Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW or Rift?

treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Hello guys,

I am a sandbox player and some months ago I really thought I had finished playing any themepark game for the rest of my life. But after returning to Darkfall, trying Mortal Online, trying Xsyon and Earthrise and being tired of waiting for Archage, Dawntide or Darkfall 2.0, I decided that maybe  having some fun doing group dungeons, instanced and some open world PvP would help me waiting for the games I am willing to play.

I have never played WoW more than 3 weeks (I played it for the first time when catacyclism expansion was launched and left 3 weeks later), and with Rift, I played it after it was released for 2 weeks then left. I don't know which of the 2 to choose, as both are very similar in many ways. All I am looking for is lot of people to play with, to have some fun in battlegrounds and running dungeons, and one thing that will help me choose between the 2 is which one has more and better open world pvp. I would love to be mid level and go to a zone where I can find people from other factions and PvP with them (out ot battlegrounds).

So anyone can help me? Please, avoid recommendations for other themepark games as I just want WoW or Rift for these months, and also please avoid if WoW suck or Rift is a wow clone etc. Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269

No one has any info to share please? :)

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Hi, if you only want it for a few months i would probably go for rift. If you wanted long term i would go wow.

1.The battlegrounds i find in rift are better. 2.The story and lore is better with wow imho.
    3. You will probably find grouping easier in rift .
    4. I personally find rift players to be more helpfull and grown up.
    5. Which game do i prefer... Wow for story, rift for abilities and specs, unfortunately both have endgame raiding which i dont do anymore, but if you are only playing for a few months you need not worry about that.

Seriously both games are great . Both have pros and cons.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Rift, better graphics, more flexibility with characters, imo better gameplay the mass community events of rifts and outside raid things to do are fun.  If you like to be shuffled into raiding and want to be forced into a guild via cheese treats then the wow lab rat run is for you.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd suggest Rift.

The WoW talent tree system was severely gimped forcing players to nearly fill one talent tree before putting points in another.  If you enjoy developing unique builds, this really kills it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I'd suggest Rift.

The WoW talent tree system was severely gimped forcing players to nearly fill one talent tree before putting points in another.  If you enjoy developing unique builds, this really kills it.

+1

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Rift just implemented PvP rifts in today's 1.4 patch, which will hopefully spice things up a bit on the open-world PvP front, which just happens to be one of the things you're looking for.

Other than that, I can tell you from personal experience, as other people above me have stated, that I have found the Rift community to be a tad better and more mature. And the open-world zone-wide PvE events are indeed fun.

On the other hand, WoW has a much bigger game world and boasts both lower system requirements and a ginormous community.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Rift wants to be WoW, so in that case, why not just play WoW?

I don't care much of the soul system.  I think you'll find that distinct classes are actually fewer in number than in WoW despite the heavy amount of customizability.  Most of the various classes per archtype feel almost exactly the same, and for some reason, Trion decided to have nearly every class play like a rogue in WoW or a witchhunter in Warhammer with a heavy reliance on combo points.  Graphics are shiny, but they're uninspired, and I really do think some areas, Freemarch for example, look largely worse than something you'd see in WoW.

Rift does have one advantage over current WoW, and that's the fact that at least there are more than two of the hardest expert dungeons.  In a stroke of stupidity,  WoW awards players 140 valor points for the completion of the Rise of the Zandalari heroics as opposed to 70 from the normal cata heroics, which like Rift, you need better gear to run those rather than the normal heroics.  The problem is, there are only two of them, so they get old extremely fast.  At least in Rift there are 5 T1 dungeons and 5 T2 dungeons.  The problem is that pretty much every dungeon is a dull, uninspired romp through generic caverns or hallways.  Some dungeons are nice looking such as Abyssal Precipice, Realm of the Fae, and Deepstrike Mines, but few of them have that same sense of scale that you get from dungeons in WoW.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

I'd love to say Rift but i think WoW is where you may want to hang your theme park hat for the times you feel like it.

Why? that's a good question I'm not sure i can fully answer, i played Rift on a buddies account (he bought digital then decided he wanted the boxed collector) i didn't buy Rift. At launch though, OMG that has to have been the most epic ride of my life. It was a ride and a half and from what i can tell you need to have massive amounts of players to ever experience that again.

Moving along i dunno, the world was kinda small size wise, and my essential combat rotation was 1,1,1,1,2 ; 1,1,1,1,2 ; 1,1,1,1,2 ; 1,1,1,1,2

Be known i didn't play after the first month as he didn't keep the sub up on that account and he doesn't play Rift anymore either as of a month ago.

But back to the world being small, i mean physically small. Back when they made wow they made a huge world with large interesting zones. The zones in Rift are small in comparison.

With cataclysm I've read reviews mention that the new WoW quest design keeps the quests close and tight like Rift does but the world is too big for this design, but hey this is an mmo, i don't want to feel like i'm in a shoe box, and this just works even better for again as the difference is in wow you don't feel like your in a can or closed in, your feel free to go explore.

Rift designed the zones way too tight, sure the conveyor questing works but the zone was designed way too tight around it. Like the quest is here and there is the mountain of impossible passage. Which really lent to much to a conveyor feel.

There was no dungeon finder at launch, OUCH! big feature missing for my bud and i, but they did bring one in but server only, however I'm sure it will go cross server one day with all the people leaving that i read about all the time.

Long haul WOW, for when you want some them park, and in the long run maybe you'll continue progression over the years, Rift short term blast.

I think i favor WoW over Rift entirely for the feel of WoW has a place and time and you feel like you're in a world, Rift really does feel like a thempark, and a small one at that.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Rift

All die, so die well.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by StormwindX

Rift just implemented PvP rifts in today's 1.4 patch, which will hopefully spice things up a bit on the open-world PvP front, which just happens to be one of the things you're looking for.

Other than that, I can tell you from personal experience, as other people above me have stated, that I have found the Rift community to be a tad better and more mature. And the open-world zone-wide PvE events are indeed fun.

On the other hand, WoW has a much bigger game world and boasts both lower system requirements and a ginormous community.

I was about to say that. THe pvp rift raid concept might actually appeal to a sand box player for a little bit. WoW pretty much everything is instanced now, but they do have Arena's sooo. My choice is Rift for the sheer pace of the updates and quality of the company making it.

• BLrobertsUKBLrobertsUK Member Posts: 8

Hello,

I would suggest RIFT. As a past World of Warcraft player I would suggest to keep clear away from WOW. Where as it used to be a good game, things have gone down hill since Cata, even WOTLK expansions. As for RIFT, it's a fun and fresh game. Has some very interesting things to do, and world PvP <3.

If you fancy playing RIFT, I'm just about to start out a new character myself, so I could show you around. Use this link to sign up for an account :-D

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/ascend-a-friend/invite.php?voucher=DMEP7REZD7HMNKFRCRG9&utm_source=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ascend_invite

Regards

BLrobertsUK

• NytrisNytris Member Posts: 42

Depends how much time you put into these mmo's imho. I've played rift for 3 months and have 3 50's. I've played wow for 6.5 years?

Rift's endgame for me was awful for pvp and pve, but I had a blast leveling in Rift. It was so fresh and fun until I hit level 50. Just pick one of the high pop servers and I'm sure you would enjoy your self for a month or 2.

Rift

Pros

- Hidden puzzels and chests in the world that have a chance to give you a epic (google them for locations)

- exciting class/archtype system. Tons of stuff to try.

-PvP cool maps

-character creation is very good and great graphics

-Tons of world (rift) events to do that make game play very fun in Rift. Some events I did were like 2-3 hours long!!. It was very fun and exciting.

- Has open pvp. Warning not much 1v1 going on the high pop servers. Mosting dealing with raid vs raid, or a very unlucky person vs a raid. There were a few really great 1v1 fights.

- Nice community. Doesn't take much effort to find a guild that you can fit in.

- Some gear looks amazing.

-Raid bosses are fun to learn because it's easy to fight them as you go (gameplay really stresses phases). You have to sorta study wow bosses because there is normally a lot of stuff going on.

Cons

- Stats and abilties are off the charts at higher levels. From a healing perspective your normally dealing with high hps rotations. Very bland and boring from my point of view.

- Gear upgrades are way too high in pvp. A person in the best pvp gear will kill your new level 50 almost instantly, and it takes a while to be on pair with other pvpers who already farmed the gear.

-PVP becomes very grindy and boring due to the limited amount of bgs.

-PVE, the fights don't seem to be too complex. Some bosses just don't really stick out.

- Far more balancing issues in Rift in comparison of WoW. People say there are a lot of play style/archtype choices. This is true, but only a few of any the four classes are good in most situations.

- I got ganked a lot by higher level players. Of course this happens in wow, but since rift is more about being in the "world", than wow is I got ganked a crap ton Rift by players that were level ??.

- Stuck with one UI (no addons). Really sucks for a healer.

- A lot of premades in battlegrounds.

-Fractions can talk to each other in battlegrounds and in game. Which means a lot of trash talking and so on. If you played something like Halo combat evolution you would understand very well.

-Low health pools in pvp, and powerful aoe abilties= dieing a lot as melee/ dieing super fast as range/ aoe fests.

-CC hardly exists in battlegrounds. Most players are immune to cc abilties because of dr rates are wacky.

-Not many deep builds work. You need to mix talents of one archclass with another most of the time

World of Warcraft

Pros

- A lot of content. I mean a shit ton. Leveing might be short, but there is just so much to do.

- Most, if not all, specs have a build that's viable for or pvp and pve. This is something rift really misses out on.

- Pve, Great end game content. Bosses all really stand out, and you really have to understand a lot of fights in wow to do them.

- Pvp, As you level like Rift more battle battlegrounds become open to you. There are a lot of battlegrounds in wow than Rift.

- More gear to be blunt. Rift's gear option is very simple.

- Addons can be used to adjust your Ui and gameplay

- More races than rift and a lot more different armor type classes.

- Balttegrounds are normally more even

- Classes and builds are not that different from each other, but more balanced. IE, dps builds doing enough damage that makes them viable for content. Blizzard really does their best to follow their rule of "bring the player not the class".

- You can "prove" how great you are in pvp and pve I guess. More ranking and so on in wow.

-Very large player base. You can really find a group of players that are fun to hang around with. I've come to known some people really well through WoW.

-Spells/builds/classes stand out more.

Cons

- Leveling content is not always challenging, or engaging. A lot of quests to kill that x times and loot y things. However.. leveling is quick, so if your good at it your not in the same zone for very long.

- Graphics are out of date and character creation is really lacking.

- Flying mounts really remove the pvp factor in any zones where you can use them.

- Elements like ranking and Wowprogress causes a nasty competitive nature in WoW. A lot of people would blame these things to cause the bad attitude that exists in WoW.

- Heroic modes can cause burn outs easily. Repeating the content all over again, but on a harder mod gets really boring.

- A lot of cc and slows in pvp. This can bring a lot of new elements in pvp, but sometimes it's just not fun being removed from the fight for so long.

- Need for professions. They provide stat increases on gear that you may only obtain if you level the profession yourself. If you want to do anything endgame and competitivly, then you better start working on those professions.

I would say to do Rift if your playing for only for a short period to pvp in the low levels. Maybe level 2-4 classes and dump them when you hit 50.

I would suggest WoW if you want to invest a good chunk of  time into a character to see end game.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Wow or Rift? Row or Wift? Makes no difference - same game.

• TbagginzTbagginz Member Posts: 15

WoW may have started to go downhill , but its still a fun game. I can actually play WoW for a couple of hours and have fun doing it. People that claim that Wow sucks now are probably just burned out. Ive played WoW since 06 , and at times i get burned out and dont play it for months. I always come back though.

Rift has nice graphics , runs smooth , etc..etc.. but the game feels so generic. I fell asleep plenty of times at the keyboard playing Rift. Somthing i have never done in WoW. Dont get me wrong Trion did a fine job , and will defennitly give there next mmorpg a go. Its just rift just didnt cut it for me on the fun factor.

I hate to say it but if you want some good open world pvp..Id go with WAR over these 2 any day . Also join the Gorefang server

the action has really picked up on that server.

If it these 2 or nothing i would choose WoW..Trust me WoW does it better ..plus a heela of alot more content.

• PesmergiaPesmergia Member Posts: 75

Don't go to rift, they just royally screwed healing, it's all a dps zerg fest in PvP.

PvE is lame, too easy.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

If those are the only two options you're willing to consider then play WoW....it's the original version.

Just my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Pesmergia

Don't go to rift, they just royally screwed healing, it's all a dps zerg fest in PvP.

PvE is lame, too easy.

Screwed healing how? Please elaborate.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

If you like open world PVP you need to avoid WoW like a plague. Every time I killed someone while I was leveling up they hopped on their max level toon, and killed me. People play on PVP servers, but are to cowardly to actually PVP. It's just sad.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'm not sure how WoW is since Catacyclsm personally (haven't played since early WotLK, before Ulduar); however when I did play I didn't enjoy it because they dumbed down a lot of content and PvP was completely unbalanced.  Sadly, Rift is going through the same problems right now, though their new raid instance is extremely hard (and extremely buggy).  They added a lot more PvP elements to the game, but PvP in Rift right now is pretty much just high prestige Warriors running around killing everything in a few swings (before that it was Mages, and before that it was unkillable Clerics, Rift literally has a flavor of the month every month), if you are looking for fair and balanced PvP you might be better off playing some non-MMO multiplayer for a while.  Raid PvP Rifts didn't add much seeing as most servers have a huge imbalance (Defiants over Guardian) and no 3rd faction means as a Defiant you'll almost always win these with zero competition.  If you want to do world PvP, my suggestion would be going Guardian and getting together a good guild to do it.

I find Rift's PvE to still be better overall.  You'll have to raid to get a challenge now as the "expert" dungeons have been nerfed to easy mode (WoW had the same problem when I played and from what I understand it still does) and even the worst groups can get through them.  The raids still provide a decent challenge when they work.  You can hit max level within about 50 hours of playtime in Rift, and get enough gear to start on T1 raiding in another 50 or so hours.  I think WoW is similar too, so both games are accessible quickly for a hardcore player if you want to do the most challenging content.

You might also want to consider Age of Conan or even Warhammer Online.  Both have their share of problems, but I found the PvP to be a bit better overall in both, and the PvE in both are still decent enough entertainment especially if you don't have any long term commitments to either (neither have enough PvE content to satisify a sandboxer for long).

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by Kost

PvE is lame, too easy.

Healing is halved while engaged in PvP due to Clerics in full presige gear being nearly unkillable (and making other PvP geared players around them unkillable) since patch 1.4.  Unfortunately it was a horrible solution to the problem as the issue was with PvP gear and underperforming builds not Clerics themselves.  The end result is DPS Warriors win Battlegrounds, and at this point it's probably better to go a spec like Cabalist (AoE DPS and CC Cleric since the changes) than a PvP Healer spec like Warden/Sent.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Originally posted by Kost

PvE is lame, too easy.

Healing is halved while engaged in PvP due to Clerics in full presige gear being nearly unkillable (and making other PvP geared players around them unkillable) since patch 1.4.  Unfortunately it was a horrible solution to the problem as the issue was with PvP gear and underperforming builds not Clerics themselves.  The end result is DPS Warriors win Battlegrounds, and at this point it's probably better to go a spec like Cabalist (AoE DPS and CC Cleric since the changes) than a PvP Healer spec like Warden/Sent.

Very poor solution, though not unexpected.

They have a roster of developers that mostly hail from failed games. If I brought my resume in listing a bunch of places I had been fired from, I definitely wouldn't expect to get hired.

Yet, Trion jumped all over those types. Hiring Gershowitz and any other ex-WAR "talent" was a huge mistake.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I would suggest WoW, and it really isnt close.

Its a short time so a lot of that will be the levelling experience, and WoW blows Rift away in quality there.  You have significantly more zone choices, signifcantly more dungeons, and significantly better storytelling and questing flow if you do choose to quest.  The only real problem with WoWs leveling content is it is now too easy, especially the instances.  But when the questing content starts to lag a bit in the 60s, the instances start to get better and the PvP gets better too.

The main problem with WoW PvP for your case, is the lower battlegrounds are ROUGH on non-twinks.  By the 30s this is less of a problem and even less so higher then that.  grouping for any type of content, PvE or PvP, will be very fast in WoW while you may have to wait a bit in rift.

But basically Rift = low content, low immersion, mediocre lore, more flexible class system, somewhat less top heavy

WoW = fairly large content, decent immersion, great lore, fairly strict class sytem but just as much (if not more) play style variety, very top heavy (but low/midlevel instances will form usually within 7 minutes or so and PvP battlegrounds within 3)

community aint that great in either