It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
1. DAoC - I'd love to see a DAoC 2 that was a little more gritty in setting, the game was fun, but by the time I'd left EQ for it, I could tell it had already gotten old (yeah I was one of those who played EQ a long time). The biggest problem I had was the setting seemed overboard fantastical and I would have loved to see it a litte more "real", if possible.
2. Earth Above and Beyond - This game had so much potential, but didn't have the development time or money to live up to it. Expanding on those bones would make for a pretty damn fun game and a wonderful world to explore.
3. Vanguard - Oh Vanguard, you tried to be so much and so big, but you launched buggy and some what incomplete. This was the second game in my life to actually make me feel a little awed when I stepped into that world, EQ being the first. Like EQ it rasied actual emotions, fear of dying (even without a really harsh death penalty), joy of success and a sense of wonder for the huge world before me. To see it made bigger and better would be wonderful, but I'd hate to see a repeat of EQ2 where the setting and style change so much that they are different kinds of games.
4. SWG - I've had a love/hate affair with SWG since its launch, we all know the bad even if some choose to ignore the horrendous launch and dearth of meaningful content. But like E&B it was a game with great bones, but lacked the muscles to do much with those bones. It by far had the best Star Wars style space combat of any sci-fi mmo ever released, it's range of personalization choices were unrivaled. Had it simply had more "game" to it, it probably wouldn't have been recreated over and over again. Sadly I doubt we'll ever see an SWG2.
5. Mythica - Technically a game that actually never got made in the first place, it was a few weeks away from Alpha when MS dropped it. The world was one that I really wanted to see come to life and the idea of starting out by dying and becoming working towards becoming a demi-god was a nice twist on the genre. I'd give a lot to see this game ressurected with new tech.
trueth is wow's getting old and should have been made free to play a while back and a totaly revamped wow or wow II put in the subscriber slot.
Everquest and Star wars galaxies pre CU would also be great to see re-made. But this is an excellent list even without those 2.
Great list! There isn't much I am looking forward to in MMOs aside from SWTOR, which I think is going to suffer from a very overhyped release, but I'd be very happy to hear of AO2, Lineage 3, UO2, AC3, or DAoC2. Unfortunately I think some developers/publishers like EA Mythic have already confirmed that some of these won't happen. I guess (and hope) anything can change though.
You know, it is kind of amazing how many mmos are really out there... I just learned like 20 new games. Idk many mmos myself, so i cant have much input into this. But, i guess i learned some new games... gonna have to try a couple ;D
A revamped UO could work really well. Expect GW2 to scratch that daoc itch somewhat? And EvE for other sandbox is going great guns it seems.
I have been playing / played Anarchy Online for like 6 years this game ROCK all over all the other games but its problem isn't in the 3D only ! , if they want to get AO to what it deserve
they should follow tho
1st - Make deep story line for it
2nd- MORE content Diffenetly whats will make the game back to life again , and not Random content , tho Content are belong to the story line !
3rd - reprogram ALL boss's to make them have AI . so none could solo boss's anyway not even 2 or 4 ppl could solo end game boss's any more coz that are killing the game community (mmo is all about team work as long as you going to pve , in pvp its other story)
4th - STOP the item MAILL + STOP making the game away easyer its killing AO base player which is the ppl was supporting the game over Years !
[Last thing hope they remove ARK (ARK is like GM but he is player as any one but they hire few like that to help in simple problems when it comes to something important GM come) the reason is some/most of them don't help at all when they see that player on the other fuction! lol (A _ S_H_ _ LS)
P.S Dont get me wrong when you read that or feel the game is total crap its GOOD game
and have many thing's to offer but got lack in PVE ... PVP system is insanly Good , sadly i am not a PVP person , and the reason coz its lack in PvE , coz few patch give us alot more fire power while the mobs almost still the same fire power / def (i think) ..
(sry if there is miss spell)
I enjoyed playing DAOC but it got to a point it was updating with the same kinda contenet as EQ Depressing, I really did enjoy the PVP one of the best I thought.
I'm not to sure about the other 4 tho, after few update I felt like ANarchy was going to the wrong direction, but early on it was difinately unique. I would consider those 2.The rest I never had any interest. EQ was at the ttime was just awesome the different classes races etc, EQ really needs a face lift set it up with everything new and I believe it would come back
DAoC for sure was my 1st MMORPG I ever played and started off my mmorpg addiction. Relic wars again plz.
I have only played 3 and 5 on the list, but agree both should be remade.
Even thought I am well and truly burnt out on Fantasy setting games If they remade UO I would be all over it.
i would remake FF14...
i would like to see matrix online remade tbh, was my first mmo and i think it could have been sooo much better
I have to say a revamped Lineage I would jump at the chance to play I am a bit too young to have been into it first time around and would love to give it a try.
Healing the world since 2005Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
OK YOUR LIST IS EPIC
Thank god you put Asheron's call and UO ... i agree with Daoc and Lineage 2... awsome list
AO, DAoC. and AC yes please!!
Originally posted by ninjinkai506 Video games aren't breaking into their 30's...they're in their late 30's, breaking into their 40's, depending on what you consider to be the first games available to the general public. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game#History
Holy crap, I fail at math. I was going by 1972 and I'm still wrong. Correction being made!
Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.
My Review ManifestoFollow me on Twitter if you dare.
Did anybody here actually expect anything different for number 1?
How the hell does DAOC still not have a sequel or even an update in the works?
Personally I wouldnt remake ANY game. Why?
A few reasons-
1- It would put TREMENDOUS pressure on the Devs to "Get it right and/or do it better this time!"
2- Because a Remake of an MMO would more than likely turn out like a Remake of a Movie.
Suck, Suck and more SUCK!
If I HAD to choose, I could/would only pick 1 to remake. That would be UO.
And by Remake, I mean 3D Dynamic Open World Sandbox.
Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFTPlaying: SkyrimFollowing: The RepopulationI want a Virtual World, not just a Game.ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)
CoX needs a remake badly.
Definitely Anarchy Online. Fro, time to time I still want to redownload it and play it again.
Godspeed my fellow gamer
Originally posted by kakasaki Call me crazy but I would love to see and updated and bug-free Shadowbane...
But I'm right with ya.
Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck
Development of a new engine and new player experience for Anarchy Online has been a long time tease of the developers in that small corner of the Funcom Canada offices. Following this article, you should really chat up Colin Cragg for details on what would be a remake of AO, if Funcom would devote more than 2 people to the project.
Great list. Every game on there deserves a true reboot. Lineage was my first game and still the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.
Here's the problem. It will never work. What made all those games great was the developer team that created them, not the studios developing or publishing them. Jake Song has moved on to his own company creating ArcheAge. Toby Ragaini (of Asheron's Call) is with Novel (some small Indie niche studio). It's hard to find where some of these people have gone and the point is that even those core individual's were still only part of a complete team.
The longer I play video games the more I realize that sometimes certain teams create magic much like really good bands make great music. A lot of bands make good music, but the truly greats are rare and you can't just remake the magic they originally created.
The cynic in me views most of those studios as pale shadows of what they were (Turbine, Funcom, Mythic). I keep an eye out for teams with a vision for gaming (like 38 Studios). Those are where I think we'll see our next Asheron's Call or Lineage or DAoC.
Very happy to see AO, DAoC, and AC on that list. I would try any remake in a heartbeat!
good list , i would add Neocron loved the setting