Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should We Add Diablo 3?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The title pretty much says it all and MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy really wants your input. Head through the jump to participate in the poll on whether or not we should add Diablo 3!

It’s no secret that we’ve been broadening the scope of this site in recent years to include games which may not be traditional MMORPGs, but fall into the broader and broader scope of “MMO”. The reason we’ve added games like League of Legends and Guild Wars or Global Agenda is pretty simple: they have facets which are comparable to an MMORPG, even if the sum of the game is more of an MMO-Lite experience. We cover a broader scope these days because the industry and readers demand it, and that’s really all there is to it.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Should We Add Diablo 3?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

add it. I don't care much and I see the obvious cross over appeal.

I don't understand the drama purists much when they complain over this stuff anyhow tbh.

• CistaCistaCistaCista Member Posts: 26

No need for articles on the gameplay or content.

However I would like to see articles about the monetary system, how the RMT auction house will affect the MMO world as we know it.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by vesavius

I don't understand the drama purists much when they complain over this stuff anyhow tbh.

Because I come here to read about MMO's, not about games with a multiplayer element. That is not being a purist, that is simply the scope of this website and the reason I am here. Would I not come to this website if they add it? I most likely will if it's only one game, but really, if you add D3 then why not add D2 as well and Torchlight + other games. Because you either have to include it all or include none in my opinion.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Of course it should be added, maybe it's not an MMO as such but its an RPG and many player will be investing in it and it would be nice to have a discussion on it here.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Massive - pretty sure it will be
    Multiplayer - check
    Online - check
    RPG - check

It should be added.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• blackwitch19blackwitch19 Member Posts: 3

should be added

otherwise guild wars should be removed (seeing guildwars has no persistent world either where all players hang out in except city)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yes. It will be as much of a mmorpg as GW1 was at launch, bar the shared cities and towns;

Massive: Debatable. At least the AH.

Multiplayer: Check

Online: Check

RPG: Check (95% instead of 90% of content being about killing things isn't such a big difference either).

So that's a 75ish % match.

Also there will be a great overlap between the mmorpg and Diablo communities.

Besides, there will be PLENTY of interesting stuff to discuss about D3 (judging the already hotly debated cash auction house threads).

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

Pretty sure it will be added, if MOBA games can make it on here why not D3?!

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

diablo an rpg? well, it's an rpg as much as panzer general is. that is, your "unit" gets experience and improves. tho, actual "MMORPG" are so few and between, that you might just as well call the whole genre "MMOG".

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Guild Wars is in, may as well put D3 in. Guild Wars was nothing more than D2 with cities for lobbies.

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

No.

It's one thing if, like GA or GW, players can at least get together and interact in-game in a hub. But chatting on Battle-net doesn't qualify.  Diablo 3 looks like an awesome RPG; but the name of this site is MMORPG.com, not RPG.com.   

For that matter, I can't understand why, with an RTS and an FPS component, you didn't start an RPG site, considering more MMO'ers play RPGs than either of the other two.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I voted "Yes".

In my opinion it didn´t harm you (MMORPG.com) to open this site to games like GuildWars, Vindictus etc.
    You get more fanbases, more readers. I get more interesting online games to read about.

But do not forget your roots. ;)

We know what the “real” MMORPGs are, and by that extension we’re likely going to be changing some things on our Game List in the near future to reflect specific off-shoots (MOBA, Action-MMO, MMORTS, etc.) This way you can sort the List as you see fit and get to the games you care about even faster.
  • apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

mmorpg.com could change focus to "MMO's and RPG's", which would change this tired argument. You (mmorpg.com) could add games that fit into both or either category. 

Just my 2¢.

so...

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

Personally I would like to see this site evolve into covering all online games that have a online coop feature to them but also to make sure those games are clearly listed as to what they are, such as leage of legends and diablo, make sure people know they are not mmorpgs but are online type games.  I want to hear about diablo 3 personally cause right now im turned off from buying it over the last two decisions made, this game went from a sure buy to a maybe or I might get it later type deal.  Not to mention there are plenty of games that people need to learn about to make a informed decision and im not checking out 10 or 12 websites a day, i check three websites, this one for news, the other two for news about the specific games I play.  So I voted yes because we the customers need to learn more about these games to make a decision on whether to purchase them or not.  times are getting a bit difficult even for people with steady jobs and my entertainment budget has fallen over the last couple of years so im very picky about what i buy for games so give us all the information about any online coop type games, mobas, mmorpgs, mmorts, if its online and cooperative with other players, please cover the game.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Coman

Because I come here to read about MMO's, not about games with a multiplayer element. That is not being a purist, that is simply the scope of this website and the reason I am here. Would I not come to this website if they add it? I most likely will if it's only one game, but really, if you add D3 then why not add D2 as well and Torchlight + other games. Because you either have to include it all or include none in my opinion.

Lets see what games we have listed that are not MMOs.  Warrock, LoL, a slew of others we could point out.  Fact is Diablo is as MMO like as Guildwars.  Only difference is one is an avatar based hub with a buy/sell/trade features, other is a chat based hub requiring you to join a game to do the following.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Sure right after you add borderlands to the list.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

No.

Because it isn't an mmo.

MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE means a lot (couple of hundred at least) of people in ONE world. The word mmo is being dilluted enough without the aid of mmorpg.com.

Some idiots even call fps with a lobby an mmo these days.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

p.s. Personally I'd be more interested to read things about D3 here than reading about the gazzilionth F2P cash shop offering which I won't even touch with a ten foot pole.

But yeah, that's very personal ^_^

p.p.s. It would be kind of bad business sense NOT to add it.

p.p.p.s. It will piss off some people if they see their hotly anticipated game stomped off the hype meter by a not quite textbook MMORPG though. So you better have your popcorn nearby.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I voted NO.

I was just browsing the list of upcoming games for a new MMORPG to play, and clicked on a game that ended up being a MMORTS. I don't frequent this site to read up on MMORTS or games that can be played online, but aren't MMO's. I frequent this site to learn strictly about current and upcoming MMORPG's.

The more non-MMORPG's you add to the list, the more information a person like me has to wade through.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Unless it was built primarily to be massively multiplayer (at the same time), no.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'd have to go with no. As has been moention already, if you add D3 then you might as well add D2, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege etc etc etc.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Voted yes, it's as much an MMO as many other games with forums here and a bunch of people who play MMO's are interested in it.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Coman

How about skipping the articles you don't want to read? Voted yes and I have no interest in D3 what so ever, obviously others do though.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Sure, add it. I think this game will get a way better community than most MMO(RPG)s lately. And besides, if Guild Wars is here, so should be Diablo.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by apocalance

mmorpg.com could change focus to "MMO's and RPG's", which would change this tired argument. You (mmorpg.com) could add games that fit into both or either category. 

Just my 2¢.

Good point, all they'd need to do is change the site name to MMO/RPG.com

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...