Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Gamescom Speculation Time!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With this year's Gamescom in full swing, fans are turning their eyes to any news from the Star Wars: The Old Republic team. After today's EA press conference, even more anticipation has set in. MMORPG.com's Mike Bitton has some speculations to share about what he hopes to hear from Bioware this week. Read on!

&Gamescom and PAX are so close together that PAX is often simply a North American rehash of the events across the pond, but this year may be different as far as The Old Republic goes. While we still have a few shows left this year, Gamescom and PAX are really BioWare’s last chances to make a big splash before the game actually comes out. They still have quite a bit of ammunition in terms of big announcements they can make, so I don’t think PAX will simply be a rehash this time around.

At this point, barring any surprise announcements, only two major systems haven’t been talked about: World PvP and the ‘Legacy’ system.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Gamescom Speculation Time!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Broken link homeys.

Fixed,  good work.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I would like to see more on the legacy system.
  • since there doesn't seem to be a big presentation at gamescom like they will have at pax, i think the pvp info will come at pax.  the big problem with that though is that the TOR panel at pax is going to be on sunday XD. the 15min shows they have scheduled everyday for gamescomim guessing will either be q&as or more live demos of the eternity vault.  although according to their thing about what would be at gamescom last friday, they mentioned there would be some new information revealed so who knows.

edit: one thing i'm curious about is the mystery BiowareMythic panel that will at pax

BioWare Mythic - Content to be Announced

Pegasus Theatre

Saturday 5:30pm - 6:30pm

Come and meet the minds behind some of your favorite games plus check back to this page for exciting updates as PAX draws closer...

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule.php

although i guess this could be for that new warhammer game that was just announced

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm pretty excited to find out what the Legacy system is. I hope it is something complex and cool.

• AlexTaldrenAlexTaldren Member UncommonPosts: 21

I predict more of the same.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Eternity Vault was pretty underwelming.

If they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with solid world pvp mechanics, it'll get me interested in the game again.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Is this speculation of an announcement of an announcement?

• ArtarylArtaryl Member Posts: 66

There's a few thing here. The raid mechanics if it's gonna be only combat as we saw in the live demoing or more than just that (and I do hope for more).

A Release date. That be pretty nice to have but that will be at PAX so still a bit to wait.

And otherwise PvP and Legacy yes. Maybe they'll have another obscur surprise as well, they are usually good at doing that.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Abdar

Eternity Vault was pretty underwelming.

If they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with solid world pvp mechanics, it'll get me interested in the game again.

Yup.  Hopefully they show off something more on Thursday.  The demo this morning was pretty weak.

As for the legacy system, I'd be real sad if it was a reroll incentive.  Locking out races, etc to new players is an awful incentive to keep playing.  One of the worst things CoH ever did was to lock out the alien classes to players who didn't have a level 50 character.  It didn't inspire me to reach 50, but it did make me angry that I couldn't play one.

If that ends up being the case, there's a lot of old school thought going on at Bioware and that's not good for TOR or the MMO genre going forward.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Just to add to the above post, I wish Bioware would drop part of or all of the NDA.  I'm more interested to see what the beta testers and gamesite think of the game.  I'd like to see some player previews of the game rather than just more marketing videos by EA.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Believe me, your in for a treat at gamescon cant say no more wont say no more.

• Originally posted by Artaryl

There's a few thing here. The raid mechanics if it's gonna be only combat as we saw in the live demoing or more than just that (and I do hope for more).

A Release date. That be pretty nice to have but that will be at PAX so still a bit to wait.

And otherwise PvP and Legacy yes. Maybe they'll have another obscur surprise as well, they are usually good at doing that.

i wouldn't count on a release date at pax. its possible but in a recent investors call they said they would be ready to give a hard ship date around september.  i think they may want to get people into the big beta weekends to see if there is anything huge that needs to be fixed due to a larger player base before they commit to a hard date.  but then again perhaps this is why their show is on sunday.  so everything else doesn't get overshadowed by the fact that tor has a release date

• crenshcrensh Member Posts: 6

World pvp is something I would like to hear about. Also I have to agree with Michael that WAR RvR alike system in SWTOR would be great.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Couldnt care less about this game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Id like to see some world PvP objectives, quests things happening.
    Id like to see some info on the legacy system.
    Id like to see them reveal some or all of the other crafting/gathering profs

Other than that, I just want the game to be out.

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    Please don't beat me about the ears for saying this but I'd love a world pvp system similar to a WoW pvp server (contested zones). It's the best system I've seen so far and it seems to work really well. Allowing raids on major cities rocks socks :)
  • esos24esos24 Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Foomerang

Id like to see some world PvP objectives, quests things happening.

Id like to see some info on the legacy system.

Id like to see them reveal some or all of the other crafting/gathering profs

Other than that, I just want the game to be out.

same here :)

• graverobbergraverobber Member UncommonPosts: 25

Personally i hope see an announce that they have removed the pvp lakes from pve servers, but that wont happen :)

Legacy system + dates on the european gametest startup, how could they not give that on the press conf.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Look, don't care much about PvP either way but hope there is enough info on it to at least partially satisfy the rabid pvp fans, including the author of this thread. The more of all types of players the better. Money is the only thing that will keep this game alive and growing and that means players. I get a solo world end game so its probably time for the pvpers to get something they like too.

DDE pre-order - Smuggler first - lots of alts even if I have to buy the character slots.

OH BTW! I read somewhere in a Q&A that when a player gets his/her first character to level cap, then they will be able to have a greater selection of races for any class than originally provided, for the new alts. The 'Legacy' system was the topic under discussion. Do not remember the link, just thought I would mention it as another possibility. A minor plus to encourage more alt play.

Another ohbtw! They said in the Tatooine presentation that the 'Sand Sea' would be a "pvp lake - possibly an open world pvp area'. I remember I was a little disappointed because I thought that would be a great area containing some corporation abandoned ruins and would like to explore without getting ganked. Oh well!

• CyfierCyfier Member Posts: 3
    I'm on the hype wagon for SW:TOR already, collectors edition ordered etc so don't get me wrong I throw this out there but the speculation behind the Legacy system, character rerolls for bonus's screams out an NGE prequel from SWG, we had to play for some time to unlock content then and it was later reshaped so content was accessable to new players, my fear would be, considering this 15 Year plan, are we going working our rear ends off to unlock content that later will be freely available to everyone anyway?

another angle shouts out endgame content avoidance?

I hope it really is nothing than speculation, rerolls are not something I enjoy, personally I prefer one character and max them out, even via pvp stats or for example, LOTRO's deed system. Besides, a reroll system may also suggest short periods to level cap, DC universe, again making further comparison. Don't get me wrong, maybe the class stories will be worth engaging in over and over and over, after all, I've been munching on Bioware games since Neverwinter and I know they're top level story tellers.
  • WindssoulWindssoul Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by AlexTaldren

• WindssoulWindssoul Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by Windssoul

Originally posted by AlexTaldren

Whoops, can't edit it or delete my previous comment so instead I'll just do this.

I predict you will always find only the same in things, because that's what you are looking for.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by kb056

Couldnt care less about this game.

You care enough to feel the need to tell us this.