Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obi Wan?

2»

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by Storched

Bioware classified him as a consular. I have no idea why. It's pretty obvious he is a knight since he is focused more on lightsaber combat. They should have used Obi Wan as the knight and Yoda as the consular.

My main will be a Consular and I will be focusing on lightsaber combat with my AC choice. But it will be a double bladed lightsaber. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• If we go by the KOTOR classes I would say Obi Wan was a sentinel, both by skill set and temperment.  Sentinels were balanced combat wise and focused on diplomacy and stealth when they could.  Just like Obi Wan.

• NytrisNytris Member Posts: 42

Lol people sometimes think my last name is spelt the same as Obi. I wonder since I'm planing to play a consular if I should use that excuse to use my last name for my avatar. No one would really know in game I guess lol.

• StorchedStorched Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Originally posted by Storched

Bioware classified him as a consular. I have no idea why. It's pretty obvious he is a knight since he is focused more on lightsaber combat. They should have used Obi Wan as the knight and Yoda as the consular.

My main will be a Consular and I will be focusing on lightsaber combat with my AC choice. But it will be a double bladed lightsaber. image

Now if he had a double bladed lightsaber then yes I would consider him a consular and more specifically a badass shadow image

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

The problem with "classes" versus deeper analysis and comparing things to real life at all is that people are usually more complex than that and they change over time.  So earlier in life Obi Wan could have seemed very much the Knight or such but later in life as he got wiser and understood more he became a lot more like a Consular.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Unshra

Originally posted by Isturi

Originally posted by Teala

So Obi Wan was a Guardian...would that mean Qui-Gon Jinn was a Consular?

LoL silly Teala in Old Republic terrms yes. But the titles has changed in Obi Wans time during the Star Wars time line. It became Kight and Jedi Master. though when descovered by a Kight  or Master you were considered a padawan. Which if I am not mastaken during the Old Republics time line you would just be considered a "Student of the Force."

Edit for grammer

This is wrong, in the Old Republic (and before) the Jedi Order had Jedi Initiates (Younglings), Jedi Padawans, Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters. This has always been the way in that era, the classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic have nothing to do with the orders ranks, when you play the game you will start off as a Jedi Padawan and under go your trial to become a Jedi Knight, your class does not change this.

The closest thing the classes come to are Jedi specializations, these are positions open to Jedi after they pass the trail but does not denote a rank just their job (task) focus. Commonly known specializations are Consular, Sentinel and Guardian, under each specialization were several rolls for example a Jedi Consular could be an Jedi Ambassador, Jedi Diplomat, Jedi healer, Jedi Lore Keeper, Jedi Researcher, Jedi Seer.

All of this information is available on one single wiki page so I won’t ramble on any further about it, if you want to know more you can read it here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi

So to answer your question Teala the classes in SWTOR are more like Jedi specializations and they are "not" ranks with in the order. The ranks have basicly always been what you saw in the movies (assuming you watched all of them). Also as for the rule of two that only applied to the Sith, but that's another story.

I hope that answers your questions Teala.

Awesome, thanks for the link and clearing this up, makes a lot more sense now!  ^_^

• in terms of a charcter that maybe plays more like obi-wan i would say pick a knight.  but if you are looking to follow more of a story with a feel of obi-wan you may want to look at the consular.

this is from the a dev blog about the consular:

When developing the story for the Jedi Consular, these were themes we wanted to address – power and wisdom, how Jedi face the dark side, and how they work toward the ideals of the Republic. But the key element of the Consular’s story is mystery, using intelligence and courage to seek the truth. We wanted to capture the journey of Obi-Wan Kenobi – someone who begins with unusual insight and talent, but who is still growing into those powers, learning about the galaxy, and choosing what path to take in life.

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20100305_001

now whether or not you agree with how they see things is another matter

if you are interested in seeing their take on the knight you might want to check this dev blog

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20091106_002

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Unless my Jedi-Lore is off..

Obi-Wan was a Jedi Guardian, as he wielded a blue light-saber.

Consular wield green light-sabers, such as Yoda.

BioWare even states such in Knights of the Old Republic.

Guardians tended to focus in on Light-Saber combat, while Consular focused on wielding force powers.

Just because they focused on one didn’t mean they didn’t excel as well at the other, Yoda was amazing with his Light-Saber, however there are many accounts of how Mace Windu was far better then him, and nearly unrivaled, it was in Yoda’s force sensitivity, and mastery that he was unrivaled in, the different in skill with a saber is actually why Yoda resigns as Head of the Jedi Council (In favor for Mace.).

In the movies, both Obi, and Anakin do not often use their Force Mastery in Light-Saber duels, as they are not masters of it, even though Anakin has one of the greatest sensitivity to the force ever found, he never dove deeply into it’s mastery outside of enhancing his Swords skills (Force-Jump, Run, precision, ect).

• KickphatKickphat Member Posts: 189
    if skywalker didn't fall to the dark side he most likely would of been almost as good as Yoda you also got to take into account that Yoda lived for 900 years so he has been using the force for 99% of his life skywalker had only been studying the force for 13 years or so when he turned to the dark side an then turn into mostly a Cyborg which cut his force skills in half
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

the real question is why play jedi at all, when you can embrace the dark side and join the sith!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Kickphat

if skywalker didn't fall to the dark side he most likely would of been almost as good as Yoda you also got to take into account that Yoda lived for 900 years so he has been using the force for 99% of his life skywalker had only been studying the force for 13 years or so when he turned to the dark side an then turn into mostly a Cyborg which cut his force skills in half

lord vader didnt lose any force strength, he merely lost arms legs and lunge tissue to volcanic heat and light saber wounds.

he crushed the room when he woke up after being fixed if you didnt happen to see that movie.

• apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by zeiden

I think he is both. It's bioware that fucked up by making 2 Jedi classes.  

This. A Jedi is a Jedi. Period.

Yum er there has ALWAYS been two Jedi classes. "Always two nothing more." -Yoda

What.. that's master and padawan, right? Not two classes.

LoL right i caught my mistake and did a updated post TY

Also, Yoda was reffering  to sith and the rule of 2 set by, I think, Darth Bane.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

nah thats the way its alway been Jedi-Knight is like a force wielding paladin of sorts, and a consular is more specialized in the force.....but according the Pen and Paper rules no one is taking on Mace Windu cause he is the baddest in the land,  thats why Samuel L Jackson got to play him

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

There are no Jedi classes. Games need to invent Jedi classes to accomodate to the traditional combat rules. Of course a Jedi can be better at diplomacy than combat, but that's not a class. But can inspire one, as in SWTOR and the SW RP game.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

There are no Jedi classes. Games need to invent Jedi classes to accomodate to the traditional combat rules. Of course a Jedi can be better at diplomacy than combat, but that's not a class. But can inspire one, as in SWTOR and the SW RP game.

I think a lot of people forget or don't even know this exists and has for quite a long time. I know SWG designers built from it, I'm sure Bioware have as well.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by graggok

nah thats the way its alway been Jedi-Knight is like a force wielding paladin of sorts, and a consular is more specialized in the force.....but according the Pen and Paper rules no one is taking on Mace Windu cause he is the baddest in the land,  thats why Samuel L Jackson got to play him

Actually, I'd have to agree with Zeiden. Frankly I'm surprised Bioware went the 2 classes route over specialization trees. Most Jedi have been portrayed as persuing both. Honing their lightsaber skills as a parallel towards better understanding the force. Sith are a little different, since they only care about raw power, but while they don't care about balance, they still use both combat and force training to try and achieve as much power as possible.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by aesperus

Actually, I'd have to agree with Zeiden. Frankly I'm surprised Bioware went the 2 classes route over specialization trees. Most Jedi have been portrayed as persuing both. Honing their lightsaber skills as a parallel towards better understanding the force. Sith are a little different, since they only care about raw power, but while they don't care about balance, they still use both combat and force training to try and achieve as much power as possible.

Combat skills come from the Force too, they are inseparable.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

This. A Jedi is a Jedi. Period.

As a fan I don't know if I can agree on that.  You see all jedi start out as jedi true enough... however there are many examples of those who focused heavily on the force or their skills with a lightsabre.

Given that they weren't just a caster or a melee... more like 80%/20% or 90%/10%... not all.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Obviously it was about the story. There is so much to both the sith and jedi that can be put into a story. So two classes allows BW to have two completely different story paths for both jedi and sith. But with a themepark MMO and trinity combat. The more class choices the better. Eight base classes are better than six IMO.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I would say that Obi Wan started out his life as a Jedi, but was forced by circumstances to change course and become a Consular during the Jedi assasinations.  After all, "These are not the droids you are looking for." just does not seem to fit into a Guardians way of doing things, but I could be wrong.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Obviously it was about the story. There is so much to both the sith and jedi that can be put into a story. So two classes allows BW to have two completely different story paths for both jedi and sith. But with a themepark MMO and trinity combat. The more class choices the better. Eight base classes are better than six IMO.

BioWare did not create these classes. They came from the Pen and Paper Star Wars game published on the DnD 3.0 D20 System.  They have modified them a bit, but that is their source. There have been multiple Jedi Classes and Specializations in that game and Kotor to follow for many years. One other class in the Pen and Paper they left out was  Force Sage. If you read the expanded universe materials not all Force Tradtions are Jedi or Sith.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

On wookieepedia it say's, 

[quote]Upon a Padawan's ascension to Knighthood, they faced the choice of continuing down one of three branches of Jedi training. Choosing based on preference and personal talents and skills, the opportunity to join the ranks of theJedi GuardianJedi Consular, or Jedi Sentinel was open to all who passed the Jedi Trials. In addition to their specialization, the High Council could demand that the members of the Order assume military ranks in order to defend the Republic.[/quote]

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."