Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MASS EXODUS! Goodbye EVE!

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Strafingmir

Anyone assuming this has anything to do with SOny is a total Tard, ahem, OP. Dust514 is releasing for PS3 only because of Microsofts horrible and shit quality control bullshit for Xboxlive, which is the same reason Portal 2 players don't have crossplatform. To put it simply Sony has nothing to lose by allowing open content to flow freely, and what would be rival competitors to release applications for their system Such as CCP and Valve because Sony's online support sucks.

Quibbling over XBox vs. PS3 is laughable when they aren't even bothering to release the game on PC.  It's like trying to decide whether to take the Pinto or the Civic to pick up your date, when the keys to the Ferarri are already in your pocket.  Ludicrous.

Nothing says thank you to your fan base, the ones that made you a success, like turning your back on them at your first opportunity.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Unlight

For my part, I tried EVE, didn't enjoy it, then left.  BUT, I really respected CCP for what they accomplished and thought they'd brought something totally unique to the MMO world.  Unfortunately, recent events have made me question the philosophy of this company at a fundamental level, so much so that now I'm questioning even giving World of Darkness a look.  I was never going to be an EVE subscriber, even without this fiasco, but now I have serious reservations about ever being a CCP customer again.

Ever see a sci-fi movie or TV show where someone destroys a robot by saying something to it that is so ludicrous, so illogical and uninformed, that the robot can't compute the words and it short circuits soon after? Maybe some smoke and sparks even come out of it. 

What you wrote is the same ballpark of ridiculousness, except that it has a more distinct troll-like quality. Recent events have made you question the philosophy of a company whose game you barely played, and never plan to? Really? Reeeally? Don't know if you can get much more drama queen than that. What, pray tell, makes you question CCP in this manner? I mean, EVE still has internet spaceships, a single-shard universe, 40K+ concurrent daily players, plenty of pew pew, free expansions, plans for improving null sec and pos'es, and eventually full-fledged WiS.  Where is the problem with that?

Is it CCP's sometimes poor communication that bothers you? Well, you have a point there. They certainly could have been more quickly forthcoming about the recent issues. But eventually they did address the nerd rage, and quite well. How often do other companies fly out players to their HQ to discuss the game and its future direction? My guess is not freakin' often. If anything, CCP's response has given me *more* faith in their core philosophy, not less.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Anyone assuming this has anything to do with SOny is a total Tard, ahem, OP. Dust514 is releasing for PS3 only because of Microsofts horrible and shit quality control bullshit for Xboxlive, which is the same reason Portal 2 players don't have crossplatform. To put it simply Sony has nothing to lose by allowing open content to flow freely, and what would be rival competitors to release applications for their system Such as CCP and Valve because Sony's online support sucks.

Quibbling over XBox vs. PS3 is laughable when they aren't even bothering to release the game on PC.  It's like trying to decide whether to take the Pinto or the Civic to pick up your date, when the keys to the Ferarri are already in your pocket.  Ludicrous.

Nothing says thank you to your fan base, the ones that made you a success, like turning your back on them at your first opportunity.

I'd love for it to be on the PC, I'd have it hacked within a month, which sadly will be too slow considering I suck at hacking. the people who do it far better then me will have all the aim bots and stuff done way quicker and they'd have a much larger market for their hacks considering it would have a much larger impact then just rankings. Sure the controls aren't the greatest on a console but they are a lot more of a pain to hack.

• lykkenlykken Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by xpowderx

I see the MASS EXODUS is continuing. Many are leaving for that uhh. other game!

Tsk, tsk.. Monocles anyone?

I erased EVE from my hard Drive today. It wont be coming back.

CCP no longer cares about its player base,its true! Especially after the comments CCP made.

When you have a game that ignores its player base all for the $$$$. Its time to move on.. As such I did. Along with some friends.. Goon,BCINC, RF, .. yup.. we are all leaving.

Thanks CCP!

Pfft, the only one who is leaving is you, if you even play this game. Just by the look of your avatar and you childish behavior I hope you never played EVE.

I do hope that you are under the age of 15, that's the only one, and ofc the idiots who find that movie any good. its "so called" philosophy is so shallow that you can find better in marvel comics. So... bye bye

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Boardwalker

For my part, I tried EVE, didn't enjoy it, then left.  BUT, I really respected CCP for what they accomplished and thought they'd brought something totally unique to the MMO world.  Unfortunately, recent events have made me question the philosophy of this company at a fundamental level, so much so that now I'm questioning even giving World of Darkness a look.  I was never going to be an EVE subscriber, even without this fiasco, but now I have serious reservations about ever being a CCP customer again.

Ever see a sci-fi movie or TV show where someone destroys a robot by saying something to it that is so ludicrous, so illogical and uninformed, that the robot can't compute the words and it short circuits soon after? Maybe some smoke and sparks even come out of it. 

What you wrote is the same ballpark of ridiculousness, except that it has a more distinct troll-like quality. Recent events have made you question the philosophy of a company whose game you barely played, and never plan to? Really? Reeeally? Don't know if you can get much more drama queen than that. What, pray tell, makes you question CCP in this manner? I mean, EVE still has internet spaceships, a single-shard universe, 40K+ concurrent daily players, plenty of pew pew, free expansions, plans for improving null sec and pos'es, and eventually full-fledged WiS.  Where is the problem with that?

Is it CCP's sometimes poor communication that bothers you? Well, you have a point there. They certainly could have been more quickly forthcoming about the recent issues. But eventually they did address the nerd rage, and quite well. How often do other companies fly out players to their HQ to discuss the game and its future direction? My guess is not freakin' often. If anything, CCP's response has given me *more* faith in their core philosophy, not less.

It's pretty obvious you read, but don't comprehend what he said.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin

Nope, I got it. He's a player who "tried EVE, didn't enjoy it, then left" but "was never going to be an EVE subscriber" anyway, and yet has "serious reservations about ever being a CCP customer again", not that he ever was. Confusing, right? He then questions CCP's "philosophy at a fundamental level", but never states what "philosophy" he is referring to. Making money? Selling non-vanity items? Having internet spaceships go pew pew in a sandbox universe?

I guess the key thing he said was how his *perception* of CCP changed recently. That's important, even if his perception is based on misinformation, whiny trolls, and ignorance. CCP has tried to address this changed perception, and must continue to do so.

Please help me if I'm still not getting it. I'm just trying to help the guy better explain his position, after all.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Yeah, just like Apple did. They turned their back on all the Mac users when they started selling mp3 players and phones. Clearly, branching out is a really bad move.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Lille7

Yeah, just like Apple did. They turned their back on all the Mac users when they started selling mp3 players and phones. Clearly, branching out is a really bad move.

Well, when your primary product line is deficient, you have to branch out to survive. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Boardwalker

Originally posted by Roin

Nope, I got it. He's a player who "tried EVE, didn't enjoy it, then left" but "was never going to be an EVE subscriber" anyway, and yet has "serious reservations about ever being a CCP customer again", not that he ever was. Confusing, right? He then questions CCP's "philosophy at a fundamental level", but never states what "philosophy" he is referring to. Making money? Selling non-vanity items? Having internet spaceships go pew pew in a sandbox universe?

I guess the key thing he said was how his *perception* of CCP changed recently. That's important, even if his perception is based on misinformation, whiny trolls, and ignorance. CCP has tried to address this changed perception, and must continue to do so.

Please help me if I'm still not getting it. I'm just trying to help the guy better explain his position, after all.

Yeah, you almost grok it.  *Almost*.

I'm an outsider when it comes to EVE.  I played a bit then left.  I had an impression of both the game and the company that was running it.  I didn't care for the game but I thought the company was one to watch.

Now follow closely.

I used the word "perception" very deliberately because I'm not claiming to know the truth of anything.  I responded because I now perceive CCP as being deceptive and callous, rather than just innovate and clever.  For me, that's enough to write them off, much as I did FailCom for exactly the same reason.  The only thing keeping me from doing so is because I'm an outsider so I'm reserving judgment.  As far as I'm concerned, they can still wriggle their way into my wallet when WoD comes around if my *perception* changes again.  So far, I haven't seen anything to warrant that.  A paid for retreat for the elite of the community doesn't do it when the proceedings were covered by an NDA.  This, to me, reeks of deception.

My hope is that the unexpected outcry from recent events will cause them to re-evaluate some of their recent decisions, but I'm prepared if they arrogantly plough ahead and ignore them.  Companies do this all the time when they're confident that they're the only dealer on the block with crack for sale.  They won't have lost me as an EVE client (since that was already decided), but they will have lost me as WoD client.

So perception really is all-important because no one but CCP actually knows the truth.  But that being said, you can tell a hell of a lot about someone just by observing their their actions, and right now, I don't like what this says about them.

Ok, thanks for your explanation. I understand the "perception" part. Based on the handling of recent events (events = leaked documents, non-vanity vs vanity at store), CCP has earned some backlash from the community and media, which makes fringe gamers, such as yourself, leery of what the future holds for the games made by the company. Got it.

You lost me after that.

"So far, I haven't seen anything to warrant that.  A paid for retreat for the elite of the community doesn't do it when the proceedings were covered by an NDA.  This, to me, reeks of deception."

What? Whaaaat? Plenty came out of that meeting, including answers to the exact questions that the greater community demanded. Perhaps you didn't hear about these answers because the whiners drowned them out. Based on developer and CSM interviews and podcasts since that meeting, it was anything but a paid "retreat".

"...I'm prepared if they arrogantly plough ahead and ignore them."

The actions taken after recent events have shown how *not* arrogant CCP is, and how sensitive they are to player nerd rage. Edit: add this link to a recent interview with one of the lead CCP devs.

"Companies do this all the time..."

Oh, I see. You're taking a perception that you have for other companies and applying it to CCP. Gotcha. Which is fine for your purposes, considering how little you know of EVE.

"a lot about someone just by observing their actions, and right now, I don't like what this says about them."

Yep, which is why I feel the exact opposite of you. I've followed their actions pretty closely since the player rage. I've heard, read, and seen how they've responded--and it's good. Now, more than ever, I have faith 1) CCP truly cares about EVE--they want to make it better, not ruin it, 2) CCP will not change the game so radically that they bleed subscriptions--they need that money, 3) the small number of players that complain are a minority that is made up of trolls, bitter vets, and entitlement-kids. I'm ok with that. I hope they find what they're looking for in another game. Meanwhile, I'll log into TQ with 42K+ other people and have fun pew pew'ing, all the while confident that CCP will make the right decisions to keep the game going for another 8 years.

Troll on!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Originally posted by Gdemami

CCP no longer cares about its player base,its true!

And it was only proven how good it is. Irrational, silly, childish reaction to game changes...good that CCP does not "listen" to them, now this immature crowd will move to Perpetuum...

I feel sorry for Avatar Creations... They will enjoy some new subs but it won't help the game to move much further, imo.

Voting with your money is the ONLY way to tell a company you don't like what they are doing. If you think other wise then you are only fooling yourself. These players seem quite smarter than the knuckleheads that play WoW who will continue to be milked while features and items that should be included with the sub is being charged extra for.

I expect the same with Diablo 3 with the anouncement of a real life auction house. The morons will buy it and give up their voice to have games without the garbage. You know what would happen if these money grabs failed? That's right, they would dissappear. Support Torchlight 2 and other game companies that have some dignity.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by Orphes

Originally posted by Muke

I see the MASS EXODUS is continuing. Many are leaving for that uhh. other game!

Tsk, tsk.. Monocles anyone?

I erased EVE from my hard Drive today. It wont be coming back.

CCP no longer cares about its player base,its true! Especially after the comments CCP made.

When you have a game that ignores its player base all for the $$$$. Its time to move on.. As such I did. Along with some friends.. Goon,BCINC, RF, .. yup.. we are all leaving.

Thanks CCP!

come on, be honest, you couldnt cope with going back to highsec cause of the cool guys taking over the north...   :)

dont use the excuse of ccp for introducing vanity items.

lol, the OP for this thread is a bit old. But most of us"cool" guys left for another game about three weeks ago. Nothing personal. I do see a advantahge  if you are a newer player to EVE. Lets say the past couple years. Plenty of space to move into. Just not as populated.

Wish you the best ! Happy gaming!

Well then as I understand it is only you left in Perpeetum as the rest of your cool 'friends' resubbed to defend VFK.

Heh, your cools 'friends' did not leave in first place.

As far as I'm aware, not a single Goon left. 

Mittens gave us all monicles to stay.  You must be thinking of someone else.

And "defend" implies VFK was ever under any kind of a threat. 

The mass exodus is a lie.

Please direct what you are saying to one actually saying it...

No I am not thinking off anyone else, I never said anyone even left the game, that is the word of the person I quoted.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Dorfi

you buy the game and you pay per month yet you still dont get the full features of the game, can you not see how fucked that is? Imagine if they had of made this vanity RMT craftable in the game so players would have to interact and gather resources to make them it could of created a whole new industry in the game, even if you didnt care about that industry there would of been people who did which would create more content and interaction for what you did care about in eve. But no ccp decided to sacrifice their game for greed, I for one will never play it again as long as there is RMT and it's pay to play

Welcome to almost every MMO on the market today. Sad to say but RMT is the way of the future for MMOs. If you can't except that then you should probably move to a different genre.

As for the mass exodus I really don't see it. Maybe some people left but the vast majority are still playing and enjoying the game.

• Bishop200Bishop200 Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by fodell54

Welcome to almost every MMO on the market today. Sad to say but RMT is the way of the future for MMOs. If you can't except that then you should probably move to a different genre.

As for the mass exodus I really don't see it. Maybe some people left but the vast majority are still playing and enjoying the game.

It's the futur of MMO only because of people like you. I have cancelled my sub in Eve and will never pay a sub to a game that have a RMT.

• howardbhowardb Member Posts: 286

Wow this whole tread is a stinker. It's full of rumours and groundless hearsay. Someone heard from someone who used to play that EVE is starting to xxx, without explaining where they heard it or any other kind of credible sources mentioned. That's not how you build an argument. At least not outside of the kindergarten. When you follow up the concerns you realise that 90% is bullshit. I read through the first 15 pages and it was filled with untrue rumours and someone who didn't like EVE because it was like playing MS Excel, so he didn't understand why someone would be as stupid as to play EVE at all.

To not like EVE is perfectly legal. It's not a game for the mass market in the first place. It attracts a certain kind of player for sure. It might very well be true that EVE's loosing a few subs. That's good. That shows CCP that they have to fight for their subs and keep improving. CCP has been pulling some wrong decisions over the years, that's inevitable. This game is one of the oldest - if not the oldest - MMO still out on the market. The lack of any real competitors plus the ability of CCP to renew their game has made it grow for almost a decade now.

It's obvious that the OP is butthurt of EVE for some reason and is doing whatever he can to badmouth the game. Come up with some credible sources. Back up your claims with numbers or at least some circumstantial evidence. As it is you just come of as a disgruntled player who probably lost his carrier in an anomaly and ragequit over it.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Or we could just let this thread die a peaceful death as it has long outlived it's purpose

Originally posted by Bishop200

It's the futur of MMO only because of people like you. I have cancelled my sub in Eve and will never pay a sub to a game that have a RMT.

Good luck with that.

• Bishop200Bishop200 Member Posts: 68

Good luck with that.

Thanks, worst case i end up playing single player game. In the best case, i help you having game that does'nt force you to pay to gain a level ; ).

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

you buy the game and you pay per month yet you still dont get the full features of the game, can you not see how fucked that is? Imagine if they had of made this vanity RMT craftable in the game so players would have to interact and gather resources to make them it could of created a whole new industry in the game, even if you didnt care about that industry there would of been people who did which would create more content and interaction for what you did care about in eve. But no ccp decided to sacrifice their game for greed, I for one will never play it again as long as there is RMT and it's pay to play

The highlighted is such a copout.

There's absolutely no reason why RMT has to be the future of MMOs. The only reason why it's trending that way is because consumers are allowing companies to get away with it.If

If enough consumers vote with their wallet and stop playing MMOs with RMT and clearly express why, then it makes the case for developers to start catering MMOs to the crowd of gamers that dislike RMT... and there are a great deal of MMO gamers that dislike RMT.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Ceridith

There's absolutely no reason why RMT has to be the future of MMOs. The only reason why it's trending that way is because consumers are allowing companies to get away with it.If

If enough consumers vote with their wallet and stop playing MMOs with RMT and clearly express why, then it makes the case for developers to start catering MMOs to the crowd of gamers that dislike RMT... and there are a great deal of MMO gamers that dislike RMT.

Isn't going to happen, I thought that when grouping centric MMO's disapppeared they'd one day return because players would see the light, but it seems not enough people enjoy that game style to let their voices carry through.

Same thing here, more will favor this than not, and it will be the style of payment that prevails.

I was reading a thread from one of the Developers of Citadel of Sorcery on their forums who are currently courting publishers and he said that several publishers actually told them they were not interested in offering a P2P subscription model, F2P .

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Isn't going to happen, I thought that when grouping centric MMO's disapppeared they'd one day return because players would see the light, but it seems not enough people enjoy that game style to let their voices carry through.

Same thing here, more will favor this than not, and it will be the style of payment that prevails.

I was reading a thread from one of the Developers of Citadel of Sorcery on their forums who are currently courting publishers and he said that several publishers actually told them they were not interested in offering a P2P subscription model, F2P .

Give the industry a few years and it will start to swing back the other way once it starts to collapse under the weight of players becoming saavy to the fact that item mall games aren't really games.

There will always be smaller developers coming along to serve under represented markets. So just because the big players in the industry may opt for their copy and paste get quick rich schemes, doesn't mean that the industry will stay that way forever.

The gaming industry looks to be brewing another self-induced collapse by choosing greed over quality with trying to shove RMT, half-baked design, and poorly coded games down everyone's throats.

Remember, you decide what you do with your money. No one is forcing you or anyone else to buy into games with RMT, and there are a growing number of alternatives to this kind of crap. There is absolutely no reason why anyone has to accept RMT's intrusion into the industry if they don't want to.

Again good luck with your campaign

Thanks but I don't need any luck, because I have no campaign, simply a choice.

I choose not to play RMT games, just like you choose to accept RMT in yours.

But good luck with your acceptance of RMT, hopefully it doesn't come back to bite you in the future.

Thanks but I don't need any luck, because I have no campaign, simply a choice.

I choose not to play RMT games, just like you choose to accept RMT in yours.

But good luck with your acceptance of RMT, hopefully it doesn't come back to bite you in the future.

Thanks, I will continue to enjoy the games I'm playing. I hope that 5 years from now there are still MMOs around that your "simple choice" allows you to play.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I wonder if you all feel about Sam's Club the same way you do about RMTs. You pay a membership for the privilage of buying their stuff.

I bet some of you berating this business model have Sam's Club memberships and never realized the hypocracy and/or irony.