Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people saying Diablo 3 look like WoW?

2»

Comments

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by Deivos

Actually that looks exactly the same as the video they showed when they originally aired the barbarian.

You notice how those you show are only night time and dungeon places?

You know, back in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxOUxwkoLyw&ob=av3e

And that is still the same graphics and quality that's displayed in the picture I posted earlier. Again the only difference being you can only see the shilouettes and basic details of the plants in the night, but they're the same models and textures. They still are toony with flat textures and exaggerated forms in most models.

This all being said, still inevitably buying it.

*shrug* If you say so. 

Personally I think there's a pretty big difference between:

(2008) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPwHNaMBqFE&feature=player_detailpage#t=70s

(Current) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdaatil4yA&feature=player_detailpage#t=85s

Is the art style different than D2. Sure it is, but then again I wouldn't expect a studio to use the same art style for  10 years, one decade. I like it. I think it's plenty dark and gritty.  I really can't find one scene in the recent footage that looks like bambi is going to be prancing through the scene.

That being said Art is increadibly subjective. Asking if one piece is better than another is all going to depend on who you ask. 

If nothing else, I'm sure we can all agree that the cinematics are going to be sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhrsIF6ymVE&feature=player_detailpage

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

The differences you seem to be hung up on are as I noted due to different locales and times, many of those scenes taking place in the dark or dungeons, which like the video I linked shows the dungeons looked the same too.

You'd notice at the three munite mark on the second video they have a daytime scene. It looks the same as from the first video you link from 2008.

Maybe you should review that.

And it wasn't the point of dark and gritty or looking like bambi should be there as you put it. The commentary was that it's not Diablo, it's WoW.

And why wouldn't one use the same art style? The visual aesthetic creates a lot of feeling for a game, and by changing even how the game is rendered, you can change a lot of how it is perceived.

Not an argument of which is better. More to the point that they have redefined what Diablo is, and to people who actually liked Diablo 1/2 that means they are no longer getting a Diablo game.

And the cinematics in Bilzzard games has always been good. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202

They went for a more stylizard art style.  IMO, it looks way better now than it did then.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by Damage99

They went for a more stylizard art style.  IMO, it looks way better now than it did then.

It's not true to the franchise though. Diablo 1 and 2 did not have stylized graphics, they had a gothic and gruesome art direction; Diablo 3 has none of that.

The gothic feel of the franchise is completely gone in D3 and while it still has plenty of gore it is not gruesome, it's cartoony. The gory scenes in D3 don't make you squirm like the scenes in D1 and 2 did.

Is it objectively worse? No, but it makes it feel like a generic, T-rated RPG, not diablo.

• LordUnholyLordUnholy Member Posts: 2

If you think graphics define gameplay, you as a gamer have lost your way.

Sure.....the style is radically different. But it's still Diablo. I'm not bothered by it a bit.

Hail to the King, baby...

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Because, to the community now a day's even Call of Duty is a WoW clone...

Originally posted by LordUnholy

If you think graphics define gameplay, you as a gamer have lost your way.

Sure.....the style is radically different. But it's still Diablo. I'm not bothered by it a bit.

And again this isn't the comment that was made, but thank you for making a random quip.

And to note, they did change the gameplay along with the graphics change. Like I all ready said as well.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by Deivos

The differences you seem to be hung up on are as I noted due to different locales and times, many of those scenes taking place in the dark or dungeons, which like the video I linked shows the dungeons looked the same too.

You'd notice at the three munite mark on the second video they have a daytime scene. It looks the same as from the first video you link from 2008.

Maybe you should review that.

And it wasn't the point of dark and gritty or looking like bambi should be there as you put it. The commentary was that it's not Diablo, it's WoW.

Touchie, touchie. 

If you're so upset about the art-style Deivos perhapse you should go sign the "Renewed Artistic Direction Petition."

http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html

Who knows maybe they will go back, and change the graphics for the whole game, if enough people sign it. 

Of course that would mean delays for release, but I'm sure the graphics would be worth the wait.

{EDIT:Dropping my petition comment, because as much as I derive humor in picking on useless things I don't need some one using it as an excuse to take a jab at me through a GM like a git.}

I'm sure I'll get a warning for that or something and it'll be edited...

I'm not upset about it. I'm merely not going to delude myself about it.

I said that there are people that see the changes as too different, and I'm sure many of them are upset. Llike I said I know I'll be buying the game regardless, so you're assertion that I am annoyed is rather pointless and had nothing to do with the subject matter any ways.

Again going back to what was actually being said instead of these fanboy ravings you keep trying to attach to every word, the point I made was that the style was changed from what used to resemble the older Diablo titles to a style that much more closely resembles WoW fundamentally, alongside gameplay changes.

That comment is neither a mark for or against the game, it's simply what has happened.  So stop winding your panties up in a bunch over entirely nonexistant drama when I'm making and correcting an observation.