Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General: Should We Add Diablo 3?

Comments

• darkedone02darkedone02 Louisville, KYPosts: 552Member

I whould say no because the game has a single-player campaign, it's not really a mmo, so I don't see a reason why to add it as a mmo. I know a few reasons why because of the auction house, the normal players that play in multiplayer, and the online-always DRM method. Not to mention to total elimination of mods and cheats. However I still think Diablo 3 is still a single-player game w/multiplayer.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member

Yas and No.  Leaning towards no.

Yes because it's going to be the biggest game to release since... I don't know, Diablo 2 =P 

No, because it's not a MMO.  If you're going to add diablo, then you have to add Call of Duty.  It's the same concept, players online playing with each other.  Both are not massive.  Both have a single player.  And with both, the multiplayer aspect is the biggest draw.  I guess the only real differences is player interaction such as trading.  This you cannot do in an arena deathmatch game.

• NifaNifa Oklahoma City, OKPosts: 324Member

Originally posted by SBFord

As a reminder, we at MMORPG.com are working actively to ensure that a wide variety of games that have ties to traditional MMORPGs are covered here on the site if nowhere else than our Games List. Our scope is widening to cover MOBAs, MMORTS, MMOFPS, traditional RPGs, action-RPGs and more that have even what some would call 'cursory' connections to MMORPGs. Our plan is to make the Games List "sortable" by genre similar to those listed above.

As Boltonsquad stated:

Of course it should be added, maybe it's not an MMO as such but its an RPG and many player will be investing in it and it would be nice to have a discussion on it here.

I voted no. If that's the goal, then change the site name to onlinegaming.com or whatever domain name equivalent is still available.

So long as the site name still implies massively multiplayer online roleplaying games, Diablo doesn't belong (nor do some others, as has already been pointed out). You want to add online RTS and FPS, go full bore: add Halo, CoD - fill your boots. But don't call the site mmorpg.com - those games - which I enjoy myself from time to time - are not RPGs, never were, and never will be.

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• marganculosmarganculos BrnoPosts: 190Member Uncommon

add it...

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

Sorry, I was around when the terms were first ushered in. I know what they mean lol. Marketing has tried to distort things as much as they can so they can bank off of different brandings and titles. You new gamers can call things what you like. Diablo isn't an MMO, it isn't an RPG. Deal with it, but go ahead and call it what you like lol. I mean if the definition of gay can go from happy, to homosecual, to stupid or lame then I guess it doesn't really matter. People will just use a term however they see fit anyways. 

The FACT is that it isn't an RPG, but you youngins have at it lol. Can't be bothered to learn the definition word no worries, just make one up. Can't think of an appropriate word, don't bother expanding your vocabulary just use one semi close lol. 

In any case, like I've said before I'm to old to change and using a term and it meaning one thing for decades means your opinion of what it should mean isn't going to change anything. You might as well be screaming at a brick wall. 

Ok i started RPGs in the 90s, then an RPG was defined as character development within a ruleset. How far back we going for this old ancient RPG definition? I mean how is it you are right when the creators are wrong? the reviewers are wrong? the players are wrong? the definition is wrong? If you can give me a reason why you are right other than.. im old and your young and in 1932 i coined the term RPG. Once you can give some kind of insight other than im right you're wrong, i may listen.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Adelaide, AKPosts: 953Member

You will almost have to add Borderlands if you add D3 IMHO.

• banshe13banshe13 aurora, ILPosts: 200Member

whats next then adding ps3/xbox/wii games as well since they have online co op and voice chat just sad that in last 4 months the sites gone in the craper.

• JakardJakard 98390, WAPosts: 415Member

It's the long debated question. I think you have to add it.

I remember when Guild Wars first game out and I realized that basically it was a completely instanced game which really doesn't make it much different from Diablo 3. I assume Diablo 3 is going to have lobbies where you set the game that you want to start and then you enter the game.

Much like Guild Wars has "general" areas but then you basically went into instanced areas for the combat where only you and your party could enter. So, why would Guild Wars get onto this site and not Diablo 3?

• KothosesKothoses GalwayPosts: 760Member Uncommon

Add Darkspore, League of Legends and HoN and then sure...

Diablo 3 is one of a wave of games that are blending small group co-op play and MMO persistency into a package that falls somewhere between both.

Promoting thought a new Gaming video blog http://www.youtube.com/user/quinnthalas discussing games, gamers and the internet with gameplay footage as background.

• KothosesKothoses GalwayPosts: 760Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Aori

Sorry, I was around when the terms were first ushered in. I know what they mean lol. Marketing has tried to distort things as much as they can so they can bank off of different brandings and titles. You new gamers can call things what you like. Diablo isn't an MMO, it isn't an RPG. Deal with it, but go ahead and call it what you like lol. I mean if the definition of gay can go from happy, to homosecual, to stupid or lame then I guess it doesn't really matter. People will just use a term however they see fit anyways. 

The FACT is that it isn't an RPG, but you youngins have at it lol. Can't be bothered to learn the definition word no worries, just make one up. Can't think of an appropriate word, don't bother expanding your vocabulary just use one semi close lol. 

In any case, like I've said before I'm to old to change and using a term and it meaning one thing for decades means your opinion of what it should mean isn't going to change anything. You might as well be screaming at a brick wall. 

Ok i started RPGs in the 90s, then an RPG was defined as character development within a ruleset. How far back we going for this old ancient RPG definition? I mean how is it you are right when the creators are wrong? the reviewers are wrong? the players are wrong? the definition is wrong? If you can give me a reason why you are right other than.. im old and your young and in 1932 i coined the term RPG. Once you can give some kind of insight other than im right you're wrong, i may listen.

Because RPG stands for Role Playing Game where you Role play you know, take a role and play it out.

and MMO stands for Massively Multi Player

Diablo 3 is neither of these things and yet with the Genre blending thats going on, this is its nearest fit.   You cant invent a genre for every new game that comes out so.

Promoting thought a new Gaming video blog http://www.youtube.com/user/quinnthalas discussing games, gamers and the internet with gameplay footage as background.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou St. Bernard, LAPosts: 1,444Member

Might as well add Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, too. I mean, it has multiplayer and it's "always-on."

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• ravtecravtec HolmestrandPosts: 214Member

Originally posted by Kothoses

Because RPG stands for Role Playing Game where you Role play you know, take a role and play it out.

and MMO stands for Massively Multi Player

Diablo 3 is neither of these things and yet with the Genre blending thats going on, this is its nearest fit.   You cant invent a genre for every new game that comes out so.

In d2 you tok on the role as a paladin or other characters to hunt down demonic kings and save the world from beeing taken over.

What more do you want :P

• emolithemolith tiverton, devonPosts: 29Member

Diablo 3 has matchmaking pvp.

matchmaking groups for dungeons.

ONLINE ONLINE - it wont work offline AT ALL.

Global Auction house, / real money auction (sounds like a cash shop to me.)

It's more of an mmorg than half the games already listed, and ofcourse you will list it, it will increase site traffic and revenues. It wont matter what anybody writes here.

• YarunaYaruna BrusselsPosts: 342Member

If you want to add more games to mmorpg.com that's for you guys to decide. But if you're going to do it then better to create seperate sections for MMORPG, MMORTS, MMOFPS, MOBA, CORPG and what not. You can add as much as you want, but you shouldn't be chucking it all in one group. It's an opportunity to clean house a bit because this list of games on mmorpg can be somewhat confusing. Maybe other classifications are possible as well.

Either draw the line somewhere, or make seperate lists.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,928Member Uncommon

If you have League of Legends you should add D3

• WhySoShortWhySoShort KunmingPosts: 315Member

So, how are we going to be able to tell if a game is an MMO or not now?

• modanomodano SofiaPosts: 1Member

Will be great to add Diablo 3 to the game list.

• DerWotanDerWotan NorrathPosts: 1,012Member

Gonna write it again:

This site is called MMORPG.com so no place for games like Diablo. If you add Diablo soon others will cry for every game that has an online mode to be added, you're opening  the box off pandorra.  There are already enough non MMORPG games on this site, really no need to increase them.

Sure its up to you guys and gals but if you think about it, you also know that this site is not the right place for a game like Diablo, Torchlight, Guild Wars 1, DDO. There are already too much people from the hack n slay and FPS crowd on this site.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• foufoufunfoufoufun Gatineau, QCPosts: 8Member

There are tons of other games that are (for some reason) consider a mmo and that have less of an mmo than Diablo 1/2/3. Like most fps mmo, why can we even call these mmo, its all room based. We could even say that Call of duty is an mmo then.... So diablo as a lot more of an mmo than anything else, only thing is its room based. But at least the social/team play aspect is alot stronger than many pretended mmos

• GreyedGreyed Sin City, NVPosts: 128Member

No, it's not massively multiplayer.

And that goes for GW, GA, TL and any other game which has less players than an average BF2142 or BFBC2 server.

This isn't about what we like.  I *like* Torchlight and played GA for a while.  But it is about what the site is about.  MMORPGs not "games that MMORPG players also like as a group."

Not just another pretty color.

• ComanComan Hattem, AKPosts: 2,034Member Uncommon

Do people really believe that the site get's more users  if they do this? Off course they will not! Who would go to a MMORPG.com website to read a review about a multiplayer game? I would not do this! If I would be looking for a review about D3 I would either read a overall gaming website or look at a website focusing on RPG's and the likes.

I mean true the current user might appriciate it, but I really doubt it will attract more users unless they change the website.

• KryogenicKryogenic Pensacola, FLPosts: 663Member

I think they should just combine MMORPG.com, FPSGuru.com, and the other sites into one big gaming site and be done with it. 

They'd have one big site for gaming and lots and lots of hits. 

• ThiamatThiamat BochumPosts: 6Member

Even with all the new additions, Diablo 3 will remain a hack and slay adventure game for me. I wouldn't want Diablo 3 to be included on mmorpg.com.

• KamofilaKamofila San Diego, CAPosts: 112Member

Diablo is a Multi-Player RPG, not an MMO, Period. The addition of an Auction house to cull "gold farming" doesn't turn this game into an MMO.   PLS don't list games like this on MMORPG.com

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,214Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Kryogenic

I think they should just combine MMORPG.com, FPSGuru.com, and the other sites into one big gaming site and be done with it. 

They'd have one big site for gaming and lots and lots of hits. 

This is exactly it!  I'm a gamer.  I want to read about games.  This is why other gaming sites that cover all genres are so successful.  You visit one place to talk about gaming.  This is my favorite gaming site and would love to see more gaming talk here.