Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should We Add Diablo 3?

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

If you have League of Legends you should add D3

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

So, how are we going to be able to tell if a game is an MMO or not now?

• modanomodano Member UncommonPosts: 1

Will be great to add Diablo 3 to the game list.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Gonna write it again:

This site is called MMORPG.com so no place for games like Diablo. If you add Diablo soon others will cry for every game that has an online mode to be added, you're opening  the box off pandorra.  There are already enough non MMORPG games on this site, really no need to increase them.

Sure its up to you guys and gals but if you think about it, you also know that this site is not the right place for a game like Diablo, Torchlight, Guild Wars 1, DDO. There are already too much people from the hack n slay and FPS crowd on this site.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• foufoufunfoufoufun Member UncommonPosts: 12

There are tons of other games that are (for some reason) consider a mmo and that have less of an mmo than Diablo 1/2/3. Like most fps mmo, why can we even call these mmo, its all room based. We could even say that Call of duty is an mmo then.... So diablo as a lot more of an mmo than anything else, only thing is its room based. But at least the social/team play aspect is alot stronger than many pretended mmos

• GreyedGreyed Member UncommonPosts: 137

No, it's not massively multiplayer.

And that goes for GW, GA, TL and any other game which has less players than an average BF2142 or BFBC2 server.

This isn't about what we like.  I *like* Torchlight and played GA for a while.  But it is about what the site is about.  MMORPGs not "games that MMORPG players also like as a group."

Not just another pretty color.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Do people really believe that the site get's more users  if they do this? Off course they will not! Who would go to a MMORPG.com website to read a review about a multiplayer game? I would not do this! If I would be looking for a review about D3 I would either read a overall gaming website or look at a website focusing on RPG's and the likes.

I mean true the current user might appriciate it, but I really doubt it will attract more users unless they change the website.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

I think they should just combine MMORPG.com, FPSGuru.com, and the other sites into one big gaming site and be done with it. 

They'd have one big site for gaming and lots and lots of hits. 

• ThiamatThiamat Member UncommonPosts: 7

Even with all the new additions, Diablo 3 will remain a hack and slay adventure game for me. I wouldn't want Diablo 3 to be included on mmorpg.com.

• KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116

Diablo is a Multi-Player RPG, not an MMO, Period. The addition of an Auction house to cull "gold farming" doesn't turn this game into an MMO.   PLS don't list games like this on MMORPG.com

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

If it has a lobby area where everyone logs into, then I don't see a problem.  However, if it doesn't then there isn't even any need for discussion.

Isn't this thread pointless, since we already know you decided to add it to the list?

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

LOL   Yes, it's funny they wait until they show a commanding lead with the YES vote before they start showing the results.  This entire thread and poll should just be deleted as the staff at MMORPG.com already knew their decision.  It's turning ugly now with the "games" being played.

Power to the Sheeple

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by P2PGamer

LOL   Yes, it's funny they wait until they show a commanding lead with the YES vote before they start showing the results.  This entire thread and poll should just be deleted as the staff at MMORPG.com already knew their decision.  It's turning ugly now with the "games" being played.

Your tone suggests that you think the vote was ever "No" to begin with.  They didn't really play any games with you, they posted an innocent poll.  They were probably trying to decide what the best direction for this site was, given the direction the MMO market has gone in.  Yes, they have had games like that for a long time.  They were very few in number.  With such a large IP in the mix...it means that many many more will follow.  It was time for a rea discussion on the matter.  Before now, there was NO discussion on the matter, at least not meaningful ones that affected anything.

If I had to guess, this poll was going to shape some of the direction they take now.  They may have been conisdering what to do next...honestly the genre will be completely dead soon if they don't adapt their definition of it.  Traditional MMO's are quickly becoming a thing of the past.  While this site IS dedicated to, in part, that legacy...its also a business.  People rely on this site to be here to pay their bills.  Beyond that, others are using this site as a platform to launch their dreams and efforts into reality.  If the site fails because the trends changed and it did not, then all of those people will have nothing.

Stop being such a child and wake up to the reality of the world around you.

• swyftty2swyftty2 Member Posts: 23

diablo 3 =

mmo ( massive multi online   - tons of people all online  at one time  check )

rpg(  playing a role as a specific character in a story line   check )

true its not eveyone in same area but....  that's the deffinition not just  WoW

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Add it, the ammount content will be good for mmorpg.com.

A lot of mmorpg players will no dout be playing D3, Most of the guys who have played WoW will also

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

btw while you are at it dont forget path of exile

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Originally posted by nate1980

I voted NO.

I was just browsing the list of upcoming games for a new MMORPG to play, and clicked on a game that ended up being a MMORTS. I don't frequent this site to read up on MMORTS or games that can be played online, but aren't MMO's. I frequent this site to learn strictly about current and upcoming MMORPG's.

The more non-MMORPG's you add to the list, the more information a person like me has to wade through.

As Bill points out, though,

"We know what the “real” MMORPGs are, and by that extension we’re likely going to be changing some things on our Game List in the near future to reflect specific off-shoots (MOBA, Action-MMO, MMORTS, etc.)  This way you can sort the List as you see fit and get to the games you care about even faster."

So, hopefully, you won't have to wade through information which isn't relevant to you.

p.s.  I voted "yes"; I would like coverage of Diablo 3 here, as well as other games which may not fit strictly into the criteria a purist would demand for mmorpg.  I might argue pedantically about the definition of something which really mattered to me, but we are, after all, just talking about games.  Right?

• c4_Garudac4_Garuda Member Posts: 77

Diablo, just as a name is so huge it would be stupid not to add it. I don't care whats the cost, DO IT. Anoter reason for me to be here.

"To be a rock and not to roll..."

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by swyftty2

diablo 3 =

mmo ( massive multi online   - tons of people all online  at one time  check )

rpg(  playing a role as a specific character in a story line   check )

true its not eveyone in same area but....  that's the deffinition not just  WoW

People aren't going by just the definition of WoW, but by the hundreds of OTHER real MMORPGs.  You act as if WoW is the only real MMORPG. lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Originally posted by P2PGamer

Originally posted by Z3R01

Sure right after you add borderlands to the list.

This.

D3 is NOT an MMORPG.  Just like BF3 isn't an MMORPG.  WoT is not an MMORPG.  What they are is Pay to Win RPGs that are getting fancier and fancier chat rooms.  Yes, they are multi-player, but they are not massive at all.  This is the problem when you start adding games like Fury and Hellgate:London  and World of Tanks to the list.  It makes it harder and harder for people new to the genre to determine what is an MMORPG and what isn't.

What the staff at MMORPG.com needs to decide is if this website is going to continue to be MMORPG.com or change to MORPG.com thus dropping massively.    

It seems to me the ONLY reason  you would want to add D3 to your lineup is for the hits that you know D3 will bring you, thus driving ad revenue.  That's the bottom line and that is what this is all really about.  Everyone knows this D3 will be the game of year when it's released.  The question is, are you going to stay true to your roots at mmorpg.com or are you going to follow the ad revenue that D3 hits would bring.

QFT

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

In my opinion, it shouldn't be added since it's not an MMORPG, not really (actually, not at all). In fact, I'd advocate a couple more to be removed that have slipped unjustly through control, like LoL and Second Life.

From a commercial/business sense of view I'd say, add it as well as any other sort-of RPG with a multiplayer component, since it's bound to attract more people if you add games like that to the site. Higher hit count, more ad revenues and options, etc.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

NO, it's not an MMORPG.

• Originally posted by Gishgeron

Originally posted by P2PGamer

Your tone suggests that you think the vote was ever "No" to begin with.  They didn't really play any games with you, they posted an innocent poll.  They were probably trying to decide what the best direction for this site was, given the direction the MMO market has gone in.  Yes, they have had games like that for a long time.  They were very few in number.  With such a large IP in the mix...it means that many many more will follow.  It was time for a rea discussion on the matter.  Before now, there was NO discussion on the matter, at least not meaningful ones that affected anything.

If I had to guess, this poll was going to shape some of the direction they take now.  They may have been conisdering what to do next...honestly the genre will be completely dead soon if they don't adapt their definition of it.  Traditional MMO's are quickly becoming a thing of the past.  While this site IS dedicated to, in part, that legacy...its also a business.  People rely on this site to be here to pay their bills.  Beyond that, others are using this site as a platform to launch their dreams and efforts into reality.  If the site fails because the trends changed and it did not, then all of those people will have nothing.

Stop being such a child and wake up to the reality of the world around you.

It's rather sad you have to resort to petty insults. Stop being such a child? Really? Since everything you said was nothing more than your opinion, here's mine. It seems to me that you're the one mostly displaying how naive you are in this debate.

• altairraltairr Member UncommonPosts: 81

I think you can surely add Diablo III to the list.

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

Are you going to add Torchlight 2 then? And every other action rpg that comes out? If not.. don't add diablo 3 just beceause you think it will bring people in here.. But you will add it anyways out of greed...

we don't come here to read about action rpgs or free to play mmo either... I come here to read about and discuss triple A western MMO's. All this other shit is just in the way..