Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What other classes in SW:TOR?

ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Thinking about the future, will there be more classes eventually? Races, I think so, but classes will require significant content expansion. I want to post this as a poll (which one you would want to see the most) but put in other ideas if you have them.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Comments

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

A Droid Tech would be pretty cool. Throw an AC or spec that also deal in turrets or machinery for buffs and debufss and right there you have another alt for me.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

You should make an option for "Other".

I'd really like to see a Teras Kasi fighter in the future. I know it's not super popular to make a fist fighter in a world with blasters and laser swords, but something about the concept just tickles my brain.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by ignore_me

Thinking about the future, will there be more classes eventually? Races, I think so, but classes will require significant content expansion. I want to post this as a poll (which one you would want to see the most) but put in other ideas if you have them.

I don't htink you quite understand the way SWTOR classes shape up.

An Imperial Agent already covers the playstyle of a Smuggler, so there is no point to an "Imperial Smuggler" class.  Same thing with Trooper and Bounty hunter, etc.  Classes are called different things on the two sides, but fit the same playstyle.

I doubt we'll see any additional classes anytime soon as it would require re-doing an entire 200 hours of dialogue or whatever for every class added.  BioWare kinda screwed themselves out of making this type of update financially viable.

I think we'd be more likely to see new races - afaik, there are no race-specific voices, so they wouldn't need to redo dialogue for a new race (no matter how weird you think it is that a trandoshan, human and wookie all have same voice).   

Also, I think (or maybe just hope) that eventually there would be a "betrayal" or somesuch thing that would allow each class to play on the opposite side.   Switching sides is so critical to the star wars mythos that I really think it's something bioware will look into.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I think it is a very real possibility. Sith could get a trooper class and Republic could get a spy class.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

[quote][i]Originally posted by arieste[/i] [b][quote] [i]Originally posted by ignore_me[/i] [b]Thinking about the future, will there be more classes eventually? Races, I think so, but classes will require significant content expansion. I want to post this as a poll (which one you would want to see the most) but put in other ideas if you have them. [/b] [/quote]

I don't htink you quite understand the way SWTOR classes shape up.   An Imperial Agent already covers the playstyle of a Smuggler, so there is no point to an "Imperial Smuggler" class.  Same thing with Trooper and Bounty hunter, etc.  Classes are called different things on the two sides, but fit the same playstyle.  

No, I get that, but I should have wrote in that the Republic Smuggler for instance would be a different build instead of the mirror of the Imp Spy. New classes would need to be, well New Classes, not just the same thing with a different skin. I gotta believe there is room in the game for more class models.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

[quote][i]Originally posted by arieste[/i] [b][quote] [i]Originally posted by ignore_me[/i] [b]Thinking about the future, will there be more classes eventually? Races, I think so, but classes will require significant content expansion. I want to post this as a poll (which one you would want to see the most) but put in other ideas if you have them. [/b] [/quote]

I don't htink you quite understand the way SWTOR classes shape up.   An Imperial Agent already covers the playstyle of a Smuggler, so there is no point to an "Imperial Smuggler" class.  Same thing with Trooper and Bounty hunter, etc.  Classes are called different things on the two sides, but fit the same playstyle.  

No, I get that, but I should have wrote in that the Republic Smuggler for instance would be a different build instead of the mirror of the Imp Spy. New classes would need to be, well New Classes, not just the same thing with a different skin. I gotta believe there is room in the game for more class models.

What he is trying to say is that every class on the list  is done by mirroring already. The exception being the droid tech/creature handler.

Imperial Soldier would be the bounty hunter which is a mirror of the republic trooper.

Republic Operative would be the smuggler which is the mirror of the Imperial Spy.

Republic Bounty hunter would be the trooper which is the mirror of the Imperial Bounty Hunter.

Imperial smuggler would be the agent which is the mirror of the Republic Smuggler.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Atlan99

What he is trying to say is that every class on the list  is done by mirroring already. The exception being the droid tech/creature handler.

Imperial Soldier would be the bounty hunter which is a mirror of the republic trooper.

Republic Operative would be the smuggler which is the mirror of the Imperial Spy.

Republic Bounty hunter would be the trooper which is the mirror of the Imperial Bounty Hunter.

Imperial smuggler would be the agent which is the mirror of the Republic Smuggler.

Agree with that, but in general, I think the mirroring was pretty poor in the case of a bounty hounter mirroring the republic trooper. What were they thinking here? Seems to be two very different play styles. 

I do agree that the only really "new" one that the OP has is the pet class idea. Which I do think would be really cool. I love pet classes. 

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

The Creature handler / Droid tech is more of a Swg class than swtor.

If their was going to be a "new class" it would have to have a "Mirror" of its self on the opposite side.

They have stated that they want each class to feel iconic and heroic, if any of the classes your thinking of could either fit into another class (Assasin could be a Imperial agent or even a Sith.) then its not likely to be made.

Neutral classes are not likely / will never happen.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I agree that they can not come out with just one new class, it has to be two classes due to the mirroring.  It seems to me that an Imperial Creature Handler and a Republic Droid Tech could fill the roles pretty good and with only a slight stretching of the "iconic" nature of the classes.  Personally I am not one for pet classes, but it doesn seem the only class "missing" in this game.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

I was wondering if or when someone else was thinking ahead like this?  As for what I think of it...  Well for starters I don't think Bioware screwed themselves over with the amount of effort they put into the other eight classes, though it definitely makes things a little more difficult then they would in other MMOs.  I see the rest of these forums seem to agree with me on what the expansion class should be though.  Which might just be because people don't really agree with the other selections on that poll. XP

Anyway, while I personally would like to see a Mechanic/Engineer class (perhaps a free-thinking Republic inventor versus a Imperial techie who delights in crushing dreams and ambitions under the weight of The Machine and both of them covering a defensive sort of playstyle,) I do admit it's hard to see how they can make it "epic" and give the class a storyline that stands besides tales like the Bounty Hunter's quest to get into the Great Hunt (which you know has to entail a shot at becoming THE Maladorian at some point) or the powerplays of the Sith (to say nothing about where the Republic storylines can go.)

Thinking about it as I write, I actually can see two ways how it could go.  You could play it straight and make the class hail from some backwater world and his overall quest is to modernize and develop it into a major economic power.  Or you could just throw any pretense of seriousness out the window and make his quest a search for the ultimate tool.  Yes, while other classes are fighting for freedom or the dominance of the Empire; you're fighting to own your very own Omni-Wrench 6000...

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Maj_Science

I was wondering if or when someone else was thinking ahead like this?  As for what I think of it...  Well for starters I don't think Bioware screwed themselves over with the amount of effort they put into the other eight classes, though it definitely makes things a little more difficult then they would in other MMOs.  I see the rest of these forums seem to agree with me on what the expansion class should be though.  Which might just be because people don't really agree with the other selections on that poll. XP

Anyway, while I personally would like to see a Mechanic/Engineer class (perhaps a free-thinking Republic inventor versus a Imperial techie who delights in crushing dreams and ambitions under the weight of The Machine and both of them covering a defensive sort of playstyle,) I do admit it's hard to see how they can make it "epic" and give the class a storyline that stands besides tales like the Bounty Hunter's quest to get into the Great Hunt (which you know has to entail a shot at becoming THE Maladorian at some point) or the powerplays of the Sith (to say nothing about where the Republic storylines can go.)

Thinking about it as I write, I actually can see two ways how it could go.  You could play it straight and make the class hail from some backwater world and his overall quest is to modernize and develop it into a major economic power.  Or you could just throw any pretense of seriousness out the window and make his quest a search for the ultimate tool.  Yes, while other classes are fighting for freedom or the dominance of the Empire; you're fighting to own your very own Omni-Wrench 6000...

Hell yeah the Omni-Wrench! I think the Mechanic/Engineer could work just fine. It's amazing how even a lowly astromech droid can end up in galaxy changing intrigues, so why not the class you suggested?

I will admit that some of the suggestions I made were weak, but the Imperial Soldier has merit I think. You can rise up from the barracks to the glory of becoming a Grand Moff. I should have thought more about story when I posted the class ideas, but I did put in that bit about peeps adding their own. Thanks for your post though :)

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

@ Ignore Me:  Well, others have already covered the problems with your other suggestions so no point in retreading old ground.  Anyway, the only problem I have with my own suggestion is what I already outlined; making the new class's story as epic as the others are hinted at being.  Which begs the question of how do you make an engineer epic?  Ignoring how you go about making him balanced or relevant to the other eight (who can all have skill trees that let them spec for damage AND support,) how do you make the player care about some mechanic in a grease-stained jumpsuit when he could become a general, Jedi Master, or who knows what else?

Isn't the Grand Moff supposed to be like the director of the Sith Empire's CIA or something though?  So wouldn't such an office be in the Imperial Agent's storyline?  Just my two cents