Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Kaerigan

I obviously went too far. Sorry 'bout that. In retrospect, I was pretty childish and that comic was not very tasteful, I think I'll even go ahead and delete it from my Imgur account. First time I've ever had my post deleted by a moderator. I'll make sure that does not happen again.

But back on topic: I've been thinking of rolling an elementalist when the game releases. The developers have said that all classes can more or less tank efficiently (if I remember correctly), but they've also said that the elementalist is one of the "squishier" classes. How will this work? Will I be able to hold off the mobs for like 5 seconds and then I have to retreat?

Same here. I was warned once in the past only to have it recalled because the moderator was just plain wrong. This warning was deserved. I didn't think your comic was that bad and it made me laugh. I let the guy get to me way more than I should have. I apologize to anyone that actually read my rant. Out of character by a longshot.

on topic: What Meowhead says sums it up pretty much. What I wonder about is how all the CC you are doing to keep the mobs at bay is gonna play out in PVP. I don't like much I read about SWTOR but I did like the bar that makes a player immune to CC mechanics if they are hit with too many for a short time. 2 jobs with CC abilities ends up playing out like a chess match, but if one job has a lot more than others, say a mage since they are expected to keep away, is this going to make balancing PVP a PITA.

I doubt it will be an issue at all since Anet did a great job with blanacing PVP in the first, but it does make me wonder just how many classes will be better at the CC abilities or who will have more.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Originally posted by Kaerigan

I obviously went too far. Sorry 'bout that. In retrospect, I was pretty childish and that comic was not very tasteful, I think I'll even go ahead and delete it from my Imgur account. First time I've ever had my post deleted by a moderator. I'll make sure that does not happen again.

But back on topic: I've been thinking of rolling an elementalist when the game releases. The developers have said that all classes can more or less tank efficiently (if I remember correctly), but they've also said that the elementalist is one of the "squishier" classes. How will this work? Will I be able to hold off the mobs for like 5 seconds and then I have to retreat?

Same here. I was warned once in the past only to have it recalled because the moderator was just plain wrong. This warning was deserved. I didn't think your comic was that bad and it made me laugh. I let the guy get to me way more than I should have. I apologize to anyone that actually read my rant. Out of character by a longshot.

on topic: What Meowhead says sums it up pretty much. What I wonder about is how all the CC you are doing to keep the mobs at bay is gonna play out in PVP. I don't like much I read about SWTOR but I did like the bar that makes a player immune to CC mechanics if they are hit with too many for a short time. 2 jobs with CC abilities ends up playing out like a chess match, but if one job has a lot more than others, say a mage since they are expected to keep away, is this going to make balancing PVP a PITA.

I doubt it will be an issue at all since Anet did a great job with blanacing PVP in the first, but it does make me wonder just how many classes will be better at the CC abilities or who will have more.

That makes me the third person to be in this exact situation on this thread.  Sorry Tepthtanis, I was out of line.

On topic:  I would guess, conditions, especially the CC conditions will last less time than they would in PvE.  It has been confirmed that some skills will work a little differently in PvP, which is a good thing for balance.  Also, there are good ways around each of the CCs (or at least i hope there are)

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Added some more info about audio, I'm just very impressed with the idea that you can throw in your own music playlist if you get bored of the original score, beats just turning the sound down and playing mp3s, this way you don't miss out on environmental sounds, combat audio effects and the voice overs.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Gee! I pe'od everyone so much? I'm sorry about that. I don't think anyone understood my point.

I did, however, understand everyone else's points.

This is pure discussion and speculation about GW2. I think GW2 is going to be a premium game. Wow is a premium game and is absorbing money from every direction. They are making 15$ a month from every player in the game. Plus! Now they have a little mom and pop shop that is selling cute little useless items that the youngsters will buy in droves just so they can look cool.(This is what I heard from ppl patronizing Mmorpg.)

Now, I'm not trying to upset anyone. I played GW and WOW and I hope everyone can guess what game I want to play in the future. GW2 is cheaper. WOW charges 15$ a month. Blizzard is raking in the cash and is talking about another mmorpg.

My question is...can Arenanet survive against Blizzard unless Arenanet carves out some bucks on GW2..."Right now!"

I have some anger against WOW, I'm not going to lie...but does anyone feel that Arenanet has the capital to compete with Blizzard if they come out with a new mmorpg? And before anyone says they haven't heard about a new mmorpg from Blizzard...Wow has already peaked. Most of the middleaged folks have left(Including me and everyone I know!) And most of the youngsters are getting bored with it. Sure, they are still enrolled but they aren't playing.(The parents are paying the bill though.) Blizzard has been prepared for this for a long time.

I would rather give my hard earned dollars to a company that has at least "TRIED" to keep their prices down.(And is trying to draw in the "now" available middleaged.) But if I have to pay a little extra for them to remain competitve with the largest...and most painful moneysuckers in mmorpg history!...I'm paying a little extra. Can't be worse than having your account hacked, right?

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by tepthtanis

Gee! I pe'od everyone so much? I'm sorry about that. I don't think anyone understood my point.

I did, however, understand everyone else's points. 

This is pure discussion and speculation about GW2. I think GW2 is going to be a premium game. Wow is a premium game and is absorbing money from every direction. They are making 15$ a month from every player in the game. Plus! Now they have a little mom and pop shop that is selling cute little useless items that the youngsters will buy in droves just so they can look cool.(This is what I heard from ppl patronizing Mmorpg.)

Now, I'm not trying to upset anyone. I played GW and WOW and I hope everyone can guess what game I want to play in the future. GW2 is cheaper. WOW charges 15$ a month. Blizzard is raking in the cash and is talking about another mmorpg.

My question is...can Arenanet survive against Blizzard unless Arenanet carves out some bucks on GW2..."Right now!"

I have some anger against WOW, I'm not going to lie...but does anyone feel that Arenanet has the capital to compete with Blizzard if they come out with a new mmorpg? And before anyone says they haven't heard about a new mmorpg from Blizzard...Wow has already peaked. Most of the middleaged folks have left(Including me and everyone I know!) And most of the youngsters are getting bored with it. Sure, they are still enrolled but they aren't playing.(The parents are paying the bill though.) Blizzard has been prepared for this for a long time.

I would rather give my hard earned dollars to a company that has at least "TRIED" to keep their prices down.(And is trying to draw in the "now" available middleaged.) But if I have to pay a little extra for them to remain competitve with the largest...and most painful moneysuckers in mmorpg history!...I'm paying a little extra. Can't be worse than having your account hacked, right?

Im sorry, but Your missing the point. As long as Guild Wars 2 does not have a monthly fee, it will never be a true competator with any other Pay 2 play model. Because the only reason MMO's have to compete against each other is because of monthly fees.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by Ablestron

Im sorry, but Your missing the point. As long as Guild Wars 2 does not have a monthly fee, it will never be a true competator with any other Pay 2 play model. Because the only reason MMO's have to compete against each other is because of monthly fees.

Quite the opposite. Most players focus on one MMO at a time meaning that so long as they play GW2 they wont be paying fees for other MMOs.

Also, don't underestimate GW2 because it doesn't look like another mediocre B2P MMO around the corner (or cRPG like GW1), and if it ends up being the best MMO choice of 2012 it might change the general attitutde towards P2P models in the future.

Ofc this is only my opinion, but the way I see it GW2 is the greatest competitor to all other AAA titles specificaly for being a B2P.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm not mad.  I understood your point.  (Though you could probably work on your punctuation a little bit, that does make it hard to follow the flow sometimes)  I just think you're wrong.

... if you want to support GW2, just buy 15 dollars worth of stuff a month.  Buy T-shirts or something if you don't want extra character slots.  Give them out as Christmas gifts!

I'll be using the cash shop, just to support them.  I've already bought the books.  I'll probably buy at least 2 copies of the game (At least 1 of which will be a collector's edition) as well, maybe more.

Also, charging more money doesn't automatically make you more money.  That's not the way it works.

If it worked that way, they'd just charge 150 million a month and make a fortune. :T

I have faith that Anet will deliver a great game from the word go, they know they have to, without a monthly sub they have to make all their money from box sales and their shop, if the goods aren't up to scratch they aren't going to make money, it's a big risk for them to take which is why I think they are taking so many other risks with this game (no holy trinity and a quest system that doesn't rely on NPC's with an exclamation mark above their head), if they get it right, which so far it looks like they are, then I'm sure there will be plenty of us that will happily spend money in their cash shop on fluff items we wouldn't go near if there was a monthly fee involved too.

Anet need us to want to support them, otherwise no one will be spending in their shop, deliver a game with quality and have a dev team that supports their player base and I'm sure I won't be the only one spending more simply because I feel they deserve the support.

Anet shifted seven million units of the first title, its subsequent chapters and expansion, that's not a figure to scoff at, that must have given them a secure financial base to start on GW2 and given NCSoft the confidence to invest in the title too, they've just moved to new offices which looks like they are planning on expanding, a very good sign for a game coming up to release, it's not like sub games where companies scale down operations after release, Anet have to keep delivering content to keep the money coming in.

Obviously the Arenanet beancounters know what they are doing. Who am I to disagree with them!

Originally posted by Meowhead

I'm not mad.  I understood your point.  (Though you could probably work on your punctuation a little bit, that does make it hard to follow the flow sometimes)  I just think you're wrong.

... if you want to support GW2, just buy 15 dollars worth of stuff a month.  Buy T-shirts or something if you don't want extra character slots.  Give them out as Christmas gifts!

I'll be using the cash shop, just to support them.  I've already bought the books.  I'll probably buy at least 2 copies of the game (At least 1 of which will be a collector's edition) as well, maybe more.

Also, charging more money doesn't automatically make you more money.  That's not the way it works.

If it worked that way, they'd just charge 150 million a month and make a fortune. :T

I didn't know I was up against the NEA Meowland...Me against a bunch of teachers! I lose...(Punctuation..etc..)

I would cash in to the cash shop...but my daughter wearing tons of GW2 gear might be cool at first...but in the end...I would lose again.

150 million a month? B. Gates would be playing by himself...:)

Oops...acidentally pressed a button twice.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I didn't know I was up against the NEA Meowland...Me against a bunch of teachers! I lose...(Punctuation..etc..)

I would cash in to the cash shop...but my daughter wearing tons of GW2 gear might be cool at first...but in the end...I would lose again.

Wait, so tephtatis, you are mad that you are not paying a monthly fee. And how would you lose again? Did you know, that guildwars cashshop has costumes for your ONLINE character/avatar to wear? So no, you dont have to by physical objects and get your poor duaghter to wear them.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Wait, so tephtatis, you are mad that you are not paying a monthly fee. And how would you lose again? Did you know, that guildwars cashshop has costumes for your ONLINE character/avatar to wear? So no, you dont have to by physical objects and get your poor duaghter to wear them.

What? I don't understand?

Originally posted by SanHor

Quite the opposite. Most players focus on one MMO at a time meaning that so long as they play GW2 they wont be paying fees for other MMOs.

Also, don't underestimate GW2 because it doesn't look like another mediocre B2P MMO around the corner (or cRPG like GW1), and if it ends up being the best MMO choice of 2012 it might change the general attitutde towards P2P models in the future.

Ofc this is only my opinion, but the way I see it GW2 is the greatest competitor to all other AAA titles specificaly for being a B2P.

Im not against GW2 at all and I wasnt bashing its model at all either. 

And it doesnt matter wether or not people cancel their subs after trying Guild Wars 2, because many of them would never buy the game if it hadnt been Buy to play. So because its buy to play many MMO players will buy it in order to test it out, due to this the only ones trying to compete will be other MMO's trying to hold on to their subs, but Guild Wars 2 wont have to worry about competing with other P2P MMO's at all. 

Also with Guild Wars 2's gameplay and leveling curve, many MMO players who are commited to other games will be able to progress in the game on the side over time, while still maintaining their subscribtions to the MMO they have been playing.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

And it doesnt matter wether or not people cancel their subs after trying Guild Wars 2, because many of them would never buy the game if it hadnt been Buy to play. So because its buy to play many MMO players will buy it in order to test it out, due to this the only ones trying to compete will be other MMO's trying to hold on to their subs, but Guild Wars 2 wont have to worry about competing with other P2P MMO's at all. 

Also with Guild Wars 2's gameplay and leveling curve, many MMO players who are commited to other games will be able to progress in the game on the side over time, while still maintaining their subscribtions to the MMO they have been playing.

I can only speak for myself here but if GW2 were a P2P model, i'd still buy it in a heart beat. Not because of the IP, as I didn't get into the first. More because look at the options out there now and the ones on the horizon. To me GW2 stands out so the B2P is a bonus, though I do agree that there will be those that buy it because it is B2B, just not all. I have certainly purchased P2P because they offered a free 30 days with purchase and I had a feeling I would get burned and I did. So there are plenty of sub games out there that couldn't even give me the 30 days of interest. If GW2 were a sub based and that was the only option with the MMO genre, I have happily payed before and would do so with that title as well. but it isn't and it could prove that subs are a gimmick.

As to your second paragraph, I wonder why anyone would concidder playing GW2 and subbing to another. If GW2 has enough content, excluding PvP cause that is plenty to do in itself, who has the time to play 2 MMORPG's? I am sure there are those that do, but why pay for a second games sub if Anet shows that the company you are supporting is fullofshit by charging you a monthly fee to begin with. Wheres the logic in that? My opinion is based on if GW2 is successful of course.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

I'm all for Gw2 and it's shop KingJiggly! I didn't understand where u were coming from at first but GW2 is providing a great Mmorpg experience. It took you too make me realize it's for me! :D

I can only speak for myself here but if GW2 were a P2P model, i'd still buy it in a heart beat. Not because of the IP, as I didn't get into the first. More because look at the options out there now and the ones on the horizon. To me GW2 stands out so the B2P is a bonus, though I do agree that there will be those that buy it because it is B2B, just not all. I have certainly purchased P2P because they offered a free 30 days with purchase and I had a feeling I would get burned and I did. So there are plenty of sub games out there that couldn't even give me the 30 days of interest. If GW2 were a sub based and that was the only option with the MMO genre, I have happily payed before and would do so with that title as well. but it isn't and it could prove that subs are a gimmick.

As to your second paragraph, I wonder why anyone would concidder playing GW2 and subbing to another. If GW2 has enough content, excluding PvP cause that is plenty to do in itself, who has the time to play 2 MMORPG's? I am sure there are those that do, but why pay for a second games sub if Anet shows that the company you are supporting is fullofshit by charging you a monthly fee to begin with. Wheres the logic in that? My opinion is based on if GW2 is successful of course.

your points are valid. But in the grand scheme of things, Im just happy I get to play this game for only 50-60 dollors upon release :))))))) 

your points are valid. But in the grand scheme of things, Im just happy I get to play this game for only 50-60 dollors upon release :))))))) 

You do and so do I! :D

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

King's Quest over at gw2guru has put together a lot of the facts we know about PvP, sure to be more info at Gamescom coming up:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2-pvp-systems-information-summary-t19633.html

eg

TABLE OF CONTENTS

PvP

- Availability & Access

- Structured PvP

- Tournaments

-  Pick-up play

WvW

- Maps, Control Points, Objectives, Accessibility, Server Participation, Character Progression and Personal Rewards, Global Rewards, Guilds in WvW, Parties

Activities

PvP Lore Summary
  • hullemanhulleman Member Posts: 7

Great article. :)

• RozbuskaRozbuska Member Posts: 8

Great thread thx!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

Nice thread

Thank you for the thanks, my pleasure :)

I'll be updating the original post after gamescom, for some reason when I go to edit a lot of the tags disappear so it's not easy to do a quick edit.