Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Potential for 3 Million Sales

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to an analyst report from The Cowan Group, Star Wars: The Old Republic could sell as many as three million copies when it is released later this year. The analysis compares SWTOR to World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2, each of which sold over four million copies worldwide.

Doug Creutz and Jason Mueller of Cowen and Company noted that strong preorders of the title on Amazon suggest that The Old Republic is trending "well or better" than StarCraft 2 and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, both of which sold over 4 million units each.

The analyst revealed that it now estimates The Old Republic will sell roughly 3 million units in its first year, up from its original estimate of 1.5 million units. It also believes that the game will see around 2 million subscribers in total during the first year of sale, up from an earlier estimate of 1 million.

Source: Gamasutra.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

They already have my money.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by poefue

They already have my money.

Mine too. Bioware deserves all the succes and i hope they have a cracking sales with SWTOR.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Quite possible, but I'm not sure about those subscriber estimates, remains to be seen how much staying power the title will have, or will it follow the trend with a sharp fall off that most MMO titles experience?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112

they got my 150

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Kyleran

Quite possible, but I'm not sure about those subscriber estimates, remains to be seen how much staying power the title will have, or will it follow the trend with a sharp fall off that most MMO titles experience?

Very true.  I think MMORPG.com wrote how even WAR turned a profit on box sales, but obviously subscriber numbers fell off after a few months.

Like many other people here, I'll most likely try TOR out, but I haven't really seen anything remotely ground breaking about the game.  Recently, I enjoyed Rift for a couple months and TOR, right now, looks like another 2-3 month MMO.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

3 million the first year?

maybe.

All i know is that bioware sells everything they create even games that werent that great like Dragon Age 2 sold extremely well.

THey have a large following and if anyone is going to sell units like that its them.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by HurricanePip

Originally posted by Kyleran

Very true.  I think MMORPG.com wrote how even WAR turned a profit on box sales, but obviously subscriber numbers fell off after a few months.

Like many other people here, I'll most likely try TOR out, but I haven't really seen anything remotely ground breaking about the game.  Recently, I enjoyed Rift for a couple months and TOR, right now, looks like another 2-3 month MMO.

Believe it or not but a MMO does not need to be 'ground breaking' to be a success. I can give you example of ground breaking MMOS that are either shut down or are hanging by a thread. Rift is a perfect example that as long as game is well supported, fun and has a great launch..it would be a success.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

My guestimate is that there will be about 6 months worth of content at launch. Thats enough to keep the majority of people hooked for much longer and enough time to release even more content in a patch or two.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

I'm definitely on board, and hope that these numbers come to fruition.  Can't wait!

Of course to remain objective, I'll still point out that these are simply the quotes of an "analyst" which are wrong as often as they are right...

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I'm not much of an alt guy so with the proclaimed 200 hours of gameplay per class and not much of an endgame (so far 1 PvP planet and 1 raid), for a gamer I see about one month worth of game here.
  • Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

I think odds are it will be successful, but not the blow your socks off OMGWTFPWND!

• myork1927myork1927 Member Posts: 2

Who cares. I got my pre-order holo slave tweliki so im stoked....

DANCE BITCH DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Sintrix

I'm not much of an alt guy so with the proclaimed 200 hours of gameplay per class and not much of an endgame (so far 1 PvP planet and 1 raid), for a gamer I see about one month worth of game here.

That would be more than 40 hrs a week of gaming?

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226

all of TOR is going to be like Tortage in aoc but way better.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Z3R01

maybe.

All i know is that bioware sells everything they create even games that werent that great like Dragon Age 2 sold extremely well.

THey have a large following and if anyone is going to sell units like that its them.

The one bad apple always sells well. After that one things become harder, since the fanbase stops blindly buying everything...

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Kuppa

maybe.

The one bad apple always sells well. After that one things become harder, since the fanbase stops blindly buying everything...

For some companies yes, but I'd hardly consider DA2 as a game to warrant that kind of backlash. It's not great, but it's not what I would consider a "bad apple" I mean it's not like it was of that kind of poor quality. It just wasn't as good as people wanted it to be, or expect of Bioware. A lot of companies would have been praised for a game like that, perspective people come on...

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

Yea. I'm part of the 3 million stimate. And happy to be. I love everything i've seen about the game so far.

I wish SWTOR the best outcome in both sales and sustained subs.

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Sintrix

That would be more than 40 hrs a week of gaming?

hehe i was just working that out too.

200 hours of game play divided by a 31 day month  = you need to average  6 1/2 hrs  a day :)

i spose its technically possible :)

but for some one like me who probably averages at most 2 hours a day

thats at least 100 days play time! sounds good to me :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hurm. How they make up these numbers? I wonder.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Elikal

Internet, hacks, magic. image

The source(s) of all speculation.

• im one of the random people buying it. made no indication i want to buy it. didnt pre-order. but am looking forward to it

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Day 1 server's will go "down" in MMO history.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Elikal

Internet, hacks, magic. image

The source(s) of all speculation.

I hear that in order to work as an analyst there you have to be blind and share 1 eye between everyone in the office.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Kuppa

maybe.

For some companies yes, but I'd hardly consider DA2 as a game to warrant that kind of backlash. It's not great, but it's not what I would consider a "bad apple" I mean it's not like it was of that kind of poor quality. It just wasn't as good as people wanted it to be, or expect of Bioware. A lot of companies would have been praised for a game like that, perspective people come on...

Haha, its a matter of opinion. I would consider that game pretty horrible no matter what company made it, they completely focused on the wrong things for that game. So much so that they are trying to change many things in their little DLC Legacy. They have also said they know many things were wrong with the game and will change them in futre expansions. Now, if you personally thing this game was ok, awesome! image