Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of tanks? Worth a download or not?

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by Daffid011

The beginning american tanks are ok, but the M3 Lee stands in the way of Heavy Tanks, the M4 Sherman and Artillery.   The Lee is perhaps the worst tank in the game and not very encouraging to continue the US line of tanks.

The higher tier tanks are good, but the other lines have a lot more appeal for various reasons.

The M3 is good tank if you use it like a tank destroyer and not a scout.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by ironhelix

Originally posted by ukforze

Originally posted by comicaze

I <...> rarely see a yank tank....

To put it simply - you are not playing this game. Nothing to discuss further.

And I don't understand the purpose of your presence here.

I have played since beta & still do, there aren't many yank tanks about as most of them suck,

the germans are also getting a much needed buff in the next patch.

Were are all discussing the pros & cons, yet you pick up on one small thing & thats supposed to

invalid my whole post? ...seriously wtf

I have just as much right to speak on these forums as you m8 best to think before you speak m8

as there is no need for your tone.

I don't know what game you are playing, American tanks are very well represented in every match I have ever played. Seems that you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Well i'd tear any yank tanks a new arsehole with my is7

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by moters
    Matchmaking in the game plain out sucks. Game needs cheat detection badly. Game has bugs that people exploit like shooting through walls even seen hills shot threw a few times tanks that never miss and always get critcal hits etc. Thats the bad side.
    Can be alot of fun stoped playing getting one shotted and teir 4 does kinda suck. Frist few teirs are alot fun after that it sucks,

Agree about the matchmaker, about the cheats/bugs, and also definitely about the first few tiers, afterward, no fun (unless you pay for it, maybe then, otherwise the grind is horrendous, and it just isn't any fun). Also must say as someone else in this thread pointed out, it isn't really a MMO at all. It's a team shooter with a lobby system.

• TcbysTcbys Member Posts: 34

Wargaming should of just released the game as a Retail/Steam game. If the retail version no such thing was prem account and WG would release expanction packs for diffrent tank trees. I think that route would of gotten more attention and more sales. And the grind would of been reduced.

Also the game is borderline Pay 2 Win. You need a prem account if you want to play anything past Tier 6 and with the matchmaking you need to rise through the tiers just in order to stand a chance with the broken matchmaking system.

• dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by Tcbys

Wargaming should of just released the game as a Retail/Steam game. If the retail version no such thing was prem account and WG would release expanction packs for diffrent tank trees. I think that route would of gotten more attention and more sales. And the grind would of been reduced.

Yeah no telling how that would of worked out via the steam/retail method but I am sure they went with whatever they felt was best for them financially. 

Also the game is borderline Pay 2 Win. You need a prem account if you want to play anything past Tier 6 and with the matchmaking you need to rise through the tiers just in order to stand a chance with the broken matchmaking system.

As well it should be. These companies have to make money somehow. The idea is to have ya play and enjoy it, then spend some money to play at a reasonable play pace later once you have tried it out for free.

• lvpollo3lvpollo3 Member Posts: 1

with out prem acc you can play simple up to tier 7.Tier 8 need some silver maker(tank tier 5 with max out crew).higher tier with out prem takes MORE TIME to get silver but its possibole...Prem acc give you no worries...

about expanction packs its will broke balance... who have more money will buy prem tanks and go own noobs...

• comicazecomicaze Member Posts: 147

Well i'd tear any yank tanks a new arsehole with my is7

You can hurt any American tank with the Russian top heavy tank? Wow, that's a life time achievement.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Part of the balance between the higher tier tanks requiring more silver to operate is that it also encourages playing lower tier tanks, so that there is a healthy spread of tanks.    Otherwise the game would eventually boil down to everyone playing Tier 10 tanks in every single match and new players would struggle to fill up battles.

• SYIHSYIH Member Posts: 4

this game is brainless crap...

Originally posted by SYIH

As is your post. I certainly hope you manage to contribute something...somewhere, because it certainly is not here.

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

It's a game that requires a brain to play.

I can understand where someone without a brain would be outwitted by people who can think.

Rather than blame yourself, by all means blame the game, right?

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

The game might have requred some brains to play if you could do anything against a heavy tank 1-2 tier higher, on a medium tank. But no, brains wont help you against his bigger gun or x1.5hp advantage nor they will help to convince teammates to do something brainy in a game with only random game mode (other than randommap clan wars). So I'm inclined to agree, brainless crap game WoT is.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have (so far) found the game to be a lot of fun. Do yourself a favor and buy a Lowe (Tier 8) to generate the in game money. The experience accumulation isn't so bad, but the money takes forever to accumulate. I have not purchased anything yet, but I might get a premium subscription for the in game money bonus.

The game a lot of fun to play though. There's not as much point in getting to the max level as there is in a lot of games, so playing at the lower levels for the time it takes to level up isn't bad.

The game is worth the download and it's worth it to play, even if you you get to Tier 3 or 4 and are "done".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

As much as I enjoy the game and have been a premium member since day one, I wholeheartedly agree about playing to 5th or 6th tier and then just enjoying it to there.

Honestly the grind is not an issue with me but the way people play at the upper levels is annoying. People are so afraid of having to repair or get their tanks scratched ya mostly end up in "peek a boo" battles. Or you can be part of a 3-4 tank rush (blitz even) and as soon as a single tank is encountered everybody hides behind a rock and proceeds to peek a boo again. Reminds me of being kited in WoW. That gets old real fast.

Fortunately there are many different types of machines to get into that you will find a type that suits your play style best and you can have lots of fun in it with all 3 countries.

As for the previous poster in a medium not being able to handle a heavy 1-2 tiers higher? I can understand if your medium was a stock or barely upgraded going against a well stocked heavy, but otherwise, it is you. I have seen so many heavies get wailed on by mediums that can easily out maneuver and pick the weak spots.

Just remember when you are upgrading that more importantly you want to upgrade your tracks and engine first, get that awesome gun later, if necessary change up your ammo type to HE in certain circumstances and never engage a heavy when you are sitting still unless his barrel is aimed away at someone else.

Watching a skilled medium tank driver against a heavy tank reminds me of a cat attacking an elephant lol. Once the cat gets the right spots and out maneuvers he wins but if he screws up and has that trunk wail down on him even one time..splat..

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

Originally posted by dzones

...the way people play at the upper levels is annoying. People are so afraid of having to repair or get their tanks scratched ya mostly end up in "peek a boo" battles. Or you can be part of a 3-4 tank rush (blitz even) and as soon as a single tank is encountered everybody hides behind a rock and proceeds to peek a boo again. Reminds me of being kited in WoW. That gets old real fast.

You wrote a valid review. I would like to point one thing out. I'm not so sure most people are afraid to get their tanks scratched. The game is fairly realistic in that a well placed enemy tank(s) can halt an advance. In real life who wants to be the tank to get blown up rushing into a well positioned enemy?

It indeed may frustrate some players, but I find it challenging. The "peek a boo" game, when it occur,  is a battle of wits (and reflexes) in that you try to get your opponent to make a mistake while you try to avoid making a mistake.

I do concede that some players just want you to do all the work. It happens.

"the game is borderline Pay 2 Win", I must disagree with your inclusion of the word "borderline". Other then that I agree!

I don't know about the game being so, but many of the players definitely are, It's amazing! There are some BASIC strategy elements that people just plain seem to refuse to do...
    1. protecting their flag!
    2. protecting their artillery!
    3. moving/attacking in groups!

4. And yes, -NOT- being in a insane hurry. Timer almost -NEVER- runs out, people are in such a mad rush always (to die).

amazing!

• MysunlightMysunlight Member UncommonPosts: 3

YES

Originally posted by dzones

As for the previous poster in a medium not being able to handle a heavy 1-2 tiers higher? I can understand if your medium was a stock or barely upgraded going against a well stocked heavy, but otherwise, it is you. I have seen so many heavies get wailed on by mediums that can easily out maneuver and pick the weak spots.

While I do agree than you CAN kill a heavy with a med, it always feel that you have to use all your skills to just to kill it while being a heavy simplifies it allowing you to kill not only this tank, but lots of others as well.

Also there is not many places where you can use the speed advantage of med tank, other than taking some hills or strategic spots (just to have you killed there by enemy heavy tanks coz your team was afraid to support you with fire).

Before the teleporta fix medium could utilize its speed to avoid (literally) shot and only skilled players could hit it thus allowing flanking, manevouring and medium tank rushing herd of death. While TD drivers were happy to have this fixed, medium tanks died out as a class until the T9 meds were added to the game. All they (meds) got was an increase in hp (lol) and those cheating T9 tanks(which in terms of goodness and balancer are T10), which wasnt fun for T8- tiers.

[quote]Originally posted by Dojen
    [b]

The game is fairly realistic in that a well placed enemy tank(s) can halt an advance. In real life who wants to be the tank to get blown up rushing into a well positioned enemy?

Its fairly realistic to have your tanks supported by infantry and vica versa, it also fairly realistic to not to attack unless you have clear advantage or forced to do so (15vs15...). Add to that realism of flanking manevours which allowed weaker tanks to destroy more powerfull and armored enemies (not just chip some hp and get blown to pieces like some shit stepped on). Frontal armor of german (not only) heavy tanks which allowed to dig in and use their accurate cannon to block some road and kill enemies from afar without having to worry about anything (other than flanking attacks and enemy planes) unless direct hit by some 150+mm artillery gun torn off the turret (which wasnt very effective as counter battery fire would put it out before it get a lucky shot (not having direct view of the target that is (or *cough* *cough* GPS).
    I mean, just go play men of war and you'll see how fun and dynamic tank combat can be.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

Originally posted by Vesper11

I mean, just go play men of war and you'll see how fun and dynamic tank combat can be.

Men of War is a good game of a different genre.

• BaffaBaffa Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by saker

I don't know about the game being so, but many of the players definitely are, It's amazing! There are some BASIC strategy elements that people just plain seem to refuse to do...

1. protecting their flag!

2. protecting their artillery!

3. moving/attacking in groups!

4. And yes, -NOT- being in a insane hurry. Timer almost -NEVER- runs out, people are in such a mad rush always (to die).

amazing!

I thought everyone figured out the AMAZING tactics required for this game....

Wait for the opponent to attack, the spotting system is best from a defender perspective.

Kill the attackers.

Counter attack and kill the remaining 6 arties, win.

Serioulsy, this game is Really shallow, if just someone would have some sort of a brain and not suffer from some restless disorder it would have been a bit more interesting.

• KeyzzaniKeyzzani Member Posts: 31

It's a fun game, but it's by no means a MMORPG. More like a first person shooter (first person tanker?).

Originally posted by Baffa

Wait for the opponent to attack, the spotting system is best from a defender perspective.

Hah! Get both teams doing that and you'll get rechless idiots charging enemy lines, still better than waiting for draw. And yes, game is shallow and will be as long as devs have enough people paying them for allcrap random mode.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

Originally posted by Baffa

I thought everyone figured out the AMAZING tactics required for this game....

Kill the attackers.

Counter attack and kill the remaining 6 arties, win.

Totally noobish. No maps have good base defense positions. If you camp your base, you'll be raped by a couple of spotters, artillery and snipers.

Originally posted by Vesper11

And yes, game is shallow and will be as long as devs have enough people paying them for allcrap random mode.

The game maintains a very nice balance between instant fun and strategic complexity, which attracts enough players to already earn the game a Guinness Book record. If you need something more sophisticated - plenty of RTS games on the market for you, my friend.