Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should We Add Diablo 3?

Comments

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by Gishgeron

Originally posted by P2PGamer

LOL   Yes, it's funny they wait until they show a commanding lead with the YES vote before they start showing the results.  This entire thread and poll should just be deleted as the staff at MMORPG.com already knew their decision.  It's turning ugly now with the "games" being played.

Your tone suggests that you think the vote was ever "No" to begin with.  They didn't really play any games with you, they posted an innocent poll.  They were probably trying to decide what the best direction for this site was, given the direction the MMO market has gone in.  Yes, they have had games like that for a long time.  They were very few in number.  With such a large IP in the mix...it means that many many more will follow.  It was time for a rea discussion on the matter.  Before now, there was NO discussion on the matter, at least not meaningful ones that affected anything.

If I had to guess, this poll was going to shape some of the direction they take now.  They may have been conisdering what to do next...honestly the genre will be completely dead soon if they don't adapt their definition of it.  Traditional MMO's are quickly becoming a thing of the past.  While this site IS dedicated to, in part, that legacy...its also a business.  People rely on this site to be here to pay their bills.  Beyond that, others are using this site as a platform to launch their dreams and efforts into reality.  If the site fails because the trends changed and it did not, then all of those people will have nothing.

Stop being such a child and wake up to the reality of the world around you.

Your post would have merit but two facts blow your thinking out of the water.  One, they waited until a 60/40 yes/no split before allow us to view the results of the poll.  Two, they already admitted the decision was already made to add D3.  Since the decision was already made, there was no point to the poll.  To me, if MMOPRG.com would just admit that D3 is too big of an IP and game to ignore and they were adding it to take advantage of the added revenue, I'm cool with that.  Pretending like there was a debate with the community about the decision is childish.  FYI, no I am not bashing the staff of MMORPG.com over any of this, the real kicker here is people defending this like it was a real discussion and the community had a voice in the decision even after the staff said we did not.

Power to the Sheeple

• BenedictXVBenedictXV Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Gishgeron

LOL   Yes, it's funny they wait until they show a commanding lead with the YES vote before they start showing the results.  This entire thread and poll should just be deleted as the staff at MMORPG.com already knew their decision.  It's turning ugly now with the "games" being played.

Your tone suggests that you think the vote was ever "No" to begin with.  They didn't really play any games with you, they posted an innocent poll.  They were probably trying to decide what the best direction for this site was, given the direction the MMO market has gone in.  Yes, they have had games like that for a long time.  They were very few in number.  With such a large IP in the mix...it means that many many more will follow.  It was time for a rea discussion on the matter.  Before now, there was NO discussion on the matter, at least not meaningful ones that affected anything.

If I had to guess, this poll was going to shape some of the direction they take now.  They may have been conisdering what to do next...honestly the genre will be completely dead soon if they don't adapt their definition of it.  Traditional MMO's are quickly becoming a thing of the past.  While this site IS dedicated to, in part, that legacy...its also a business.  People rely on this site to be here to pay their bills.  Beyond that, others are using this site as a platform to launch their dreams and efforts into reality.  If the site fails because the trends changed and it did not, then all of those people will have nothing.

Stop being such a child and wake up to the reality of the world around you.

Your post would have merit but two facts blow your thinking out of the water.  One, they waited until a 60/40 yes/no split before allow us to view the results of the poll.  Two, they already admitted the decision was already made to add D3.  Since the decision was already made, there was no point to the poll.  To me, if MMOPRG.com would just admit that D3 is too big of an IP and game to ignore and they were adding it to take advantage of the added revenue, I'm cool with that.  Pretending like there was a debate with the community about the decision is childish.  FYI, no I am not bashing the staff of MMORPG.com over any of this, the real kicker here is people defending this like it was a real discussion and the community had a voice in the decision even after the staff said we did not.

I looked at this poll this morning before going to school, they showed the results as being 50% something yes and 49 something % nays... Your argument just dont hold the line

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by BenedictXV

I looked at this poll this morning before going to school, they showed the results as being 50% something yes and 49 something % nays... Your argument just dont hold the line

Don't know what poll you are looking at as this one right now is a 61 yes 39 no spread.

Power to the Sheeple

• BenedictXVBenedictXV Member Posts: 104

Don't know what poll you are looking at as this one right now is a 61 yes 39 no spread.

I took the pool this morning at 7am eastern time and it showed the result i mentionned up there.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

No.

Because it isn't an mmo.

End of story

• koagzkoagz Member UncommonPosts: 13

It's online, it's an rpg (ORPG)

I don't see why it wouldn't be added?

Plus it's Diablo?

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[1] Actions taken within the game succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[2]

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We didn't admit we're adding it... I don't know where you got that from.  In fact in today's separate article I wrote that we'll only add it if the results are significantly in favor of it, and even at 60% "Yes" I'm hesitant to add it.

If anything right now it's looking like we may add a forum for it, and preview/review it as an "outside the box" type thing but that's it.  That's where the common thinking among the staff and ownership lies right now.

If the poll takes a dramatic turn and goes HUGELY in favor of it?  Then we'll reevaluate the thing.  But right now, it seems even our community can't decide.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Diablo 3 has ONLY online content, so everyone who is comparing it to ANY console game or FPS or single player game that happens to have online content, think about that for a second.

ONLY online play

Where do you guys get the idea that Diablo isn't an RPG?  You can call a duck a dog but that doesn't make it a dog...   It is MOST CERTIANLY an RPG.

an MMO?   YES

Is it being played online by a massive number of players?  YES

Is it a persistant world?  NO

Is a presistant world a prerequisite for being an MMO?  NO

Its an MMORPG.

What is this? Was WoW your first MMORPG, or no, don't tel me, you came from Diablo 2 right?

Well I have news for you :

"Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

Just look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

Given that Diablo3 supports a multi-player environment, with a high-fantasy RPG element I personally feel like it should be added and would look forward to reading related news.

I enjoy visiting this website for stories, posts and feedback on all MMO related games. For the most part I think Diablo 3 offers a lot of cross-over appeal to those of us who play in more persistent worlds.

Those people who are not inclined to consider Diablo 3 relevant can always choose not to move their mouse or clicky finger.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Suraknar

What is this? Was WoW your first MMORPG, or no, don't tel me, you came from Diablo 2 right?

Well I have news for you :

"Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

Just look it up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

Ultima Online : T2A was my first MMO.  No need to be snarky.

What I am saying is Definitions CHANGE over time, as we as a society redefine them to mean different things.  Which is what I said in other posts in this thread, did you read them?  I doubt it   :-(

The old term of MMO is as you define it sure, however there is a new generation of gamer coming to play with us, should we be firm and elitist?  Nah  lets be nice and play nice.  Diablo 3 is the kind of game that the new generation of gamer would call an MMO, why the change?  Well we have a LOT more games out there now, that means that the genre's either have to narrow and become like how music is now, acid funk rock, alt classic jazz.  Do we need to define MMO's with sub categories?  I'd rather just become more inclusive of games that are similar to MMOs, and their players.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Personally I draw the line at having at least some degree of persistent world, like how DDO, GW2 and Vindictus have city/quest hubs which can be visited ingame and where players - inside the game world - can meet up and gather around.

If it's outside the game world on some site and portal, then there's little difference with FPS based multiplayer games.

But I can see how a site want to broaden their perspective to include more kinds of multiplayer online games, especially the RPG kind. However, that doesn't make those games 'MMORPG's'. If other MMO sites like massively.com and such start reporting their news, in this case Diablo 3, and if the wikipedia tells it's an MMORPG as well, then I guess the definition has by de facto agreement been changed.

Unless that happens, I think it's just a case of adding other type of games than MMORPG's to the site, which isn't wrong of course. After all, all sites change and renew themselves from time to time.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

1) More exposure for the site.

2) MMORPG is a vague term only specifically understood by hardcore game enthusiasts. Many will not see the difference in a ARPG (that's based online) and a MMORPG. Moreover, this genera is changing as a whole, and it's usually a good idea to change with it.

3) Creditability. This ties in with 2, but many people may not understand why it wouldn't be on this site, and thus they dismiss the site as second rate, or worse, incomplete. 

Needless to say I think MMORPG. would benefit from adding Diablo 3 to it's game list.

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by baaallllzzzz

DOES ESPN DO TEENAGE DRAMAS ABOUT VAMPIRES?  NO?!?!?!

WHY NOT???

CUS THAT HAS NOTHING WHATSOsajlkfSALKFJASLKFJ EVER TO DO ABOUT SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND DIABLO 3 IS NOT MMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON PEOPLE USE UR aslFJSDALKGJSALDGJLKS BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would ESPN show highlights of Rugby if it became popular in the US?   

Diablo's ARPG classification is not that far from a MMORPG. That's the point... use your fasldkgjoaeg brains!

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I love me some Phantasy Star Online :)

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

i think the poll settles it. So answer is 'YES'. :)

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

In my opinion Call of Duty or BF BC2 is as much an MMO as League of Legends or Diablo 3. And really, there is still the MMO and not just the O. You should probably be a little stricter on what games you add to the site. You really shouldn't add games that are lobby based online games.

Or if you decide to do that, you might as well add Starcraft 2 aswell =)

• Originally posted by BillMurphy

We didn't admit we're adding it... I don't know where you got that from.  In fact in today's separate article I wrote that we'll only add it if the results are significantly in favor of it, and even at 60% "Yes" I'm hesitant to add it.

If anything right now it's looking like we may add a forum for it, and preview/review it as an "outside the box" type thing but that's it.  That's where the common thinking among the staff and ownership lies right now.

If the poll takes a dramatic turn and goes HUGELY in favor of it?  Then we'll reevaluate the thing.  But right now, it seems even our community can't decide.

Thank you.

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

You added World of Tank that isn't MMORPG at all so who cares?

• nedrithnedrith Member Posts: 21

well my basic opinion:

Would it benefit the site:  in the short run, Sure, draw in a huge crowd of people.  in the long runs?  probably add constant arguments whether less popular online capable RPGs should be added, if not one then why not them all? 

Would it benefit the genre:  not really, make more people think games like diablo are MMOs, god knows I've had enough people compare Diablo to a MMO and get into constant arguments whether guild wars is a MMO.

Would it benefit the users: Probably not, there are better sites if you are looking for a online RPG, diluting the value of this site and adding in the argument of additional non-MMOs will probably not benefit the users.

Honestly the only reason I can comprehend why you would want to add Diablo 3 is because it's popular and you want to make the site more popular.  it really does benefit noone to add.  Also I think the biggest difference between global agenda and a game like diablo 3, is that global agenda does require you to fight random groups of players, and agency wars are MMORPG style pvp combat.  Plus the quest zone makes it MMO like.  

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Even though it's an action RPG with available multiplayer, a linear storyline, no open world to speak of, and no character customization, it will probably find it's way onto this site regardless.

I'm not sure if I care even though I'm going to play the game and it definitely deserves media coverage. If the staff wants to take up that job, I guess that's their choice.

I won't be one who complains.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464
    No, absolutely not.

Not unless you're going to retroactively add every other game that is played by a massive community in entirely seperated, instanced matches.

Call of Duty, Battlefield, Minecraft, Terraria, TF2, CS:S, Borderlands and more.

All of the above games are just an 'MMO' (and in the case of Minecraft/Terraria, more of one) as Diablo, and unless MMORPG.com is going to be consistant in its ruling and add *every* other game that can be interpreted as having a massive community with instanced matches and no communal hub, then do not add it.

The only reason I can see for MMORPG.com to add Diablo3 is to gain the benefit of having a portion of its player base here; but honestly, that's just going to end up like the WoW forum.

Everyone who plays Diablo3 will have to have a Battle.net account which can be used on the Battle.net forums; in which there will be infinitely more people to provide help or provide discussion on the game.

Save it for RPGuru.com, or just ignore it entirely.
  • Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Yeah! Go ahead and add it!

As the big MMO sites get fatter and fatter - adding everything and the kitchen sink - they're becoming straight up Games sites. It'll be just as hard to sort out MMO info from here as it is at IGN.

That is fine with me - if whoever is steering this ship can't see that you serve a niche audience and wants to sail out into the ocean of big video game sites - absolutely, go for it! Pretty soon someone will google something they read on MMORPG, end up reading it on IGN and noticing - hey! they have an MMO section too and wow.... it isn't chock full of F2P Korean anime crap grinders either - just AAAs..

You built your audience because you serve a niche - your core readership is here for MMORPGs. You may be packing on more 'Casual Players' by including everything with an internet connection but they're not here for MMOs anyways and have no reason to stick around By definition, they have a short attention span and like to skip from game to game/ site to site.

What you're doing is watering down your content far enough that you no longer cater to a niche. It's hard enough already to sort AAA from anime grinding crap here without you tacking on other games only because they look like they're going to be big.

I applaud the move! I've been wanting to start my own 'purist' MMO site for a while and have had conversations with a few other amature writers here and other places.

It's less competition - clear the niche! clear the niche!

I can almost hear Massively waiting for your decision with bated breath

I should add that I'll most definitely play Diablo as well as hundreds of other single player and online games throughout the year.

I don't come here to read about them though. I come here to read about Vangard, Mortal Online, Wurm, A tale in the Desert, Archeage, Xsyon, Darkfall.... immersive MMOs that are pushing the genera and have true open worlds.