Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hope devs don't mess up Dark Millennium Online

I looked at the DMO website and I saw that in the game info they say "Side with the forces of Order, or the vile hosts of Destruction." 

http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/

This bothers me.  This tells me that they are going to $%^& up the game like they did with warhammer online and make it too much like wow. 

You can't make a successfull warhammer game and only have two factions.  Warhammer is about choas, life and death, being surounded, and doing what is neccissary to survive.  A game cannot make you feel these things by lumping all the various factions and races into two alliances. In 40k it wouldn't even make sense for  orcs to team with dark eldar for example.  Orcs are about getting the shinnies and good lootz while dark eldar want to enslave and torcher.  Their motivations are different, and at times conflicting.  I had an orc choppa in Warhammer online and he felt out of place in  groups with choas zealots, and witch elves. Forcing all the races into two "alliances" hurts the lore and feel of the game. 

I think DMO has the potential to be huge, even more so than Warhammer Online did, but they won't be successfull by doing sticking to the same tired format used by other games.  They need to be different and focus on the strengths of the series.  I know how I would do it, but no one asked me. 

Comments

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. But I'm very sure they've stated there will be two sides (Order and Destruction).

Then again, I might be wrong, and I can't be bothered with trying to find a source. Some interview IIRC.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

They've said a few time that they are working with Games Workshop, for all we know it could be a decision made by them.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Just because it's gonna have Games Workshop's cooperation doesn't mean squat.  Look at WAR.  "Chapter Approved?"

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55

whats wrong with order vs destruction? i mean its not really what killed WAR, it was the broken gameplay. plus they have said that it takes place at a certain point in the time line where they need to work together, and we dont even know how they are dealing with the "alliances" yet so it could mean that you can go into a fight where its only space marines vs chaos or you wont be able to just walk into the other races HQ and have a dance party. so just wait until we hear more about the faction stuff before we start judging it

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

I'm hoping they swap to a proper "let the chips fall where they may" plan; but if they do go for o9rder/destro they had better get it right; by blocking races from cross race capital's, better have a damn good reason and no 'Chaos has found a way to bring the gods into this realm" and then we forget the two faction bull shit and let the chips fall where they may.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• binkusbinkus Member Posts: 57

they should have made this game a new version of planetside

1st person shooter with character dev base assaults vehicles tbh this game looks awful longwinded and childish

very very dissapointed

nerf scissors! rock is fine...
    yours paper

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by binkus

they should have made this game a new version of planetside

1st person shooter with character dev base assaults vehicles tbh this game looks awful longwinded and childish

very very dissapointed

Longwinded and childish? You're just trolling now. Begone before I set the Inquisition on you.

wasnt a troll post

just think they have their target market wrong

and seriously think they have made the wrong choice in game play. this should have been a RPFPS

a quick fix game for massive multiplayer after the initial game in single player

as it is, i stand by my comment it will look nice but 80% of the players will not bother to complete the game through repetition and boredom

and i am saying this as a fan of GW this sort of game play is fine 5 years ago now it needs massive gratification for gamers, by that i mean players want to be the hero not captain ahab third person style lunacy.

Just sayin

U madbro?

yours paper

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by ironwarriorx

whats wrong with order vs destruction? i mean its not really what killed WAR, it was the broken gameplay. plus they have said that it takes place at a certain point in the time line where they need to work together, and we dont even know how they are dealing with the "alliances" yet so it could mean that you can go into a fight where its only space marines vs chaos or you wont be able to just walk into the other races HQ and have a dance party. so just wait until we hear more about the faction stuff before we start judging it

I agree, there is a lot of information we are missing at this point. Until they divulge more we have nothing but speculation and it is way too early to be judging it. I don't see how lore wise these factions could ever come together and work for a common good but at the same time, in order for the game to work it has to make some leeway to fit the MMO landscape.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

Originally posted by Acvivm

Originally posted by ironwarriorx

I agree, there is a lot of information we are missing at this point. Until they divulge more we have nothing but speculation and it is way too early to be judging it. I don't see how lore wise these factions could ever come together and work for a common good but at the same time, in order for the game to work it has to make some leeway to fit the MMO landscape.

Orks and Chaos isn't a stretch at all. Chaos manipulates them to be meat shields all the time.

As for the other side of the fight, both the Imperium and the Eldar are very much invested in the Sentinel devices remaining active. They may hate each other, but they're not stupid. Either they thwart chaos and defend the sentinel devices, or the entire Sargos sector becomes a second Eye of Terror. Bad news for both of them.

Alliances like this aren't unheard of either. Armageddon, the 13th Black Crusade, Medusa V, all of these campaigns have written cannon lore of each race involved (usually all of them) splitting up into Order and Destruction forces to accomplish like-minded goals.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

I guess there could be some concern that whilst alliances for example between the Imperium/Eldar do occur they tend to be short lived affairs usually packed with alot of distrust or outright hatred.

I think a two faction system could work but it would need to be well implemented and 'eased' into the setting with some decent surrounding lore/stories to make it a bit more believable. In this respect I would agree with the OP that it does 'bother me' but I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point - I'm still certainly going to play the game upon release and see how it feels.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    At first I wasn't worried about the two sided system. Lately though as i've been getting back to 40k I have my doubts about a two sided 40k game. This is the best IP but it might have been too much, making an mmorpg that includes all these armies and sides the texture and grittiness of this IP would take an incredible amount of people recources and time, plus to get it put into the mmorpg medium correctly would take a lot of vision and testing.

It's gonna take more than the is willing to pour into this game. I doubt it will turn out, or that it will probably get scrapped. It might be best for all involved that it does get scrapped.

The market is flooded with good mmorpgs and there are some really good ones still to come in the next year. I can't imagine it living up to expectations and being fiscally successful.

It makes me sad.

Sic Luceat Lux

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if you want to play this style!just try argo online it will give you a fair idea(minus the polished graphic since you have to set this by hand in the game file to have it nice>)

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Unfortunately there was supposed to be news at e3 and gamescom, now pax prime is here and there is still no news. I suspect that the game is gonna get canned, only because it can all be tax ride off if they never release it and never make sales money. They realize it probably a financial loss and will most likely want to recoup that money for investors in thq.

Sic Luceat Lux

Originally posted by StMichael

Originally posted by binkus

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

there are no broad claims at all

firstly because you seem to have forgotten your owns countries freedom of speech, i will remind you that i am entitled to put whatever i please.

to which ends i refer to it as a RPFPS which because your own ego and fanboy mentality has got in the way of a sensible conversation and debate hence the word "forum"

the medal level up quick fix and massive multiplayer bonuses and instant wins that a RPFPS could offer is overlooked, the third person shooter is old news and is a game that is played and left on the shelf after use a good rpfps will have people coming back for more, maybe 30 minutes of play before the gf or wife stops or people who have jobs (none of which will apply to yourself) or maybe 3 or 4 hours because they can give up more time to play the RPFPS rewards the quick fix and also longterm and serious players. there is no doubt that GW still has a more mature following (by mature i mean age not immaturity, again in your case)  that the sucess not only of their brand and games was based on players like myself that were throwing handfuls of dice on a table literally before you were born. 

with that aside the 3rd person shooter now narrows the market down to players who have the time and the effort to level pick up where they left off and get encgrossed in the storyline. whereas they have missed a trick and should have combined both indivdual avatar creation and reputations with a decent single player game, combine this with some sqaud command like your operation flashpoint to give it a tactical edge and you have a win. 

there are no rewards for being a fanboy it just makes you look retarded a bit like arguing on the internet, 

you enjoy this game i hope you do, u genuinely hope you do and everyone else does my point before you jumped on it was they missed a trick

and as for example you are pretty light on those yourself, i suggest you do not reply unless you can construct something that resembles a post which makes sense, i can see with your name you might have religious undertones which makes any sort of sane argument impossible.

Quake and doom were some of the first of their genres and completely different from a rpfps with examples i would suggest you choose something like battlefield or planetside where a player advances and can create a name for themselves and become respected in the community (again not in your case) if you are going to throw example in make sure they are relevant

{mod edit}

they have made a single player game, looks pretty and will play nicely but thats all they have done in the long run. multiplay will be dull and one sided

yours paper

I can understand different strokes for different folks, but you're not bashing just a game here, you're just soapboxing against 3rd person shooters. I'm sorry that you're not getting a trifecta of preferences satisfied with one game, but decisions have to be made in designing a game and not everyone will be happy with the result. That doesn't mean that the game is horribly doomed and that your way is the only means of salvation for a 40k MMO, nor does it mean that the rest of us won't enjoy it.

So for Christ sake, whatever beef you have with what little amount we know of the game, get over it and move on.