Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should We Add Diablo 3?

Comments

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Ceridith

No.

It features no persistent world aspect, and the game world is heavily instanced and segregated between players with no common area, so it's not an MMO.

If Diablo 3 is to be considered a MMO, then so should Farmville.

Seems to be a moot point for those who operate this site.

Originally posted by SBFord

As a reminder, we at MMORPG.com are working actively to ensure that a wide variety of games that have ties to traditional MMORPGs are covered here on the site if nowhere else than our Games List. Our scope is widening to cover MOBAs, MMORTS, MMOFPS, traditional RPGs, action-RPGs and more that have even what some would call 'cursory' connections to MMORPGs. Our plan is to make the Games List "sortable" by genre similar to those listed above.

hehe. That's what I thought when I read that quote from Ford. Sounds like they already made up their mind...

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• yevgeniiyevgenii Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I read it, found it to be irrelevant and poorly thought out so skipped it. 

Sorry, Diablo has always been more akin to Zelda rather than something like FF. Zelda was a quasi RPG and is considered a dungeon crawler rather than an actual RPG. And no technically Dungeon Crawler isn't a sub genre but for those games that don't fully fit into action or rpg and focus mainly on dungeons it is typically the term used. 

For the past 15 years everyone I've known or talked to about the Diablo series has always reffered to it as a Dungeon Crawler, same as Zelda. This was both online and off lol. I mean sure you can disagree, but it's not like it will change my point of view after 16 years lol. 

How is it irrelevant? What makes an RPG then? Aren't all RPG's really action games?

Your opinion is, i'm sorry, but wrong. Those 3 characteristics (loot collection, character progression, playing a role) are the ONLY things that separate RPG's from anything else. It isn't opinion, its simply fact.

Also, saying that because the "people you've talked to" said a certain thing is so, doesn't make it so. That's a logical fallacy, if you base your opinions on that then I'm really sorry for you.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Nibs

Originally posted by lizardbones

Massive - pretty sure it will be

Multiplayer - check

Online - check

RPG - check

It should be added.

That 1st 'M' is for 'massively', not 'massive'.

The 1st and 2nd 'M's should be taken taken together for 'Massively Multiplayer', meaning multiplayer on a massive scale, rather than only 32 people top a server.

On those grounds, I don't think D3 should be included.

It will still fit "Massively Multiplayer" as in 3 Million people playing the game online.

If you are going to look at it like that, how many people play Call of Duty online?  Ya, that's right.  Let's keep it simple and not try to redefine what is already obvious.  Massively Multiplayer means that you can host a massive amount of people on one realm or server at one time, this has nothing to do with how many people are playing the game all together.  If you want to look at it like that, you'll have to include every single multiplayer game in the world, as almost all of them host 8 - 32 players at a time on individual servers multiplied by the number of servers per game = a massive number of people playing that game online.  Don't waste your brain matter thinking too far into something that's so simple to understand.

This website is dedicated to MMORPGs, if they want to start sponsering every multiplayer game out there, then they should change the webdomain to www.mo.com (multiplayer online); because, not every multiplayer game is an RPG and not every mutiplayer game is massively multiplayer.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by DrSpanky

No.

It features no persistent world aspect, and the game world is heavily instanced and segregated between players with no common area, so it's not an MMO.

As a reminder, we at MMORPG.com are working actively to ensure that a wide variety of games that have ties to traditional MMORPGs are covered here on the site if nowhere else than our Games List. Our scope is widening to cover MOBAs, MMORTS, MMOFPS, traditional RPGs, action-RPGs and more that have even what some would call 'cursory' connections to MMORPGs. Our plan is to make the Games List "sortable" by genre similar to those listed above.

hehe. That's what I thought when I read that quote from Ford. Sounds like they already made up their mind...

Exactly.   Why put it up for a vote when it's obvious the decision was already made.

Power to the Sheeple

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by yevgenii

Sorry, Diablo has always been more akin to Zelda rather than something like FF. Zelda was a quasi RPG and is considered a dungeon crawler rather than an actual RPG. And no technically Dungeon Crawler isn't a sub genre but for those games that don't fully fit into action or rpg and focus mainly on dungeons it is typically the term used. 

For the past 15 years everyone I've known or talked to about the Diablo series has always reffered to it as a Dungeon Crawler, same as Zelda. This was both online and off lol. I mean sure you can disagree, but it's not like it will change my point of view after 16 years lol. 

How is it irrelevant? What makes an RPG then? Aren't all RPG's really action games?

Your opinion is, i'm sorry, but wrong. Those 3 characteristics (loot collection, character progression, playing a role) are the ONLY things that separate RPG's from anything else. It isn't opinion, its simply fact.

Also, saying that because the "people you've talked to" said a certain thing is so, doesn't make it so. That's a logical fallacy, if you base your opinions on that then I'm really sorry for you.

You don't have to agree with me, as you can see I don't agree with you. And feel sorry for me all you want, I actually feel sorry for you as it seems what I think matters more to you than what you think matters to me. 

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by P2PGamer

Originally posted by DrSpanky

No.

Exactly.   Why put it up for a vote when it's obvious the decision was already made.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind as well, I guess they've learned more than one thing from MMO devs over the years, lol. Use these things to gauge reaction, as well as a poll only they can see the results of, so they can say the people have spoken and they said yes.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

Add it. I'm interested in it, and would like to read about it on this site.

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• ZandalfDJsZandalfDJs Member Posts: 16
    No do not add it.
  • clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Yes, Diablo 3 is going to be massive, and a lot more players will be playing it then most of the so called massive barren mmos listed here.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by yevgenii

You don't have to agree with me, as you can see I don't agree with you. And feel sorry for me all you want, I actually feel sorry for you as it seems what I think matters more to you than what you think matters to me. 

Seriously, stop going against the industry, they say its an RPG, there is no ARPG there is no Dungeon Crawler, its a freakin RPG. Ya freakin little ants keep squirming around with your opinions when its already FACT that it is an RPG.  I don't understand how anyone can argue otherwise. You can describe it anyway you want, it is what it is.

Sorry, I was around when the terms were first ushered in. I know what they mean lol. Marketing has tried to distort things as much as they can so they can bank off of different brandings and titles. You new gamers can call things what you like. Diablo isn't an MMO, it isn't an RPG. Deal with it, but go ahead and call it what you like lol. I mean if the definition of gay can go from happy, to homosecual, to stupid or lame then I guess it doesn't really matter. People will just use a term however they see fit anyways. 

The FACT is that it isn't an RPG, but you youngins have at it lol. Can't be bothered to learn the definition word no worries, just make one up. Can't think of an appropriate word, don't bother expanding your vocabulary just use one semi close lol. 

In any case, like I've said before I'm to old to change and using a term and it meaning one thing for decades means your opinion of what it should mean isn't going to change anything. You might as well be screaming at a brick wall. 

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I don't see why not really.

It's obvious the lines between what makes an MMO an MMO and what doesn't has been blurred these days, have been for quite some time, also as others have mentioned there are already other games listed that sort of fall under the same "not sure if MMO" catagory as D3 would, and besides you all know damn well it's forums section will get used.

I've said it before, but some people take the term MMO far too litteral, the industry basically just see's them all as online only games now.

• sayuri2006sayuri2006 Member Posts: 161

I would definitely say to add it to the gamelist, even on the premise that it will be a much talked about game in the future and there is not another better place to advertise this game (extra revenue source). Like someone else said, it has all the features of an existing MMORPG, it is upto the player to roleplay and it is not like the whole concept of roleplaying is perceptual anyhow. So yes, the roleplaying can exist, it will include the ability for people to group together, the gamebase and economy will be massive and yes it will be online. If you are really worried about the distinction of an MMORPG, could you say Guild Wars is any different with it's open hub -> instanced areas? Besides, other MMORPGs now are becoming more action based with faster combat mechanics (Dragon Nest, TERA), and Diablo 3 will include character customization and development, not unlike existing MMORPGs. As in the famous phrase: "Resistance is futile."

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I whould say no because the game has a single-player campaign, it's not really a mmo, so I don't see a reason why to add it as a mmo. I know a few reasons why because of the auction house, the normal players that play in multiplayer, and the online-always DRM method. Not to mention to total elimination of mods and cheats. However I still think Diablo 3 is still a single-player game w/multiplayer.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Yas and No.  Leaning towards no.

Yes because it's going to be the biggest game to release since... I don't know, Diablo 2 =P 

No, because it's not a MMO.  If you're going to add diablo, then you have to add Call of Duty.  It's the same concept, players online playing with each other.  Both are not massive.  Both have a single player.  And with both, the multiplayer aspect is the biggest draw.  I guess the only real differences is player interaction such as trading.  This you cannot do in an arena deathmatch game.

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

As Boltonsquad stated:

Of course it should be added, maybe it's not an MMO as such but its an RPG and many player will be investing in it and it would be nice to have a discussion on it here.

I voted no. If that's the goal, then change the site name to onlinegaming.com or whatever domain name equivalent is still available.

So long as the site name still implies massively multiplayer online roleplaying games, Diablo doesn't belong (nor do some others, as has already been pointed out). You want to add online RTS and FPS, go full bore: add Halo, CoD - fill your boots. But don't call the site mmorpg.com - those games - which I enjoy myself from time to time - are not RPGs, never were, and never will be.

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

add it...

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

You will almost have to add Borderlands if you add D3 IMHO.

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

whats next then adding ps3/xbox/wii games as well since they have online co op and voice chat just sad that in last 4 months the sites gone in the craper.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

It's the long debated question. I think you have to add it.

I remember when Guild Wars first game out and I realized that basically it was a completely instanced game which really doesn't make it much different from Diablo 3. I assume Diablo 3 is going to have lobbies where you set the game that you want to start and then you enter the game.

Much like Guild Wars has "general" areas but then you basically went into instanced areas for the combat where only you and your party could enter. So, why would Guild Wars get onto this site and not Diablo 3?

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Add Darkspore, League of Legends and HoN and then sure...

Diablo 3 is one of a wave of games that are blending small group co-op play and MMO persistency into a package that falls somewhere between both.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Aori

Sorry, I was around when the terms were first ushered in. I know what they mean lol. Marketing has tried to distort things as much as they can so they can bank off of different brandings and titles. You new gamers can call things what you like. Diablo isn't an MMO, it isn't an RPG. Deal with it, but go ahead and call it what you like lol. I mean if the definition of gay can go from happy, to homosecual, to stupid or lame then I guess it doesn't really matter. People will just use a term however they see fit anyways. 

The FACT is that it isn't an RPG, but you youngins have at it lol. Can't be bothered to learn the definition word no worries, just make one up. Can't think of an appropriate word, don't bother expanding your vocabulary just use one semi close lol. 

In any case, like I've said before I'm to old to change and using a term and it meaning one thing for decades means your opinion of what it should mean isn't going to change anything. You might as well be screaming at a brick wall. 

Ok i started RPGs in the 90s, then an RPG was defined as character development within a ruleset. How far back we going for this old ancient RPG definition? I mean how is it you are right when the creators are wrong? the reviewers are wrong? the players are wrong? the definition is wrong? If you can give me a reason why you are right other than.. im old and your young and in 1932 i coined the term RPG. Once you can give some kind of insight other than im right you're wrong, i may listen.

Because RPG stands for Role Playing Game where you Role play you know, take a role and play it out.

and MMO stands for Massively Multi Player

Diablo 3 is neither of these things and yet with the Genre blending thats going on, this is its nearest fit.   You cant invent a genre for every new game that comes out so.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Might as well add Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, too. I mean, it has multiplayer and it's "always-on."

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Kothoses

Because RPG stands for Role Playing Game where you Role play you know, take a role and play it out.

and MMO stands for Massively Multi Player

Diablo 3 is neither of these things and yet with the Genre blending thats going on, this is its nearest fit.   You cant invent a genre for every new game that comes out so.

In d2 you tok on the role as a paladin or other characters to hunt down demonic kings and save the world from beeing taken over.

What more do you want :P

• emolithemolith Member Posts: 29

Diablo 3 has matchmaking pvp.

matchmaking groups for dungeons.

ONLINE ONLINE - it wont work offline AT ALL.

Global Auction house, / real money auction (sounds like a cash shop to me.)

It's more of an mmorg than half the games already listed, and ofcourse you will list it, it will increase site traffic and revenues. It wont matter what anybody writes here.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

If you want to add more games to mmorpg.com that's for you guys to decide. But if you're going to do it then better to create seperate sections for MMORPG, MMORTS, MMOFPS, MOBA, CORPG and what not. You can add as much as you want, but you shouldn't be chucking it all in one group. It's an opportunity to clean house a bit because this list of games on mmorpg can be somewhat confusing. Maybe other classifications are possible as well.

Either draw the line somewhere, or make seperate lists.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...