Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard Grabs for Cash

Comments

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

After having given this subject a lot of thought, I've come to the conclusion that it's a fairly neutral to slightly negative change. It will be a much more negative change if it means that more companies adopt this model. I am one of those players who prefer to keep gaming a hobby that does not involve lots of real money in-game. As long as there are alternatives to having to rely on paying real money for ingame stuff outside of expacs, content, and fluff... and hopefully players will use the ingame currency AH more than the RMT one.

What makes me think it's neutral? If people play the game pretty much on their own without resorting to this RMT AH is will have very little effect on most players' games. Where it would really affect gaming potential is in competitive PvP and especially an e-sport sort of thing. In the latter case, it would be expected that players have the best gear in order to compete, so I think that would exclude any players who do not wish to pay real money for ingame items.

What makes me think it's negative? Internet security is one thing. If peoples' real bank details get stolen because of a porous system, we could be talking millions of people affected... perhaps even worse than the SOE/Sony debacle because few bank details were actually stolen (at least that's how it was reported). Hacking bnet would be like getting the jackpot for cybercriminals. And seeing how things are being tied into already porous social networks and the like, I think there's real cause for concern here. Hopefully, people will think about this and not be blinded completely by wanting their gaming fix.

Unfortunately, I don't see much positive to be honest. It is a grab for cash certainly, because in D2 there was a similar market but one not controlled by Blizzard therefore no potential for revenue for them. To me the only reason why they really put it in was to earn more money. Will this combat farmers and botters? No, I don't think so, not at all... it just makes them more overt. There's nothing to stop them having a parallel market that costs less as they try to circumvent Blizzard. And players will still go to them.

This cash grab is a bit surprising seeing the current economic market. Is it best to try to rip more money out of peoples' pockets when most people are tightening their belts and trying to spend less? Blizzard seems to be releasing ever more expensive products. With competitors like TL2 coming out that will cost less and do not include RMT aspects, I think this could spell a revival in smaller companies taking up where the bigger companies have sold out.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• WakeupgetWakeupget Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by darkogele

i dont care im not gona waste my life and time on singel player game whic will suck my wallet Guild wars 2 is coming out its gona be the best mmo ever whit isngel plaer exp + mmo so FUCK diablo bllizard can suck the bigest c.......  arena net FTW

You doe realize that in GW2 there will be bots/farmers exploiters like EVERY other mmo out?  With a few differences, GW2 will spend tons of csr time dealing with it, spend tons of money on credit card fraud, spend tons of money on identifying cheats etc.  Blizzard will be in a better poistion to provide for ALL its players best intrest by using that money to develope the game further and protect players who wish to participate in RMT.

Further people who choose not to participate in RMT are better off as more of their dollars will be going to game content etc instead of fighting RMT.  Just a question for you how many good games out affectively combat RMT?  I'll answer for you, zero.

Games are failing left and right because they had to spend more money on fighting RMT instead of making content, or advertising or dealing with non RMT CSR issues.   Really I am so suprised that these vocal opponents of Blizzard trying to provide a safe enviroment are not more in tune with what is going on.

I can only think of a few reasons.

1. They are not old enough and have not played enough of these games to realize it is everywhere and it can't be stopped short of ruining the gaming experience.

2. Are people that are going to use RMT just don't want everyone to use it so they can pretend to be more uberz or whatever.

3. They don't live in reality and think that companies can just say we don't want RMT and it goes away. 

I saw a comment above by someone saying how Blizzard is out of touch and doesn't understand what is going on.  Really?  REALLY?  I think they might have better numbers then you on how many people use RMT and how much fraud goes on outside of their company control but still costs them an arm and a leg.  I think it is a more accurate statement to say these people are the ones that are not in touch.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Originally posted by darkogele

i dont care im not gona waste my life and time on singel player game whic will suck my wallet Guild wars 2 is coming out its gona be the best mmo ever whit isngel plaer exp + mmo so FUCK diablo bllizard can suck the bigest c.......  arena net FTW

How did you get your items in D2?

What stops you from doing the same?

Do you want a game with constant big updates like a mmorpg?

Or do you only want updates when expansions are released 1-2 years apart?

the RMAH provides blizzard money, for updates and servers, and you can get the items you dont want to farm for weeks to get. You dont even have to spend one dollar if you sell a few items before you buy.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is really amusing at how many people are upset at this announcement.  Especially since this is the norm in Diablo II.  I know several people who made a decent income selling Diablo II items in the past.  Rather Blizzard get a cut of it rather than some asian gold seller.

I really wonder how so people can be so oblivious to reality.  

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Ozmodan

It is really amusing at how many people are upset at this announcement.  Especially since this is the norm in Diablo II.  I know several people who made a decent income selling Diablo II items in the past.  Rather Blizzard get a cut of it rather than some asian gold seller.

Simply because in D2 the people that want to use RMT didn't have any influence on the people that didn't want. People that was playing normally could just trade their stuff and ignore the all RMT/botting business. But now they just can't ignore it anymore, as it is entirely part of the system, and they probably will have to use it even if they don't want. That is why.

Everything come down to "do you accept RMT in your games" or not. But contrary to Diablo 2 where people that didn't accept RMT would just not go on those phishing site, now they will just not play or buy D3, just to avoid this. Because it is clear that the systel is made for you to use the RMAH as much as possible, nothing is there to stop people using it less than the ingame gold AH, nothing, quiet the contrary. So if you play this game you accept using RMT, unless you are one of those naive people that think they are so tuff and smart they will do without for sure. And yes all the poeple that are naive about how much RMT can infuence and control a game, and think they are stronger and better than those, yes those will try to play the game naively. But i'm sure personally it won't work very long for them.

• rathalas22rathalas22 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I thought about buying this game, as it looked pretty good and I enjoyed the first 2. I wil not be purchasing this one though, just because of this auction house and no offline play. There are games I will like better coming out around the same time anyway.  I used to really like Blizzard and the games that they made. Unfortunately though they grew too big and lost sight of who they were and turned into just another buisness that only cares about making money, and forgot about the players

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I personally find this RMAH to be an absolute travesty, and I for one will not be supporting Blizzard.

To those who endorse this real money AH, think of it this way.  Blizzard said there are two options... one is to keep the money in your Blizzard account balance for future trading (but can never withdraw the money later), or withdraw the money right after each sale but Blizzard takes a cut.  My advice, withdraw the money.  If you don't, Blizzard just earned the $5 (or whatever you sold your item for) from your sale to another player.

Edit:  No offline player / no mods also upset me quite a bit.  This is a slap in the face to all those in the Diablo 2 modding community that planned on making user generated content for Diablo 3.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Drew

The story of the week for the last seven days comes by way of the news coming out of Blizzard regarding the Real-World Money Auction House that's going to be making its way into Diablo 3 when the highly anticipated title hits the shelves. What repercussions will the MMO industry see from Blizzard's decision to go this route? That's what we take a look at this week in our Story of the Week

As we reported and pontificated on already, Blizzard announced this week that Diablo 3 will launch with a real-money auction house where players can hawk their goods for real world money. Let’s put aside the fact that the game will also force users to be connected to Battle.net to play (even solo), and instead focus on the very big story that Diablo 3 will allow item-farmers to sell their rares and valuables for cold hard cash. In the words of Ron Burgundy, it’s “kind of a big deal.”

Read more of The Story of the Week: Blizzard Grabs for Cash.

Were were these stories when other mmo companies put the same exact systems into their games?

Perhaps if stories like thise had been penned when this type of crap first started things would have never gotten to this point.

This article is to little and way to late. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Requiamer

Simply because in D2 the people that want to use RMT didn't have any influence on the people that didn't want. People that was playing normally could just trade their stuff and ignore the all RMT/botting business. But now they just can't ignore it anymore, as it is entirely part of the system, and they probably will have to use it even if they don't want. That is why.

Everything come down to "do you accept RMT in your games" or not. But contrary to Diablo 2 where people that didn't accept RMT would just not go on those phishing site, now they will just not play or buy D3, just to avoid this. Because it is clear that the systel is made for you to use the RMAH as much as possible, nothing is there to stop people using it less than the ingame gold AH, nothing, quiet the contrary. So if you play this game you accept using RMT, unless you are one of those naive people that think they are so tuff and smart they will do without for sure. And yes all the poeple that are naive about how much RMT can infuence and control a game, and think they are stronger and better than those, yes those will try to play the game naively. But i'm sure personally it won't work very long for them.

You can completely ignore RMT, the AH will support in game gold too.  Sometimes you crusaders just get excited over silly minor issues.  I just feel sorry for those not buying the game over this.  You are going to be missing out on a good game.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

You can completely ignore RMT, the AH will support in game gold too.  Sometimes you crusaders just get excited over silly minor issues.  I just feel sorry for those not buying the game over this.  You are going to be missing out on a good game.

RMT has an inflation effect on the 'non-RMT' portion of the market. Botters, farmers, etc, flood the game economy with a lot more items and gold than they otherwise would if they didn't have a real cash incentive. This causes the basic gold AH to be flooded with additional cash as the gold farmers buy up all the good items on the regular AH to sell on the cash AH.

I won't be buying the game expressly because of this. No need to feel sorry for me though, I won't be missing out on anything. There are other games that will do just fine as an alternative, specifically Torchlight 2. Considering that Torchlight 2 will have an offline mode, modding support, class diversity through skill choices, and best of all, no real money cash shop, it actually looks like it will be a better alternative for my tastes.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Ceridith

RMT has an inflation effect on the 'non-RMT' portion of the market. Botters, farmers, etc, flood the game economy with a lot more items and gold than they otherwise would if they didn't have a real cash incentive. This causes the basic gold AH to be flooded with additional cash as the gold farmers buy up all the good items on the regular AH to sell on the cash AH.

I won't be buying the game expressly because of this. No need to feel sorry for me though, I won't be missing out on anything. There are other games that will do just fine as an alternative, specifically Torchlight 2. Considering that Torchlight 2 will have an offline mode, modding support, class diversity through skill choices, and best of all, no real money cash shop, it actually looks like it will be a better alternative for my tastes.

I pine for the days when gamers finally realise that terms such as "inflation" and "Market" have no meaning in a game where money is conjured from thin air and has no flush for it.  In fact...RMT actually allows FOR a true market, as real money is finite and established.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

AMEN!!! Torchlight 2 for Multiplayer/offline play and more specifically... LAN NETWORK PLAYING WITHOUT FUCKING CONNECTION TO MAIN SERVER!

Originally posted by Deathwing980

AMEN!!! Torchlight 2 for Multiplayer/offline play and more specifically... LAN NETWORK PLAYING WITHOUT FUCKING CONNECTION TO MAIN SERVER!

Blah Blah Blah....oh wait...you mentioned offline play.  Spot on, that one.  HERE is a point to make against the RMT that has substance.  Its due to the RMT, I wager, that you MUST have online always...because being able to hack gear into your inventory basically ruins the RMT side of things.  In fact...THAT ALONE would single handedly destroy the games personal market.  So, I'm glad they chose this route.  But I'm not glad they chose this route.  I've said before, I'm a lappy user.  I have a kid...gotta stay near her since she is LITERALLY insane to the point of near suicidal behavior.  You'd think a 2 year old that just ran full force, face first, into a wall would not do it again...and you'd be wrong.  So wrong.  Anyway, I digress, internet does not always follow me around with my laptop...and as such makes it a touch of a detriment to my ability to own this game.  I may anyway, and just use my desktop for it.  I dunno.  Kid IS getting older...maybe she will calm down.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    What's funny is people who spend their real money so they can make believe they are uber in a game.

It's blizzard just taking advantage of suckers

Have a look what's on tv these days, this kind of crap doesn't surprise me at all.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by laserit

What's funny is people who spend their real money so they can make believe they are uber in a game.

Have a look what's on tv these days, this kind of crap doesn't surprise me at all.

You've got it all wrong.  Blizzard will probably only break even, or make very little off this.  Its Blizzard allowing US to take advantage of suckers.  Something I've wanted, personally, to do for AGES. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

You've got it all wrong.  Blizzard will probably only break even, or make very little off this.  Its Blizzard allowing US to take advantage of suckers.  Something I've wanted, personally, to do for AGES. 

It wouldn't surprise me if you end up getting paid in blizzard dollars that you can redeem at the blizzard store. Lol I better not give them any more lame ass ideas

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

No, it is Blizzard taking advantage of us. The fact is that real-cash auction house gives Blizard a fixed kick back fee from each transaction and will cause people to spend more time playing their game. Since you have to go online to do so it means high  level exposure to Battle.net which of course integrates into Facebook and that whole comercialisation of social networking thing. Word to the wise it will all make money for the suits who run Blizzard. I guess in this debate another fact to consider is that the real cash auction house will legitimise gold farmers...folks it is a bit like the US legislature legalising human slavery. 

Originally posted by Illyssia

No, it is Blizzard taking advantage of us. The fact is that real-cash auction house gives Blizard a fixed kick back fee from each transaction and will cause people to spend more time playing their game. Since you have to go online to do so it means high  level exposure to Battle.net which of course integrates into Facebook and that whole comercialisation of social networking thing. Word to the wise it will all make money for the suits who run Blizzard. I guess in this debate another fact to consider is that the real cash auction house will legitimise gold farmers...folks it is a bit like the US legislature legalising human slavery. 

The fee isn't high.  Its probably barely enough to keep the servers which will handle these transactions running stable and constant.  They don't make money on facebook...I don't get what you are saying.  They are providing YOU a way to make money off of RMT users instead of oversea crooks who literally force people to do this for nearly no pay.  In fact...it KILLS gold farmers, the average user isn't going to farm like they do.  They will simply play...and sell what they do not need.  Blizzard isn't taking advantage of you at all.  They are providing you a way to take advantage of the RMT users rather than let all the money go overseas.  Its a service, if it were not THEY WOULD SIMPLY SELL THE ITEMS THEMSELVES.  They could do that, they create the bloody things after all.  They would make 100% profit off that.  They aren't.  They are letting YOU sell them, and charging a transaction fee to keep the server allowing such a thing to happen stay running...just like any other such service provider would (Ebay, Paypal, ect...)

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Item farming kills most games for me (as well as countless others), meaning, I don't enjoy them much when I know people in 3rd world countries get paid 50 cents an hour to "play" a game 20 hours a day, making a mindless business out of virtual items on in-game currency.

These people do not "play" the game.  They work at it.  It's their job.  Other people play the game.  It's a game, after all, and EVERYONE should be playing it, not making it a career.  What this does is obvious if you've been playing MMO's for a while.

You, the player, GET NO ITEMS (of value) or have to fight these people in order to get any share of decent items.  Other players also take the game WAY to seriously, so they farm non-stop as well.  Casual players and higher, are left out in the cold.  Item-based games are rendered useless or un-fun for most other gamers besides these types of fanatics.

Many of the "business" farmers, since they aren't actually playing the game, have no idea what "sharing" is, correct social behavior (or any social behavior) or any concept that they should "play nice" with other players.  They are just like the bots that people write.  Who wants to deal with a bot?  I don't even dealing with real-life people that act that way!

I play games to enjoy my free time, not fight with people over virtual loot.

I'm sick of the constant spamming of advertisments from gold and item sellers, power levelers, and so on as well.  Who isn't?

Also, pvp gets ruined because only those that can afford the best gear will succeed.  I don't enjoy "winning" in ANY game enough to shell out my hard earned money for it.  I think it should be based on skill, not how much loot you bought.

I see so many Asian grinders ruined when these people show up, and other games as well, but especially the grinders.  They show up faster than most players do.

What's happened to gaming?  Being at older gamer really sucks, much of the time.  I wish there was a seperation between gaming and profit, at least after you made your initial purchase of the game, or after you subbed.  I've never been a fan of the pay-to-win model.  I'll sub a game I play, but the nickel and dime approach sucks to me, in every single way, and not just in video games.  I think it's a scam, to be honest.  It's a psycological mind game that people fall for, and I'd get into why, but that's not the point of this post. :)

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

The fee isn't high.  Its probably barely enough to keep the servers which will handle these transactions running stable and constant.  They don't make money on facebook...I don't get what you are saying.  They are providing YOU a way to make money off of RMT users instead of oversea crooks who literally force people to do this for nearly no pay.  In fact...it KILLS gold farmers, the average user isn't going to farm like they do.  They will simply play...and sell what they do not need.  Blizzard isn't taking advantage of you at all.  They are providing you a way to take advantage of the RMT users rather than let all the money go overseas.  Its a service, if it were not THEY WOULD SIMPLY SELL THE ITEMS THEMSELVES.  They could do that, they create the bloody things after all.  They would make 100% profit off that.  They aren't.  They are letting YOU sell them, and charging a transaction fee to keep the server allowing such a thing to happen stay running...just like any other such service provider would (Ebay, Paypal, ect...)

Blizzard are nickle and diming you anyway they can...that's what the auction house cost is a way for them to make money. If it wasn't going to net them a tidy sum why bother to chage for the cash house transactions at all? 

As for Facebook, it isn't a direct charge, but it is a social network link-up designed to get more players onto Battle.net and generate Blizzard more money.

As I wrote above, legalizing gold farmers, who let's face it, will be a significant presence on the cash auction house is making legit a section of the gaming world that Blizzard has previously been going to extensive efforts to ban, they are legalizing this trade in their games and it will likely occur in other triple A Blizzard-Activision titles.

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338

Diablo3 will be region locked and all Chinese farmers will stay within their region. That's where Blizzard will make a ton of money.

I think it will  take atleast a year before a legit bot will be available on NA servers, and problaby a few more years before it is available for sale.

I think hacker/botters will keep their programs close because now they can make a ton of money directly through the game.

Also, Diablo2 was plagued by BUGS. The biggest problem D2 had was duping. Bots didn't supply shit to d2 economy because most botters never found any runes, and if they did, it was mostly UM runes or IST runes. And it took thousands and thousands of runs for any good runes to drop. Most items that were cherished in d2 were the super rare, eth Berzerker %15 ED damage axes which almost never dropped. Also, super rare helms for Hammerdins, sorces, zons, sins, druids. And most of those were duped once they were found.

It took 3 GUL runes and a cube to make an ist and 3 more IST for the next. That's how most folk would get to higher runes, and runewords.

DUPERS ruined diablo2, not the botters.

It also didn't help when Blizzard would roll out a patch every 2 years.

It didn't help that people would scam one another.

It didn't help that people would use hacks in pvp and pretty much ruin the pvp aspect.

I'm a fan of the AH, but not a fan of the real money exchange. They could have left that out and made gold worth something.

I don't mind the internet access requirement, since I only played d2 online. I don't like the idea though that other folk who do enjoy single player and mod support being prohibited.

• WakeupgetWakeupget Member Posts: 9

I will make this short and simple for the people who just dont get it.  RMT is going to happen no matter what blizzard does, that is a fact.   When you accept that the question then becomes do you fight a battle you cant win and kill yourself in the process or do you make money off it?

I would bet my life these cry babies will be buying the game anyways after they dry their tears and relize what reality is.

I am sorry I would rather the game be great and well funded then pay tons of money fighting a loosing battle and let fraud run rampant.

• baguettebaguette Member Posts: 33

i say.. so what? you already could do this in everquest and vanguard with their bazaar servers and on any server in vanguard.

i once paid for 3 months of vanguard game time by leveling up a fast leveling class and selling it for $47 when it got to level 30. 

if i had the patience and time i wouldve sold boats too.

it didnt break those games, it wont break diablo 3.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Blizzard are nickle and diming you anyway they can...that's what the auction house cost is a way for them to make money. If it wasn't going to net them a tidy sum why bother to chage for the cash house transactions at all? 

As for Facebook, it isn't a direct charge, but it is a social network link-up designed to get more players onto Battle.net and generate Blizzard more money.

As I wrote above, legalizing gold farmers, who let's face it, will be a significant presence on the cash auction house is making legit a section of the gaming world that Blizzard has previously been going to extensive efforts to ban, they are legalizing this trade in their games and it will likely occur in other triple A Blizzard-Activision titles.

If you don't understand why a real money market requires a fee for placing an item on the market, then you don't deserve to be a part of the conversation.

And thank God they are legalizing it. Now it'll be average Joes that can reap the rewards of their efforts, not JUST illegal RMT. This will lead to a much healthier RMT economy and one in which everyone can participate in. The only problem I see with it is that I feel that the market is likely to tank into ridiculously low amounts because of the extreme supply vs low demand for these items. You still need buyers that are willing to spend real money, and I believe it's likely that there are going to be a LOT more sellers than buyers.

The only thing that anyone has said that makes this sound even remotely scary is that Blizzard has 100% control the drop rates and real money is involved. They could theoretically change drop rate and do some personal trading based on inside information. This does sound pretty insane though since if they were caught, it would ruin them. And right now they are making a ton of money.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by baguette

i say.. so what? you already could do this in everquest and vanguard with their bazaar servers and on any server in vanguard.

i once paid for 3 months of vanguard game time by leveling up a fast leveling class and selling it for $47 when it got to level 30. 

if i had the patience and time i wouldve sold boats too.

it didnt break those games, it wont break diablo 3.

Well, that's the thing...

You could only do it on the exchange servers. People who wanted RMT played on those servers (which were less popular), and those who didn't played on regular servers.

It didn't "break" EQ2 and Vanguard because there was segregation of RMT. Diablo 3 is similar, but different. Were the option given to players to either play on non-RMT servers that were separated from RMT servers, people wold probably be a lot less irritated, and with good reason.