Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard Grabs for Cash

Comments

• evilwishsevilwishs Member Posts: 2

It. Is. Not. A. Mmorpg!!  It's game to play with friends, who the hell cares if someone buys things with real money? I mean really?! It does not affect you at all. AT ALL. People don't get this anal about mmorpgs having an item mall, this is no different... except that it's not a mmorpg... it's a morpg or just orpg in some cases.

• evilwishsevilwishs Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by evilwishs

It. Is. Not. A. Mmorpg!!  It's game to play with friends, who the hell cares if someone buys things with real money? I mean really?! It does not affect you at all. AT ALL. People don't get this anal about mmorpgs having an item mall, this is no different... except that it's not a mmorpg... it's a morpg or just orpg in some cases.

And I haven't even played a Blizzard game.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

And I haven't even played a Blizzard game.

People aren't bright.  Its a thing around here.  Even when applied to an MMORPG the model presented here is a very good ideal, and one that would not only impact the game nearly NOT AT ALL...but also provide a nice sorce or secondary income for people.  I'd like that right not...im in a seasonal layoff so I have more game time but less money.  This whole thing would benefit me greatly.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Originally posted by Bastyani

What will prevent farmers now to camp places like that to collect all the best items and sell them regulary (this time) on market.

D3 is not a MMORPG. there are only a few people in every instance of the game. Never played D2?

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

99% of the whiners dont know what they talk about.

There is nothing new about this. There were always sites that sold D2 items.

You had to be extremely lucky to get a endgame item you looked for.

Only way was to trade with other people. Either with SOJ's, perfect gems, or on 3rd party sites for cash.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Everyone that buys this game and games like them that are greedy money grabs can thank themselves for this trend. Vote with your wallet people. I will be doing so, I don't buy garbage like this. Blizzard is on my don't buy list now unless they change their greedy ways. Torchlight 2 will be better and have fair pricing. Please support companies that deserve it.

= Bad

Purchase a single player game with online options but required to be online

Auction House in game using real life money

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

I just hope Blizzard is prepared to file the proper tax forms with the respective countries of their players regarding the money they make off the sale of virtual items.  Income is income and the various countrys' versions of the IRS are going to want to know exactly how much money is changing hands.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Far too many are forgetting D3 os NOT an MMO.  The real money aucttion house is 100% player driven, there are no NPC's that player can buy the best gear from,  players need to find these rare items and choose to put them on the real money auction house, they could just as easily use the item themelves, give it to friends, break em down for rare matts or put in on the ingame gold auction house.

Get a grip everyone... you'll be be buying D3 no matter how many of your toys you throw from your prams.

D3 is not am MMO.. stop putting your expectations of an MMO onto D3.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by expresso

Get a grip everyone... you'll be be buying D3 no matter how many of your toys you throw from your prams.

Well now that is hillarious. I have zero plans on buying D3 as I have no interest in sequels that are 90% clones of their original reshelled to be remarketed. This is entirely why Activision purchased Blizzard. It fits their business model to a tee.

If anyone else hasn't noticed yet, Blizzard has simply made a very few games and has been milking those ip's without anything new ever since. Now with Activision at the helm you will never see one ever again. The so called Titan game will not be original. It will only be Activisions dreamgasm of combining the shooter and mmo genre together which are the only two genres they want so to continue bilking money out of ignorant gamers.

After that they simply need to add a zombie apocalypse mode and originality if gaming will be entirely dead.

You stay sassy!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Tamanous

Well now that is hillarious. I have zero plans on buying D3 as I have no interest in sequels that are 90% clones of their original reshelled to be remarketed. This is entirely why Activision purchased Blizzard. It fits their business model to a tee.

If anyone else hasn't noticed yet, Blizzard has simply made a very few games and has been milking those ip's without anything new ever since. Now with Activision at the helm you will never see one ever again. The so called Titan game will not be original. It will only be Activisions dreamgasm of combining the shooter and mmo genre together which are the only two genres they want so to continue bilking money out of ignorant gamers.

After that they simply need to add a zombie apocalypse mode and originality if gaming will be entirely dead.

Nothing is original anymore if you're breaking it down to it's core like that. "Oh it's another shooter, unoriginal." "Oh it's another RPG, unoriginal." So let's be a little bit more lenient with our views on originality.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Dupeing ruined diablo 2's economy/system so much that the first set of remakes on the runes/skills ONLY came about because of it.

Scary to think all those botterss and dupers making profits from selling items..  Although I don't see how they wouldn't still sell it on their own gold farming/item selling sites to avoid Blizzard as a middle man.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Sorry but that analogy makes no sense.  Because DA2 was working right out of the box so i have no idea how it can be compared to missing rocket booster engine on launch day. More like a broken space toilet i would say. You make it sound as if DA2 was a broken mess and didn't even install on your hard drive.

it's working right out of the box...   thats about all you can say about DA2...   it's pretty sad when "diablo 1" had more UNIQUE maps then DA2:D   if you think thats a product worthy of wearing a bioware tag, then there isnt much i can do to convince you from your fanboism....

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by zellmer

Dupeing ruined diablo 2's economy/system so much that the first set of remakes on the runes/skills ONLY came about because of it.

Scary to think all those botterss and dupers making profits from selling items..  Although I don't see how they wouldn't still sell it on their own gold farming/item selling sites to avoid Blizzard as a middle man.

This everyone is the reason there is no "Offline Play" If you cannot play away from Bnet, then you cant bypass the 'watchdog' stuff to make sure you dont dupe your "Grand Bloody Brutal Maul of the Whale" or whatever and sell 500 of them for 3 bucks a piece. You connect to Bnet, duping will be a lot harder (note I dd NOT say impossible) 

Now, stopping the self serving people (Wont use the term farmer because really, you CANT say you wouldnt be playing D3 'hardcore' if you could pull in 300 extra bucks a week.)  from using their website is easy (in theory) just put a little note in the EULA saying you cant use any sorta 'third party website' to sell D3 items for 'rl cash' This way it's there in the agreement, and because it's using REAL money, there are a lot more legal steps to take...."Congrats D3famer15915, you've made 500 dollars this week on "D3purps.org" unfortunately, you are now being sued for millions of dollars" Why? Because now you're 'stealing' real money from the companys. Hell, they might even hit you with 'tax evasion' for not claiming the extra income :)

Honestly I'll prolly fiddle with the "Real Cash" AH in D3...try to find a niche to be able to fill...Maybe find those rare 'pvp' items and toss them up for a few bucks. Don't care if Blizz takes a few nickles and dimes from my 3 dollar sale. It's still 'extra cash' :)

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Tamanous

Activision did not purchase blizzard, if anything it's the other way around, Blizzards parent company bought Activision and formed activision/blizzard however both studio's are independent - you will NOT see a mention of activsion on a blizzard product.

Blizzard have made a few very popular IP's and they have a new one on the way.

Now go check that your D3 pre-order is still active.

• Tamsyn2002Tamsyn2002 Member Posts: 24

Maybe I missed something here but shouldn't  people who decide to buy and play Diablo 3 be more concerned with account theft?  With the selling of ingame items for real currency I see a massive increase in the buying and selling of stolen account information.

• WakeupgetWakeupget Member Posts: 9

I wish Blizz would not put RMT in game.  If they didn't there would be no botting, no duping and no item selling.  If they didnt put RMT in game the 3rd party sites would not flourish taking peoples credit cards, comitting fraud, and using those credit cards later to cause even more fraud buying fake accounts and compunding the problem.

Please Blizzard leave it out, dont take money fromn RMT and use it to develope the game and protect players.  If you leave RMT out this will be the first online game where RMT isnt rampant.   Please please spend all your developement money fighting these guys, you could be the first company to stop them.  Please please spend tons of money fighting the cc fraud that will occur because people are forced to use 3rd party sights.  Please spend tons of money for CSR handling the tons of complaints.

People need to wake up, no company can stop RMT, but they sure can loose a ton of money trying.  Embracing it and making it safe and controllable is amazing and shows Blizz has finally woke up.  I never cared for Blizz much until they decided to show that they truly understand the market.

I bet you half the few vocal minority here against RMT will be using it anyways to buy and sell.  They just dont want it to be visible and they can be identified as using it.  Seriously, if you guys are so special, play the game... dont use the RMT and on top of that sell to those using it.  Show you can play, kick butt and take the money of those choosing to.

Overall the game will be better for everyone with Blizzards decision to have safe RMT.   If you don't like it, dont use it.   If it makes you that upset where you think someone will dominate you because they spent a few bucks, grow up.  You probably have low skills anwyays.

What is said is the guy is dead on right, and you are not old enough to have realized how these games work and how the 3rd party sites work.  If you did, you wouldn't make such a comment.

Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by crazynanny

I'd understand peeps being naive and raging over forums, but mmorpg.com joining them? Oh well never had big expectations anyways. Some things You missed in article or stated plain wrong. Here's my list for that and come comments below:

1. Blizz will give some free listings weekly so casual sellers don't have to pay a dime for selling items.

2. Expecting Blizz to maintain huge chunk of multiplayer servers, staff for them, staff for support hacked people, GMs for banning RMT/farmers and players and all that for one time box sale with no monthly fee was ubernaive.

3. This is not an MMO, but a lobby game. Anyone but hardcore PvP players won't be affected by RMAH if they don't want to. Those into PvP would have to deal with people who bought gear via websites like d2jsp, now they have legal alternative + ability to sell items.

4. No offline play is bad, but it hides a lot of code from hackers and that's one of major reasons to do it.

5. Anyone who seriously played diablo 2 know all those issues and is perfectly aware that everything is a result of blizz experience, rather than money grab.

This!

Sadly it shows many of MMORPG,COM posters and even its staff are out of touch, or ill informed

What is said is the guy is dead on right, and you are not old enough to have realized how these games work and how the 3rd party sites work.  If you did, you wouldn't make such a comment.

• AstrinaAstrina Member UncommonPosts: 46

I have no issues with online markets using real cash. EQ tried this years ago and I thought it was a good idea then too, I just don't think the implimentation of it was good at all.

If I play Diablo over and over and never get the piece to finish my set, then why not buy it?

Yes, there will be scammers and other issues...and I can't say Blizzard has been good at fixing those issues in the past. Look at WoW, how many people had their accounts stolen? Lots. Did they fix them? Sometimes. So, do I trust them to do a good job? Maybe...IF they learned from their mistakes. Personally, I am not so sure they have.

Does Blizzard want to make money from doing this, absolutely. It makes great business sense to add a market like this. Will it control the farmers? No, but it might give an opportunity for others that are NOT farmers to make a bit of cash while having fun.

Will I use it? Maybe. If the costs are too high, no. I have a business mind too and hopefully Blizzard will not only consider THEIR pocketbook. It has to be well balanced to make it work on all ends or many will not use it. I won't gamble my real cash to put something online that might not sell.

All in all, time will tell on this one. I look forward to the new Diablo, with our without this option.

Originally posted by Astrina

I have no issues with online markets using real cash. EQ tried this years ago and I thought it was a good idea then too, I just don't think the implimentation of it was good at all.

If I play Diablo over and over and never get the piece to finish my set, then why not buy it?

Yes, there will be scammers and other issues...and I can't say Blizzard has been good at fixing those issues in the past. Look at WoW, how many people had their accounts stolen? Lots. Did they fix them? Sometimes. So, do I trust them to do a good job? Maybe...IF they learned from their mistakes. Personally, I am not so sure they have.

Does Blizzard want to make money from doing this, absolutely. It makes great business sense to add a market like this. Will it control the farmers? No, but it might give an opportunity for others that are NOT farmers to make a bit of cash while having fun.

Will I use it? Maybe. If the costs are too high, no. I have a business mind too and hopefully Blizzard will not only consider THEIR pocketbook. It has to be well balanced to make it work on all ends or many will not use it. I won't gamble my real cash to put something online that might not sell.

All in all, time will tell on this one. I look forward to the new Diablo, with our without this option.

I think this is a very balanced an honest comment.

What I hope is blizzard watched what EQ2 did and learn from the mistakes.  SOE was a pioneer in realizing you couln't fight RMT and should make it safe and controlled.  What SOE failed to deliver on was conrolling it on the otehr servers and forcing people on to the designated RMT servers.

What SOE failed miserably on was they added the 2 RMT servers but then proceeded to make their game too easy, giving away everything, and making nothing challenging ( you literally just logged on an hailed an npc for end game content spells ).  They thought this would hurt RMT if everything was instant gratification and involved no effort and was given to people so some didnt feel they would rather buy things. This backfired and made the whole game not enjoyable.  I don't care how much people cry they want everything easy and handed to them, deep down they don't.  They like to stand out and show that they accomplished something by taking time and skill.  Others, will buy this same sort of satifaction, but in the END everyone wants the same thing to stand out.

EQ2 made it so nobody stands out, nothing is rare and nothing is unique.  The same drop will come from the same mob over and over.  Crafting is super easy and a joke ( why have it in game if you need to make it so easy people dont realize it is boring? )  There is no LOOK AT ME FACTOR anymore in eq2 ans why it is about dead.   I hope Blizzard encourages people to play and stand out.  Have skill ladders, pvp ladders... unique items etc and doesnt give away content.   Hope they studied eq2 and what not to do.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Well thats just made a decision a lot easier.

I wasnt sure If I could buy this as well as a multitude of other upcoming titles im looking forward to.  Now I can take this one off my list.

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53

For those of you making this a big deal must have not played any of the diablo games before.  People have always sold in game items on-line for money in all games.  Blizzard is in my oninion making it safer and more secure for us that do choose to purchase these items.  We no longer have to give some guy some cash and hope he delivers the items.  We may have to pay a small price but i feel that the security is worth a little.  And for those who do not like this dont buy any items.  In no part of the game do you really need to purchase items.  You can play the whole game just the same. 

• BanquetchefBanquetchef Member Posts: 19

It's kind of like when a shark bumps something in the water, then comes back and takes a bite,if that goes well...it eats it. Lots of new things being sprung on gamers lately.

• Blizzard taking charge of their game material is a great thing to see. People have sold game items illegally ever since their inception. It is far superior now that Blizzard has said we will set up a safe and legal way for our items to be transfered from person to person. This protects the buyer and the seller. I think it is an absolutely great step forward, and I truly wondered what main stream game would step up and adopt this model as we've had a ton of niche games use the real life money for in game items from player to player for a long period of time. As long as Blizzard doesn't introduce their own item shop of you can't find this drop in game I truly welcome this to the game.

• yevgeniiyevgenii Member Posts: 34

A lot of people have SO many misconceptions about how this will work.

First off, it won't be a way to bypass the REGULAR auction house (yes, there is one). You will have to pay money to even LIST your item on the RMAH, which is probably going to be 5% of the buyout price or so, which means you can't simply list items for insane prices. You have to make sure the item will sell.

Second, this isn't P2W. Have you guys ever played D2? You could literally buy a character, fully quested, suited up, geared on D2items.com for cheap prices and that ruined the game. Now know this - the only items that are listed are the ones PEOPLE list, so in other words this isn't P2W, because the amount of items listed on the RMAH will be small, and all can be easily gained with some farming.

This isn't a path of lesser "evil". Good and bad are objectivisms that have no place in this game - D2 gold is as much of a currency as dollars are, and you will be easily able to trade them in for each other once gold selling sites prop up.

Blizzard saw one of their three big IP's ruined by online sites, hackers, and botters. They effectively eliminated the hackers and botters with B.net 2.0 (mostly) and now look to eliminate item-selling sites. This is a GOOD move, expect to see it in future games that are loot-driven (MMO'S). Instead of big companies owning sites like D2items.com that hack customer's accounts, Diablo 3 will have an auction house that is made BY the players, FOR the players, and people can buy items safely if they have the money to spend.