Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on Diablo 3 & Torchlight 2

13»

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by EndDream

Originally posted by romanator0

I don't want to seem like im in an "ivory tower", but how is it possible that people who hang out on an MMO forum are upset that a game requires constant internet connection. Do you guys not play MMO's?

I think that would be a valid argument if Diablo 3 was an MMO. But the thing is, its not.

I'm not trying to argue I'm trying to understand. I guess Diablo has always been an online game for me. I never saw the point of making offline characters because I wanted to be able to trade, duel and play with other people. Diablo never seemed suited to be a 1 player game IMO. I though the 1st Torchlight was pointless for that reason.

I fall into the "frequent traveller" category. Sure, when I'm home I love MMOs and get that they need internet, I don't expect to be able to play them wihout internet. A regular old dungeon crawler, however, makes no sense for me not to have the option to tool around on my own if I'm away from the world wide web for a few weeks.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by SonofSeth

Originally posted by LisXia

Buying D3 was a no brainer, this is so for years for me.

Till I heard they need constant connection.  I spend the money on Witcher 2 in a heart beat.  Nothing to do with Torchlight or competition.  Blizzard sent me away.

I guess you'll just have to torrent it then, right?

That's twice now you've made the assumption that people who don't want to buy it will be so desperate for Blizzard's genius product, that they'll get it some other way.  I'm not interested in Diablo 3 at all.  I'm sure there are others with the same opinion.  Blizzard's new games are not "events" for everyone.  I have never played Starcraft 2, nor do I intend to.

Those who care enough to get angry or hurt about this, sure.  You don't care about Diablo and Starcraft, good, i don't care about sports games and Civilization.... so?

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Trust me, wait for path of exile

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Eir_S

Till I heard they need constant connection.  I spend the money on Witcher 2 in a heart beat.  Nothing to do with Torchlight or competition.  Blizzard sent me away.

That's twice now you've made the assumption that people who don't want to buy it will be so desperate for Blizzard's genius product, that they'll get it some other way.  I'm not interested in Diablo 3 at all.  I'm sure there are others with the same opinion.  Blizzard's new games are not "events" for everyone.  I have never played Starcraft 2, nor do I intend to.

Those who care enough to get angry or hurt about this, sure.  You don't care about Diablo and Starcraft, good, i don't care about sports games and Civilization.... so?

Well it's good to see that you have everything figured out, SoS.  Apparently, up until my post above, you were saying that anyone who is tired of Blizzard's restrictive online "innovations" is "angry" and will "download the torrent anyway" because it's "addictive Blizzard crack".  Baloney.  Now you get quiet and bring up irrelevant subjects (sports games?) because your argument is blatantly fanboyish at best, offensive to the a wide range of people at worst.  I don't want to steal Blizzard's "baby" in a fit of impotent revenge because I think they've become a bloated monster of a company; frankly I never thought their games were that great anyway.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by WarmakerI have no doubt D3 will do well.

But it doesn't make a damn bit of difference since those bastards at Blizzard will not get my money.  It isn't the first time a popular game company said, "Screw you all" to an established fanbase and implemented bad mechanics despite feedback not to do so, and squander a good franchise.

BioWare and Dragon Age 2 comes readily to mind.

Now, some of us have standards, and if you want to settle for less (all Blizzard's announcements about D3 have beenlimitations or what the game cannot be able to do... think about that) on top of BS ethics from the company, and you STILL want to fork over money?  There's a word for people like that.

Fool.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a good franchise get borked over.  And I'm sure it will not be the last.

Originally posted by MalevilMaybe they are not worried, but they should. They were doing great games, which made them loyal fan base they have now.It seems they work hard to transform loyal fans just to occasional customers.

D3 will be probably great game from game play perspective, its just retarded that there are issues not related to gameplay itself that will make ppl to not buy it. This is not way of 'old' Blizzard.

None of that will matter once you get your hands on it. Dargon Age 2 sucked because it was a crappy, rushed cash in game. Diablo 3, if anything else, looks done for 3 years now, but it's getting polished to death.

When it comes down to it, it's the gameplay, it's the feel of the thing, it's easy preaching ethics and morality before you actually know how it plays.

You're making an assumption {mod edit}  that I'm a fanboy and people have no standards.

Keep up with that blind loyalty.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    My opinion? At this point, I'd rather wait for Torchlight 2 than buy D3.

TL2 will probably release first.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Hmm I guess you need to humilitate people to troll, and have reading problem. I spent the MONEY on Witcher 2, I said. Guess that means torrent to you.

Smart trolling.
  • LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by romanator0

I don't want to seem like im in an "ivory tower", but how is it possible that people who hang out on an MMO forum are upset that a game requires constant internet connection. Do you guys not play MMO's?

I think that would be a valid argument if Diablo 3 was an MMO. But the thing is, its not.

I'm not trying to argue I'm trying to understand. I guess Diablo has always been an online game for me. I never saw the point of making offline characters because I wanted to be able to trade, duel and play with other people. Diablo never seemed suited to be a 1 player game IMO. I though the 1st Torchlight was pointless for that reason.

I do not feel there is enough features in D1 and D2 to be played like a full fledged perma world MMO. Even when online all you do is run with a few unknowns, pvp or pve and get out. There is nothing linking one session to another.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Diablo games are not MMOs.  The "massively" in Massively Multiplayer Online refers to the amount of people in an area at once that have the potential to interact with each other immediately.  This reminds me of some Blizzard fanboy on Youtube asking what the next big MMO would be and listed Diablo 3 and Titan (which we know nothing about), yet failed to list GW2, arguably the most anticipated MMO on the horizon.

If Diablo is anything, it is a CORPG (competitive/cooperative role playing game).  The games are instanced for a few players per game, but they will never be MMOs since the engine is not designed that way.  Just to clarify.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by minttunator

Originally posted by BizkitNL

The more quality games of this genre, the better :). I'd buy a Titan's Quest 2 in a heartbeat too :).

The Titan Quest team is currently making a new action RPG called Grim Dawn: http://www.grimdawn.com/

That and Path of Exile are looking pretty good, in addition to Torchlight 2. :)

Aha! Kudos!