Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR & GW2 kill RIFT?

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

This had might as well be one of the 'WoW is doomed, is killed, is collapsing, is....'  Why are people so concerned about this type of thing.  I hope that it doesn't 'kill' WoW or Rift.  If only to keep sticking it in the face for these people

I self identify as a monkey.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Is it a good thing that people are thinking about killing Rift instead of WoW? Doesn't seem all that refreshing to me.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

With every new released MMO, many MMORPG's will always suffer a slight dropout of players. What remains to be seen is how both the new games can hold those new players.

Only game that I can say with certainty that is going to be "killed" by SW:ToR is SWG.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Mannish

Yes, they will. Rift has always been nonthing more then a filler mmo till the big boys come out. LMAO

The big boys are about to have to play catch up with Rift. Built in fraps, single/duo instances, dev speed that blows other MMO's out of  water and free transfers.  Try and keep up Bioware we all know they will have that cash shop up and running from day 1.

The big boys will surpass Rift on day 1 of their release. Rift does not do anything that has not been done before. That game will be a ghost town when Star Wars and Guild Wars 2 come out.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

rift is dead already.
    actually it was a stillbirth...

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I wouldn't just put it down to GW2 and SWTOR, but D3 as well. SWTOR will appeal to solo players that enjoy storylines while D3 will get the action soloers. GW2 will appeal to PvPers as well as some of the lore/story types (as well as explorers, TBH).

Between these three games they all do every aspect within the MMORPG genre better than Rift- Rift doesn't even improve on WoW it's just different enough for those burned out on WoW to play the same game with a new coat of paint. Right now Rift does one thing fairly well and that is cater to raiders, 10 man and moreso 20 man. How well Rift fares following the release of GW2 and SWTOR depends entirely on what endgame content the latter two provide for groups larger than five players.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Cut out the baiting guys.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by CasaFranky

rift is dead already.

actually it was a stillbirth...

60 some servers = dead?image

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

No need to wait for other games to kill Rift. Rift is doing that on its own.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I've given this topic some thought after posting it this morning.

I really don't see RIFT being affected that much. 

Trion simply releases content too quickly and that will always make old rift players return to check out the new stuff.

I recently came back for 1.4 and once i leave ill return again for 1.5 and so on.

I also think SWTOR will do wonderfully, Bioware usually makes good games and this thing is going to sell millions in box sales. As for the games retention who knows, if its similar to RIFTs it would be a success in my opinion.

That leaves me with GW2, Well the thing doesnt have a sub but im sure it will sell a ton of boxes but honestly i cant see it being everyones main mmo. MMORPGers are a funny bunch there are quite a few of them that simply lose interest in a game if they arent constantly paying a sub fee.

I dont understand it, but thats how most roll. So i think GW2 will officially be the majority's second mmo of choice.

Maybe im being to positive but i cant see RIFT dying out or any of the two big up and coming games going up in flames either.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• armengararmengar Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by Sigilaea

No need to wait for other games to kill Rift. Rift is doing that on its own.

I agree with the above statement, all they have released so far is some drawn out(way too long) events and raids, Groups are still left with the same old ive ran 100 times instances w/ nothing new to date, my understanding is new stuff and 3 man/solo stuff is coming up, but too late for this guy, should have stuck it in before the 1.4 stuff imo.  I might come back and check these out, if they come out before swtor.

• JferriellJferriell Member Posts: 2

I don't really think it will die per-say.  Will it loose population? most definantly.  But you have to compare those two big games to what rift is.  GW2 is a heavy instanced game that some people may not like.  And Star Wars is a sc-fi game.  Most of us have never even played either of those two games.  

I personally will play rift until Star Wars comes out and yes I will try Star Wars.  Will I like it?  I don't yet...I just can't see myself getting into a sci-fi mmo.  But it is Bioware and that alone is the only reason I will try it.  I won't even try GW2 cause I never liked the first one and I'm not the biggest fan of Instancing (I grew up on EQ and I preffer those kinds of dungeons).   

I believe WoW will be hit the biggest but knowing Blizzard they will take the good out of both those games and put it into there supposed new MMO and lure back its players.

Back to Rift.  One has only to look as far back as Vanguard.  Rift is a much more polished game and if it does loose players I think it will see a small growth as players come back after the shine has wore off.  Trion is an amazing team and if they get there act together and put a little more focus on there Rifts and TRULY add planar raids then I think it will have a nice long future.  Rift to me is a much better game than EQ2 and that game still has enuff players to keep a Dev team on.

Thats my two cents.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Jferriell

I don't really think it will die per-say.  Will it loose population? most definantly.  But you have to compare those two big games to what rift is.  GW2 is a heavy instanced game that some people may not like.  And Star Wars is a sc-fi game.  Most of us have never even played either of those two games.  

I personally will play rift until Star Wars comes out and yes I will try Star Wars.  Will I like it?  I don't yet...I just can't see myself getting into a sci-fi mmo.  But it is Bioware and that alone is the only reason I will try it.  I won't even try GW2 cause I never liked the first one and I'm not the biggest fan of Instancing (I grew up on EQ and I preffer those kinds of dungeons).   

I believe WoW will be hit the biggest but knowing Blizzard they will take the good out of both those games and put it into there supposed new MMO and lure back its players.

Back to Rift.  One has only to look as far back as Vanguard.  Rift is a much more polished game and if it does loose players I think it will see a small growth as players come back after the shine has wore off.  Trion is an amazing team and if they get there act together and put a little more focus on there Rifts and TRULY add planar raids then I think it will have a nice long future.  Rift to me is a much better game than EQ2 and that game still has enuff players to keep a Dev team on.

Thats my two cents.

One of your two cents is a fake. Please go read up on GW2 before claiming it is anything like its predecessor.

This is not a game.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Jferriell

Thats my two cents.

One of your two cents is a fake. Please go read up on GW2 before claiming it is anything like its predecessor.

Guild wars 2 Personal story arc will be completely instanced just like guild wars 1. you can bring friends into your story arc but noone else playing the game will share that area of the game.

So he is correct somewhat.

What he didnt mention is that our characters personal story is only a small part of GW2. we will have a persistent world shared with thousands of players taking part in massive dynamic events and full pvp zones which will house WvWvW pvp.

so its basically a mix between GW1 and a persistent mmorpg. 

THis is a little insert from a blog. with a quote from the developer of GW2.

While there will be instancing in GW2 it will be reserved for dungeons and also for what World of Warcraft fans would call phasing. Lead Designer Eric Flannum explains, “Dungeons, for example, are instanced areas designed for group play. We also use instancing very heavily in the players’ personal quest chain to reflect decisions that the player has made on those quests.” Flannum also explains that GW2 will be set up more like a traditional MMO where the world is full of players and has a persistent nature, “The game is structured much more like other MMOs, with the world consisting almost entirely of fully persistent areas.”

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• korndog22korndog22 Member Posts: 62

I persenolly don't think the population will change much at all.They have peaked for now and have settled in at a very healthy population.I play on a medium populated server and , it is pretty booming.It seems that there are actually more people playing recently.I am one that doesn't really care for Starwars at all.Just doesn't sound like it will be fun for me.I do however look forward to GW2 and will play it when it comes out.I however will not cancel my Rift Sub because of that.

Also as a side note.Rift is extremely competent at bringing new content and events at a blazing pace.The recently added open world PvP raid rifts are very cool.And with the speed that they spit out patches and updates , I would expect that there 1st expansion will be absolutely Huge.The staff at Rift seems to know what they are doing.And I am pretty confident that they won't go down without a fight.

P.S.  So everyone knows I don't Hate Star Wars or anything.I am actually a fan of the movies.The game itself just seems over hyped.Bioware is definately a great video game developer.But that doesn't mean every game they make will be great.And Star Wars TOR seems rather bland by text.But it will surely have a spot in many MMORPG players and Star Wars fans hearts.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Will their releases kill Rift? no...

Believe it or not,TOR and GW2 wont be some peoples cup of tea,some people will probably enjoy playing Rift more than those 2.

*gasp* 

I know,its hard to fathom,but its probably true.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

1)  I think most mmorpg players now maintain accounts with more than one game even if it is just off and on.  So you'll have people bouncing back and forth from Swtor and Rift assuming that they like both.  There is also every chance that Swtor may not be what people want.

2)  I think WoW will be impacted more than any other game.  I think Swtor's greatest achievement may be breaking the spell WoW has on some players.  Once those players try the game some will find they don't like it but then may be inclined to finally try something new.  Add to this that Blizzard will likely be emphasing their new mmorpg more in the coming year, which may turn some WoW players to other games due to a perchieved in the WoW development cycle (slow down as devs concentrate on new game).   That leaves a lot of players up for grapbs.  With the millions of mmorpg players around the world I think all current existing AAA titles will be able to maintain sufficient subs/micro-transactions to remain profitable.

3)  Guild Wars 2 isn't a factor.  B2p games don't require gamers to give up their subscription game.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Has an MMO "killed" another MMO? No. If an MMO failed it was because there were major issues with the MMO itself in the first place... or it's time has come. An MMO fail has always been because of, and only because of the, developers themselves.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Hopefully not!  Rift is a decently polished game (kind of rare these days) with a responsive dev team (also rare these days).  While GW2 would technically be in the same 'bracket', it's buy to play - so really shouldn't impact subs that much.  SWTOR?  It depends on how much crossover.  Reading the ToR forums, it's looking a lot like WoW, with a lot of people who have never touched an MMO before piping in.  THat's a good thing, since if it can draw yet more MMO 'newbies' in - that just means more people for other MMO's to advertise too!

• TbagginzTbagginz Member Posts: 15

At first glance Rift Felt like a rehash of other games..I did not really care for it , but as i stuck with it the game i have to admit is really fun to play. 

I do plan on buying SWTOR , but i can say will defenetly not play WOW ever again. Rift is my new mmorpg home.

On a personal i dont feel SWTOR or GW2 will effect Rift as much it will effect WoW. Rift will be fine..

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Some people will inevitably leave to try them but I think RIFTs found its niche really and given GW2 is buy to play people can play both without any extra monthly expence . Its more likly that Warcraft will suffer from loses very large numbers of  subs to SWTOR .

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

As long as the developers keep doing what theyre doing, Rift will be fine.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Rift being a generally boring and easy game will kill Rift. GW2 and SWTOR don't have anything to do with it.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Has one MMO ever killed another MMO? I could be completely wrong, but I'm going to say no. Will TOR, GW2, Tera, TSW, AA, etc. take subs from Rift? Absolutely. That's just how it goes. When I was playing themeparks I was a wandering vagabond.

Play WoW for a few months.

OMG WARHAMMER!

Meh, back to WoW for a few months.

OMG AION LOOKS SO GOOD!

Meh, back to WoW for a few months.

etc.

That changed a bit when Rift came out because Rift is actually a good game that had content and polish at release. If any of these new titles launch with content, polish, and familiarity then people will inevitably stop playing Rift to play the "next big thing." I think Rift fills the, "so tired of WoW" role very well, but the problem is that it's so familiar that the "so tired of WoW" folks will soon become the "so tired of Rift" crowd. Of the players I've spoken with, which is admitedly a small portion, they seem to be sick of the AAA MMO paradigm, and not so much sick of a particular game. They want something with new ideas, but they also want it to be familiar. They're willing to try anything new that comes out in the hopes that it will be better than what they are currently playing. 

Rift is a solid game, but people are going to leave to try something new and shiny. If the shiny new game is polished and content-rich then chances are they'll play that until another huge release rolls around for them to try out. Will Rift die? No, but they will lose subs. The problem is there's several new and shinies coming out with enormous amounts of hype. If they live up to even a modicum of it, then Rift (all current themeparks imo) will lose a significant amount of players.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Ryzom still lives, And it has the lowest population known to man..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development