, then I saw NCSoft and found out I was right.

Will never buy another NCSoft produced game ever again.

• Originally posted by eycel

kewl, since when did mmorpg star getting advertisers.  Funny, the dude on the motorcycle reminded me of the main character in therpg pc game Fullthrottle.

Umm, Full Throttle was a Graphic Adventure Game, not an RPG. Just saying.....  :)

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458
    if by "WoW Clone" they mean obnoxiously fun and addicting, then count me in! I haven't played WoW in years, can't stand it, but this game definitely looks like it has something going for it.
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

This reveal was a very nice surprise indeed. I love the art style and it just seems to have a refreshing feeling of fun and adventure to it. I don't care about those who scream clone all of the time. If I have fun playing, then nothing else matters. People take this stuff way too seriously these days.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

A couple paragraphs and a trailer and people are already saying "count me in!" o.O well until I get some real info on the game all I can say is that I'll keep my eyes on it. I love the graphics but don't care for the character models to much.

• Hyuuga_XHyuuga_X Member Posts: 5

When I was at Gamescom this game looked kinda kiddy to me. I havn´t seen it before so at first I was kind of surprized. But when I watched the ingame footage I was dissapointed. I mean the colors and everythink look sweet, but I just think this game is more something for 10-15 year olds. Not really something you´d wanna play as an adult.

And when they were giving out Wildstar goodies, DAMN that dude was SO annoying I'd wanna slap him in the face.

He: What's the name of this game?

Crowd: Wildstar!

He: What do you want to play?

He: What do I want to hear?

He: left!

Left crowd: Wildstar!

He: Right!

Right crowd: Wilstar!

He: In the middle!

Middle crowd: Wildstar!

He: In the back!

Crown in the back: Wildstar!

And then he would finally throw 1 cap or a shirt and repeat it again and again and again.

We got hypnotized and traumatized for life.. When I'm having a nightmare I will wake up and scream WILDSTAR!!!11!¡¡oneone!!

I only stood there to watch some Guild Wars 2 footage which was at the same booth and all I got was a stupid Wilstar cap

• Hyuuga_XHyuuga_X Member Posts: 5

hmm I hate typo's xD

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

The video was fun to watch.  If they're smart, they will use these characters in more videos and have them in game as NPCs.  It will be a way to better tie this marketing to the game. "Hey, its so-and-so from the videos!"

With that said, I'm not thrilled about the anime style purple-haired woman-animal.  Just not the style I'm looking for in a game.  But if the game isn't going to take itself too seriously, maybe they will still fit in the game.  (I'm sure my opinion is vastly outnumbered by all the anime fans here, but keep in mind its just my opinion. -- I'm not demanding that they be removed from the game.)

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

This looks amazing, I think everyone needs to have a casual MMO they play. Just to help relax! This looks like my next one, funny and lighthearted. 

Personally I love NCsoft games, but I know that many people will be put off by them.

I am hoping that this games gets moving :D