Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 6 yo - Still the best MMORPG in the World

fieldingfielding Member Posts: 15

I must say I am quite in disbelief to how much other MMORPG developers must suck. None have managed to create a game that is changing and new! Most is half or fully copycats of WoW, and im baffled to how these genious dev brains have come to the conclusion that exactly their own game was going to be successful enough to be a huge.

Blizzard might be the smartest company in the world (milking every penny from humanity), even if they suck like crap, they are the best of the crap!

Now I hope there is still some decent developers that see how easy it is to beat this moneymachine. Cos its not hard, just need the right minds that dont fall for the "copycat" way of doing it.

Comments

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Change to "Most popular".

As for the rest... we've seen it already.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• karankaran Member Posts: 22

When Henry Ford made the Model T, he made a lot of sacrifices to make an efficient and profitable product. Gone were the days of high quality, individually crafted cars, and in were ushered in the days of mass produced black cars that were easy to operate and maintain. His reward was the billions of dollars that followed.

The MMO industry has seemingly looked towards WoW as the Ford of MMORPGs. WoW caters to the lowest common denominator, standardising many things that did not exist before while simultaneously removing many shreds of individuality that existed in MMOs before (the sandbox style gameplay of UO, SWG and Eve for example).

Sure, there is still a highly profitable niche for the Ferraris and Porches of the world, but the auto industry today is dominated by firms that took Ford's approach to mass marketing cars and ran with it. Similarly in MMOs, when WoW eventually runs its course (as Ford did when the Japanese auto firms came to the forefront), its succesors I am sure will take 99% of the things that made WoW succesful and use it for their own games. I can assure you that the next big thing will not be all that different to WoW (whether thats SWTOR or another game).

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Blizzard had a huge advantage over most MMO Developers , The IP - Warcraft had such a huge following it was allways goingt to be a smash hit

The smartest thing Blizzard did in making WOW  was the Style , they made it feel & look like you were in a Warcraft Game instead of making it with high res grafix & huge polygon counts ..

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

GW2 ;)

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

You're forgetting one thing:

most popular =/= best

/thread

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Lukain

Blizzard had a huge advantage over most MMO Developers , The IP - Warcraft had such a huge following it was allways goingt to be a smash hit

The smartest thing Blizzard did in making WOW  was the Style , they made it feel & look like you were in a Warcraft Game instead of making it with high res grafix & huge polygon counts ..

This. They used a modified WC3 engine in order to keep that same look.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

To quote my avatar, "Dog pile on the rabbit!".  Let's see how Blizz is doing in a few years, they had a great cash run but all things come to an end.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Farmville > then all

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Best? Let's assume you mean most popular. By then it'll be WoW2 or maybe even WoW3, but I'm beginning to really doubt WoW is going to fall to another WoW-clone. If it's going to fall it will not be to a clone, why give up your 'investment' in WoW for a copy of WoW? Seriously, not going to happen.

If anything can hurt Blizz it just might be GW2. If they can prove that Buy2Play works without a subscription and that Blizz has been milking their customers for pure profit, that could have an impact. But if it does have a massive impact (which I doubt) then I guess they'll just go F2P (they're steering that way already), if they really can't get away with keeping on milking of course. I still see them being big in 6 years time, in whatever form.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Originally posted by Short-Straw

To quote my avatar, "Dog pile on the rabbit!".  Let's see how Blizz is doing in a few years, they had a great cash run but all things come to an end.

Yeah I think to WOW  maybe has 5 years left " depending in other developers steping up"  but I see 2 flaws in your argument  of lets see how blizz is in a few years

1: They have made enough money from  WOW to create & run 20 MMO's

2: They perhaps have the only IP that could challenge WOW  " Diablo"

all eye will be on KOTOR to put a dent in the WOW Juggenaught  "X fingers"  Me personally I don't think it will  but I do think there is one thing that will take down WOW - Payment Models  - FTP , PTW & Cashshop Models  will be the future of MMO  so if Blizzard stay with Monthly Subs  they rish lossing millions of its playerbase

Take AOC for example since offering a FTP model with Shop there playerbase has tripled & revenue has increased x4  & its a crap game so imagine a good game doing it   :)  same goes for LOTRO  with increased in players & income , it seems the only one that has not worked is the EQ2 model  but hey it is sony so who cares ..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by fielding

I must say I am quite in disbelief to how much other MMORPG developers must suck. None have managed to create a game that is changing and new! Most is half or fully copycats of WoW, and im baffled to how these genious dev brains have come to the conclusion that exactly their own game was going to be successful enough to be a huge.

Blizzard might be the smartest company in the world (milking every penny from humanity), even if they suck like crap, they are the best of the crap!

Now I hope there is still some decent developers that see how easy it is to beat this moneymachine. Cos its not hard, just need the right minds that dont fall for the "copycat" way of doing it.

Wow itself is a copy of Everquest (it was made by EQ players for EQ players) even though it is a pretty good copy.

I am not sure that I would say it is the best, that is just a matter of taste but it is still the most popular (and it is almost 7 years now).

You are right however, Blizzard and others have already maxed out what we call the normal MMO mechanics and the next big game will at least have to do some things different if not a lot. The main problem with most current MMOs is not that, it is because they either are buggy messes, have almost no content or both of those.

And yes again, Blizzard are very good with giving their fans what they want, even though it seems like they have lost the touch a bit lately with all the commotion about Diablo 3.

• grimmiergrimmier Member Posts: 5

You sir hit the nail on the head there.  If WoW wasn't Warcraft, it would have failed long ago.
  • generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by grimmier

You sir hit the nail on the head there.  If WoW wasn't Warcraft, it would have failed long ago.

I beg to disagree. Sure it would have been less succesful but i never got into WC yet i played WoW. The thing is that WoW is average at everything. Most MMO's out there fail at certain aspects making them hard to play, WoW however managed to deliver polished mediocrity. Which taking into account the quality of the average MMO is quite an achievement.

I could point out many games that totally beat the hell out of WoW on certain aspects but usually these same games totally fail at other aspects making it hard to enjoy the game.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• fieldingfielding Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by generals3

Originally posted by grimmier

I beg to disagree. Sure it would have been less succesful but i never got into WC yet i played WoW. The thing is that WoW is average at everything. Most MMO's out there fail at certain aspects making them hard to play, WoW however managed to deliver polished mediocrity. Which taking into account the quality of the average MMO is quite an achievement.

I could point out many games that totally beat the hell out of WoW on certain aspects but usually these same games totally fail at other aspects making it hard to enjoy the game.

Lots of great answers in this thread! And I must very much agree with what you say here. WoW never have been perfect, but have almost been decent/good at all. While other games have failed at one or another aspect so badly it just lost the fun out of it in the end.

Also noticed the last couple of years that most MMORPG is even more static than WoW. Even the way the character moves is static and takes the realism out of it. Ive played a lot of MMORPG that promised well, but your character moved like a lagging wooden pole! If you know what I mean. :) This is not the case in WoW! It just beats all those games at those important aspects that feeling for the character and game is.

What I would like to see in a GROWN UP game today, is developers who goes into DEPTH. Even creating the platform to decrease your latency to their servers by doing the correct research etc. And creating everything as a living realistic world. Even Perma-death types of servers, where you really have to watch your character. It will be a lot more sweaty and hard, but damn what a spirit of realism and honorable character you could build :)

Ohh and I forgot to mention bringing in "Real money" into the MMORPG. Let people use real money to buy items from other players. I think cash item shops could be ok too. Let everyone have a realmoney account, where you could say Duel someone for "10$" and the winner would get it the pot "20$".

Real hard achievements would give you real money from the game company. You could actually make a living out of skills in this game. And so on and so on. Ofcourse I havent covered how this would work, but its possible to set up such an advanced system.

Yeah there are a lot of ideas I have to make another WoW beater.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

I played WoW for a 5 year period, with a total month subscription of over 3 years, unsubscribing when i got tired, and subscribing it again when i realized that there was nothing better out there...

i dont play it anymore not because WoW isnt good, in fact it was the best gaming experience i ever had, but it grew to be a broken game at so many levels it hurts just to think of it.

But yes they did many things right, the IP was solid and with a monster fan base, game engine was cool and ran in a wide range of machines, it had a leveling progress (1-60) that would make you stick to the game, lots of pve content to follow, fair pvp (grew to be great) balance...yeah it appealed to the die hard fans of warcraft but also to rpg lovers that found it to be interesting...ofc all must come to an end and the burning crusade ended it..but ppl still play it..maybe because theres nothing much better out there.

You speak the truth when you say that other tittles could easily had made a dent to WoWs sub player base, but they all suffered the same disease: they were rushed for early launch..i know..because i bought them and played it...games like age of conan, warhammer, aion..man when you think of a mmo game being launched  with a lore baring the name warhammer or conan and you see them fail, you know something wrong....aoc was pratically unplayable and warhammer was a mess...aion omg couldnt log to the game for hours in a row...lotro..well, i wish it would be a different game...

People shouted "wow killer" too many times for me, and i wish it would have been true because i need a game to play, and im runing low on isk in eve, but i just ask for some1 to do it right this time, i dont mind wow stayng for the next 300 years..i just want something as appealing to me as wow was at the very beginning....and....

...only thing aion, war, aoc, lotro killed was my wallet...

Im puting my faith in GW2. After that if that fails its over for me...ill buy a ps3 and all the dragonball and naruto tittles...

How many years will WoW be running this model? Guess forever man.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Loke666

Wow itself is a copy of Everquest (it was made by EQ players for EQ players) even though it is a pretty good copy.

I am not sure that I would say it is the best, that is just a matter of taste but it is still the most popular (and it is almost 7 years now).

You are right however, Blizzard and others have already maxed out what we call the normal MMO mechanics and the next big game will at least have to do some things different if not a lot. The main problem with most current MMOs is not that, it is because they either are buggy messes, have almost no content or both of those.

And yes again, Blizzard are very good with giving their fans what they want, even though it seems like they have lost the touch a bit lately with all the commotion about Diablo 3.

I think the devs ( and players ) need to stop treating this genre as it were console games. It isn't meant for massive constant story upgrades, contant and patching. At the rate we are going, people are expecting more and more and devs are trying to give more and more, but there is only so much you can do before this genre finally burns out. Back in the day, you were givin a world, then it was up to the people to make it. Games like UO, Graal, Hiddenworld were dictated by the players. Story was always new,fresh and rich because it was the players making it not the devs.

In a way though this might be good, because with the constant failings of new companys. and WoW just growing so tiredsome. This genres popularity is going to die and all that will be left is the real mmorpgers. We might see this genre get back on course if so or it just may be never more.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

What I would like to see in a GROWN UP game today, is developers who goes into DEPTH. Even creating the platform to decrease your latency to their servers by doing the correct research etc. And creating everything as a living realistic world. Even Perma-death types of servers, where you really have to watch your character. It will be a lot more sweaty and hard, but damn what a spirit of realism and honorable character you could build :)

I don't think we have to go as far as perma death.. A game Hiddenworld i used to play, when you died. You had to wait 24 hours before you could log back in. And you could only be resurected by a guildy and it was only 1 time you could be rezed in a 24 hour period. Thats good enough while still maintaining that looking over your shoulder feeling. i mean come on, When its friday night and you want to just relax and play your mmo. You sure as fuck dont want to die and wait intill 10pm saturday night to log back in, right?

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Dont confuse most sales with the best. WoW is not the best MMO int he world. It is the most accessible and user friendly, meaning 11 year olds can play it at a competetive level. That doesnt make it the best.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

I have never cared about the story in any RPG and MMORPG. To me it is boring to read a story. If I want a story Ill watch a movie or read a book instead. For me a RPG is all about developing a relationship with your character, getting a great reputation and being able to show off your a professional in what you do. I also like the upcoming armor appearance changer in 4.3, which makes it possible to look a bit more unique. However I would rather have seen the possibility to customize your gear in another way and being able to paint your armor in almost any colors you like. :)

I have never cared about the story in any RPG and MMORPG. To me it is boring to read a story. If I want a story Ill watch a movie or read a book instead. For me a RPG is all about developing a relationship with your character, getting a great reputation and being able to show off your a professional in what you do. I also like the upcoming armor appearance changer in 4.3, which makes it possible to look a bit more unique. However I would rather have seen the possibility to customize your gear in another way and being able to paint your armor in almost any colors you like. :)

I actually kinda beg to difer. While obviously gameplay > story to my opinion one thing that drove me away of Cataclysm is that the story wasn't compelling me anymore.

I'm somewhat of an RP'er and as lolknight it was personal between me and Arthas. I really got into the whole Lich King and DK lore, it gave that little extra meaning to killing those bosses.

In cata it felt like i was grinding gear in order to be able grind better gear and not kill that one bad guy i hated. I didn't give a rats ass about Deathwing. His story was lame to my opinion and he had very little character.

Originally posted by JthX

I don't think we have to go as far as perma death.. A game Hiddenworld i used to play, when you died. You had to wait 24 hours before you could log back in. And you could only be resurected by a guildy and it was only 1 time you could be rezed in a 24 hour period. Thats good enough while still maintaining that looking over your shoulder feeling. i mean come on, When its friday night and you want to just relax and play your mmo. You sure as fuck dont want to die and wait intill 10pm saturday night to log back in, right?

I kind of agree with you viewpoint and can see how valuable your experience is with Hiddenworld. It might be ok to be unable to play that character for 24 hrs, but it sounds a bit soft. Cos you could just jump onto another char. Most players have 10 different chars they can jump on to playing. ;)

Talking about perma-death, I would love the characters to get deleted on death (eventually having a small resurection chance within few minutes) . But that doesnt make you unable to play the game, just that character. You could play another character or make a new one.

I actually kinda beg to difer. While obviously gameplay > story to my opinion one thing that drove me away of Cataclysm is that the story wasn't compelling me anymore.

I'm somewhat of an RP'er and as lolknight it was personal between me and Arthas. I really got into the whole Lich King and DK lore, it gave that little extra meaning to killing those bosses.

In cata it felt like i was grinding gear in order to be able grind better gear and not kill that one bad guy i hated. I didn't give a rats ass about Deathwing. His story was lame to my opinion and he had very little character.

Ohh man I can more or less understand the exitement you had while standing infront of a big bad boss, knowing the story behind it. So yes, story could possible be awesome. I just never was triggered into paying attention to the story. Nothing kept me wanting to learn about the Warcraft lore, ever. If a game manage to get me excited in another way, BIG CUDOS!

Ohh man I can more or less understand the exitement you had while standing infront of a big bad boss, knowing the story behind it. So yes, story could possible be awesome. I just never was triggered into paying attention to the story. Nothing kept me wanting to learn about the Warcraft lore, ever. If a game manage to get me excited in another way, BIG CUDOS!

Well i can understand how you didn't get into the lore. What triggered it for me was rolling a DK and those starting quests, i really like the lore of DK's. And ye it went poof with Cata, DK's had no role in the lore anymore and the villain with an actually interesting lore and personality was replaced by one who was basically the typical pop corn movie over the top bad guy who wants to spread evil and death for the sake of it. Bleh.