Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Tanks: A Different Kind of Tanking

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In the Official MMORPG.com Review, our own Adam Tingle takes a look at the tank simulation MMO that's taking the world by storm and divulges whether you should even bother with the download.  The short answer?  Yes.  Read on!

World of Tanks allows us to live the dream. With the click of the mouse, and a shuffle of the keyboard, it is possible to own not just one metal death machine, but six! The collective dreams of boys worldwide has been realised within one piece of software. You reverse back and forth throughout battles, scattering firepower wherever you see fit, and blowing the steely guts out of other tanks. The only way this game would be more suited to masculinity would be if topless women strutted about the on the sidelines shouting "Cars! Fighting! Pie!"

Read all of MMORPG.com's Official World of Tanks Review.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

one major correction-- you dont earn gold from converting exp, gold is used to convert exp but the only way to earn gold is to buy it for real money, win it in a contest, play clan wars and hold territories which only works if you are the top clans in the game because they set clan wars up where only the biggest clans can compete.

I played this game for a while, nearly a year, kind of burned out right now and there are some problems with the game, but the game is/was alot of fun.

gold ammo and hit box skins kind of got me burned out on it though, ill check it out in a few months again to see if anything changed.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is a fun game, but the clan wars are a joke, only the clans with the big spenders have any chance.  You can play for free, but it really limits you in this game.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

"Cars! Fighting! Pie!"

Giggled my ass off! :D

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Its ok , but I rather prefer team fortress or counter strike.   Why its being covered as an mmo when its clearly a co-op with a chat lobby is beyond me.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Admitedly I haven't tried this out but having A WWII based tactical wargame where the only playing pieces are tanks is kinda like playing an old school D&D game where the only character type allowed in the game is a halfling rogue.

You're actualy missing about 8/10th's of the tactics/strategy involved in WWII combat...and skewing it pretty badly. WWII combat was all about combined arms....and most of the strategy, tactics & systems developed for it....including those developed by the Armor arm were about facing different sorts of threats. Tanks without infantry, AT Guns, Artillery, Air Power, etc makes for less then half a game.

Heck the whole US armor strategy for pretty much the entire war was that tanks were NOT intended to engage enemy armor. They weren't designed or built for that. That role was intended for dedicated AT weapons (initialy towed AT Guns, later augmented by TD's)...not sure how the game could even cope with that design difference. It wasn't until the M26 came out (with only a few months left in the War in Europe) that the US had a tank which was primarly designed to deal with enemy armor. Earlier estimates were that it took about 5 Shermans to engage and defeat a single Panther. How could the game deal with something like that?

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by erictlewis
    Its ok , but I rather prefer team fortress or counter strike.   Why its being covered as an mmo when its clearly a co-op with a chat lobby is beyond me.

Agree

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Couldn't dis-agree more with this review. All over-hyped. All numbers much too positive. Not going to waste my time going into any details as I have little doubt post would simply be removed for daring to say anything not sparkling-positive. I so very much wish some other company would do a real MMO with tanks. A pity that World War II online hasn't been more successful it would have been a logical place to see a real MMO with integrated tanks. I imagine some day someone will build something much better.

• SkeeSkeeSkeeSkee Member UncommonPosts: 129

I couldn't AGREE more with this review.  It's definitely not for everyone, but for me, I've highly addicted to this game!!  The learning curve isn't really bad at all, but it does take time to master.  You will NOT be a good player at all when you first start out, so don't get hung up on trying to be the best.  Just try to do your best, and observe what others are doing.  Learn from your mistakes and read their main forums for tips.  Feel free to ask questions there too. 

It's a really fun game if you don't make it to competitive at the begining.  Just try to have fun and you'll have a blast.   Save the seriousness for later on in the game, when you get heavier tanks.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

i mostly concur with the review. WoT had an extremely long beta period that saw little changed when it officially went live. a previous post observed that exclusive tank battles were non-existent in WWII, and even primary tank-on-tank conflict was limited. but then there are the examples of kursk, some battle in north africa, and aspects of the battle of the bulge. this is not a tank-sim (but has sim-elements to it). it is a shooter that uses tanks, RPG elements, and action to define it's gameplay. many of the tanks (in order to provide greater variety) saw very little action, or never went past the prototype phase of development.  

i'm not sure i found the learning curve quite as daunting as suggested. generally, tier 1 tanks are matched against those with similar characteristics. oh, sure, there may be some that have upgraded everything from engine to main gun, but there are still ways to score, even without firing a shot. i have most certainly never been bored. i admit i've spent actual money on the this game, but the only real advantage to be had that was worth it, was increased rate of experience, ability to shift gold into points where i could research a higher tier tank, and a more attractive garage. seriously, the game can be played entirely for free, and you can still get the best tanks and get your crew trained. it just will take a bit longer. the only significant pay-to-win items i've noticed are some types of advanced ammo, and a couple tanks you can buy, that are apparently a bit better than usually show up in that tier (e.g. Löwe)

so many new people have been signing up over the last couple months, that there are plenty of tankers learning the ropes in the same battles you might find yourself at first.

most of my MMO time goes into Fallen Earth (and the SWTOR beta right now), but i still return to this game often late at night, after a few beers, when i want to hear that big 88 through my sub-woofer, turning a sherman into a smoking hulk. once you learn the dynamics of each battlefield and a few basic mechanincs, it turns into a beer-and-pretzels shooter version of those old board games and if any of you remember panzer general on the PC over 15 years ago.

• IndagdaIndagda Member UncommonPosts: 5

I enjoy the game and play it regularly. I would suggest anyone who likes this type of game to give it a spin. That being said, I will list some 'cons' you should be aware of. 1) Matchmaking: I have seen tanks thrown into matches with tanks 5 tiers above theirs. They are generally light tanks, but games with no more than a 2 tier range are alot more competitive and fun. 2) The Crew: Not a con really, just a note. Your crew matters. You have to get them up to 100% to be the most efficient. You can pay real money or grind them to 100%. Everytime your crew switches tanks they need to be retrained. Then there are also 3 skills you also get to 100%. Very time consuming. 3) Money: Depending on tank class, non-subscribers start loosing money at tier VI if they don't win a match. You combat this buy having 'money making' tanks occupiying some slots in your garage. You only have so many garage slots to start with, unless you pay money to unlock more. 4) Teams: I guess its like most games of this type, you can end up with anything. The clueless, the pro, the griefer, the team player, the afker, ect ect. Making a platoon helps somewhat. If you create a platoon you can join matches with one friend, if you spend money and subscribe you can join with even more friends. 5) Hit Skins: Skins that show weakspots on all the tanks. Not cheating, but frowned upon. Supposedly they are changing some mechanic to make them not work anymore. 6) Tank Moduels: Be aware that only a few modules are removable. If you buy one (they are expensive) it may be bound to your tank. In the future, it's said, there will be a real money item to unbind moduels.

• rinyingrinying Member Posts: 1

to indagda :number 6: yes if you buy a module say a heavy tank gun rammer its half a mill and gives 10 percent faster firing rate and its nonremovable sounds like a lot of money right? wrong. youll get half of that back when you sell your tank or you can remove it for some gold rl ingame money but if you have half a mill your probably already t5-t7 and youll probably be focusing on your tanks getting them upgraded etc. and so you probably wont spend that half a mill just to get a +10 percent to firing rate youll spend that half a mill on a leopard (t4 german light tank its the end of its line but it owns) or save up some more and buy an is-3 t8 russian heavy though only things that would normally be hard to remove are gold costing a camo net 50k will give you 25 percent more camo when stationary pretty good bonus if your a td or spg there are also some that give bonuses for pretty much everything

:4 teams in about a week they are adding a 2 person platoon for free so me and my bro can play together just not me my bro and my dad and there are tank companys that you can join for free just not make without a premi account. 15 person teams with a set limit of tiers that fight each other all in all you should try it

(btw my username is the same ingame) also you can look up anyone whos bragging he has killed 30000 enemys on the website under players gl hf and i hope to see ya on the field :)

and another afterthought they have contests nearly every week they give double exp /credits for nothing for a certain amount of time or make / do this or that and get voted as the best and you get free gold directly (a pretty good amount for first place i think about a months worth of premium time)  to your account and your username posted online as the 1st 2nd or 3rd as a congrats :)

• LyngsLyngs Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by BillMurphy

...but the gold currency can be earned from converting experience...

That is just plain wrong. You can convert individual tanks excess experience into global experience (using ONLY gold that is paid for with RL cash), which can then be used on any other tank. There is no way to earn gold other than taking part in clan warfare or by winning contests.

Get your facts straight. ;)

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Competitive clan members are REQUIRED to provide themselves with gold ammo in clan matches, otherwise you lose. VERY expensive & shadey system when you look @ how much gold each gold round costs, and how little gold you get pet $1.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

The game it self not bad to kill a few hours but if you are looking for end game go find a different game for this monster has huge issues in the end game tons of issues if u don't have a clan of 400 members all with the highest tier tanks you willl have no chance at keeping land might get lucky get 1 chunk but that is about it. also those clans that have 400 members will make alliances with the same guilds so they can control the entire map then you only have 30 or so clans on the map getting all the gold and the small guy gets the crap stick and there are over 1400 clans on NA side and right now less then 3% of those clans own land so yaaaa not very good lol.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

ya and that is the one thing that bugged me about this review , many people will react to finding that out the same way they do to cryptic's super bad instancing games.....so how about doing a real review and mentioning things like that......

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

You can give them 10 out of 10 all you want, for me a game where sucess is based on the amount of money you can spend in it is worth ZERO in my book.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Clearly Wargamming.net paid MMORPG.com for this article. Because I do remember WoT was removed from the site because of it lacked the RPG part.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Meh. This game is a deeply flawed yet mildly amusing FREE game. Its basically a fps with tanks and isnt worth a dime of actual money.

You hop on and just hope to get a match around your tier. More often than not that isnt the case and your one shot fodder for 2/3 or more than enemy team and all your rounds simply bounce. The spotting system is the biggest joke aside from the matchmaker and can really ruin some matches.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Very fun game, concur with most of the review though a few parts have minor errors.  But saw people here correcting those.

Works great as a fast easy to get into PvP fix.  Just be prepared for an overall really bad community, though some people are fine.  Also for frustration at times, it is not a forgiving game if you make a mistake you pay for it in a fiery explosion :P

Also it is much more team oriented than much of any other PvP game I've been in.  You really got to watch what your team is doing and apply your gun at the right time and place.  Also got to hope you don't have too many dumdums on your team who die without contributing much.

Anyways I only tried this because a friend said lets try it.  Had no interest in it whatsoever, now I am hooked on it.  So if you got an open mind give it a try.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Fun game, but it's not an MMO.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

With all the positive press this has been getting (maybe it has to do with the little collectible tanks and the rarer larger remote controlled tanks they have been giving out at conventions) lately I will have to give it a look I think.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

I'd be very honest about my personal review on this game. I didn't enjoy it at all. To say that it wasn't lacking in something is to exaderate. I was very bored with the little to no customization features the game had. While graphics and visuals were average, the experience was blighted by boredom. I'd only play again if they did a interesting revamp to it, other than that no thank you. You can keep your tanks.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• FritomanFritoman Member Posts: 59

I myself played for a short time, got bored very quickly.  There is no tutorial to speak of and you have to muddle your way around trying to figure out how to upgrade.  It is fun for a short time...but after awhile, it gets kinda boring.  And as some have mentioned, it is not an MMORPG...those who say it is not an MMO are wrong.  

• motersmoters Member UncommonPosts: 73

The game lacks if you dont pay premuim grind takes forever after teir 4. Matcmaking sucks after tier 3. Takes lots of cash at high levels to do good in conquest i know a few people who spent over 100 there first month wich i think is lame and the reason i stoped playing. Also the game needs cheat detection badly. 8.1 score is way over rated.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I beta tested this but have not had time to pick it up again.

After reading this I fell like giving it another go :)

During beta the game worked pretty well i never came accross any major game braknig bugs..

Yes of coruse you have to spend cash to get some thing in game, they are a company out to make money so they cant give everything away for nothing, so i have issues with that.

I think they got the rating just about right i might have scored it a tiny bit lower but as i said i only tested in beta..