Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Trion Shows Off Syfy Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion and Syfy have been on hand at the 2011 Gamescom showing of the collaborative effort called Defiance. The teams are celebrating with the release of nine new in-game screenshots. Check them out in our Defiance gallery.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This isn't enough to jump to conclusions or make assumptions. We need some videos. VIDEOS!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The video that was shown at Gamescom is the same one that's on Trion's site right now so...yeah, we're gonna have to wait for more!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

At the very least we should see some UI. A screen shot without a UI isnt "in-game" and means nothing to actual gamers.

Originally posted by aslan132
    At the very least we should see some UI. A screen shot without a UI isnt "in-game" and means nothing to actual gamers.

I think they hide the UI for a long time on purpose. It's there, they just don't want anyone seeing it. I guess it makes the in game footage and images look more cinematic. Plus the UI is something that can change dramatically close to the release date.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by aslan132

Being an "actual gamer" myself, I take umbrage at that statement. :P

Whether or not the UI is included in the screenshot doesn't render it any less an "in game" image. As Lizardbone said, the UI is the most mercurial feature in any game and it changes a LOT between early iterations of the game and further on in development.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• arkontearkonte Member Posts: 3

what the shit is this? Firefall? The Secret World? It looks worse

Originally posted by arkonte
    what the s*!t is this? Firefall? The Secret World? It looks worse

I don't know why, but your post makes me laugh. I get an image of a person with messy hair just waking up all wild eyed and crazy. :-)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I agree it does look rather bad and I assume it will not become a graphicaly awsome game, but I think we can assume that these are images from a early game and will at least improve somewhat.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by lizardbones

This isn't enough to jump to conclusions or make assumptions. We need some videos. VIDEOS!

I agree.  The more footage, the better.  Marketing (talk, random screenshots) doesn't get me excited about most PC games and especially MMOs anymore.  I love great graphics and story, but if the game doesn't play well, it doesn't matter.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Well, remember this is also being developed for consoles, so expect some heavy restrictions.

For those who don't know, the hype about this game is that there will be a TV show based on the game world, as in, player actions should theorically have some impact on how the show develops or at least vice-versa.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Coman

I agree it does look rather bad and I assume it will not become a graphicaly awsome game, but I think we can assume that these are images from a early game and will at least improve somewhat.

No doubt...im sure with the money pot there (Trion and Syfy channel) we should see if nothing else a very pretty game.  Some might not agree, but I liked rift so if this is anything like it...it will pull atleast 6 months of my money out of my wallet :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

At this point I could literally care less if it looks like Baldur's Gate as long as it's a fun and original experience.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

damn... disappointed, their syfy game was suppose to tie-in to a tv series... still might but the graphics are a little iffy. At one point it was lead to believe the actions of gamers would alter the tv show... from these images I'm picturing halo... not an immersive show changer.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• odinfishodinfish Member Posts: 40

I'm really not impressed by what I see...

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Anyone call this a WoW clone yet? If not, I call first dibs! 

This game is such a WoW clone!

Can I join the intellectual elite now that I came up such a profound description of the game?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by rodingo

Can I join the intellectual elite now that I came up such a profound description of the game?

No because you have a signature image of a WoW clone.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

SyFy pulled the plug on Farscape back in the day and therefor must be shown no love or mercy =)

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by C0MA

damn... disappointed, their syfy game was suppose to tie-in to a tv series... still might but the graphics are a little iffy. At one point it was lead to believe the actions of gamers would alter the tv show... from these images I'm picturing halo... not an immersive show changer.

Wait....what....I mean.....eh?

You can picture an FPS game from 19 screenshots from a 3rd person MMORPG....

Wow....Im....eh....'tard?

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I could careless about the scy-fy tie in,what I am interested in is the shooter mmo part and if they make that part play good then I dont mind the graphics.Besides this game isnt even in alpha stages is it?And yet some are posting such negativity here lol.Whether you liked Rift or not the game released pretty smooth and hope this one does as well.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by lizardbones

Oh the irony.  Your statement is a conclusion based on a personal assumption that you jumped to rather quickly... 

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

as far as you would like to belive the rumours going around in the business lounge on the gamescom defiance will release q4 2012.

and if i'm correctly informed they are not planning on adding ingame footage to the tv-serie, its the story which is important. this game is about an alien invasion on earth and when a corporation/guild does make a significant move against the aliens in f.e. freeing a town or win a minor battle it will have influence on the tv show. maybe even the corporation or special players will be named in this show. in return the content of the weekly tv show will have an impact on the game. maybe you get a patch after every show which adapt the global storyline.

well, its really too early to asume anything and as others stated before: lets wait and see.

Ok, how the hell do we post a pic around here please? lol

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Hope it's not the general run-of-the-mill, tv show or not.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Yeah I know I twisted what you just said.  I couldn't resist it, honest judge  lol

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Ok, how the hell do we post a pic around here please? lol

Like this?

2nd row of tools, 7th box from left, 1st icon in box,looks like a small colorful picture,click the icon copy the link from a source like photobucket or imageshack that you uploaded link to in the url box.