Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back WoW.. I think... Worth trying again? Any race/class or server better than another? - OMG

HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Had to edit this..

OMG, my bad - I was on the battle.net site, then made a new account because none of my old account info worked or could even be recovered.. anyway, I wasn't really paying attention, I guess (I'm I'm exhausted and sick too), and just assumed I could buy Cataclysm for $20... Yeah, I know, stupid.. so I ordered, then while checking my account I noticed this was just for the "original" game.. I already OWN that.. who knows where it is though.  DAMN IT.

Then noticed that I had to pay $67 more, and that's WITH discounts, just to upgrade to Cataclysm.  $90 just to play WoW for 1 month?  What?  Really?  Uhm... NO.  No game is worth that to me.  Looks like I'm out $20.00 for nothing.  YAY me!

---

I haven't played the official servers in many, many years...  Might give it a go again.

I have played private servers a decent amount over the years... but they are so different from the real thing.

I liked the Worgen (?) race, but I haven't really read good things about it here.. Does race matter much?  I like casters, in general, mostly damage, mage types..  Can someone recommend a good class/race combo for this?

I guess I'd like to solo and group as well, so I'd like a combo that can do both.  I'm not much of a pvp-er, but if I chose to do it here and there, I'd like a class that stood a chance at it.. I always felt that rogues, with their stuns were too OP...

I forget the server structure, and I'm sure it has changed a great deal since the game came out, which is when I last played it.  Are there better servers to play on vs. others.. ya know, pvp, non pvp, or better community on one server vs. another, that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

do you really have the WoW itch you absolutely need to scratch?

just play the unlimited free trial (limits you to level 20 i think) untill you get bored of it again in 2 weeks time. seriously, this game is old, dull and repetitive.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

just play the unlimited free trial (limits you to level 20 i think) untill you get bored of it again in 2 weeks time. seriously, this game is old, dull and repetitive.

To you... I am enjoying wow and have been for a couple years.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Like picking a craft, race doesn't matter except for cosmetic appearence tbh. Pick whatever you want to stare at for hours on end.  As far as server the only choice is pvp (gankfest sessions) or pve (mindless quest grind wiyhout a worry of death). Some of the lower pop servers are also unbalanced between horde and alliance so go with a high pop.

As for a class that groups and solos?   whaaaa?    WoW is soloable till endgrind. There are no classes that rely on groups. The state the game is in now is a huge reason some of us vets are bitching about it. I quit cause the game was soo watered down and easy that fear of death while questing is non-existent. Blizz did a patch a while ago (forgot the patch number) that streamlined the skill trees and also made every job in the game op as far as pve content. If you don't like a challenge then WoW is ok. Me and my wife have tested a few servers and I always thought for pvp  Burning Blade or Lightning Blade were high pop with 50/50 alliance to horde ratio (at the time).  Pve we played with my rl friends on whisperwind.

As to the last question on classes, they are all pretty cookie cutter and similar. Hell most of the classes offer the same buffs now for groups so even they have gotten less original and more alike. Play whatever architype you want, none are really more op than the other and if one is, it wont be next patch since they are always nerfing something.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Panther2103

To you... I am enjoying wow and have been for a couple years.

to you.... i'm jelous that you can still enjoy it.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Different gamers have different preference in games, fyi there's still 11mil players prefer wow over other mmo.

To OP, if horde, i would suggest rolling a orc warlock,  good for solo and instance run, however i prefer afflic build, but read on official forums that destro is better for instance.

Alliance? sorry i dont know, never like the ally side :D

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2957166605

just for reference

RIP Orc Choppa

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

I feel that way about just about every MMO out there these days.  I started MMO's when they started, 15? years ago and I've seen them slide downhill ever since... started with The Realm (not really an MMO, I guess), then UO, EQ, AC, etc.. played countless others.

What I miss the most is exploring.  Really.  It's DEAD in most any MMO I've come across.  In UO, you could just equip yourself, and just head in any direction, never knowing what you were going to find.  I loved that.. they drew it staight from the CPG's I played and loved in my teens.

I CAN'T STAND the cookie-cutter unlimited and immediate respawn areas of the EXACT same monsters in almost every game now.. especially the Asian grinder-games.  Imagine if you went to the mall (or anywhere), and saw the same exact people standing in the same exact places there, every SINGLE time you went there... silly analogy, I know..  but you get the idea.

I like the idea that I can head out into the forest behind my house, and I NEVER know what I'm going to run across that day, to a degree.. and with a fantasy MMO, there's even more variety, or well, used to be.. now it's just the same mobs or npcs at the same spawn points, barely wandering around, or just standing there, all the time.

I remember Ultima 6 and 7 where the npc's had schedules would go to their shops to work, or their farms, then go home at night, eat dinner, then go to bed... where is this in ANY mmo these days?

Sorry.. I'm ranting... anyway...

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

After taking a break from WoW for more than 1.5 years I came back and I am absolutely loving. No boredom on the horizon either! The game is fun ^

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by HappyFunBall

I feel that way about just about every MMO out there these days.  I started MMO's when they started, 15? years ago and I've seen them slide downhill ever since... started with The Realm (not really an MMO, I guess), then UO, EQ, AC, etc.. played countless others.

What I miss the most is exploring.  Really.  It's DEAD in most any MMO I've come across.  In UO, you could just equip yourself, and just head in any direction, never knowing what you were going to find.  I loved that.. they drew it staight from the CPG's I played and loved in my teens.

I CAN'T STAND the cookie-cutter unlimited and immediate respawn areas of the EXACT same monsters in almost every game now.. especially the Asian grinder-games.  Imagine if you went to the mall (or anywhere), and saw the same exact people standing in the same exact places there, every SINGLE time you went there... silly analogy, I know..  but you get the idea.

I like the idea that I can head out into the forest behind my house, and I NEVER know what I'm going to run across that day, to a degree.. and with a fantasy MMO, there's even more variety, or well, used to be.. now it's just the same mobs or npcs at the same spawn points, barely wandering around, or just standing there, all the time.

I remember Ultima 6 and 7 where the npc's had schedules would go to their shops to work, or their farms, then go home at night, eat dinner, then go to bed... where is this in ANY mmo these days?

1 thing i like about wow, the old world, is the huge world of kalimdor and easten kingdom, which you can level from lvl 1 to 60 on either side, and because its huge, you have plenty of places to explore.

example, behind dunholde keep , there's a small path that leads you to hinterland.

Didnt know it at first and was dead before i can venture further.

Likewise, coming out from UC, didnt know that turning right is a high level area, and wham! im dead again.

I really like this kind of unexpected areas all around, but sadly, 1 of the things that i hate about the currently dev is they make it so round the mill design, that there's no longer any unknown land, any forbidden land to explore as compare to the old world...

RIP Orc Choppa

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Thats because the target audience for mmo devs are people with low IQ, if you get too complicated you lose your target audience. And that carrot on a stick is fascinating!

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by arctarus

1 thing i like about wow, the old world, is the huge world of kalimdor and easten kingdom, which you can level from lvl 1 to 60 on either side, and because its huge, you have plenty of places to explore.

example, behind dunholde keep , there's a small path that leads you to hinterland.

Didnt know it at first and was dead before i can venture further.

Likewise, coming out from UC, didnt know that turning right is a high level area, and wham! im dead again.

I really like this kind of unexpected areas all around, but sadly, 1 of the things that i hate about the currently dev is they make it so round the mill design, that there's no longer any unknown land, any forbidden land to explore as compare to the old world...

Yeah, that was one thing I liked about the original game.. I could wander around a great deal.  How has this changed in the latest state of the game now?  It's not like this anymore?

Yeah, that was one thing I liked about the original game.. I could wander around a great deal.  How has this changed in the latest state of the game now?  It's not like this anymore?

Well, at least its not like that for the new world of outland and northend, sad to say...

hvnt gone thru the new azeroth myself

RIP Orc Choppa

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Its tricky to quantify the mmorg factor that creates a game that is greater than a sum of its parts. And more tricky to develope such a game when there is crude corporate intervention, and wow has become a victim of the latter..  Years ago it was fun to hear about or discover little used routes or loctions/quests.  Now, well the levellng experience is about making ot quick and painless get to 80x asap.  Now you have a meaningless empty world (appart from dull a to b hubs) and a secret route in an empty world which is now just meaningless graphics - especially when you can just fly over everything.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

horde ?ilidan server(for usa)

by the way it is almost impossible to loose an account with blizzard sdo just call them or use various ways to recover your old account

(unless you were hacked by a gold seller)

• wowlovr4lifewowlovr4life Member Posts: 2

Had to edit this..

OMG, my bad - I was on the battle.net site, then made a new account because none of my old account info worked or could even be recovered.. anyway, I wasn't really paying attention, I guess (I'm I'm exhausted and sick too), and just assumed I could buy Cataclysm for $20... Yeah, I know, stupid.. so I ordered, then while checking my account I noticed this was just for the "original" game.. I already OWN that.. who knows where it is though.  DAMN IT.

Then noticed that I had to pay $67 more, and that's WITH discounts, just to upgrade to Cataclysm.  $90 just to play WoW for 1 month?  What?  Really?  Uhm... NO.  No game is worth that to me.  Looks like I'm out $20.00 for nothing.  YAY me!

---

I haven't played the official servers in many, many years...  Might give it a go again.

I have played private servers a decent amount over the years... but they are so different from the real thing.

I liked the Worgen (?) race, but I haven't really read good things about it here.. Does race matter much?  I like casters, in general, mostly damage, mage types..  Can someone recommend a good class/race combo for this?

I guess I'd like to solo and group as well, so I'd like a combo that can do both.  I'm not much of a pvp-er, but if I chose to do it here and there, I'd like a class that stood a chance at it.. I always felt that rogues, with their stuns were too OP...

I forget the server structure, and I'm sure it has changed a great deal since the game came out, which is when I last played it.  Are there better servers to play on vs. others.. ya know, pvp, non pvp, or better community on one server vs. another, that sort of thing.

Thanks.

As an impartial person that has no bias towards the game, one way or the other,  I can honestly tell you that it is worth every penny.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if you're feeling the wow itch why not try one of the wowlike games out there that might be a lil more fresh to you, while still retaining a sense of familiarity... LOTRO or Rift (both of which i consider in many ways to be improvements over wow, and which cost no money to try for free, or, if you dont mind low population, vanguard.

from what i hear from my old wow bros, if you burned out on it previously, you'll burn out again, just this time with a 90-bone hole in your wallet.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by wowlovr4life

As an impartial person that has no bias towards the game, one way or the other,  I can honestly tell you that it is worth every penny.

I would have to agree. I don't regret the $1200+ dollars i spent on WoW over four+ years. 

Wish I could go back in time and experience from the beginning all over again, but thats what new MMOs are for. 

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

As some have said, you don't have to pay anything to start playing WoW again. And you still get to play with all of the cataclysm changes, if you enjoy yourself up to lvl 20, spend 20 bucks, that will get you to lvl 70... etc

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

I went back to wow recently.. for 7 days to start, then purchased cata.. My only 80 account that had not been sold/given away was a warlock.  Appearently without going into too much detail.. warlocks are quite a bit different, so my experience could have been worse due to that.

Cata is cool, it seemed ALOT less then WOTLK, maybe its due to faster leveling now a days, but I hit 85 the second day of owning cata,  theres a few cool dungeons to experience, but after you get all the heroic badge gear its straight to dailys...

Lots and lots and lots of dailys.. then, after 2 weeks or so of dailys, you have MORE dailys unlocked to do..

I dont know.. I made it to a few firelands raids with a new guild.. it was fun. In my opinion it was not  worth purchasing cataclysm for a month or maybe almost 2 of play.  I tried starting a few new toons but I cannot bring myself to play thru content I have seen so many times already.  The "New azeroth" is just a modest remodel, some new newbie quests, but after that its the same..

Just my experience.. if you feel otherwise I have no desire to argue about the state of WoW lol :-)

Originally posted by itchmon

if you're feeling the wow itch why not try one of the wowlike games out there that might be a lil more fresh to you, while still retaining a sense of familiarity... LOTRO or Rift (both of which i consider in many ways to be improvements over wow, and which cost no money to try for free, or, if you dont mind low population, vanguard.

from what i hear from my old wow bros, if you burned out on it previously, you'll burn out again, just this time with a 90-bone hole in your wallet.

I would go for Age of Conan, it pretty much blows both of these out of hte water now, and is free (no major restrictions to the levelling experience)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by wowlovr4life

Had to edit this..

---

Thanks.

considering the age of the game and the profit already taken, ofc it is not worth every penny in comparison with other mmorgs out there.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Originally posted by itchmon

I would go for Age of Conan, it pretty much blows both of these out of hte water now, and is free (no major restrictions to the levelling experience)

i never tried it so i couldn't say.  though, i loved the books

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Theres a reason that this gaming is losing subs but gaining profit...

The price for a first time buyer is a complete rip off. I'm sorry but it's the truth. If you're enjoying it and think it's worth it, cool, but  that doesn't stop  it from being a complete a rip off.  Basically 100$ to play a game. That's insane.

Now Blizzard and the players can pretend that it isn't a big deal because you can "buy the expansions as you go", but the leveling is so easy, casual players can reach max within a couple of weeks. So there's really no escaping that.

And not to mention a huge chunk  of that money is going towards content that you will pass by in a day or two (outlands and northrend) and never touch again.

You can buy 5 mmo's as established as wow for the same price. For a little more you could get both gw2 and swtor.

ive been playing it for last couple of weeks, and now that pc's have caught up with the power it needs it is pretty awsome, and actually has a bit of the old mmorg feeling about the leveiing experience.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Love how every WoW thread on this game turns into Flame and Hate...

Trying to get back on track!

1) Goodluck playing any popular AAA title with several large expansions and getting them all for free.  Everquest 2 had a TON of expansions and you had to buy each and every one (including adventure packs) for a lot of money.  The game is old enough now and dead/dying to the point they'll give you most of them free with upgrade to newest expansion.

How can you possibly complain about this?  TBC, WOTLK, Cata are 3 MASSIVE expansions that easily offer a month or more worth of content to explore...

2) As for what class/server to play...

Class - Druid

Why?  Druid is everything.  Melee DPS stealth, Tank, Heal, Range caster DPS...  You get it all.

Server - Look on the forums for a guild to join.  Server only matters when finding a group of people to play with.  And you can transfer your character for cheap just about anywhere.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I just came back to WoW pretty recently and I can say it's not worth coming back unless you really love WoW.  I mean, you REALLY gotta love WoW (probably so much that you didn't quit in the first place).  I just keep getting more bored everytime I play.  I just feel I've been there and done that.  Nothing has really changed in the game. 

Sure I have a few new attacks, the talent system is a little different (kinda prefer the old way), there are 4 new BGs and Tol Barad, but that's about it.  Maybe it's different if you like PvE too, but I don't.  This is the only MMO my RL friends are playing, though so I figured I'd give it another shot. 

IMO, don't bother.  I was hoping this would hold me over until GW2 came out, but I have a feeling it won't.  I'm just not into the dailies and the pokemon mount shit. 

I will say this, though.  The Worgens are the coolest looking race on the Alliance side.  I do like having a double sprint (sprint for rogue + worgen racial... forgot what it's called), and being able to go into mount form

On a side note.  I also noticed that Hunters have something called Camoflauge that seems to work exactly like Shadow Meld.  I don't like that.  That's what made NE hunters special, now any hunter has it. 

------------------

Edit: oh yeah.  I had to create a brand new account myself.  There was an offer on the Blizzard store to get all of them for about 70 bucks.  It mgiht still be there.  I didn't see it at first, but I noticed it before I paid the $100 (or whatever it was).