Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five MMOs That Should Be Remade

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

You know the games on this list, the grand old dames of the industry, many of which are still with us today. But great as these games are, they show their ages. In The List today, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy takes a look at five MMOs that really need a make over. Check out Bill's list and see what you think. Then let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Games are becoming more and more like movies in how their IPs are handled. It seems that as videogames break into their forties (yes, they're that old), more and more titles from the 80s and 90s are seeing revivals. But one genre that doesn't have this happening just yet is the MMO. Sure MMORPGs are a younger offshoot of the industry, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few old gems already which players would eat up should they be refreshed. Heck, they don't even need to be "dead" games to deserve a reboot that makes them new, shiny, and attractive. With that in mind we've put together a list of five games we'd love to see get the revival treatment.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: Five MMOs That Should Be Remade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Good list this time around, I agree with each game in it, especially the number one.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

+1 For DAoC and Ultima. Old school MMORPGers are getting left behind in modern MMOs, and there is a pretty big target niche they could reach out to.

• zarawerzarawer Member UncommonPosts: 31

I choose DAoC and AC remakes for sure, two of my favorite games of all time.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I really like that list... a lot. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Good list. Huge huge fan of DAoC and AO especially. All the rest have my respect.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

AC and DAoC would have been my top two also, but in reverse order.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Haven't we seen this list already?

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Man.. if Lineage improved a little on their mechanic i would come back. Still one of the best world PVP around, and the classes are one of the bests. I hoped AION would be L3 but.. what a joke.. not even 1/10 of what L2 is with crappy "westernization".

Hope Archage/Tera bring back a lil of the filling of Tr000 pvp.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Of note, Lineage still operates in Asia and has a huge number of players there. As long as that is the case it won't be remade, but Lineage 3 is, in the pipeline, even if development on it is currently suspended.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

DAoC. I just want to see why those fans keep trying to turn every single game in the market into it. Lets see I saw threads about people wanting DAoC features added into Rift(they had a 100 page thread floating around), GW2, SWToR, and WoW.

I personally think 3 faction splits the population FAR too much and the only way to pull it off would b on a super servers that did not cause lag when you have thousands on the screen which is easily 5-10 years away.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

DAoC and UO FTW, my first 2 MMOS. An AO remake would be awesome too. good list

I miss DAoC

• alien1984alien1984 Member Posts: 119

Lineage was one of the best game i ever played, and i played it for many years. I jumped off the bandwagon a few years ago when it was evident how poorly the game was managed. NCsoft are so bad at what they do and they let amazing games vanish into thin air.

I do want to eleborate on this. It was the same game like in Asia but the team in NA was too small and way under qualified. Many private lineage 1 servers emerged during this time. I played on one of the private servers and the admins would translate the Asian patches in about a week and they were fully playable. This took the official NCsoft team over a year to do in NA. When a private server is better managed than the official thing you know something is terribly wrong. Another thing this game needed was a new server so everyone could start fresh. No one wants to start playing a game with no level cap when the servers have been out since the age of time. Hopefully a real company will pick this game up again and give it the attention it deserves.

Now on to anarchy online. I played this game on and off for around 5 years. This game is amazing as well but just like NCsoft titles, Funcom obviously doesn't know how to run a game company. Anarchy online's player base is basically non existant. They also keep promising this new graphics engine similar to age of conan's. They have been promising this for years but the truth is it will never happen. The team is too small, period. It is only a matter of time before you see them close the servers for this game also.

Lineage 1 and anarchy online are the best games i have ever played, and i really mean that. What they need is a real gaming company to back them up. You may not agree with my straight forward wording on my reply, but i have a soft spot for these games.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Great list , all games above would kick ass.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Don't shoot me, but since FFXIV didn't give us a remake/reboot of FFXI, I am going to say I would like FFXI remade.  Keep the game world, systems, story etc, but update graphics and most importantly UI, controls and make combat for fluid.

Good list though, I would LOVE to play new versions of AC or AO.  Those 2 game always appealed to me but I couldn't get into them due to graphics and controls.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm!everquest

but in w7 or plus,dx11 only!3d!etc!

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Call me crazy but I would love to see and updated and bug-free Shadowbane...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• ArtarylArtaryl Member Posts: 66

Meh a forgotten one by many I guess but I'd love a remake of Shadowbane. New graphic and better server to handle the pvp and city sieges would be awesome.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Meridian 59 ffs.

Why was the Grandfather omitted, Mr.Murphy?

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

AO and DAoC remade with updated graphics and animations with a few tweeks and I would never play anything else.

Godz of War I call Thee

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

AO 4tw.  I would buy lifetime sub to AO2 based on the announcement alone (as long as it was still Funcom behind it).

I think SWG should be on that list, but then again, i think everyone knows that'll never happen.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ThydusThydus Member Posts: 24

Tabula Rasa <3

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Interesting list. Minewould look something like:

5) Star Wars Galaxies (pre NGE)

4) Horizons : Empires of Istaria

3) Ultima Online

2) Dark Age of Camelot

1) Asheron's Call

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Great list!

MY special considerations would be E&B and Shadowbane.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

In no particular order: DAoC, FFXI, Vanguard, UO and EQ1

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

No SWG? :p This actually surprised me. SWG and UO are two of the most featurerich MMO's there ever have been. UO is on the list and SWG isnt :/

Anarchy Online would definately need more then just a graphics revamp to become successfull. The game is quite shallow apart from its skillsystem and implants. Actually the skillsystem isnt that great either. There is like 95% wrong choice combinations and 5% good choice combinations. So AO's skillsystem plays more like some schoolexam (you have to study the forums and then take the ingame test :p) I loved the game mainly for its ambience.

Never played the other three, so cant comment on those.