Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General: Blizzard Grabs for Cash

179111213

Comments

  • sldropsldrop NYC, NYPosts: 112Member

    Originally posted by Talin

    Inflamatory article is inflamatory.

    This is just silly now. Let me break it down for people who don't have all the details and are making a mountain out of a molehill:



    1. Diablo 3 is completely instanced (just like Diablo 2) so now matter what anyone else is doing (farming runs, camping bosees, etc), it has NOTHING TO DO with your gaming experience


    2. Diablo 2 had NO AUCTION HOUSE at all, yet still had websites and services for powerlevelling and buying the best items in the game for real money. These services were completely non-integrated in the game and people were ripped off all the time.


    3. You DON'T HAVE to buy from, sell through, or even look at the Auction House. With enough time and enough runs through bosses and maps, you CAN find anything you want - it may just take a lot of patience. The AH just provides an alternate way of obtaining these items and/or selling the ones you don't want need - with the potential of making a few $$$.

    1) im not 100% sure but wasnt there drop limits? like XYZ weapon can only drop once a month. 24/7 farmer bottter/hacker just to make money will get higher chance. No one will be playing more then them.

    2 there was no Ah but there was still items trades going on. GOING to powerleveling and item selling services is wrong. Good people get rip off. Like Wow, get caught buying gold or power lvl u get ban. Thats it, D3 should be the same.

    3 ur right u dont have to buy from AH but that dosnt make it right to have in the game. This just going to be like those asian free to play game Pay2win. If this wasnt D3 title and company Blizzard on it i bet no one will even touch this game.

    Just like free2play game with mad gold farmer the gold farmer control the price of the market so there will be no point  of having AH in D3.

    For those who wnat Pay2win there already alot of game out there and u dont even need to pay 50$ to play. For those who want to make money of this game ....join a chinese farmer company.

    This is a game people should just play and not worry about money

  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Aeolron

    I just don't know if it's a smart move or a stupid one. By turning everyone into gold sellers, the market is going to be inflated to the point that going to the so called " black market sites " will be a way to rectify that issue.

     

      How do you figure this. The law of supply and demand for one is totally against your theory.

     Before Gold sellers had the market cornered they were the only ones able to effectively sell items and did so at inflated prices because they basically had a monopoly.

     Now any and every casual player will be able to sell items  giving a huge supply while most of us simply won't be into buying virtual items thus demand stays the same. Chinese gold sellers will hate this as they will no longer be able to command hundred or thousand dollar prices for what the average joe will sell for 5 bucks. Also note that the OP leaves out the fact Blizzard has stated they will be giving all players some free posting's weekly so if the average player doesn't go crazy post ing he/she will be paying nothing to post and only a flat rate on anything they sell.

      Yes a flat rate. if Blizzard was really in this for a profit they'd be taking a percentage cut not a flat rate. Sure a 25 cent flat fee per sell seems like alot if you sell each item for a dollar. but then if you get really lucky and get a super rare drop that sells for 25 dollars that 25 cent fee is .001%

      Blizzard has stated they probably will only break even something the OP left out either because he didn't believe it like most of the tinfoil hat crowd (ie sure theres no such thiog as banking fees or money exchange fees the money will just go from buyer to seller magically)or simply because it didn't fit his sensationalizem. Fine you don't have to believe in what blizzard says but anyone with half a brain can see that if they were in it for the cash they would be taking a percentage cut.

      In ending if Blizzard hadn't taken these measures thered be rampart gold farming / gold seller spam in every open game by the professionals. Now at least with the AH most of us can go into a open game and not be lagged out by gold seller spam 24/7. We in fact can ignore the AH button all together. Guess people really love their chinese gold farmers though that they want to make sure the Gold sellers maintain their Monopoly

  • sldropsldrop NYC, NYPosts: 112Member

    Originally posted by winter



    Originally posted by Aeolron



    I just don't know if it's a smart move or a stupid one. By turning everyone into gold sellers, the market is going to be inflated to the point that going to the so called " black market sites " will be a way to rectify that issue.





     

      How do you figure this. The law of supply and demand for one is totally against your theory.

     Before Gold sellers had the market cornered they were the only ones able to effectively sell items and did so at inflated prices because they basically had a monopoly.

     Now any and every casual player will be able to sell items  giving a huge supply while most of us simply won't be into buying virtual items thus demand stays the same. Chinese gold sellers will hate this as they will no longer be able to command hundred or thousand dollar prices for what the average joe will sell for 5 bucks. Also note that the OP leaves out the fact Blizzard has stated they will be giving all players some free posting's weekly so if the average player doesn't go crazy post ing he/she will be paying nothing to post and only a flat rate on anything they sell.

      Yes a flat rate. if Blizzard was really in this for a profit they'd be taking a percentage cut not a flat rate. Sure a 25 cent flat fee per sell seems like alot if you sell each item for a dollar. but then if you get really lucky and get a super rare drop that sells for 25 dollars that 25 cent fee is .001%

      Blizzard has stated they probably will only break even something the OP left out either because he didn't believe it like most of the tinfoil hat crowd (ie sure theres no such thiog as banking fees or money exchange fees the money will just go from buyer to seller magically)or simply because it didn't fit his sensationalizem. Fine you don't have to believe in what blizzard says but anyone with half a brain can see that if they were in it for the cash they would be taking a percentage cut.

      In ending if Blizzard hadn't taken these measures thered be rampart gold farming / gold seller spam in every open game by the professionals. Now at least with the AH most of us can go into a open game and not be lagged out by gold seller spam 24/7. We in fact can ignore the AH button all together. Guess people really love their chinese gold farmers though that they want to make sure the Gold sellers maintain their Monopoly

    Gold seller will always have the monoply. They will control the price l..the gold they once control will now just real money. Tehy ahve mor eman power more real money. They can set price for the market. 

    And u bet u wont be able to sell items for 5$ with all the fee and stuff if u sell items for 5$ at the end u get like 1$. There is a fee to put items in Ah ..and if the item dont sell u lose real money. Even if the item sell u have to pay another fee for selling it. Want the money in ur hand? there another fee to withdraw.

    There will be still MAd Spwam!! on gold seller and power lvl. u know y?  They can sell it cheaper then AH price!!!. If u  dont sell through AH u will save more!!

  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Bastyani

    I quit Lineage 2 for the very same reason. Farmers simply camped and owned places where best items (and most expensive) dropped so they could sell them on Ebay.



    What will prevent farmers now to camp places like that to collect all the best items and sell them regulary (this time) on market. And believe me, there is no guild that can fight off these farmers as I'm talking about 100+ organised people who work for their *BOSS* in some shady place.



    People will buy the game. Firstly because it Blizzard and secondly because its probably good.



    But once  realising they cant get items they want simply because of farmers, unless they say hello to the little thing called Mastercard or Visa. Rage quit is inevitable.



    Blizzard, wake up! You are going the wrong way! Billions aren't good enough for you? You want trillions?


     

      its not a MMO. one can simply make a game and password protect it so only you and your friends can play how will gold farmers camp the spots then?

      Gold farmers can have 100's of workers becasue they have a monopoly and can charge hundreds of dollars per item.

      With the rules of supply and demand, everyone of of D3's millions of players can market at least some items weekly for free, thus giving a huge supply. Most will be willing to sell at very normal to low prices as its just a game for them for fun not a business. Chinese gold farmers will not be able to compete and know it. they will try their hardest to over turn Blizzards plan so the Monopoloy returns to the greedy gold selling bastards and remove again any power from the actual player base

  • semajinsemajin Philadelphia, PAPosts: 47Member

    There will ALSO be an IN-GAME CURRENCY OPTION for this Auction House. How are uninformed people this bloody dense and loud?

    Doc

  • arnaki3000arnaki3000 thessalonikiPosts: 66Member

    this was going to happen with or without blizzard's blessings and there is nothing we can do.

    Maybe its better this way

  • shozikushoziku colo spgs, COPosts: 95Member Common

    I've always suspected blizzard of working with the chinese gold farmers to increase revenue.  This is clearly another such venture.  Hey it makes money, they don't care how they get it.  Blizzard made the first stupid move by forcing your username to be your email address, what a bad move.  that gave the hackers and farmers a BIG head start at cracking accounts.  But like I said, I think they're working *with* them and not against them.

    and it was said before but bears repeating... gold farmers will out-camp the normal players that just want to have fun.

    The only way I will play Diablo is locally or on my own network.  I never had an interest to play on battle.net and I never will.  It was more of a poor man's rinkidink MMO, but the fun in diablo was local play, not online.

  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by crazynanny

    I'd understand peeps being naive and raging over forums, but mmorpg.com joining them? Oh well never had big expectations anyways. Some things You missed in article or stated plain wrong. Here's my list for that and come comments below:



    1. Blizz will give some free listings weekly so casual sellers don't have to pay a dime for selling items.

    2. Expecting Blizz to maintain huge chunk of multiplayer servers, staff for them, staff for support hacked people, GMs for banning RMT/farmers and players and all that for one time box sale with no monthly fee was ubernaive.

    3. This is not an MMO, but a lobby game. Anyone but hardcore PvP players won't be affected by RMAH if they don't want to. Those into PvP would have to deal with people who bought gear via websites like d2jsp, now they have legal alternative + ability to sell items.

    4. No offline play is bad, but it hides a lot of code from hackers and that's one of major reasons to do it.

    5. Anyone who seriously played diablo 2 know all those issues and is perfectly aware that everything is a result of blizz experience, rather than money grab.


     

      This!

     Sadly it shows many of MMORPG,COM posters and even its staff are out of touch, or ill informed

  • dtportnoy69dtportnoy69 Montreal, MTPosts: 28Member

    Am I the only one excited by this? I used to sell items on eBay back in the day in D2 and it made the game more worthwhile and exciting for me. Have fun and maybe make a couple of bucks? Sure why not. 

    Each game is instanced so camping is limited to the players in each game. In D2 alot of times you'd create an open game someone would go in and kill Mephisto right away, so camping was a bit of an issue back then as well, but creating a new game and trying again was so quick it didn't really matter too much.

    My only concern is competing to make a decent buck with chinese farmers who are payed to play around the clock. If Blizzard can somehow find a way to block these guys out that would be great. Maybe force chinese players to play on Asian servers etc...

    I like the idea, and I hope they implement this right so us NOT CHINESE FARMER players can make some money while having fun. But who knows...

    It will be interesting!

  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by shoziku

    I've always suspected blizzard of working with the chinese gold farmers to increase revenue.  This is clearly another such venture.  Hey it makes money, they don't care how they get it.  Blizzard made the first stupid move by forcing your username to be your email address, what a bad move.  that gave the hackers and farmers a BIG head start at cracking accounts.  But like I said, I think they're working *with* them and not against them.



    and it was said before but bears repeating... gold farmers will out-camp the normal players that just want to have fun.



    The only way I will play Diablo is locally or on my own network.  I never had an interest to play on battle.net and I never will.  It was more of a poor man's rinkidink MMO, but the fun in diablo was local play, not online.


     

      Simply put 2 million+  average players will out do 20k gold farmers any day. The fact that you think one can camp a spawn point in a instanced game like D3 (which is not a MMO like linage or EQ2) shows you really have no idea what your talking about

  • AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Boise, IDPosts: 800Member

    Originally posted by winter

    Also note that the OP leaves out the fact Blizzard has stated they will be giving all players some free posting's weekly so if the average player doesn't go crazy post ing he/she will be paying nothing to post and only a flat rate on anything they sell.

     

    Here you go


    Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

     

    You make it sound as if players will get free listing for the life of the game that is not what the FAQ says: Please note that we plan to waive the listing portion of the fee for a limited number of transactions per account.


     


    Limited number of transactions per account, not weekly, wonder what that means can you super genius Blizzard lovers explain that to us. Oh I love it, the irony of Blizzard fans telling the people on MMORPG to read up because they do not know what they are talking about, and the Blizzard fans have not even read the FAQ!


     


     


  • evilwishsevilwishs lenoir, NCPosts: 2Member

    It. Is. Not. A. Mmorpg!!  It's game to play with friends, who the hell cares if someone buys things with real money? I mean really?! It does not affect you at all. AT ALL. People don't get this anal about mmorpgs having an item mall, this is no different... except that it's not a mmorpg... it's a morpg or just orpg in some cases.

  • evilwishsevilwishs lenoir, NCPosts: 2Member

    Originally posted by evilwishs



    It. Is. Not. A. Mmorpg!!  It's game to play with friends, who the hell cares if someone buys things with real money? I mean really?! It does not affect you at all. AT ALL. People don't get this anal about mmorpgs having an item mall, this is no different... except that it's not a mmorpg... it's a morpg or just orpg in some cases.


     

    And I haven't even played a Blizzard game.

  • GishgeronGishgeron Princeton, KYPosts: 1,287Member

    Originally posted by evilwishs



    Originally posted by evilwishs





    It. Is. Not. A. Mmorpg!!  It's game to play with friends, who the hell cares if someone buys things with real money? I mean really?! It does not affect you at all. AT ALL. People don't get this anal about mmorpgs having an item mall, this is no different... except that it's not a mmorpg... it's a morpg or just orpg in some cases.






     

    And I haven't even played a Blizzard game.

     

      People aren't bright.  Its a thing around here.  Even when applied to an MMORPG the model presented here is a very good ideal, and one that would not only impact the game nearly NOT AT ALL...but also provide a nice sorce or secondary income for people.  I'd like that right not...im in a seasonal layoff so I have more game time but less money.  This whole thing would benefit me greatly.

    image

  • ArconaArcona VanlosePosts: 1,185Member

    Originally posted by Bastyani

    What will prevent farmers now to camp places like that to collect all the best items and sell them regulary (this time) on market.

     

    D3 is not a MMORPG. there are only a few people in every instance of the game. Never played D2?

  • ArconaArcona VanlosePosts: 1,185Member

    99% of the whiners dont know what they talk about.

    There is nothing new about this. There were always sites that sold D2 items.

    You had to be extremely lucky to get a endgame item you looked for.

    Only way was to trade with other people. Either with SOJ's, perfect gems, or on 3rd party sites for cash.

  • qombiqombi Unknown, LAPosts: 1,180Member

    Everyone that buys this game and games like them that are greedy money grabs can thank themselves for this trend. Vote with your wallet people. I will be doing so, I don't buy garbage like this. Blizzard is on my don't buy list now unless they change their greedy ways. Torchlight 2 will be better and have fair pricing. Please support companies that deserve it.

     

    = Bad

    Purchase a single player game with online options but required to be online

    Auction House in game using real life money

  • DracondisDracondis Reston, VAPosts: 176Member

    I just hope Blizzard is prepared to file the proper tax forms with the respective countries of their players regarding the money they make off the sale of virtual items.  Income is income and the various countrys' versions of the IRS are going to want to know exactly how much money is changing hands.

  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,215Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Dracondis

    I just hope Blizzard is prepared to file the proper tax forms with the respective countries of their players regarding the money they make off the sale of virtual items.  Income is income and the various countrys' versions of the IRS are going to want to know exactly how much money is changing hands.

     Since Blizzard isn't the one buying or selling the item they don't have to report the transaction. That's the seller and buyer's responsibility. Same as E-bay.

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon

    Far too many are forgetting D3 os NOT an MMO.  The real money aucttion house is 100% player driven, there are no NPC's that player can buy the best gear from,  players need to find these rare items and choose to put them on the real money auction house, they could just as easily use the item themelves, give it to friends, break em down for rare matts or put in on the ingame gold auction house.

    Get a grip everyone... you'll be be buying D3 no matter how many of your toys you throw from your prams.

    D3 is not am MMO.. stop putting your expectations of an MMO onto D3.

  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by expresso

     

    Get a grip everyone... you'll be be buying D3 no matter how many of your toys you throw from your prams.

     

    Well now that is hillarious. I have zero plans on buying D3 as I have no interest in sequels that are 90% clones of their original reshelled to be remarketed. This is entirely why Activision purchased Blizzard. It fits their business model to a tee.

    If anyone else hasn't noticed yet, Blizzard has simply made a very few games and has been milking those ip's without anything new ever since. Now with Activision at the helm you will never see one ever again. The so called Titan game will not be original. It will only be Activisions dreamgasm of combining the shooter and mmo genre together which are the only two genres they want so to continue bilking money out of ignorant gamers.

    After that they simply need to add a zombie apocalypse mode and originality if gaming will be entirely dead.

    You stay sassy!

  • rygard49rygard49 Huntington Beach, CAPosts: 975Member Common

    Originally posted by Tamanous



    Originally posted by expresso

     



    Get a grip everyone... you'll be be buying D3 no matter how many of your toys you throw from your prams.



     

    Well now that is hillarious. I have zero plans on buying D3 as I have no interest in sequels that are 90% clones of their original reshelled to be remarketed. This is entirely why Activision purchased Blizzard. It fits their business model to a tee.

    If anyone else hasn't noticed yet, Blizzard has simply made a very few games and has been milking those ip's without anything new ever since. Now with Activision at the helm you will never see one ever again. The so called Titan game will not be original. It will only be Activisions dreamgasm of combining the shooter and mmo genre together which are the only two genres they want so to continue bilking money out of ignorant gamers.

    After that they simply need to add a zombie apocalypse mode and originality if gaming will be entirely dead.


     

    Nothing is original anymore if you're breaking it down to it's core like that. "Oh it's another shooter, unoriginal." "Oh it's another RPG, unoriginal." So let's be a little bit more lenient with our views on originality.

  • zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

    Dupeing ruined diablo 2's economy/system so much that the first set of remakes on the runes/skills ONLY came about because of it.

    Scary to think all those botterss and dupers making profits from selling items..  Although I don't see how they wouldn't still sell it on their own gold farming/item selling sites to avoid Blizzard as a middle man.

  • psyclumpsyclum blah, ALPosts: 792Member

    Originally posted by Chilliesauce

    Sorry but that analogy makes no sense.  Because DA2 was working right out of the box so i have no idea how it can be compared to missing rocket booster engine on launch day. More like a broken space toilet i would say. You make it sound as if DA2 was a broken mess and didn't even install on your hard drive.

    it's working right out of the box...   thats about all you can say about DA2...   it's pretty sad when "diablo 1" had more UNIQUE maps then DA2:D   if you think thats a product worthy of wearing a bioware tag, then there isnt much i can do to convince you from your fanboism....

  • MilanderMilander Windsor, ONPosts: 151Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by zellmer

    Dupeing ruined diablo 2's economy/system so much that the first set of remakes on the runes/skills ONLY came about because of it.

    Scary to think all those botterss and dupers making profits from selling items..  Although I don't see how they wouldn't still sell it on their own gold farming/item selling sites to avoid Blizzard as a middle man.

    This everyone is the reason there is no "Offline Play" If you cannot play away from Bnet, then you cant bypass the 'watchdog' stuff to make sure you dont dupe your "Grand Bloody Brutal Maul of the Whale" or whatever and sell 500 of them for 3 bucks a piece. You connect to Bnet, duping will be a lot harder (note I dd NOT say impossible) 

    Now, stopping the self serving people (Wont use the term farmer because really, you CANT say you wouldnt be playing D3 'hardcore' if you could pull in 300 extra bucks a week.)  from using their website is easy (in theory) just put a little note in the EULA saying you cant use any sorta 'third party website' to sell D3 items for 'rl cash' This way it's there in the agreement, and because it's using REAL money, there are a lot more legal steps to take...."Congrats D3famer15915, you've made 500 dollars this week on "D3purps.org" unfortunately, you are now being sued for millions of dollars" Why? Because now you're 'stealing' real money from the companys. Hell, they might even hit you with 'tax evasion' for not claiming the extra income :)

    Honestly I'll prolly fiddle with the "Real Cash" AH in D3...try to find a niche to be able to fill...Maybe find those rare 'pvp' items and toss them up for a few bucks. Don't care if Blizz takes a few nickles and dimes from my 3 dollar sale. It's still 'extra cash' :)

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.