Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-NGE SWG is a lot like Woodstock...

DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

...because there are almost certainly lots of people saying they played during that time period who actually didn't.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

Comments

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Cool story, bro.

I really don't know what incentive people would have to lie about that.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Not me:) never tried it till long after.

The 2 best parts of game for me were, the searching for good resources on the worlds to mine, and the Space game. Ya, i know alot of people never liked space. But was fun for me and i spent quite a bit of time playing it.

But no, was not at woodstock either:P

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by DarLorkar

The 2 best parts of game for me were, the searching for good resources on the worlds to mine, and the Space game. Ya, i know alot of people never liked space. But was fun for me and i spent quite a bit of time playing it.

the best way to weed out the liars is to ask them what happens after you had permadeath

true pre-cu players know the real answer

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

the best way to weed out the liars is to ask them what happens after you had permadeath

Permadeath was removed from the game in February 2004; the CU didn't hit until over a year later.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

Originally posted by kobie173

Permadeath was removed from the game in February 2004; the CU didn't hit until over a year later.

still, any pre-cu player would know what happened after you had permadeath

• Warlord33Warlord33 Member Posts: 79

So what happened when you had perma-death?

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

Well I remember having to walk to your dead body to get your stuff after dying.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I don't remember what happened after perma-death, probably because I spent all of my time dancing in a cantina and crafting until holocrons filled the cantinas with bots. Perma-death, if it even existed at the time, was limited to jedi, which wasn't something that interested me at all. Once the holocrons hit, I moved out of the cantinas and switched to creature handler/ranger, which still had no perma-death. What's more, none of the people I knew or associated with in-game during the early days were jedi; they were primarily medics, tailors, dancers, musicians and image designers, so I'm not sure asking people what happened after perma-death is going to be a terribly accurate test of who was or wasn't there.

Originally posted by Jenuviel

I don't remember what happened after perma-death, probably because I spent all of my time dancing in a cantina and crafting until holocrons filled the cantinas with bots. Perma-death, if it even existed at the time, was limited to jedi, which wasn't something that interested me at all. Once the holocrons hit, I moved out of the cantinas and switched to creature handler/ranger, which still had no perma-death. What's more, none of the people I knew or associated with in-game during the early days were jedi; they were primarily medics, tailors, dancers, musicians and image designers, so I'm not sure asking people what happened after perma-death is going to be a terribly accurate test of who was or wasn't there.

i see your point

so no one remembers the blue glowie dead jedi??? (that never actually worked properly so they removed them)

i do remember going back to your corpse but there was a 75% chance that your corpse bugged out and you could not retrieve your stuff. (they removed that too)

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

...because there are almost certainly lots of people saying they played during that time period who actually didn't.

WTH would people do that?

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I played SWG before the CU, and I have no idea what the answer to that question would be.  Just because you say you played doesn't always mean you played for a long time or participated in the jedi grind.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

That is about the only comparison. It fails if you look at the rest. The major difference is quality of content :p

SWG was riddled with bugs and offered barely content and a skillsystem that looked nice on paper but funneled all players into a few cookiecutter choices. While the major downside of Woodstock was just some mud, but had an awesome selection of the best music of that time. With live recordings that are still very popular.

That's why any musiclover would have wanted to be at Woodstock. While with SWG its mainly disgruntled SWG vets that look back through rosecoloured glasses,that would want Pre-NGE SWG back the way it was. Which only works as long as they dont get to play it again.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Pretty much what SuperZero said, I was a Smuggler/Pikeman and never delt with holocrons other then to deal them for credits, I spent all my time crafting and selling Spice for credits, Slicing locked containers for credits ( Always taking the force crystals if they had them, they never knew. ), Getting paid to slice Armor and Weapons with crafting tools from the highest quality ores to always get the best slices, Slicing mission terminals for over double mission payouts, and dealing Force crystals to hidden jedis for tons of credits, and last but not least selling hidden Jedi locations to Bounty Hunters for lots of credits.

Never delt with the perma death, force users never been my thing, I like the Star Wars Universe from the nonforce sensitive side.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I was there, it felt liked the golden age of MMORPG's and i was mostly stoned

(what , hhuh, "is that possible in a game already ?!", "wau its like live in star wars and every moment i will step onto Darth Vader", "omg i am invited to someone's wedding on naboo", "wth did someone pulled a lightsaber at the cantina and has now all the blasters chasing him?", "wtf is with all the bubbles in the airport, hell a lot of peeps"  and all that) 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I never wanted to be a Jedi. I never did the hologrind. IMO the need to be a jedi made people lose their damn minds. Paying huge amounts of money on ebay for jedi accounts, grinding for months on end and for what? SOE should have never added playable Jedi to the game. It was the begining of the end for SWG.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by someforumguy

SWG was riddled with bugs and offered barely content and a skillsystem that looked nice on paper but funneled all players into a few cookiecutter choices.

For this statement to be true, then "all players" must have been interested primarily in combat, and PvP combat at that. As I know this was not the case, your statement fails.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I played then. . no idea about permadeath.  I think I quit before people even knew how to become a jedi. . best game ever! ;)

The real question is:  In The Realm during alpha how did you cure poison if you were bit by a wolf ? :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• fionanshrekfionanshrek Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by CasualMaker

SWG was riddled with bugs and offered barely content and a skillsystem that looked nice on paper but funneled all players into a few cookiecutter choices.

For this statement to be true, then "all players" must have been interested primarily in combat, and PvP combat at that. As I know this was not the case, your statement fails.

Why would all players have to be interested primarily in combat for this statement to be true.  The game at launch was riddled with bugs many of which lasted until and beyond the NGE.

Now the skill system comment I can't agree with I thought the original class system had something for everyone and can't remember seeing any class as dominant.

In regards to the threads topic though for this player maybe the NGE was like woodstock but meh I don't know if SWG deserves that high of a perch because for many people it was just another game that was riddled with bugs and a lack of quality content.

Many people have lasting memories from woodstock for reasons other than "it was their first concert".  Lots of people are hung up on SWG because for many it was the first time they played a game like that.

Originally posted by fionanshrek

Why would all players have to be interested primarily in combat for this statement to be true.  The game at launch was riddled with bugs many of which lasted until and beyond the NGE.

Now the skill system comment I can't agree with I thought the original class system had something for everyone and can't remember seeing any class as dominant.

I played a droid engineer with a bit of exploration and blaster skills.  I loved it.  No cookie cutter for me.  I also had some medical thrown in I believe.  Also you could change it :)

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I played a droid engineer with a bit of exploration and blaster skills.  I loved it.  No cookie cutter for me.  I also had some medical thrown in I believe.  Also you could change it :)

I stated that part you may have a point on but if anything his statement was atleast a half truth because the game was riddled with bugs and it in fact did lack quality content.

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I stated that part you may have a point on but if anything his statement was atleast a half truth because the game was riddled with bugs and it in fact did lack quality content.

Very true. . in fact the droid engineer tree, abilities etc. was never finshed from what I recall.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Why would someone make a false claim to having played SWG pre-NGE? Simple: Nerd cred. "I played pre-NGE SWG" or "I played pre-Trammel UO" or "I played pre-[whatever]" EQ. There's a certain e-peen factor to having gotten in on the ground floor of a pivotal MMO. Same thing with Woodstock, it was a pivotal event in a time and place that a lot of people would like to think they were a part of, even if they actually weren't (to be fair though, far more people played SWG than attended Woodstock).

Don't tell me you haven't seen people write stuff like this all around MMORPG.com: "I was playing back in closed beta, and...." That's essentially claiming ultimate seniority in the game as far as how long one has been around.

It's not a big deal, it's a video game after all.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

Why would someone make a false claim to having played SWG pre-NGE? Simple: Nerd cred. "I played pre-NGE SWG" or "I played pre-Trammel UO" or "I played pre-[whatever]" EQ. There's a certain e-peen factor to having gotten in on the ground floor of a pivotal MMO. Same thing with Woodstock, it was a pivotal event in a time and place that a lot of people would like to think they were a part of, even if they actually weren't (to be fair though, far more people played SWG than attended Woodstock).

Don't tell me you haven't seen people write stuff like this all around MMORPG.com: "I was playing back in closed beta, and...." That's essentially claiming ultimate seniority in the game as far as how long one has been around.

It's not a big deal, it's a video game after all.

The only problem is I don't know of one single person proven to have lied about playing pre NGE SWG.  In many cases to even make that statement you have to know something  that the average gamer wouldn't know.

• BanquetchefBanquetchef Member Posts: 19

Don't take the yellow pills. Stay away from the yellow pills...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Just the other day, a girl I was interested in straight lied to my face about it. I told her it was over after that. How can I trust someone that lies about having played pre-NGE SWG? I can't. And I won't.

YOU WEREN'T THERE. Get over it. You aren't as cool as the people that played pre-NGE SWG. You never will be. Stop lying to us about it.