Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SWG shutting down Dec. 15th

1234568»

Comments

• herculeshercules lancashire,blackpoolPosts: 4,791Member Uncommon

sad end.if you choose to believe smedley or not but according to him it was the end of the contract.

but even if it is true then you got to wonder how bad soe/la relationship has been in recent years not to renew the contract.

• DJkarlkaniDJkarlkani Henderson, NVPosts: 24Member

I am glad to see it go. I remember playing for hours trying to complete my Jedi. All things much come to an end and it’s the perfect time for SWG to end. I dough that SOE has learned anything from the mistakes that happen in SWG but I will cherish the good times in the game I had.

EX- UO, EQ, SWG Player

Currrently trying out GW and WoW

Holla-At-Your-Boy

• SinfaySinfay anytown, WIPosts: 56Member

RIP, had lots of fun and great community pre NGE on Ahazi.

Superb game at the beginning, will go down in history as how to destroy your gaming community.

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo a small town inPosts: 106Member

Found this on youtube. I havent played SWG for some years but this playlist brought some memories back I have from 2003-2005. The game sure had potential, and its quite impressive so many stuck with the game through all these years and versions.  :) RIP SWG.

(Just to be clear, I havent made any of these videos, credits are due to the maker)

My last day in SWG

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Norfolk, VAPosts: 413Member

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Milwaukee, WIPosts: 472Member Uncommon

There's no doubting that SW:TOR will be light years more popular than SWG but SWG was the far more ambitious of the two projects.  Never played SWG long enough to have to worry about NGE, but it was certainly a pretty interesting community building game... not exactly the model that I would have chosen for a Star Wars game, but interesting all the same.  The Rebellion era still feels more like what Star Wars ought to be than the Old Republic, though the latter benefits from a lot more flexibility and openess. 

• bleed0rangebleed0range New York, NYPosts: 109Member

Originally posted by Vortex5oo

Found this on youtube. I havent played SWG for some years but this playlist brought some memories back I have from 2003-2005. The game sure had potential, and its quite impressive so many stuck with the game through all these years and versions.  :) RIP SWG.

(Just to be clear, I havent made any of these videos, credits are due to the maker)

My last day in SWG

While the videos were good, it just goes to show how dead this game is.  Pretty much no other players appeared anywhere in those videos and that person traveled to Mos Eisely of all places (including the cantina)... how anyone really can blame TOR for it's closure is beyond me.

It's sad though, because the game really is impressive on a grandiose level.

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo a small town inPosts: 106Member

Originally posted by bleed0range

Originally posted by Vortex5oo

My last day in SWG

While the videos were good, it just goes to show how dead this game is.  Pretty much no other players appeared anywhere in those videos and that person traveled to Mos Eisely of all places (including the cantina)... how anyone really can blame TOR for it's closure is beyond me.

It's sad though, because the game really is impressive on a grandiose level.

lol yeah the videos are really nice to look at but depressive at the same time. Those big towns are empty, it used to run players all over the place. if you read her comments on the videos you see she is remembering to have huge parties and a guild. Kind of sad really. :(

You are right about the game, it really was one of a kind even though it got a bit downgraded right after the NGE.

• PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb3cxA4g_U

Thats pretty sad.

• FSE-CamelFSE-Camel Seattle, WAPosts: 32Member

Its a shame, SWG was certainly the best MMO I've ever seen in terms of the systems in place and the vision for the game. Nothing else has even come close IMHO. I just wish they could have worked to fix the issues in the game years ago rather than gut it to oblivion. I played it heavily at launch and before the NGE, then just dabbled on and off after that.

How do you "f" up Star Wars? SOE found a way....

• shadowfax734shadowfax734 tonopah, NVPosts: 1Member

man your nuts if you want to look at a bad sandbox game look at ultima online swg was even in gamepro and most of the majer game compenys was a ground breaking sandbox mmo. The game was sitting pretty on a stable player base intell cu the cu actually started the bleeding nge murderd over 40% of the player base in 1 month.

Anether 25% left in the following 2 weeks.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business Correspondent Orchard Park, NYPosts: 1,114Member Uncommon

Originally posted by shadowfax734

man your nuts if you want to look at a bad sandbox game look at ultima online swg was even in gamepro and most of the majer game compenys was a ground breaking sandbox mmo. The game was sitting pretty on a stable player base intell cu the cu actually started the bleeding nge murderd over 40% of the player base in 1 month.

Anether 25% left in the following 2 weeks.

Star Wars Galaxies was bleeding ten thousand subscribers a month before the NGE. Read, become educated:

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

Check out my monthly column on MMORPG.com.

• BrantocBrantoc Garland, TXPosts: 14Member

I played from day 1 to 6 weeks after NGE. 

The era it was in, should not have had Jedi. or VERY few, but there they were. 

The game began, EVERYONE was a beast tamer, and we called it SWG: Pokemon. that lasted 2 months. then the game settled down.  Up until NGE it was pretty stable. The PvP system worked, and only complaints were from those who could not afford good armor/weapons. I'd of prefered more substansial loss from death with a good weapon/armor, but to wake up one morning, and my Krayt guns didn't work, and my Krayt armor was not effective was a bit much for us who spent a LOT of time and effort to get them. 

NGE truely was the first death of SWG. From what I hear it got better after that, and I did resub for 1 month a couple years later, and was suprised to find my house and factories not decayed. My guild that used to have tons of people had a handfull of active players. 3rd guild int he game (3 days after release, 2 days after our server, Scylia went online.)  I still miss the game. 

• Lost_BothanLost_Bothan somewhere, VAPosts: 27Member

Different people enjoyed the different versions of swg for different reasons, it was sad to see the the ship go down, but i know i made a few friendships that i hope to carry with me the rest of my life.

Originally posted by myork1927

I hope smedley falls into a reactor core.. 

Id say you and i agree partially at least in this respect. i could think up a few different ways to deal with that one, i dont think it should be as easy as falling into a reactor core, should be slow and painful, colorful and creative.  *evilgrin*

• ZagavaVonnZagavaVonn Akron, OHPosts: 251Member Uncommon

Yes SWG is still my favourite game, and I've even Facebook'd some of the players from it, something I almost never do with anyone... image

Even whenh I was playing in the Ultima Online beta wasn't as crazy as SWG's first couple of years, it's a shame that SWTOR is doing so well it sorta implies that the General Public want something a little more Farmville (not even WoW) then a sandbox game like SWG. And if the numbers are right, SWTOR has 1.7 million subs, which is something SWG could only dream of, as much as I'd like to have seen it happen image

1234568»