Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SV Officially asks fans to come to MMORPG.COM and defend Mortal Online

Comments

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Sorry, but if they simply had a beter game, they wouldn't need to worry about people's opinions.

I tried their game when they released the trial, but it's just so buggy, and very annoying to interact with. The combat is a pretty boring leftclick-fest and the mob AI is... eh, very basic? They aggro on you and do invisible melee attacks, trading blows till one of you dies. PvP is more of a case of knowing all the exploits.

I would love to list more positive things, but the negative ones seem to have prevented me from getting to the good parts. Perhaps one thing I liked was the really dark nights and being able to turn around with torches.

I'm not going to get too negative here but really, they need to fix their game, not complain that people have opinions.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

Someone is trying to rally the troops....

Community Manager

This thread has been picked up by the people over at MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../324109/page/4

If you are going over there, or do participate in discussions, I would like to encourage you to follow their Rules of Conduct, and once again, be calm, be polite.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Moreplex

Community Manager

If you are going over there, or do participate in discussions, I would like to encourage you to follow their Rules of Conduct, and once again, be calm, be polite.

He should come on over

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by Moreplex

Community Manager

As if it's that hard to follow these RoC's here, really. Especially in comparison to the MO forums.

But honestly, SV still doesn't understand the difference between "customers" and "minions". It's better than my daily soap opera. What do they.. expect to happen? What do they think the outcome will be?

Originally posted by Benthon

He should come on over

I agree. He wouldn't be banned here for whatever he says, unlike business as usual in the MO forum..

People don't pay 15 bucks to follow orders, when will they get it into their heads?

• FrotusFrotus Member Posts: 91

I installed the game and activated the Trial yesterday.

I can see why the game is in trouble..

I've already uninstalled the Game.

Why?

1) Clunky Interface

2) Buggy targeting

3) Feels like I am playing an older game build on an old game engine rather than on a newer Unreal engine.

Maybe there are tricks to setting up the interface or key commands that weren't obvious that make the interface smoother, however it wasn't clear and I didn't feel there was any evidence that this pattern would change with other aspects of the game. It just seems forced together, stitched poorly by beginners. Maybe the next game SV does will show signs they have gained skill in their craft. If not, then they should just stop now and find something else to do.

• nortoninortoni Member Posts: 48

So many many many pages of damnation.   Who'd have though it?   I wonder who is really feeling that threatened .....

The threat is real though.  The rest are lame beyond fixing.

Its about me

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Frotus

I installed the game and activated the Trial yesterday.

I can see why the game is in trouble..

I've already uninstalled the Game.

Why?

1) Clunky Interface

2) Buggy targeting

3) Feels like I am playing an older game build on an old game engine rather than on a newer Unreal engine.

Maybe there are tricks to setting up the interface or key commands that weren't obvious that make the interface smoother, however it wasn't clear and I didn't feel there was any evidence that this pattern would change with other aspects of the game. It just seems forced together, stitched poorly by beginners. Maybe the next game SV does will show signs they have gained skill in their craft. If not, then they should just stop now and find something else to do.

I tried the trial a few weeks ago, and my experience was pretty much the same. When the game wasn't crashing every 5-10 minutes, it took me an hour to get a character made due to a bug where if you apparently take too long customizing your character, it times out and you have to re-log. Then when I was finally in the game, again with crashing every 5-10 minutes, I couldn't make heads or tails of the controls and UI.

I gave several hours of my time trying to actually play the game. At least an hour or two of that was trying to troubleshoot the crashing and updating drivers, tweaking options etc. In the end it just well, wasn't good. I can definitely understand why people complain about this game as much as they do, it's simply just a poorly cobbled together game. That's without even getting into the more advanced bugs and political BS that comes out of the developer.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Someone in this thread put up a link to the wikipedia page for the revision history of Mortal Online.

I'm still laughing my backside off at that.  If you refresh the MO page on Wikipedia daily, you will apparently see constant changes.

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Don't play MO, didn't really care either way until I stumbled upon this bit.  I've read the defenses of this game yet I noticed none of them addressed the moonwalking bear (thank you Leverage for that metaphor) in the room... it's never a good PR move to openly admit you asked a game news site to police their forums beyond what is called for by the standard ToS/ToA (or their specific Terms of Agreement for that matter.)  And of course since they admitted that the "grey areas" aren't violating the ToS, well... enough said.

In conclusion:  While I have not played your game SV, how you defend Mortal Online ensures I will certainly spend my hard-earned money somewhere else.

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

I don't have any interest in MO but let me see if I am getting this straight. 

Some people on MMORPG.com are saying bad stuff about MO and one of their devs asks MMORPG.com to censor it?  Having failed that he asks the MO community to come flood MMORPG.com with "constructive" feedback?

Is that the gist of it?

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by zonzai

I don't have any interest in MO but let me see if I am getting this straight. 

Some people on MMORPG.com are saying bad stuff about MO and one of their devs asks MMORPG.com to censor it?  Having failed that he asks the MO community to come flood MMORPG.com with "constructive" feedback?

Is that the gist of it?

Apparently.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

The share magnitude of negative posts for MO is quite uncommon even for this site. While all games have theyr share of negative they also have quite a few positive in em. Mo i have noticed are mostly negative with very little positive.

Originally posted by ravtec

The share magnitude of negative posts for MO is quite uncommon even for this site. While all games have theyr share of negative they also have quite a few positive in em. Mo i have noticed are mostly negative with very little positive.

Maybe it's just a crappy game.  I wouldn't know.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I have seen that there is fully nudity in the game. What I want to know if there are titty phyics for jiggly bewbs.

If they do not have jiggly bewbs then there is thier problem. Sounds kind of silly, but why implement full nudifty and not make the most of it?

It is obvious they want a mature world that is dark, twisted, and quite sexual. In my opinion if they go the full nine yards, well in my case it would be a lot smaller than that, but if they go the full nine yards then their world will represent the dark feeling of a lawless land.

Who cares about being politically correct with violence, gore, and sexual themes (excluding real life allusions)? If that is the problem these days with adult titles with gore, violence and sexual themes being politically correct, then what is the point of making a mature game with what seems to be nothing more than gimicks. 

There should be gambling, wenches, bar fights, bloody quests, gore, the horror, etc with the occasional sunshine as something to be appreciate every once in a while. Just having an open world does not cut it, it just leaves it out to the community to create the game for ourselves, and that does not seem to be the winning formula at the moment.

I will wait patiently for confirmation of the sweater puffs gone bonkers. Till then it should be implemented or no dice.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Horn_Of_NaveHorn_Of_Nave Member Posts: 24

Oo You think?

Time to right some wrongs...

Originally posted by Horn_Of_Nave

Oo You think?

Yeah really, I second that.  WTF is with people posting incomprehensible gibberish today?

So I've just subbed to this forum.

Think it's time to right some wrongs that I've seen posted here. 

Been playing MMOs for ... 15+ years now (longer than some of the posters here have been alive) And whilst currently flawed Mortal Online is without doubt the most interesting game out there atm. 

I've tried most of the MMOs out there - everyhitng from dark ages of camalot to the extremely disappointing Star Trek online, Eve, star wars galaxies (sigh) superhero games, WW2 MMOs, blah blah.

Nothing, ever, has ever given me the adrenaline rush that I get form this game.  In fact it's so bad that I have to be careful not to pvp too much - I end up with  he shakes and sweat on my keyboard and mouse! There's something about the visceral combat that's in this game, that hack and block, charged hits that feels... real.  When you've cut somebody's head off and it goes rolling down a hill - well there's just something special about that.

Yes - nudity - full loot, full pvp, great crafting, house building, Guild and wars, siegeing, catapults and mounted combat (to mention just a few) are all there and in-game.  Some of it isn't working 100% but they're working on it and the patches keep coming, the gears keep turning and quietly without fuss these guys are literally building a world.

Star Trek online should have been like this - it should have been the inky blackness of space - point starship in X direction and start exploring - instead it's just crappy system map with worlds to click on and fly to, landing party, loot, rinse and repeat. Blurgh.

How often do you actually get properly lost in most MMOs? How often do you see a figure on the horizon and have to make a snap decision to fight or flee in STOL or Conan - I started to level a Mage in Conan only to find ten other people wearing the same shit stood next to me to pick up the next question - things like that break a game for me, not the odd bug, crash or broken mechanic.

SV have been adding layer after layer to their cake.  I did wonder why they'd put food and gathering in instead of other features.  But then they added potion making (which you needed gathering for) so now we have cookery, potion making and oh,, yes poisons too.  Henrik has hinted that player made traps will be coming shortly - so we'll be able to drop player crafter poisons onto player crafter traps! This in itself isn't the best thing ever-ever, but it shows a steady progression and a roadmap to something that when in its complete form will be gamechanging for the industry.  Those of you stuck in your little cart rolling around the themeparks you're playing in should come and try this.

A warning tho - to paraphrase one of the guilds in game - get good or get gone.

Those of you not 18+ just hang in there.

[Mod Edit]

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Give up Henrik...we are not gonna play your Unreal engine mod.

I guess you've not read many of Henrik's posts... love him but English isn't his first language!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Let's all take a deep breath and stay on topic here.   THIS particular thread is not about the merits or deficiencies of MO.  I am glad there are a few posters who like the game.  This thread is specificly about the Community Manager asking players to come to this site and defend the game, when he has (so far) not done so himself, or at least not done so openly.   This is after he has apparently (often) been rebuffed in his efforts to have bad information here censored.

So again, I think having more folks come and visit this forum is a GREAT thing!   I simply hope that Black Opal will lead by example and actually show up here to personally clear up the "grey areas" for us!   Like I said, I have a nice list of questions all ready for him.   If he wants to field those questions (and others) in an open, uncensored (yet still moderated) forum... I think that would do a world of good for his game.   I think asking random fans to go defend your game on a 3rd party website, but not doing so yourself, is a HUGE mistake for StarVault (but still a nice bump for MMORPG.COM).

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Slapshot - I see what you're saying and you make good points.

I'm obviously very pro-MO otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to come here and take a pop at some of the mis-information I've been reading.

But it is quite bad - and there is an awful ot of total dross being spoken by folk.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by Shizaxxx

So this is basically a nice way of saying: "It sucks we can't delete posts on other websites".

Good stuff, good stuff... "Haters" aren't the only ones who twist the truth - fanbois does it aswell.

This. They've definitely tried to bully MMORPG.com before and Wikipedia.

Umm, I'd hardly say they "bully" wikipedia. There is very little that Starvault has actually done on the wikipedia page, and its hard to top what some of the anti- MO posters have done there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mortal_Online&action=historysubmit&diff=444842303&oldid=444837164

This is from 6 days ago . Someone wiped the entire entry and replaced it with one sentence "MO is known as the worst MMORPG ever to be developped in history"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Qwyrxian/Archive_4#Your_message

This is  the discussion between Qwyrxian (a wikipedia editer) and someone from Starvault. Since you are mentioned in the discussion I'm sure you are aware that  Qwyrxian pointed out that it the negative additions didn't fit the definition of vandalism but that they did not meet the NPOV or no original research standards.  The person adding the negative comments ended up being banned for that and for using the name "Starvault" to make the posts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:StarVault

As to the fact that there are not already more people on this forum countering the negative comments, that is in part due to the fact that many people feel that it would be futile. A simple search for "osmunda" on the MO forums will bring up a couple threads of people expressing that opinion

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

Well not only does this show what the MO forums are all about (Opal isn't asking for a dialogue, he's asking the fanboys to advertise), this also shows how little experience he has with community management. Obviously none before MO, and by that I mean, he hasn't even observed other communities before. That shows a lack of talent and/or lack of interest in his work imo.

If you put together a group of happy players with a group of unhappy players who complain, the happy players will catch the bittervet disease and join them. What has been seen cannot be unseen. The unhappy players point out flaws in the game, the happy players can't look away anymore.

I'd probably still be playing Eve if I hadn't touched their forums.

That doesn't have to mean that the flaws aren't real. In the case of MO I honestly can't see anything else than flaws anymore - the game was better before Dawn, even though it still sucked. Worst expansion ever, and I even tried Eve Incarna for about 5 minutes.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by username509

Mortal Online is simply the best phantasy sandbox MMO on the market right now.  Handsdown.  It has a healthy population and the game has been live now for well over a year.  It's not failing.  It's thriving.  

A lot of things are purposefully twisted by the members on these forums  to sound worse than they actually are and any positives downplayed to seem trivial.  This is 100% true.  If a legitimate critic didn't like the game they would make 2 or 3 posts about how much it sucked and then moved on.  There are people on these forums who have made literrally THOUSANDS apon THOUSANDS of excessive negative posts about Mortal Online.  That's not just trolling. It's a metal problem.  

I can't believe this post is over 7 pages long in less then a day. It just goes to show how Mortal Online can generate debate and friction between openpvp fullloot gamers and there butthurt victems.  Ultimately for anyone who hasn't played this game before I wouldn't believe anything posted on these forums.  Simply install the the game and play the free trial then make your own opinion about the game.  

Meh, I'd have to say UO still has the title for best fantasy sandbox MMO on the market.... which is why even with it's outdated graphics and over a decade life span it still has more subs than MO and were talking a great deal more subs lol. 

The problems with GM intervention durring sieges is real.......

They Did delete a whole town.........

The game is and has been buggy as hell........

There have been and still are to many exploits.........(Unless this has changed very recently)

The public opinion of MO and SV is derived from the problems MO has and the actions of SV, only a minor part of it comes from people reading negative comments on a forum. 

I mean..... the reason there are thousands upon thousands of excessively negative posts about Mortal Online is because the game and the devs that developed it and run it have managed to piss out a great deal of people in one manner or another.

SV is simply being made to lay in the bed they have made for themselves. 

I mean seriously this all started long ago, one of the big ones I remember was the fallout between players that paid extra for a Physical copy of the game that were continually strung along until SV eventually said they weren't sending any because it would be a waste of time essentially lol. Did the players get at least the price difference refunded? No. Not unless like me they did a charge back :) Though mine was a pre-order and the charge back was because the game was an unfinished mess and they refused to refund me. 

In any case, your entitled to your opinion but don't blame players/former players. SV has brought the negativity on themselves. A little honesty and professionalism would have went a long way. The lack of those gets you this kind of treatment. When they F up now days it's made visiable for all to laugh at. 

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by osmunda

Originally posted by Shizaxxx

So this is basically a nice way of saying: "It sucks we can't delete posts on other websites".

Good stuff, good stuff... "Haters" aren't the only ones who twist the truth - fanbois does it aswell.

This. They've definitely tried to bully MMORPG.com before and Wikipedia.

Umm, I'd hardly say they "bully" wikipedia. There is very little that Starvault has actually done on the wikipedia page, and its hard to top what some of the anti- MO posters have done there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mortal_Online&action=historysubmit&diff=444842303&oldid=444837164

This is from 6 days ago . Someone wiped the entire entry and replaced it with one sentence "MO is known as the worst MMORPG ever to be developped in history"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Qwyrxian/Archive_4#Your_message

This is  the discussion between Qwyrxian (a wikipedia editer) and someone from Starvault. Since you are mentioned in the discussion I'm sure you are aware that  Qwyrxian pointed out that it the negative additions didn't fit the definition of vandalism but that they did not meet the NPOV or no original research standards.  The person adding the negative comments ended up being banned for that and for using the name "Starvault" to make the posts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:StarVault

As to the fact that there are not already more people on this forum countering the negative comments, that is in part due to the fact that many people feel that it would be futile. A simple search for "osmunda" on the MO forums will bring up a couple threads of people expressing that opinion

I'm an editor on Wikipedia and have to clean up the mess that many fanboys make.

Every few days a "Trivia" section pops up and brags about how basshunter plays the game.

Every few days I have to edit the system requirements because people edit them and then don't source them.

Any description about the game that is put in is unsourced and uses phrases like "This is a complex game compared to today's MMOs", "Mortal Online is a dramatic experience", "Mortal Online takes skill".

On the other hand I saw many deletions of properly sourced entries such as the disabling of Dawn features in "Under Development".

Overall the article is terrible. Very few citations and very broad claims.

This discussion has been closed.