Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down 300,000 Subscribers

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Develop is reporting that World of Warcraft has lost 300,000 subscribers between May and July, bringing the total count down to roughly 11.1 million subscribers.

This is the second straight quarter that Blizzard has posted significant subscriber losses. Earlier in the year, Blizzard reported a loss of 600,000 subscribers, bringing the subscriber numbers down to 11.4 million.

The back-to-back losses have prompted Blizzard to rethink their strategy. Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime noted that simply pumping new content into the game hasn't been as effective as the game ages due to the increased speed with which WoW players consume the new content.

While Blizzard attributes most of the losses to content gaps they have taken a number of steps this year to spur growth. Earlier this year, Blizzard launched Cataclysm in China, and also went on to launch of the World of Warcraft: Starter Edition, which allows players to play free for as long as they want up to level 20.

Read the full story over at Develop.

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

good thing they have the f2p part or the lost would have been way worst lol

• thedrakonthedrakon Member UncommonPosts: 213

The cataclism quest was awesome. The raid, wich is the part I usually prefer was pretty boring. The daily quest is a plague in the current trend of mmorpg. I seriously hate Daily quest and it's what push me out of WoW

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

I just wonder how many of those 11.1M are *paying* subs...?

blizzard can turn this around easy :just balance server so that rage of fire daily are balanced (while staying like it is now)and they ll get million of player back ,yes those daily are insanelly addictive and fun but only if the faction are balanced!

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

They need to overwork the graphics, thats all.

Of couse optional, so the low spec pc games can still play with the old graphics.

I think it will come with next expantion.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

more importantly, who cares?

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

Blizzard is so out of touch it's not even funny. This is going to continue to happen.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

So Blizzard.... let's not admit that a good number of people stopped subscribing because of the failed (major) talent tree adjustment and revamp of all the classes, or the imbalanced pvp it offers that has never been adjusted right. I know personally speaking those 2 factors has been my main reason for not playing WoW lately. I have played for close to 6 years and have enjoyed myself in Azeroth and beyond, but I consantly get frustrated when there is this promise of balancing talents and classes to come back and find it worse than before. Maybe I am the only one out there that feels this way, but I think not !

• Infestation2Infestation2 Member Posts: 3

They're losing subscribers because they keep pumping out the same old crap over and over and over again. Adding new grinding tasks doesnt make a game fun, it makes it BORING! DAILIES ARE BORING! And they keep adding them under the sad delusion that its fun, and that this is what people want. new content is good when its real content, but when its a dozen more daily quest grinds to complete, its a joke. WoW is at its end, and their subs will only continue to plumit from here, especially when SWTOR comes out.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

First...show me these numbers what sources brah?

graphic?lol it is all optional in their submenu of game you can crank this to insanelly nice look better have a strong computer tho!

• LauZaIMLauZaIM Member Posts: 46

Too bad only 5 mil or so are actual monthly subscribers. That means it's 4.1 mil now. Soon to be less when TOR launches.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

HAHAHA!

'nuff said.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

God, you people are so out of touch with reality.  All the reasons you give for this loss are things that have been said forever and none of them have ever impacted the subs.  The reality is, the game is old.  MMO's do not retain players forever.  They have a definite lifetime, just as any game does.  Comparitively, the FPS world suffers this nearly yearly as new great games hit and others fade from view.

WoW has finally reached its sunset period.  It won't die, no...thats not really realistic.  It will probably lose up to half its players, and retain those for several years more.  Worst case scenario for that game is 25% retention...and even that would be considered a landslide success by even the most succesful standards today.  Blizzard is prepared for this, I bet you that we start hearing more about the new mmo they were developing now.  Its probably not far from announced beta, to coincide with this period.

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by LauZaIM

Too bad only 5 mil or so are actual monthly subscribers. That means it's 4.1 mil now. Soon to be less when TOR launches.

If your gonna post totla garbage like that then post facts to back yourself and not look like a complete idiot.  4.1 mill?  Yeah whatever, that doesn't even cover NA and EU subs, then there's all the other contries, Asia, Auastalia, South America... 4.1 mill subs my ass.

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Anyways, WoW is an aged game.  With SWTOR and GW2 subs will continue to bleed but will stabilize out later down the road.  Then in 2013 or whenever Titan will release and Blizz will have all their subs back if not more.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Fact is, other than tougher mobs, more races, bigger shoulder pads and more levels, there's nothing actually NEW being put forth, just merely an extension of what's already there.  They need to shake things up or risk losing it all when SWTOR releases.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by darlok6666

Anyways, WoW is an aged game.

Honestly, that's all that needs to be said.  Blizzard's subscription curve is exhibiting the typical deline of an aging MMO.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

"And so I think with Cataclysm they were able to consume the content faster than with previous expansions, but that's why we're working on developing more content."

so... let me see if I've got this straight. Outland released, gave us 10 new levels and probably averaged in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 hours per level in terms of time played through solo content. At the launch of Northrend, Outland content was given an xp increase but gaining the 10 levels of Northrend content also took around 4 to 5 hours per level. The new expansion, while featuring a massive graphics update (in response to those who said WoW needs a graphics update) gave us only 5 new levels of content. I got to 81 in about 2 hours. I got to 82 in about 4 hours just by doing Archeology in the old kingdoms. So the time to level to the new cap may have been (and someone who actually has a level 85 can correct me if I'm wrong) about 25% of what it took to level to cap in the previous expansions, but Blizzard is trying to sell the notion that their player base is just too good now?

Lame.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Well seeing how the game is about 8 years old,the only thing I'm surprised about is that the loss isn't greater than it is.

They're still raking it in
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

If your gonna post totla garbage like that then post facts to back yourself and not look like a complete idiot.  4.1 mill?  Yeah whatever, that doesn't even cover NA and EU subs, then there's all the other contries, Asia, Auastalia, South America... 4.1 mill subs my ass.

He's right. Only western players play per month. Asia pays per hour or something.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by drbaltazar

blizzard can turn this around easy :just balance server so that rage of fire daily are balanced (while staying like it is now)and they ll get million of player back ,yes those daily are insanelly addictive and fun but only if the faction are balanced!

actually that's wrong because there are a number of us who left WoW not because of the dailies but because of many other fundamental problems the game has that the devs simply do not wish to fix even though they definitely know of these issues and they definitely have heard from the player base about them.

.continuous rep grind, instead of adding new items to rep vendors that already exist in cata they continue to add new reps to grind out

.forced grouping is never good for every situation in any mmo, the majority of players don't raid it is only a small percentage that do.

.lack of new recipes even purchasable ones in oldy but goody crafting professions (AHEM engineering)

.no sense of urgency, the storyline is supposedly about the possible end of the world, where are the attacks on major cities, random encounters in the rest of the world

.classes constantly being reworked due to  a flawed system for pvp forcing players to relearn rotations for their class every time for pve

.class imbalance caused by preferential treatment towards magic over more practical attack forms (i speak specifically of the mage being the highest dps last time i played because we ALL know that in real life magic missiles do more damage then bullets right.)

these are all reasons why i left the game after playing for 6 years and unfotunately even though people spoke out against these things the fundamental trouble with the game is simple, their devs don't listen to their majority of players anymore. It's sad really.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

He's right. Only western players play per month. Asia pays per hour or something.

Doesn't excuse the fact that they're still paying and playing...

WoW haters gon hate.
  • JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by tank017

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Doesn't excuse the fact that they're still paying and playing... WoW haters gon hate.

It's not about haters. I still pay and play casually. This is about WoW losing almost 10% of its world-wide population in 6 months and people discussing why that might be.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237

Do i smell a progression server? :P i would love to play some vanilla wow again.