Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR wins Best Online Game at Gamerscom 2011

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Baikal

Originally posted by Zezda

They won very convincingly last year, what makes you think the decision would have been reversed this year given that GW2 was showing what was probably the most anticipated feature so far and seems to be being recieved very well?

Just curious why you think they won convincingly last year? You know, as opposed to just "won". It was a landslide vote or something? Where did you find that info?

Not being skeptical, just curious and all.

A few different places here and there.

No insider knowledge or anything but basing it mostly off of what I seen online and seen from friends and other folk I know both online and in rl. I know quite a bit of differing people when it comes to what they know about upcoming games so that's sometimes refreshing to get the chance to see what they think of games on the face of it. Some of my friends keep themselves well up to date and the others only hear little bits and pieces. Some people prefer WoW, some prefer EVE or something like Mass Effect etc. I also considered what I had learned personally while looking into it. (I was a lot more unbias a year ago initially when it came to gw2/tor/whatever since I was in the midst of playing a MMO anyway and hadn't really decided one way or the other for any upcoming titles). These days I don't mind saying that I'm looking forward to GW2 more because I believe it is pushing the genre as a whole forward more so than any other game that seems to be on the radar just now. ArcheAge looks nice as well and I might dabble with that but I'm not entirely convinced of it's longevity yet. I might very well pick up SWTOR as well, it depends on what's happening at the time, but I don't think it will hold my interest for long.

But yeah, from what I seen almost every single person who I talked with who knew similar amounts about both games pretty much agreed that while SWTOR will be quite cool it doesn't quite match up to the attitude and change that is powering GW2. Everyones main concern seemed to be that they might not pull it off and all the feedback we are seeing from the demos seems to be saying that they are doing a grand job of it. Of course I did fill in gaps in things they didn't know or things they had wrong to the best of my knowledge. (We get a lot of quiet spells in my work as well so I usually get time to fire off emails with links to threads on mmorpg and other websites rather than try explain it on my own if I'm struggling to word or phrase things properly. It also lets me do a great deal of research into games I'm looking forward to or currently playing).

I'm by no means saying I'm of course 100% correct and really it should be taken with a grain of salt but I didn't see how TOR could match what GW2 was bringing to the table. If you are talking about popular game then that's a different kettle of fish entirely, but then again 'best' is subjective anyway.. When in doubt I tend to favour what I think will be best in the long term and for me GW2 comes out well ahead in what it is trying to achieve and since the last gamescon I don't think I've seen anything that changes my opinion on that.

Sorry for such a long post but now and then people take things the wrong way, I don't want to start trolling and flaming and stuff about the whole GW2/TOR thing that's going on, I'm just calling it as I see it.

So essentially you have no knowledge that it was a landslide win last year, and it is purely coincidence that you say it was a landslide because it matches your point of view.

Gotcha.

By the way, did you hear that it was a complete landslide this year too? I mean, it was.

Dont take it the wrong way but other than me taking it on faith that "people you talked to", who likely arent the judges of the event (were they?) there really isnt a whole lot of credible sourcing to your statement it was a landslide win.

No, but your own arguement is has even less weight to it since you're offering no evidence what so ever.

I work in the IT industry, so of course a lot of the guys I know love games. MMO's in particular. There's also just as many who have kids etc and dont have time for games. Like i said we get quite a few quiet spells in work since we only do support for businesses although we are open 24/7 and the general consensus was that GW2 was the one to go for providing that they weren't lying about what they could achieve and that it actually made it into the game. This also matched what I found from most people I still talk to online who have had prior experience playing everything from Luna Online to LOTRO.

Generally I also found that the people who sided on the SWTOR fence were there mainly because it was Star Wars more than anything else.. 'Yeah, Chris.. But Star Wars?!!.. comon man!'

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Painlezz

How useless can they possibly make these rankings and awards?

Diablo 3 apparently got "Best PC Game"

This game is a PC game that got "Best Online Game"

Did they give out an award "Best Game"

or "Best Game that Plays like a Game"

Maybe "Best PC Online Game"

What's funny about all that is that these games are not even released so how are they the best at anything when the majority of gamers havent touched the games yet?

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

They won very convincingly last year, what makes you think the decision would have been reversed this year given that GW2 was showing what was probably the most anticipated feature so far and seems to be being recieved very well?

Just curious why you think they won convincingly last year? You know, as opposed to just "won". It was a landslide vote or something? Where did you find that info?

No insider knowledge or anything but basing it mostly off of what I seen online and seen from friends and other folk I know both online and in rl. I know quite a bit of differing people when it comes to what they know about upcoming games so that's sometimes refreshing to get the chance to see what they think of games on the face of it. Some of my friends keep themselves well up to date and the others only hear little bits and pieces. Some people prefer WoW, some prefer EVE or something like Mass Effect etc. I also considered what I had learned personally while looking into it. (I was a lot more unbias a year ago initially when it came to gw2/tor/whatever since I was in the midst of playing a MMO anyway and hadn't really decided one way or the other for any upcoming titles). These days I don't mind saying that I'm looking forward to GW2 more because I believe it is pushing the genre as a whole forward more so than any other game that seems to be on the radar just now. ArcheAge looks nice as well and I might dabble with that but I'm not entirely convinced of it's longevity yet. I might very well pick up SWTOR as well, it depends on what's happening at the time, but I don't think it will hold my interest for long.

But yeah, from what I seen almost every single person who I talked with who knew similar amounts about both games pretty much agreed that while SWTOR will be quite cool it doesn't quite match up to the attitude and change that is powering GW2. Everyones main concern seemed to be that they might not pull it off and all the feedback we are seeing from the demos seems to be saying that they are doing a grand job of it. Of course I did fill in gaps in things they didn't know or things they had wrong to the best of my knowledge. (We get a lot of quiet spells in my work as well so I usually get time to fire off emails with links to threads on mmorpg and other websites rather than try explain it on my own if I'm struggling to word or phrase things properly. It also lets me do a great deal of research into games I'm looking forward to or currently playing).

I'm by no means saying I'm of course 100% correct and really it should be taken with a grain of salt but I didn't see how TOR could match what GW2 was bringing to the table. If you are talking about popular game then that's a different kettle of fish entirely, but then again 'best' is subjective anyway.. When in doubt I tend to favour what I think will be best in the long term and for me GW2 comes out well ahead in what it is trying to achieve and since the last gamescon I don't think I've seen anything that changes my opinion on that.

Sorry for such a long post but now and then people take things the wrong way, I don't want to start trolling and flaming and stuff about the whole GW2/TOR thing that's going on, I'm just calling it as I see it.

So essentially you have no knowledge that it was a landslide win last year, and it is purely coincidence that you say it was a landslide because it matches your point of view.

Gotcha.

By the way, did you hear that it was a complete landslide this year too? I mean, it was.

Dont take it the wrong way but other than me taking it on faith that "people you talked to", who likely arent the judges of the event (were they?) there really isnt a whole lot of credible sourcing to your statement it was a landslide win.

No, but your own arguement is has even less weight to it since you're offering no evidence what so ever.

I work in the IT industry, so of course a lot of the guys I know love games. MMO's in particular. There's also just as many who have kids etc and dont have time for games. Like i said we get quite a few quiet spells in work since we only do support for businesses although we are open 24/7 and the general consensus was that GW2 was the one to go for providing that they weren't lying about what they could achieve and that it actually made it into the game. This also matched what I found from most people I still talk to online who have had prior experience playing everything from Luna Online to LOTRO.

Generally I also found that the people who sided on the SWTOR fence were there mainly because it was Star Wars more than anything else.. 'Yeah, Chris.. But Star Wars?!!.. comon man!'

Well your in a SWtOR forum, you should expect people to be on that games side, running around screaming GW2 is better is right on the edge of trolling. That said, just cause your in IT doesn't mean your industry or your friends are industry people for games or mmo's. Your no more informed than any other gamer, only people working in the industry, reporters and progarmers alike, have the inside track on that stuff. For your money it is GW2, to the industry however it seems the winds are behind TOR pretty heavily. Using preorder sells, awards won, ammount of time needed so people could try the game at the cons, etc.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

These awards mean nothing, we all know big publishers (ie EA and Activision) can easily $$ them.

I really don't know how games that arent finished or even open to the public  can  be awarded but whatever.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Ragnaven

Well your in a SWtOR forum, you should expect people to be on that games side, running around screaming GW2 is better is right on the edge of trolling. That said, just cause your in IT doesn't mean your industry or your friends are industry people for games or mmo's. Your no more informed than any other gamer, only people working in the industry, reporters and progarmers alike, have the inside track on that stuff. For your money it is GW2, to the industry however it seems the winds are behind TOR pretty heavily. Using preorder sells, awards won, ammount of time needed so people could try the game at the cons, etc.

Of course I expect people to side with SWTOR on here, I don't have an issue with that. If you want to turn around and say I don't know anything more than anyone else then that is your opinion but what I seen that was quite clear was that assuming both games go at least half decently as planned then amongst all the people I happen to know there will be a huge siding with GW2 over TOR. I couldn't care less what the industry itself thinks because when I'm asking people I'm asking people who are playing the games themselves. These games don't stay alive on the whims of people in the industry saying they are good or bad. That's what gives what I found when asking people credibility.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the dust settles but I think GW2 is where it's at to be fair. Again assuming it all goes fairly well it's going to be giving people the AAA MMO experience that in many cases it could possibly even surpass the competition at a fundamental level and it still doesn't expect people to fork out an extra $15 a month for the privilage to play it. If that plays off for Arenanet and clicks then it's going to result in arguably one of the biggest swings in style the genre is likely to see for a heck of a long time. It's a ballsy move but if it works it's going to be obscenely huge and to be honest it would be a positive thing for us all here who play any kind of P2P MMO.

Anyway, I'm done with the TOR/GW comparisons now. I asked a simple question which got avoided. I stated in the post after that I didn't want to start the whole TOR/GW thing as that wasn't what I was looking for but I've been dragged into it anyway. I was merely looking to see what people thought TOR had opened up over the year that would have changed opinions when I asked that.

I hope everyone that buys either game at least feels like they got their moneys worth if nothing else.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by firefly2003

Originally posted by Painlezz

How useless can they possibly make these rankings and awards?

Diablo 3 apparently got "Best PC Game"

This game is a PC game that got "Best Online Game"

Did they give out an award "Best Game"

or "Best Game that Plays like a Game"

Maybe "Best PC Online Game"

What's funny about all that is that these games are not even released so how are they the best at anything when the majority of gamers havent touched the games yet?

Who's judging them as games? This vote isn't about which game win's, it's about presentation of said game, simply put what they showed on those screeny thingys.....

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Win by default since GW2 was not eligible but still not too shabby! :)

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by Mannish

Guild Wars 2 would have won by a landslide.image

A landslide of what? image

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by Mannish

Guild Wars 2 would have won by a landslide.image

A landslide of what? image

lol This, so very this.
  • ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

It probably won because its the better game that is looked forward to by far more people than Guild Wars 2 is, which I still don't understand the hype for since it's just a sequel to a mediocre game that got popular due to no subscription fee and the pvp system, which to this day I still can't grasp why people think it was so good and fun...

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Glad to see that they are getting some love. The whole TORvsGW2 thing is silly, since GW2 wasn't in the running. I would be curiouse to see what the judges would have thought about the material they both brought to the expo and see what there opinions were.  GW2 won last year but maybe the information released on TOR would have been enough to take one home. While I doubt it myself and can't wait to play GW2, I don't see why other games can't be good as well.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Archeminos
    It probably won because its the better game that is looked forward to by far more people than Guild Wars 2 is, which I still don't understand the hype for since it's just a sequel to a mediocre game that got popular due to no subscription fee and the pvp system, which to this day I still can't grasp why people think it was so good and fun...

GW2 was not eligible because it won last year. You have read this thread, right? So many people have posted this in this thread. Soooooo, lol.

BOOYAKA!

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

or because GW2 already won so it was never in the runnign this year. way to ignore what has been said a million times

Originally posted by cyress8

GW2 was not eligible because it won last year. You have read this thread, right? So many people have posted this in this thread. Soooooo, lol.

Wait LOL that it had to been said 1000 times, or LOL that it has been said 1000 times?....image

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Distopia

Wait LOL that it had to been said 1000 times, or LOL that it has been said 1000 times?....

Nah, was not posted enough if you ask me. Almost every other post had something to say about it. People at least could skim the thread to get a gist of the flow of it. Ya know?

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by Distopia

Wait LOL that it had to been said 1000 times, or LOL that it has been said 1000 times?....

Nah, was not posted enough if you ask me. Almost every other post had something to say about it. People at least could skim the thread to get a gist of the flow of it. Ya know?

I've read pretty much every post, I just find it hilarious people actually make it a point to argue over who won awards for presentations.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Huttball looks like a lot of fun. The operations look great. This game is rounding out very well. Something about Huttball reminds me of PSO and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Bring the hate it's awesome!!!

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

how much did sw:tor pay for it?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Heres something though:

http://games.ign.com/articles/118/1188110p1.html

Look at IGNs gamers choice... notice anything missing?

Seems like SWTOR isn't listed this year, whereas they've won IGN awards for many years now.   

Sometimes thats just how people run it.   GW2 fannies just get over it.  Its not like SWTOR needs more awards, they have more than enough.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see GW2 take IGNs award.  

Its not like people don't know what 2 MMOs are going to be the most popular.  

Lets not bicker and argue over who killed who.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

its funny that everyone just assumes that your either a fan boie star wars or gw2 ..to be back on topic ..its not like its a big deal..the flavor of the month always wins somekind of  dippy award..that doesnt mean its a great game..heck if im not mistaken they gave dragon age 2 a award and a 9 outta 10 lol

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by DarthVious

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I dont think this has been posted, but impressive?  Sounds like it. http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/gamescom-2011-swtor-wins-best-online-game-and-introduces-huttba/

As one that is anticipating this title, Im not really anticipating more timed lobby-system shoe-box claustrophobic PvP match content.  But it appears that they introduced new PvP arena content and it helps get attention.

I need to look to see if there is any more reveal about more open-world organic non-scripted community-centric and massively-multiplayer content, but this is what I found so far, and I'm not disappointed in "it" in particular per-se, but was hoping for more....I'll continue reading other news reports to see.

edited for spelling.

Simply awesome. After seeing the different gameplay video's from there so far, it looks great. The lvl 50 operation looks amazing!

LMAO, forum proofreading

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Lets not bicker and argue over who killed who.

ha!

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

And my friends that I know who work in that area and love games heard GW2 only won because it's F2P.

Obviously I am right because I have a better forum name.

That's pretty much the strength of your argument on if GW2 won by a landslide last year.  That was all over this forum, and people just screamed, "Obviously gw2 won by a landslide".  Maybe you just got mixed up!

TOR won by a landslide this year.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

OP: SWTOR wins best online game at Gamerscon 2011 = Heeere GW Fans! Come an git it!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011