Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: EA Announces Wrath of Heroes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

At today's Gamescom press conference, EA announced a new MOBA title, Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes. The site is now up and is accepting beta registrations for the game that's expected to go live later this fall. Wrath of Heroes will be free to play.

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes is the newest Play4Free title from BioWare that puts players in a fight for their lives with competitive PvP arena combat. These explosive three team battles aren’t for the faint of heart as success hinges on destroying all who oppose your team to strategically claim and hold bases. This is the legendary Warhammer Online like you’ve never seen it before where to emerge victorious and claim your rightful place atop the leaderboards, you must live to fight.

Features include:

• Accessible Gameplay: Fast fierce fun that takes the best from Warhammer Online and delivers dynamic 3 Team PvP scenarios all for free

• Explosive Three Team PvP Combat: Experience innovative 6 v 6 v 6 battles where the competition is fierce and strategic alliances are made to be broken

• Swap Heroes on the Fly: Change the tide of any battle by selecting a new hero mid-game – confound your foes and dominate the battlefield

Check out the Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I definitely saw 'Play Free' at the end of their promo vid. Nice. Bit like Quake deathmatches but Arena style from WoW but er, Warhammer.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Now we know what the WAR team has been working on :)

Doesn't look like faction/race matters, which is a shame, not sure I want Chaos and Empire on the same team :(

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

looks like it could be pretty fun...

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

So... they basically recycled WAR assets to make a new game?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Methos12

So... they basically recycled WAR assets to make a new game?

As long as its fun, who cares

I self identify as a monkey.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Everyone had their hopes up that the news which was under NDA was something good for Warhammer Online. Now it's revealed to be nothing of the sort.

• EdsworEdswor Member UncommonPosts: 1

It's me or the game have a little "touch" of cell-shading?

image image

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

So...is this an addendum to WAR? Is it an entirely new game? If so, what does this mean for support for WAR? Are the heroes you choose based on your stable of Regular WAR characters you've developed or do you develop entirely new ones? Or is there any development at all?

Confused.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

yay lets all jump into moba bandwagon.

Originally posted by Talthanys

So...is this an addendum to WAR? Is it an entirely new game? If so, what does this mean for support for WAR? Are the heroes you choose based on your stable of Regular WAR characters you've developed or do you develop entirely new ones? Or is there any development at all?

Confused.

They're seperate.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

It's ironic. They are finally going with a "3 team/faction system" and they are doing it in instanced PvP - the one place where 3 factions are worse than 2, IMHO.

Also, does this really count as Warhammer Online news? Isn't this a new game all together?

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Wouldn't be surprised if Age of Reckoning gets scrapped if the new game makes more money using RMT.

Originally posted by nyxium

Wouldn't be surprised if Age of Reckoning gets scrapped if the new game makes more money using RMT.

Yes, this is my concern as well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nyxium
    Yes, this is my concern as well.

Isn't WAR kind of like this anyway, except you have a pointless grind to get to a competitive level?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Isn't WAR kind of like this anyway, except you have a pointless grind to get to a competitive level?

Hmm, well, I see Wrath of Heroes as more of a juiced up Scenario with Heroes that you can buy stuff for. Easily less than one half of the usual WAR experience, in my opinion.

There is a grind in WAR once you reach a certain RR (namely 40), but the 'grind' is PvP which, to me, is far more palatable than a PvE grind. Your mileage may vary.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

So a P2W pvp game... sounds fun?    I miss the good bioware.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

What im getting from this is it isn't even an MMO. Its just a instanced battleground with team play and toons you pick to play, and the only thing there is to do is log on and fight. might be a cool idea for some but id rather play a MMO

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

Magestorm anyone? This could be the greatest thing ever made!

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Well it has three sided pvp, the warhammer IP and is basically just running a bunch of scenarios for free...

I'm struggling to see the negative... its not like WAR was a good mmo outside scenarios (shit world design, crafting,quests, dungeons...) lol.

Might as well just close WAR down and expand WAR:WoH

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by lizardbones

Hmm, well, I see Wrath of Heroes as more of a juiced up Scenario with Heroes that you can buy stuff for. Easily less than one half of the usual WAR experience, in my opinion.

There is a grind in WAR once you reach a certain RR (namely 40), but the 'grind' is PvP which, to me, is far more palatable than a PvE grind. Your mileage may vary.

Sounds like you haven't played it for a while. When they raised the RR cap to 100 and added new gear it changed the game completely. Everyone now grinds their normal levels as slowly as possible while keeping their RR up as high as possible, preferably RR 70 before you hit T4 or you're just a piece of paper ready to be torn. No one does SC's anymore either, because they give too much normal XP, meaning its a long slow grind when you get out of t1 until you go to t4. That grind mostly consists of flipping empty keeps unless you play solely in the few hours a day the game is populated decently.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Think this is EA's attempt to get into esports?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

This is bioware putting the final nail in mythics coffin, they just killed their game with their own game.

They need to stop calling themselves bioware and just go with EA because thats who they are...the bioware that was is long gone.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by umcorian

It's ironic. They are finally going with a "3 team/faction system" and they are doing it in instanced PvP - the one place where 3 factions are worse than 2, IMHO.

Also, does this really count as Warhammer Online news? Isn't this a new game all together?

Of course it counts as Warhammer Online news. It's Warhammer, its Online...... sigh @ this old argument again... LOL.

Warhammer charaters in a different game.. but still Warhammer, and it is online allbeit an arena style team base experience.

At least they are up front about what kind of a game it is.

Work hard Play Harder

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

As a Warhammer fan, I am disgusted by this upcoming game.

EDIT; Explanation: This is, atleast it seems to me (gutfeeling too), a cheap shot at getting a slice of the esports MOBA pie, while utilizing a known and popular IP (once again).

Originally posted by Kabaal

Sounds like you haven't played it for a while. When they raised the RR cap to 100 and added new gear it changed the game completely. Everyone now grinds their normal levels as slowly as possible while keeping their RR up as high as possible, preferably RR 70 before you hit T4 or you're just a piece of paper ready to be torn. No one does SC's anymore either, because they give too much normal XP, meaning its a long slow grind when you get out of t1 until you go to t4. That grind mostly consists of flipping empty keeps unless you play solely in the few hours a day the game is populated decently.

I have not played in a long time, yes. The last time I played you had to run SC's to get tokens/insignias/crests or whatever they are called for the RvR weapons and armor. My main is level 40 RR 55 (or so). I just resubbed to check it out, so it sounds like I have some pain to go through before I can expect to be effective. Disappointing.

Thanks much for the info. Think I'll post a general query in the WAR forum.