Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Tanks: History Aflame - Ripper X Takes on WoT

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's own Ripper X ventures into World of Tanks for some first impressions game-play of this tank based warfare MMO. The game is free to play and does include a premium based subscription as well. Check out Ripper's thoughts about his first steps in the game in History Aflame - Ripper X Takes on WoT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Yeah, you should always be moving. Well, unless you know how to make use of terrain to give yourself cover. Even then you still have to pay attention to the types of tanks that are on the other side as terrain that may give you some protection from other tanks may not from SPGs.

Stopping while in the open is never advisable. If you do stop, take the shot and then get moving again. That's what the <space bar> is for. :D

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Looks like it could be fun, but where are the infantry units?  Is this game only about tanks?   Does it use actual terrain of Europe and maps of cities and villages - is it historically acurate?  

• DefendoDefendo Member UncommonPosts: 2

Premium tanks and premium gold ammo = pay to win , and thats a fail.

By all means try it, its good fun, but when you start to get into it youll realise the game is essentailly broken. Add to the fact that all you do is fight pointless 'Random' battles (unless you get in a Clan .. and most clans want Tier9's).

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Originally posted by Defendo

By all means try it, its good fun, but when you start to get into it youll realise the game is essentailly broken. Add to the fact that all you do is fight pointless 'Random' battles (unless you get in a Clan .. and most clans want Tier9's).

that premium thing is just wrong, i havent paid a dime and im wiping Premium tanks off the map. you just need a little more practise against them and you can easily defeat them, just like any other tank.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by Teala

Looks like it could be fun, but where are the infantry units?  Is this game only about tanks?   Does it use actual terrain of Europe and maps of cities and villages - is it historically acurate?  

Only about tanks. It's todays Counter-Strike with the theme of world war 2 tanks and different maps. Team are mixed with different countries and their tanks. The only thing historically accurate are the tanks.

Very fun game though.

• SilvermachinSilvermachin Member UncommonPosts: 13

I quitted Wot after beeing onehit in my tier 9 Jagdtiger. The endgame is flooded by artillery players and even heavy tanks getting killed in seconds. Playing tier 10 heavy tank maus is the same crap. When u show up on battlefield it  hails grenades and u get killed in 8 of 10 games by arty.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

In a word "NO".

It's an arcade style lobby game which can be fun...but definately has a very casual relationship to history or WWII combat.

If you are looking for something a bit more serious....I'd suggest WWII Online. It's dated and I didn't really find it worth a sub, long term...but the combat and historical accuracy were both pretty good. I enjoyed it for the 6-9 months I did play it. Think it has a free trial.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

saying gold tanks are instant win is pointless. i only play T3 tanks using a USA M3 light the only tank that causes me problems at all with my maxed out tank are the german gold tanks, and that is only do to their thicker armor. it takes a few more shots to punch it then the pz2s. higher tiers have their problems like they did in CB but frankly if you play this game like a match in counter strike you will lose 70% of the time. if you actually stop and formulate a plan and work with the other tanks on your team you can actually pull off wins when out numbered 2 to 1 while rare it can and does happen.

prem accounts only boost leveling speed and money to unlock more tanks. but that is really only important when you are grinding to max tanks some times you dont want to use a maus or anything.  bigger tank = slower easier to hit tank... thick armor or not.

match making still kind of sucks though.. some times you just get rolled over as your team are leminings other times you roll. decent game though for a few DM matches unless you get in to that whole clanner war junk

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Defendo

I have played plenty of Pay 2 Win games enough to know WOT is not pay 2 win. Premium ammo helps out in situations where you are using a low level tank against higher progression tanks but its not required, particularly if you know how to use the AP & HE round effectively.

The Premium tanks I have not yet come up against but I have looked at their stats & they seem on par with other tanks at those tiers. Buying a premium tank It seems more like a way to skip down the tech tree to get something in the tier you want instead of having to own multiple tanks and move down the tech tree.

The only two things that really is tempting for the cash are the experience conversion (lets you transfer unused XP from one tank to another) and opening additional tank slots in the garage so you can own more tanks at once.

Not Pay 2 win IMHO, and you can have a heck of a lot of fun without ever spending a dime.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Is this the new darkfall? Do we really need yet another topic on this non mmo?

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Tank dueling without infantry cover is not too "realistic".  Though, we need not be true to life in a game.

• tauthetauthe Member Posts: 5
    I've seen these guys at pax. Now they did have a few hill's to climb, but with what they showed I was pretty impressed. More so an indie team trying tostomp with the big dogs. How they end up is anyone clues. All I can say is that I look forward to what they are going to do and show in the next few weeks.