Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five MMOs That Should Be Remade

Comments

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

I echo my fellow SWG Vets.  Remake SWG Pre-NGE with modified content currently in game.  Space, GCW, Theme Park Adveture lines with rewards fitting the Sandbox.  The one aspect of Pre-CU was lack of content because of early start.  That could be avoided a 2nd time.  Now the real question; Who do you get to make it?  SOE? lol. Cryptic?  yeah, right. NCSoft? hmm. CCP? interesting. Trion? meh. BioWare?  nay.

The majority may want to play a game... but give me a world to live in.

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Ucil

Development of a new engine and new player experience for Anarchy Online has been a long time tease of the developers in that small corner of the Funcom Canada offices. Following this article, you should really chat up Colin Cragg for details on what would be a remake of AO, if Funcom would devote more than 2 people to the project.

Where's that article?

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Age of Conan needs to be remade - by someone other than Funcom. Imagine the game it would've been had Bioware made it.

It's good to imagine, trust me.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

First time I think I've said this with one of your lists.... I completely agree. 

Though I have another remake list for some "Should have never been made by that Dev" MMO's lol. 

5. Age of Conan

4. Mortal Online

3. Champions Online

2. Star Trek Online

1. FFXIV

Err, I'm not sure why my post came out like that - anyhow I said: "Age of Conan needs to be remade - by someone other than Funcom. Imagine the game it would've been had Bioware made it.

It's good to imagine, trust me."

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Nevermind, I see what your saying. Yeah definitely , would make for another good article here.

Last I heard it was because they didn't have the money for an engine that would run it.

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• gothmog56gothmog56 Member Posts: 46

uo remade?why it sucked to begin with. the only mmorpg i deleted withing 10 min  after i installed it.

create char,3 min walk outside and die,repeat rinse delete.yes what a  joke bored high levels waiting outside of town to kill noobs.it was SOOO fun.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

My list would be:

5)  Anarchy Online

4)  GemStone III, with the original (Rolemaster) mechanics but a modern interface and 3D graphics

3)  Vanguard, with a stable development team and plan

2)  Star Wars galaxies, without the Star Wars part

1)  Dark Age of Camelot

They had two cracks at creating sequels to UO, nixed both. If they're going to do an Ultima game, Ultima 9 needs to be remade properly and the single player franchise continued. More Underworlds too. More System Shocks while we're at it.

1000 posts in 8 and a half years...

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I honestly can't believe that Shadowbane did not make the list. The best political system and territory game ever. Also some brutal pvp. I've always said that if shadow bane was remade with a better engine, I'd play in a heart beat. I suppose archeage will be the closet I'll ever get to shadow bane.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Does an mmorpg ever really get "remade"?   Id love to see sequels to any of the games on the list though, which in some cases is the same as a remake. 

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

1 .  Everquest 1

2.  Daoc

3.  SWG

• SkorcherSkorcher Member UncommonPosts: 22

I too would add Neocron to that list. 

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

Hooray, DAoC moved up!  Game had it all; even monotonous time consuming pve that actually payed off when you went to pvp.  One thing DAoC had was equal partnership (prior to NF) between pve and pvp.  It's a small thing, but it negates realm imbalance when you know you can go level up a bit and come back.  Also; the ambiance of the three realms: from the medieval style of the Brits to the Viking longhouses- each side was shown equal care and love.  You could very easily become immersed in the culture alone.  

My list:

1. DAoC

2. Auto Assault

3. Vangaurd 

4. Shadownbane

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I would like to add Darkfall with more content and Lotro with the same content but upgraded models, but hey, your list is very good and if sequels can work for the movie industry they can work for the games industry.

A lot of these titles have significant goodwill and it is being wasted. 

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• stacy74stacy74 Member Posts: 2

not a bad list, I don't agree with the number five choice personaly, though: as AO was fail on relese: AoC was fail on relese...I'm not gonna touch SW after being let down heavily by the company: afterall, the majority of people I know refer to the company as failcom, ot funcom..ah well

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

UO was my first mmorpg back in early 98.  I remember, I used to call in sick at work to GM my blacksmithing....LOL

I loved that game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I would bet you 10 bucks that any of these got remade and folks went to play the remakes they would all be going omg this is so bad,  I can remember when you could do this and this.

The problem I see with remakes is folks have an expectation of how the game should play/would play and would never be  happy with how it was remade.

Oh well,  the only one I disagree with is lineage.  I get spam mail from time to time  saying reactivate your account here,  lol I think I tried a free trial like forever and ago in another lifetime.

Oh well I think they should add vanguard in there if they could get soe to drop the license.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

I have doubts about the other 4 games, but DAoC will have me won over if only they managed to get enough people to play, and update just the UI.  It feels so uncomfortable now, after I am spoiled by the far superior UIs these days.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

If they ever make Asheron's Call 3 with half as good gameplay and as either AC or even AC2 with modern graphics I would probably never play anything else. AC2 was my first love and I still miss it.

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

I didn't even have to open this article to know you'd be shilling for DAoC once again.  It wasn't anything about the game that made the game great.  It was the gamers that made it great.  I love how the fan boys always trot out, "If it was 'done right' it would be huge" yet "done right" inevitabley translates to "put in the mechanics I like and leave out the rest."

If they redid DAoC the way it was at launch, you'd HATE it.  It was origionally built for table top gamers who wanted an alternative to EQ.  To the first generation of DAoC players the game wasn't about RvR and if you were around during those times you'd know that.  It was about the journey.  The adventure to get to level 50 and that included RvR.  Then realm points came and the serpent entered the garden.  The gamers were the ones who abandon the realm system in favor of the eight man system, not the game. 

This touting of the three realm mechanic is a relatively new phenominon.  People used it to explain why they thought Warhammer was a "failure".  I think it's about time that this was place very high on the list of "games killed by the people who played it" and the game itself should be mercifully put down.  The two thousand people stlll playing will find something else to do with the money they spend on three monthly account fees.

And now I'll wait for you to shilll for DAoC again, however, you won't do it again for another five articles because you think that makes you appear to not be a fanboi.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Eden Eternal, they stuffed it up by placing a captcha in-game, that apears randomly about every 30 minutes!

Archlord, now has that many bugs that it is no longer playable!

Rohan Online, remove the crafting system that requires item mall purchases but still only gives around a 30 percent chance of success!

d&d online, they stuffed this one up when they decided to implement a system that requires you to complete a quest so you get exp.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

I think, when considering remaking a title, the primary focus should be an expanding the core ideals of the game. A lots of MMORPGs had some very good ideas behind them, but really needed to have those ideas "done right" first, which would be expanding on the idea, and then expanded some more.

I can see why you'd pick DAoC as number 1. Of all the "EQ Clones" (i.e. Diku) that game had my favorite setting, and lots of cool parts. As a Sandboxer, and if they did remake it, I'd hope they added a lot of mystery through the runes.

AC, I never played it, but it seems to me that that game also is a very worthy title to remake, if done right. Expanded on the original ideals.

But the top game for me would be UO. By far. The biggest issue here is "expanding" the open world PvP. They'd have to start with "done right" first. And that means a Justice System that really works. But much more than just the PvP, UO had that worldly thing going. Yet, it really needs to be expanded. A lot. Expanded in world interaction, in what players can make and build, in what critters do (AI), in politic systems and city building, expanded in Rare Items, and expanded in mysteries of it's marvelous past.

UO, in my mind, is the foundation of a truly great world to play in. One that, if done right and expanded, would hold it's players because there is no "end game".

Once upon a time....

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Everyone KNEW Ultima would be on the list.  God we'd all get a five week boner if Ultima Online 2 was announced.  Yes, even the girls.  That's how impressive it is.

• I think we should probably distinguish between our modernization desires and our remake a game desires.  For example UO, AC, DAOC, and even Runescape are all pretty solid games when it comes to mechanics.  They just have horrid interfaces and their environments need modernizing. 

Whereas games like Neocron, SWG, Earth and Beyond, etc.  all need work to other stuff in addition to the interface and environments.  For SWG it would not be easy to strip out and replace every element of Star Wars from the game - and leaving something in by mistake would create a legal problem - better off to start from scratch.

AO to my mind falls somewhere in the middle.

Not that any of these will likely be modernized or remade, but we can hope.