Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How I struggle with a grocery check list mentality and how GW2 could cure me of this.

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I can't be the only one that does this.

I log into a mmo and mentally i have a check list of mini objectives i want to finish before my session is done.

Do crafting dailies... Check!

Do Event Dailies... Check!

Do Dungeon Dailies... Check!

Do Faction Dailies... Check!

Do pvp Dailies... Check!

Check Mail box for my AH sales... Check!

Put more shit on AH... Check!

Log off.

Every fucking session is like that, mmos are no longer games at this point. I'm roleplaying a fucking grocery shopping simulation!

Its automated, nothings fun at this point  its repeating the same shit over and over for some stupid reward.

Sad thing is every game is like that.

So How will Guild Wars cure me of this crap? Because the game world is dynamic, its not structured at all. You basically roam around and do whats FUN for you! Remember fun? Yeah thats what mmos leave behind once you get to the point of just running daily check lists...

So  Bring it on people, I'm ready to have fun... lets leave the grocery shopping simulations for a market aye? these are games and games are for fun!

Thanks for reading.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I really try not to dash peoples hopes when it comes to GW2, but can we please wait for it to release before claiming it will not do any of that?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I hate the whole grocery list mentality that was fostered by WoW.  The dailies were the final nail in that coffin.  All that grocery lists lead to is BURN OUT, pure and simple.  It might be fun for a while keeping things orderly and done, but it WILL, at some point, become a JOB.  I don't know about you, but I don't need my games to be jobs.

GW2 doesn't have "quests" in the traditional sense. There is no quest log, no....checking stuff off, so to speak.  That ALONE is worth a lot to me, personally.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Well though I agree with you I would like to point out it's voluntary :)

I once deleted all my quests in LOTRO and wandered around for days without a single one in protest over my best friend insisting that we finish every quest, deed, and daily skirmish there is in the game.

I have enough of a todo list in real life that never seems to go away.  Don't need the nagging in game too.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Puremallace

I really try not to dash peoples hopes when it comes to GW2, but can we please wait for it to release before claiming it will not do any of that?

Think about it,  what reason does A-net have to add in daily repetitive tasks to the game? We dont pay a subscription why would they need me to stay in the game slaving away at dailies for some peice of gear?

I mean what are we working for in GW2? other than having fun roaming around bashing pve shit and each other in W vW? 

The reason the shopping list gameplay exists is because p2p games need you to log in!

Honestly i havent read about one feature in GW2 that makes me think ill have to play like i do in every other mmo on the market.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Z3R01

So  Bring it on people, I'm ready to have fun... lets leave the grocery shopping simulations for a market aye? these are games and games are for fun!

Thanks for reading.

Fun is subjective. The activities that appear like a grocery check for you might be fun for others. Maybe most of the players don't even look at it that way and just do any of these activties in no particular order. I have been playings MMOS since EQ and i was and still having lots of fun. I am pretty sure players will continue to have fun even after GW2. In a month or two you can easily come up with a grocery list for things to do in GW2, it is just how you approach games maybe?

Originally posted by Puremallace

I don't think anyone is going to claim that it won't do ANY of that, but they have already shown in live gameplay videos how they do SOME of that, and it is not the traditional way.  They have said they're going to try to eliminate the grind.  From what I have seen so far....I believe they are trying to do just that.

No one is saying the game is perfect, (okay maybe some are, but no one in this thread is so far) but if you want to reject the evidence that it makes some improvements, well....that's just silly on your part.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I quit WoW when I noticed that pattern (it's been about 4 years I'd guess since I quit...a little before the Northrend stuff). I liked WoW, though I mostly did Battlegrounds. But it simply got to be work. So I stopped.

I've tried a bunch of games since then. I enjoyed some, didn't enjoy others. In the end I stopped my subs. I resubbed to WAR recently and just had a great time taking a bare, raw, penniless lvl 1 into Nordland RvR. 4 hours passed before I knew what happened. I had upgraded a little in my gear, but didn't really worry about it so much. That's what I like...I get rewarded (granted, on a basic level) for just playing the game. There is no list of stuff I have to do. I level, but don't pay it much attention.

When I get everything I want out of a game just by engaging in PvP...to me, that's a wonderful thing.

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Thanks for reading.

Fun is subjective. The activities that appear like a grocery check for you might be fun for others. Maybe most of the players don't even look at it that way and just do any of these activties in no particular order. I have been playings MMOS since EQ and i was and still having lots of fun. I am pretty sure players will continue to have fun even after GW2. In a month or two you can easily come up with a grocery list for things to do in GW2, it is just how you approach games maybe?

Obviously we all have our own opinions... how i do things doesnt reflect how everyone who ever played a mmo does things...

Thanks for adding to the thread image

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Thanks for reading.

Obviously we all have our own opinions... how i do things doesnt reflect how everyone who ever played a mmo does things...

Considering you were trying to remind us that these are games and games are for fun i thought you were trying to tell us how to have fun.

• select20select20 Member Posts: 130

Yeah, I agree. Once dailies came out, I fell into this mentality. It never really bothered me until ToC came out and I would grind those same stupid dailies every day, first thing when I logged on.  It got to the point where I was so driven to finish those, that I was dreading it. Once I got the Champion title on 3 toons, I quit wow for like 6 months. Came back, finish LK off, and was excited for Cata.

I got to max level in Cata and guess what I found to do at max level? More dailies!!! Yay. I quit a month after Cata released for 6 months. Came back in July, quit after 3 days to see nothing had changed.

I agree with the OP this mentality sucks. I recently picked up EQ2 to play through it. I'm going at a slow pace. It might have dailies to it, but it will net me a few months of entertainment before I have to think about that. I'm really looking forward to GW2 and to a lesser extent SWTOR only because I'm wanting the MMO industry to make another change or step forward. I'm hoping one of these titles can bring it.

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it."

Thanks for reading.

Considering you were trying to remind us that these are games and games are for fun i thought you were trying to tell us how to have fun.

Not at all, look at the title this all about me. a soap box moment if you will. has nothing to do with you lol.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Grocery lists are usually a means to an end.  Even GW has dailies, and a lot of people like them.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

It will have a story line... which is like reading a book! =)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

The "grocery list" is usually a sign that I'll be quitting for greener pastures pretty soon.  It happens once I've exhausted the content on at least one play through.  With good games, that could take more than a year, usually dependant on how interesting it is to run new characters through the game again.  With other games, it's a matter of weeks because once was more than enough.

At a guess, I'm thinking that GW2 will make individual character experiences varied enough that I won't hit that wall quickly.  If new expansions come out frequently enough, it could be a very long time before I resort to checking off items on a list each time I log in.  We'll see.  But I'm less concerned about becoming prematurely bored playing this game than I would be for any other, just based on the way it's been built.

• tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

Hype will  lead to disappointment; trolling leads to astonishment.

I too do the same thing. I call it prechekalistal gamer syndrome

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by just1opinion

I hate the whole grocery list mentality that was fostered by WoW.  The dailies were the final nail in that coffin.  All that grocery lists lead to is BURN OUT, pure and simple.  It might be fun for a while keeping things orderly and done, but it WILL, at some point, become a JOB.  I don't know about you, but I don't need my games to be jobs.

GW2 doesn't have "quests" in the traditional sense. There is no quest log, no....checking stuff off, so to speak.  That ALONE is worth a lot to me, personally.

Theres no quests, but then there is this OCD thing that wont let me leave a place before the heart is full image

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

amen, sister!

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

It's real easy.  Just don't do that.  I ignore dailies, I log on, I decide what I want to do today and I do it.  When I'm done doing what I want to do, I log off.  End of story.  But then again, I'm not competing against anyone else, I'm not trying to race to endgame, I'm not trying to impress anyone.  I'm playing to have fun.  Screw everyone else.

You only have that checklist because you insist on keeping up with the Jones'.  Knock it off and it becomes a lot more fun.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Fir3line

Theres no quests, but then there is this OCD thing that wont let me leave a place before the heart is full image

Great.  Just what I need....more "OCD things."

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

The only game I've played up until it got to the point of doing dailies is EQ2 and I have resisted doing them so far.  In fact, you would probably have to twist my arm to do any.  I hate boring repetitive quests and that's also why I haven't leveled up a second character past 62.  I don't like going through the same exact content twice and I don't like doing repeatable quests. (I'm excited about the fact that it's going to be possible to not play the game through the same way twice)

It also helps that I'm pretty forgetful and can't remember to do dailies. 

I got to max level and max tradeskill level and I'm in no rush to hit max AA level because really, what is there after that?  Not much.  And don't say raiding.  I loathe raiding.  I went through that in EQ1 and burnt myself out so badly that I made sure I didn't do it again when I came to EQ2. While I have gone on a couple of lowbie raids, it's still not my thing.  I find raiding more boring than grinding dailies, which is saying something since grinding dailies is pretty boring.

Anyway, my hope for GW2 is that it doesn't get like that, and if it does get to dailies, they find some way to make it somewhat interesting and not something that is looked at as a chore or a job.  But as many have stated before, we really have to wait and see what happens when the game goes live.  Yes people have tried it out, but not everyone has and everyone is different.  We just have to wait and see.

That being said, I'm extremely excited about this game and I can't wait until it comes out.  I hope it's everything I expect it to be and more. A little overly optimistic?  maybe, but that's just how I am with most things.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Very good point. I so much hated that in WOW.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

I guess I can count my blessing's I never got into the WOW thing, I can't imagine playing a game in such a way, or with such a mentality.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

This is a player problem not a games problem, devs are just providing things for you to do if you mentally set them up as a checklist thats your problem so either change your behavior or continue to be stressed. GW2 will be no different just think of all those titles in GW1 that took much time to complete, dev's can only produce so much content in a reasonable timeframe and will always resort to repetative tasks, so only do things you find fun and enjoyable its a simple as that.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

Originally posted by Calerxes

This is a player problem not a games problem, devs are just providing things for you to do if you mentally set them up as a checklist thats your problem so either change your behavior or continue to be stressed. GW2 will be no different just think of all those titles in GW1 that took much time to complete, dev's can only produce so much content in a reasonable timeframe and will always resort to repetative tasks, so only do things you find fun and enjoyable its a simple as that.

I agree.  Just because GW2 won't have a subscription model doesn't mean it won't have repetitive tasks.  In fact to think otherwise is incredibly naive.  They stil need you to play regularly in order to get you to buy things from the store, maintain your interest, and purchase epansions.  In this regard, it is no different from any other game, and expecting anything diferent is setting yourself up for extreme disapointment.

Personally, I remain unconvinced that GW2 will be everything that ANet says it will be.  It has some great things going for it, but to be perfectly honest, it looks like most other MMOs in many respects.  Anyway, the point is not to incite a flame war about how great GW2 will be, but rather to illustrate that the indistry has certain standards and expectations.  ANet is a solid developer, and I don't think they are stupid enough to try and reinvent the wheel with so many other titles coming out.  They need something that will compete and will draw in many players.  At the end of the day, one's gaming experience is what you make of it, NOT what the developer makes of it.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

This has to be the one number reason why I don't play or at least don't pay to play MMOs anymore. The problem is that the element of discovery and exploration are punished by the very existence of quest markers and quest givers. A quest is not a task of the mundane sort, it's a life defining pursuit. Killing any number of any creature is not really life defining (unless you're a mass murderer...?). The fact that MMO developers continue to worship at the altar of design by committee is what drives me nuts. You'd think after the numerous failures to replicate WoW's success, they'd get the point. At least, Arenanet did. >_>