Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Release and Beta Cometh!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Secret World is a bit less secret after new screens, a new video and more information pouring out of Gamescom 2011. In his latest TSW column, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy takes a look at some of this week's revelations and offers a few thoughts about TSW. Check it out and then weigh in with your own thoughts.

Yes, ladies and gents, as we reported Tuesday EA and Funcom have given us a pretty solid (but not concrete) date for the launch of The Secret World. They’ve also gone ahead and let us know that day one of PAX Prime 2011 is also day one of beta sign-ups for the general public.

Is there a better way to say, “CAN. NOT. WAIT?”

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Secret World: Release and Beta Cometh!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Been watching The Secret World for awhile now, as I like Funcom once they get some polish on their games.  And the 3 faction system is something I fell in love with in DAoC, and wish more games would do it.  Allows for more choices, and better competitive playfield where if one side gets to lopsided and overpopulated, the other 2 underdogs can sorta team up against them.

The freestyle, sandbox games can be great, and this game sounds like it will have tons of choices for character skill customization, and the fact that your clothing is all basically stat-less and you can customize how you want to look through that makes me happy.  Aesthetics is a big role in games anymore.  Looking forward to the beta to really give this game a testdrive.

• armoredisamuarmoredisamu Member Posts: 10

I am liking what I have seen this far. I am gonna definitely get play this game the day it's released. Go Templars! :)

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by armoredisamu

I am liking what I have seen this far. I am gonna definitely get play this game the day it's released. Go Templars! :)

Templars? Pshhh..you misguided zealots have been working for us for so long, you can no longer perceive the veil that has been so adroitly knitted around your organization. You toil in the dark at our whim. Your energies are focused at our desire. Your ultimate goals merely our grocery checklist.

-Matthew Blacke, Illuminati

• LeahvanaLeahvana Member UncommonPosts: 11

Excellent! I for one will be signing up for beta right away.  Have a good feeling that they will get it right with this one. Plenty of time to get things nicely polished.   While most of my old guild has been clamoring and going 'omg star wars, star wars, star wars'...i've been waiting on this game to come out. :D  Be great to have another sandbox option in the MMO market.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Talthanys

Templars? Pshhh..you misguided zealots have been working for us for so long, you can no longer perceive the veil that has been so adroitly knitted around your organization. You toil in the dark at our whim. Your energies are focused at our desire. Your ultimate goals merely our grocery checklist.

The in-fighting between templars and illuminati is majorly relevant to our interests. we approve. :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• phamannnphamannn Member Posts: 37

Going to be a "GREAT" game! Can't wait to dive into it!

Keep it up Secret World!! You've got 3 subs already!!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by phamannn
    Going to be a "GREAT" game! Can't wait to dive into it!Keep it up Secret World!! You've got 3 subs already!!

I will at least buy the game when it releases, unless the beta is a total bomb. Subbing will depend on my first month of play (but that's no different than any other mmo I play).

To be honest, I think just having the setting being set 'today' in urban settings is the most visually appealing thing to me. They're going to have to work really hard to mess this up. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 224

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

good timing!  will give me plenty of time to finish SWTOR.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Dudek28
    Im looking forward to this game aswell. Why does this game not have a forum? its got a game profile though... (on MMOPRG.com)

It has a forum, both on mmorpg.com and in the official website(Community -> Forum)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Dudek28
    Im looking forward to this game aswell. Why does this game not have a forum? its got a game profile though... (on MMOPRG.com)

There are official forums for the game at thesecretworld.com and there's also forums on this site.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Even though my only love for Funcom was AO, despite all the bugs when it was released, I can't wait to try this mmo out.

I am a big scifi nut, so the game has my vote image

Originally posted by arieste

good timing!  will give me plenty of time to finish SWTOR.

200 hours of gameplay is what I hear (per character created) image

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

Even though my only love for Funcom was AO, despite all the bugs when it was released, I can't wait to try this mmo out.

i thought it was more horror/conspiracy-esque?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

it remains one of the few games i feel positive about... so .. it can't come out soon enough for me image

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

I'm in.  Cannot wait!

Originally posted by dbstylin34

I am a big scifi nut, so the game has my vote 

It's a modern, urban setting with elements of gothic horror and science fiction. The general theme is conspiracy and things hidden from the general population, of which you are no longer a part.

There's almost nothing you can't fit in there. Zombies, aliens, witchcraft, government cover ups, werewolves and vampires, time travel, alternate realities, you name it.

Things definitely in there are:
    Zombies.
    Lovecraftian Entities (kind of like Dagon and the fish people).
    An 'Angels and Demons' kind of historical conspiracy.
    A New England finishing school for 'special' students (magic users or telepaths).

I haven't seen anything specifically about aliens, but I'm sure there's something there.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Ohhno.. Why did they have to release the Beta for TSW almost at the same time they add the Turan mini Expansion to AoC??

I can't split in two FFS!! :p

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by lizardbones

It's a modern, urban setting with elements of gothic horror and science fiction. The general theme is conspiracy and things hidden from the general population, of which you are no longer a part.

There's almost nothing you can't fit in there. Zombies, aliens, witchcraft, government cover ups, werewolves and vampires, time travel, alternate realities, you name it.

Good Stuff!

Sounds like this game should be a tv series on the SyFy network, whoops, I believe Trion / Syfy already got something coming: Defiance

Still it would make a series for tv or movies.

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Hyperion5182

{mod edit}

Sorry. This is the same company that banned a player from RP for RP. This is the same company that brought a GM that had plagued anarchy online (Famine) and promoted him. I only need to look at the state of AOC to understand this game is going to fail. They're using false advertising with its 2 million active accounts bullshit. Funcom isnt a developer you should invest your money in especially in these economic times.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Good Stuff!
    Sounds like this game should be a tv series on the SyFy network, whoops, I believe Trion / Syfy already got something coming: Defiance
    Still it would make a series for tv or movies.

They are using popular urban mythology as a basis for the content. There will probably be something familiar to people who watch a lot of scifi/horror/conspiracy stuff.

Defiance looks cool too. Kind of like 'Falling Skies', but more interactive.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by Talthanys

Once the Illuminati move out of their mom's basements, we'll worry about it then ;)

The Templars: Making the Illuminati think they control something for centuries.

:)

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

I'm intrigued, but I agree ... I still remember AoC.  Great for about 24 levels, decent through about 32, wanted to claw my eyes out at about 34, quite around 40.

I'm also concerned that TSW is going to just be a hub and spoke lobby/instance game too.  I think of WoW as being an MMO.  CoH was even an MMO despite the loading zones because all the zones seemed to fit together to make one large city.  AoC seemed like it was a bunch of generic zones that were, at times, heavily instanced and randomally thrown together. 

With TSW spread out all around the world, that concerns me.  As we move towards more isntanced content, MMO seem to be slowly migrating away from the older EQ world model and more towards a Diablo style game world model and that's not good.  I wouldn't really consider grouping up in a hub city and traveling to an instance portal a real good use of the gameworld either.  That still basically boils down to game lobby/match making and instance too.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• N0umenonN0umenon Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Hyperion5182

[mod edit}

Sorry. This is the same company that banned a player from RP for RP. This is the same company that brought a GM that had plagued anarchy online (Famine) and promoted him. I only need to look at the state of AOC to understand this game is going to fail. They're using false advertising with its 2 million active accounts bullshit. Funcom isnt a developer you should invest your money in especially in these economic times.

They have never said anything about  having 2 million active accounts "...the game recently hit the impressive milestone of over two million players having experienced the world of Hyboria." You are now accusing Funcom for laying about the figures, by writing a lie(?)

Source: http://www.funcom.com/news/over_300000_players_join_age_of_conan_unchained_in_first_month

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by HurricanePip

I'm also concerned that TSW is going to just be a hub and spoke lobby/instance game too.  I think of WoW as being an MMO.  CoH was even an MMO despite the loading zones because all the zones seemed to fit together to make one large city.  AoC seemed like it was a bunch of generic zones that were, at times, heavily instanced and randomally thrown together. 

With TSW spread out all around the world, that concerns me.  As we move towards more isntanced content, MMO seem to be slowly migrating away from the older EQ world model and more towards a Diablo style game world model and that's not good.  I wouldn't really consider grouping up in a hub city and traveling to an instance portal a real good use of the gameworld either.  That still basically boils down to game lobby/match making and instance too.

Remember, EQ used zones too, yet it still was very much a world.

They can't really remodel the entire world in their game, it's just too big. The solution they've found however is an other-dimensional area in much the same way as the Grid in AO or the Ways in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time that will connect all areas of interest in TSW.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."