Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forsaken World: Are Aesthetics Enough?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest review, MMORPG.com's CatMo takes a look at Perfect World Entertainment's Forsaken World. Forsaken World brings high fantasy to PWE's stable of free to play MMOs and gorgeous graphics to boot. But are aesthetics enough to score big with players? Find out in CatMo's review and then let us know what you think in the comments.

The graphics in the game are really quite amazing. While I usually play on my desktop, surprisingly, what I really appreciate about all the PWE games so far is that I can still play this game on my seven-year-old laptop. The lag is very minimal since there’s a handy option on the screen to cut down on the graphics when in a busy main town like Freedom Harbor, or in an instance.

Read more of CatMo's Forsaken World: The MMORPG.com Review - Are Aesthetics Enough?.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Thanks for taking the time to present your review. It's reasonably fair to be honest, I think, but it does leave the reader with a slightly negative feeling overall which I don't think is entirely justified.

I would have to strongly disagree with your comment  at the end regarding a lack of content - I currently have a level 35 mage in the game and I haven't stopped for breath in the last week. There is so much to do in this game that you won't get half of it done on your first character.

The activities themselves are, perhaps, a little mundane at times, but there is a tonne of variety so if you're a little fed up at one thing, you can switch to something else. A lot of effort has gone into this game (bearing in mind that it's not that long out) and I think it shows. You only need to play a game like Runes of Magic - which is little more than a rickety platform holding up an over-priced cash shop -  to see the strengths of Forsaken World.

I do think your right though, a solo player will eventually feel a little irrelevant in Forsaken World. I can't really explain that comment, I just feel that if it wasn't for the guild chatter (and their occasional assistance), I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Guild membership is important in FW.

Good game though and not overly cash shop reliant (at this stage anyway), though as you say, those with cash will have stronger characters than those without. That's the FTP way, you either live with it or move on.

I'd say to anyone who fancies a chance, give this one a try - you've got nothing to lose except a little time.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I would just like to note that this chinese made MMO literally stole models from WoW.

not even kidding, actually exported the 3D models and animations for various enemies

that's all

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I agree with most of your review and have to wonder why the higher score?  It's a negative review for the most part and should put this game in the 6 and under category.  Many of the issues you described, like having to run back and forth over and over to complete quests, made me uninstall the game.  If it can't keep me playing the game deserves a very low score.  

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

This cash-cow aint worth the score given here, IMHO.

The game does have some strengths, thats for sure, but i beleive that any game that can easily cost much more than 15$ a month for higher levels  IS a cash-cow, ESPECIALLY considering that there is even some (cash shop) gabling-involved, ALBEIT its LIMITED gambling, and not as bad at all as what some other so called ''free2play'' games have out there.

All in all, IMO, it has pretty graphics, recently introduced mounted combat, some unique race/class combos, BUT the storyline sucks, (eh,, there actually is no storyline, ALMOST:D,) there really isnt much to do in this game besides grinding and some other very (more so than SOME other mmos) mundane activities, coupled with almost-forced cash shop backed by a limited gambling system. (Flavor of the month mounts etc are gambled for, BUT also equipment upgrades can be done via the CS, but there is a chance to fail etc)

All in all I would personally give this game a 5.9 out of 10 currently! But if they were to add more quest and storyline driven activities into this game, got totally rid of the ''REAL MONEY gambling functions mentioned above), AND stuff was cheaper in the cash shop (it costs like 14 bucks (in american dollars) to pay for a mount where i live), than i would gladly play this game and spend money on it too.

Just my two cents, cheers!

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Are aesthetics enough? What aesthetics? EMO guys and big boob girls? And their movement? What is the reviewer concept of aesthetics anyway? 

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Wow look another "YAWN" MMO. Not like we don't have enough MMO's that bring nothing new to the genre.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

I'd play it, but there are plenty of better F2P games on the market.

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

I might have liked it but dwarf females made me angfry to what they did. Biology  says that anime monstyrosity should not be able to bear a Dwarven child. I they wanted gnomes they should have made gnomes.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

And what asthetics? Its emo vampires, gmone women dating Dwarf men, impossible body formations, the whole asiatic appeal nonsense; and to top it off the game brings nothing to the genre that wasn't done somewhere else.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Personally I think the review was too positive.  I don't find any redeeming qualities in this MMO.  Just  too many issues.   I actually got a character to lvl 46 and gave up in disgust.

As to the cash shop it is mandatory after lvl 50 if not earlier.  This is NOT a free game.

• LaeceeLaecee Member Posts: 1

I am sorry but cannot bring myself to play ANY game that has the female characters adventuring and killing monsters in STILETTO HEELS!!

Big thumbs down

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

I generally agree with the review and think that overall the score should be a bit lower. I was also recently rather pissed with something the company did; they released a bunch of mounts in the cash shop that are now accessible to rich enough lvl 20 players, but the mounts have the stats of those that were originally limited to lvl 50 players and over. Getting one of those lvl 50 mounts was an achievement to strive for, since they were faster than the first one you could get at lvl 30 and could also be used underwater. Now, anyone with money can just grab one even before you get the basic one at lvl 30!

Total cash grab, and it made me realize that PWE that makes it doesn't care about putting in good content and keeping the heirarchy of item quality in sync with the character levels; they want to get money any way possible and if they have to screw over the game content, so be it. That is not a good way to maintain a game, and I am heavily considering quitting this one.

Where's the any key?

• MostWiseMostWise Member Posts: 10

I believe the gist of the review does not match the final score in that it appears to be very negative.

Here's a couple of my impressions, for what they're worth.

I'm really enjoying the mechanics behind the pet taming and incubation. The sense of anticipation tempered by the probability of disappointment when your "green" pet has been incubating 29 mins is enthralling, for me, anyway.

I would classify myself largely as a solo player, but I'm in a very active guild that is just starting construction quests for the guild base. The whole concept has certainly made me a lot more sociable than I otherwise would be.

Server population always seems pretty good to me, and I live in Oz!

My only real whinge is that the game crashes regularly in Freedom Harbour. (I may try the option the article writer alluded to).

My rating: 8.4.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Yeah, I found the relatively high review score at odds with the review itself. I'm playing FW at the moment and it is fun in its own way. Sure, there's plenty of step and fetch it quests, but many of the sub-only games have this, so that's nothing new or surprising.

The biggest problem with this game is there's too much in it information-wise too soon, and not a  good job done at explaining it.

You do get what you pay for, I suppose.

• jab2jab2 Member Posts: 2

I had played FW myself. This is what i find about the game it has pve servers that you must do pvp events to get rewards for daily quests. There are just too many daily quests that doesnt leave alot of time for main quests. And the main quests isnt enough to carry you far enough to reach the next levels higher up to get next main quest. To sum it up. Too much daily's not enough main quests. and forcing pvp upon non pvp people on pve servers.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Lodbias should be set at -2.also they need to simplify buying currency. You buy x.to buy.y.to buy z.and with that you can buy the item.beurk.game isnt bad till 25 ten asian grimd kick in and buuing stuff is such a hurdle you leave before understanding.(that is what happenede to me
  • WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

I took the time to download this game about a month ago.

It wasn't long when my Dwarf started eating a banana.

Well, for any of you that have seen that... that was enough.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

I'd really like to play some of these asain games, but I find it hard to play with no mouse support beside the norm. I can't assign 6 of my buttons on MX518  mouse to anything.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I'd say that leveling to 30 is pretty easy in the game, that is when everything really starts getting repetetive.  After a certain amount of time, the xp requirement to level up keeps increasing drasticely.  And as someone else said, once you run out of the main quest line, you are stuck for a level or 2 before you can get back on it, and it doesn't last long before you have to wait again.  It can be very annoying.  that score works till around level 35, then I would give it a much lower score because it really drops off and fast.  Add in the fact that they have bugs that they won't fix or don't even know how to fix,  it get very irritating really quick.  If you just want a game to be sociable in then this game could work for you,  but I found the gameplay to suck myself, and I usually never have a problem with gameplay in a game.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

surprised you didn't mention the horrid interface. Every players name is set in the same 2D plane, and when you get more players, prepared to be bombarded with text everywhere.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Nice review, the scores are a bit high IMO..  I played for a while, and although its not the WORST Pay to Win mmo, its certainly isnt very good :-/

But you could sum up all of Perfect worlds game by saying "Halfway decent, HIGHLY pay to win lol

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

why play wow / sw:tor / rift / or any other p2p theamparks out there..if you want your 3-4hr theampark fix..just play this you wont be dissapointed

• mattster59mattster59 Member Posts: 1

I can agree with most of that krelian but when i played i had a 50 sin when the cap was 50 and there litterly was nothing to do other then do grinding dailies or grinding dungeons for blues to break into mats for better blues. Your right you can switch out stuff to do but its only dailies and events which are repetitive either way. And if your new to perfect world games you should know all their games go cash shop reliant sooner or later (i assume you though cus you said "yet"). If they would take the gems out of the cash shop on FW i think it would be much better. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Between the game play and the in-game music I had a lot of problems just keeping my eyes open long enough to do anything in the game. Almost as boring as Duck Hunt!

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • FW is a typical asian grindfest. Quest are all the same, when after a certain level you go out of quest what is left are, daily dungeon, and daily quest. No more. Gathering is pretty boring too.

End game = zero, the goal of these games are character development through massive grind, after 2 years of massive grind the only thing you can do is uninstall because there is no mor econtent to keep you busy.

Combat is dull, like any f2p mmo, Tab targeting and spamming of skills, no dodge, no tactics. Game is also heavy gear dependant and attacks are based on RNG like crafting, you win if you have the best enchants and aging, mean who buy preservation stones from item shop to avoid failure has the best gear = automatically win in pvp.

4/10 my final vote, because is a another redundant clone with a different skin.