Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens when someone's jedi or sith gets killed by a non force user?

Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Let's say bioware does make a balanced game (for arguement's sake).....

What will force based class users say when they lose to say a smuggler or a imperial agent?  What if it's a fairly regular event?  Will many star wars fans abandon ship?

Might seem impossible that players would act that way... but in many games I see players who justify a class being OP as it's "supposed to be OP"  SWTOR would be more vulnerable to this than other games I would imagine.   I realize many star wars fans love the idea of being a non force user also... but there are a lot (equal to or more I'd think) that are absolutely in love with being a jedi or sith.

How many of them will handle their jedi or sith losing and not assume "well this game must be crap"?

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

If someone quits because their Jedi/Sith character get killed, I say let them go. At that point, they aren't looking for a competitive game, they want something to feed their ego. This isn't old Star Wars Galaxies where a Jedi could massacre a group of players because the class was insanely difficult to achieve, it's a starting class and if it was as overpowered as you believe some people might expect, no one would roll any other class.

In the context of the game, the characters have to be balanced. If you want to stick lore into it, there are plenty of cases in the Star Wars canon if you dig deep enough of bounty hunters, smugglers, and high ranking imperial officers killing Jedi/Sith. Remember, in Revenge of the Sith a number of Jedi were killed by a mere small number of low ranking clone soldiers, and Yoda was one of few to survive the betrayal. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

LoL,  this happened and happens all the time in SWG,  its called be smart how you pvp,  i don't think anybody is going to rage quite because they got owned in pvp.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Ide agree is your smart about it,and play your class correctly a win is a win.

BH killed Jedi in the movies in #5 in the arena part,so....

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Angier2758

What will force based class users say when they lose to say a smuggler or a imperial agent?  What if it's a fairly regular event?  Will many star wars fans abandon ship?

Might seem impossible that players would act that way... but in many games I see players who justify a class being OP as it's "supposed to be OP"  SWTOR would be more vulnerable to this than other games I would imagine.   I realize many star wars fans love the idea of being a non force user also... but there are a lot (equal to or more I'd think) that are absolutely in love with being a jedi or sith.

How many of them will handle their jedi or sith losing and not assume "well this game must be crap"?

It dosent happen that way.

Force users die all the time and people don't emo.

This whole thread is based on a non existent issue.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

not sure why there is the assumption here that Force users will have that much of an advantage over the other classes, so rather than saying what if..  wouldnt it be true to say that this will happen fairly regularly..  when it comes to pvp, the classes will probably be fairly well balanced. and given the imperial agent/rogues stealth abilities, and most likely burst damage, its likely that they will to some extent at least, dominate in pvp... image

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I wouldnt die, even if they killed me!

and that being said, i dont think there is a piece of lore that says Jedi/sith cant die from the regular peeps? Death is just a regular part of characters lifespan. wether the death comes from blaster or saber or a death start exploding..

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Non force user players aint your ordinary cannon-fodder in this game, not even the trooper, they're supposed to be somekind of elite forces etc. Read into Star Wars lore and history + spin off's and you'll learn that Jedi and Sith gets killed all the time by skilled non-force users. You make it sound like force users are somekind of demigods, but they are far from such status.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

"If you strike me down now, then I'll become more powerful than you could ever imagine"

"Lol, nub"  /deathblow

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by erictlewis

LoL,  this happened and happens all the time in SWG,  its called be smart how you pvp,  i don't think anybody is going to rage quite because they got owned in pvp.

You know,pre-all retarded SOE game revamps,in SWG .. jedi where jedi ... basicly it was insanely hard to become one and aftery you become one it was hard to lvl ,cause if anyone saw you with your lightsaber on,you would appear on bounty boards and BHs would hunt you.

The biggest problem/good thing was: JEDI WHERE POWERFULL BUT IF A JEDI WAS KILLED,HE HAD TO START OVER FROM SCRATCH (as jedi) ... soo yeah ,it was a hardcore system.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by vesavius

It dosent happen that way.

Force users die all the time and people don't emo.

This whole thread is based on a non existent issue.

Really?

Because there's a large segment in WoW, EQ2, Aion, Warhammer, and even EQ1 that assumed a class should be OP because "it makes sense".... 

You can't really see the "it makes sense that my class is OP" crowd getting pissed off that their sith lord got owned by a trooper?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Order 66

Genoshia

and several 100 of incidents in the expanded universe...

Only reason Jedis was OP in the original thriolofy as

A: Very few left, so the defence against them was pretty low

B: They were under estimated

C: The only jedis in it was "hero" characters... Unlike the stormtroopers.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by demolishIX

Originally posted by erictlewis

You know,pre-all retarded SOE game revamps,in SWG .. jedi where jedi ... basicly it was insanely hard to become one and aftery you become one it was hard to lvl ,cause if anyone saw you with your lightsaber on,you would appear on bounty boards and BHs would hunt you.

The biggest problem/good thing was: JEDI WHERE POWERFULL BUT IF A JEDI WAS KILLED,HE HAD TO START OVER FROM SCRATCH (as jedi) ... soo yeah ,it was a hardcore system.

Couldn't you just have your friends protect you?  Never played SWG.

Originally posted by tawess

Order 66

Genoshia

Order 66 isn't exactly a good point.... getting shot in the back by friendlies isn't saying jedi are on equal terms.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

"You can't really see the "it makes sense that my class is OP" crowd getting pissed off that their sith lord got owned by a trooper?"

Not really. And those that do will come back when they move on to the 6th grade.

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Like a few others here, I'm not sure this is as much of an issues as the OP makes it out to be.  The game lore clearly states that non-Force Users aren't "right off the bus."  The Trooper is described as being SpecOp (something militaries typically have very exacting standards for) while it is is mentioned that Imperial Agent is the pinnacle of what non-Force Sensitive can achieve in the Sith Empire.    Subsequently, it is not really mentioned but can be implied that the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler have been doing something to establish themselves as "above average" when the game begins.

In the end, I believe the result of the OP's scenerio would depend on the player.  Mature players would respond "Well Played!" or at least try to think about where they went wrong.  "Lol! I can has lightsaber plz?" players on the other hand will rage and be themselves.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Order 66

Genoshia

Order 66 isn't exactly a good point.... getting shot in the back by friendlies isn't saying jedi are on equal terms.

Getting shot in the back by  a imperial agent shoul be about as lethal... But even if you take it out there are still hundreds of times in both the clone wars and the EU were jedis have been cut down by "normal" people. and considering that this is a time in history were jedis are a military force i am sure that there are special traning for people who have to regulary face jedis/sith.

This have been a good conversation

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

To ordinary people, the mystic of the Jedi is just what the OP thinks...Jedi are unbeatable.  But trained professionals who are not Jedi know better.  They have weaknesses.

It's just like anything else, like these superstar investment bankers.  While many are legit, ordinary people don't know that a whole lot of them are just good gamblers.  That's it, they just gamble with each other to see who wins, but with much more complicated rules than regular gamblers.  Gamblers with a degree.

• StorchedStorched Member Posts: 42

Then we all point and laugh :D

But in all seriousness, if someone is going to rage quit because they lose when they think they have a "god" class then I really don't want them in my game messing up my experience.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Lets see, why are in TOR hundreds of thousands of force users but in movies only few? Someone had to kill them over time :>

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

It's pretty much a given that the classes will be balanced so that they all (force users or not) will be on relatively equal terms (minor balance issues not withstanding).  Expecting anything otherwise is fairly ridiculous.  I mean, if force users were significantly more powerful than all the other classes EVERYBODY would play a force user.

If anyone goes into this game thinking that their force user will just steam roll everyone else, then they probably don't have much experience with any class based RPG game.  I mean, how many fantasy novels are there where wizards are ridiculously more powerful than normal fighters (like, every one), and yet in any fantasy RPG games the classes all seem to be relatively equal in power.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

WoW styled game thus all classes will be balanced and each class have structured 1-2 use functionality.

Guardian - Tank
    Sentinel - DPS
    Consular - Support/Healer
    etc
    etc

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• BanquetchefBanquetchef Member Posts: 19

Yeah,I remember when everyone thought the Deathknights in WoW would be released incredibly unbalanced. They really talked up the "Hero Class" thing,and the trailers made them look like something from the X-men. Blizz left them sweetly OP for a while just for shock and awe,then when the whining started they started the whittle nerfing every patch.Still a class that had some very fun skills. Nothing like jerking someone riding by flagged off their mount with Death Grip when they first came out. Good times.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

With the exception of ESB, at least one Force user died in every single movie... often by the hand of non-Force users.

People with the impression their Jedi/Sith should be uber, leet, and/or nigh invulnerable aren't Star Wars fans, they're Dragon Ball Z wannabes. 

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Just because you're a force user in the star wars universe doesn't mean a non force user couldn't kill you.  The jedi end up being nearly wiped out by the empires troopers at one point leading to the low jedi numbers in the movies.  Its a non issue like someone else said this isn't swg(though I did love that game prenge)  and I would expect balance.

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76

Order 66

Genoshia

Why would an Imperial Agent or a Smuggler fight on equal terms?  They'd back shoot you in a heartbeat, force user or no-- Order 66 is an excellent point.

Also, remember Jango Fett took a Jedi out with his pistols in Episode II--straight up, man to man.  I didn't see any nerd rage in the theater saying Jedi shouldn't die to  mere bounty hunter. 

He also fought Obi Won to a standstill and who knows what would have happened if his backpack hadn't malfunctioned while fighting Mace Windu?