Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five MMOs That Should Be Remade

Comments

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

My list/comments

1. DAoC - I'd love to see a DAoC 2 that was a little more gritty in setting, the game was fun, but by the time I'd left EQ for it, I could tell it had already gotten old (yeah I was one of those who played EQ a long time). The biggest problem I had was the setting seemed overboard fantastical and I would have loved to see it a litte more "real", if possible. 

2. Earth Above and Beyond - This game had so much potential, but didn't have the development time or money to live up to it. Expanding on those bones would make for a pretty damn fun game and a wonderful world to explore. 

3. Vanguard - Oh Vanguard, you tried to be so much and so big, but you launched buggy and some what incomplete. This was the second game in my life to actually make me feel a little awed when I stepped into that world, EQ being the first. Like EQ it rasied actual emotions, fear of dying (even without a really harsh death penalty), joy of success and a sense of wonder for the huge world before me. To see it made bigger and better would be wonderful, but I'd hate to see a repeat of EQ2 where the setting and style change so much that they are different kinds of games. 

4. SWG - I've had a love/hate affair with SWG since its launch, we all know the bad even if some choose to ignore the horrendous launch and dearth of meaningful content. But like E&B it was a game with great bones, but lacked the muscles to do much with those bones. It by far had the best Star Wars style space combat of any sci-fi mmo ever released, it's range of personalization choices were unrivaled. Had it simply had more "game" to it, it probably wouldn't have been recreated over and over again. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see an SWG2. 

5. Mythica - Technically a game that actually never got made in the first place, it was a few weeks away from Alpha when MS dropped it. The world was one that I really wanted to see come to life and the idea of starting out by dying and becoming working towards becoming a demi-god was a nice twist on the genre. I'd give a lot to see this game ressurected with new tech. 

• eric2020eric2020 Member UncommonPosts: 11

trueth is wow's getting old and should have been made free to play a while back and a totaly revamped wow or wow II put in the subscriber slot.

• MMObeastMMObeast Member Posts: 1

Everquest and Star wars galaxies pre CU would also be great to see re-made. But this is an excellent list even without those 2.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Great list! There isn't much I am looking forward to in MMOs aside from SWTOR, which I think is going to suffer from a very overhyped release, but I'd be very happy to hear of AO2, Lineage 3, UO2, AC3, or DAoC2. Unfortunately I think some developers/publishers like EA Mythic  have already confirmed that some of these won't happen. I guess (and hope) anything can change though.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

You know, it is kind of amazing how many mmos are really out there... I just learned like 20 new games. Idk many mmos myself, so i cant have much input into this. But, i guess i learned some new games... gonna have to try a couple ;D

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

A revamped UO could work really well. Expect GW2 to scratch that daoc itch somewhat? And EvE for other sandbox is going great guns it seems.

• KisraKisra Member Posts: 8

I have been playing / played Anarchy Online for like 6 years this game ROCK all over all the other games but its problem isn't in the 3D only !  , if they want to get AO to what it deserve

they should follow tho

1st - Make deep story line for it

2nd- MORE content Diffenetly whats will make the game back to life again , and not Random content , tho Content are belong to the story line !

3rd - reprogram ALL boss's to make them have AI . so none could solo boss's anyway not even 2 or 4 ppl could solo end game boss's any more coz that are killing the game community (mmo is all about team work as long as you going to pve , in pvp its other story)

4th - STOP the item MAILL + STOP making the game away easyer its killing AO base player which is the ppl was supporting the game over Years !

[Last thing hope they remove ARK (ARK is like GM but he is player as any one but they hire few like that to help in simple problems when it comes to something important GM come) the reason is some/most of them don't help at all when they see that player on the other fuction! lol (A _ S_H_ _ LS)

P.S Dont get me wrong when you read that or feel the game is total crap its GOOD game

and have many thing's to offer but got lack in PVE ... PVP system is insanly Good , sadly i am not a PVP person , and the reason coz its lack in PvE , coz few patch give us alot more fire power while the mobs almost still the same fire power / def (i think) ..

(sry if there is miss spell)

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214

I enjoyed playing DAOC but it got to a point it was updating with the same kinda contenet as EQ Depressing, I really did enjoy the PVP one of the best I thought.

I'm not to sure about the other 4 tho, after  few update I felt like ANarchy was going to the wrong direction, but early on it was difinately unique. I would consider those 2.The rest I never had any interest. EQ was at the ttime was just awesome the different classes races etc, EQ really needs a face lift set it up with everything new and I believe it would come back

• AmalgithAmalgith Member Posts: 11

DAoC for sure was my 1st MMORPG I ever played and started off my mmorpg addiction. Relic wars again plz.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I have only played 3 and 5 on the list, but agree both should be remade.

Even thought I am well and truly burnt out on Fantasy setting games If they remade UO I would be all over it.

• ChackzChackz Member Posts: 76

i would remake FF14...

• HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55

i would like to see matrix online remade tbh, was my first mmo and i think it could have been sooo much better

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

I have to say a revamped Lineage I would jump at the chance to play I am a bit too young to have been into it first time around and would love to give it a try.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

OK YOUR LIST IS EPIC

Thank god you put Asheron's call and UO ... i agree with Daoc and Lineage 2... awsome list

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

AO, DAoC. and AC yes please!!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by ninjinkai506

Video games aren't breaking into their 30's...they're in their late 30's, breaking into their 40's, depending on what you consider to be the first games available to the general public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game#History

Holy crap, I fail at math.  I was going by 1972 and I'm still wrong.  ;)  Correction being made!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• HandsomeHussHandsomeHuss Member UncommonPosts: 100

Did anybody here actually expect anything different for number 1?

How the hell does DAOC still not have a sequel or even an update in the works?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Personally I wouldnt remake ANY game. Why?

A few reasons-

1- It would put TREMENDOUS pressure on the Devs to "Get it right and/or do it better this time!"

2- Because a Remake of an MMO would more than likely turn out like a Remake of a Movie.

Suck, Suck and more SUCK!

If I HAD to choose, I could/would only pick 1 to remake. That would be UO.

And by Remake, I mean 3D Dynamic Open World Sandbox.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• munecaroonmunecaroon Member Posts: 88

CoX needs a remake badly.

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Definitely Anarchy Online. Fro, time to time I still want to redownload it and play it again.

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

Originally posted by kakasaki

Call me crazy but I would love to see and updated and bug-free Shadowbane...

Your crazy.

But I'm right with ya.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• UcilUcil Member Posts: 8

Development of a new engine and new player experience for Anarchy Online has been a long time tease of the developers in that small corner of the Funcom Canada offices. Following this article, you should really chat up Colin Cragg for details on what would be a remake of AO, if Funcom would devote more than 2 people to the project.

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Very happy to see AO, DAoC, and AC on that list. I would try any remake in a heartbeat!

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

good list , i would add Neocron loved the setting 

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Going this route..

1. Star Wars Galaxies (PRE NGE)

2. Dark Age of Camelot

3. Ultima Online

4. Anarchy Online

5. Shadowbane

Granted that the OP had a nice list as well,but I am not far from it. Asherons I dabbled into the game years ago during the EQ / DAoC days, however it would be 6 on my list.