Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Games That Should Be MMOs

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

There are many nice IP's I'd like to see a quality MMO hatch out of, more post apocalyptic and sci-fi love, but more than anything, right now I'm desperate to see even one top-quality, rich, clever, and fun mmorpg to release at all. Something that pulls the genre from this dark age, where unfinished crap is being released year after year, age where Blizzard can keep making poor, simple, and foul expansions to WoW since everything else in the market is even more crap :)

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

I've all but given up hope on what I want to see from an MMO

Halo- Don't care

TES- Definitely-

Deus Ex- Maybe

Red Dead- Definitely

Fallout- Don't care/Maybe

I'd like to see a Farcry MMO w/map editor options.

MMO's are a very expensive endeavor, alot more expensive than an SP or Co-op game. If any one of these games goes MMO, there is going to be a tremendous amount of players they have to handle. If the business model isn't done right it'll bust the game and probably the IP, so they have to be very careful how they go about things. They know that and is probably the reason they don't wanna go in that direction. MMO's are a royal pain in the ass.

However, if you got the brass kahuna's and just a little bit of smarts, it can be pulled off for all to enjoy and reap. My money is on Red Dead.

Possible scenarios of how it could be handled.

TES- Single player MMO with PVP only area's, would really like to see the arena involved here, where players can duke it out and other players could watch and bet on them. Just the arena pvp with all the other world SP would do. For me, that is.

Let me show off my castle and how I decorated it , you know, the normal "Ew look at me, what I did, what I've accomplished, look at what I got" scenario.

Red Dead- This shouldn't be real hard to figure out. Give me land, housing, crafting, guns, farming, mining, mounts and poker and get out of my way... Partner.....

Farcry- Another easy one, each player gets a portion of the world to model, and then straight up pvp.

Maybe give the player the option to lock or unlock pvp for their particular area. But there's alot a room for more to do, player controlled wise. Something that would draw players to this particular piece of land. Like, there's more gold or oil here and it costs less ingame money to get those resources here. Like I said lots of room to faniggle with gameplay.

FC edit: Placeable Enemy AI

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Originally posted by hardicon

asherons call 3--- keep most of the gameplay from asherons call and update the graphics to todays standards, this is the mmo that i have wanted since 2004, that is all turbine has to do imo to make a big splash in the mmo water.

Funny you say that combined with this conversation.  I just got done playing Two Worlds 2.  I believe that would make for a great MMO.  My thoughts while playing it though was to take their engine(or rather MMO version of it) to make an Asheron's Call 3.

Seems perfect to me as it would add a little more to the melee side of things and their magic system could certainly work with Asheron's Call spells.  Maybe it is just me wanting and Aserhon's Sequel done right.

I'd be fine with Asheron's Call 3 or a Two Worlds MMO if the engine performed like the engine in Two Worlds 2.  If you have never played Two Worlds 2 I suggest trying a demo.  It has a Oblivion/Asheron's Call/Blade of Darkness all mixed together feel to me.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

I like all the OP's list, only Elder Scrolls I'm not too interested in...why because it's another germanic fantasy based game...so tired of those.

Beyond those games these as MMO's would be great to me:

1. Legend of Dragoon: I can easily see these as a MMO, the dragoon combo stuff would be a nice addition to MMO's.

2. Spyro the Dragon: Ok weird, but I think it would be fun playing a dragon in an MMO, also having platformer based game would add variety to the MMOG genre. Crash Bandicoot and any platformer would be great too.

3. Tomb Raider: Not exactly based around Lara, but a game focused on exploration and discovering things would add a great new thing to the extremely combat focused MMO genre.

4. Pokemon: I always like exploring in pokemon, I would love an official Pokemon mmo, with 3d and strong focus on pets. Digimon is good too.

5. Starcraft: Love the starcraft universe. Hopefully Warhammer 40k satisfies my chaotic space mmo desires.

6. Spore: Spore had a lot of flaws, but the character creation was awesome, and the basic concept would be a great MMO.

What I like most about the 6 games I chose it that they are not extremely restrictive, unlike pretty much all the OP's list is. The only ones that are restrictive are Starcraft and LOD.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Elder scrolls is a must+deus ex

• Have no idea why Diablo is not on this list.  /boggle

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Enough of cookie cutter MMORPGs. I say Master of Orion Online! It is about time a completely different type of game is converted into a massively online multiplayer game.

And in the vastness of space, with trillions of stars, thousands of empires can easily fit into that. Thousands of Aragorn on the other hand, cannot.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I would like to completely remove HALO from that list and replace it with.................... MASS EFFECT!

Consxidering SWTOR is on the verge of launching, I think a FPSMMORPG based on what will soon be the Mass Effect trilogy should be Bioware Austin's next project. I can see me now, running all over the galaxy, fightin' dudes with my Hanar heavy infantry: "This one is about to kick your ass!"

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

The list really needs to include Mass Effect. I know Bioware is rather busy with SWTOR, but I'm far more interested in what could be done with the Mass Effect setting than Star Wars.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by anthonyman6

I love Elder Scrolls, but I disagree with it being an MMO.

I disagree, an Elder Scrolls MMO with a fully playable Tamriel with all the provinces (Skyrim, Morrowind, Cyrodil, Hammerfell, Sommerset Isles, etc, etc.) would ber absolutely epic. If it was open and really sandboxy with a core of voice acted quests I could just live there forever.

You're just worried that my Argossian assassin would murder you without mercy.

Edit: I'd like to point out that an Elder Scrolls MMO could be TESVI or TESVII and then more single player games could be made afterwards, kinda like what Square did for FFXI.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I was just saying. WHERE IS MY ELDER SCROLLS MMO

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

ummm... MASS EFFECT?  How can that one NOT be on the list?

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• erickdeforeserickdefores Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by odinsrath

red dead would be great

ill stick with what the genra is pumping out sence sandbox mmo's are about dead / sigh

next top 5 theampark mmo's

he-man

thundercats

marvel --- done like a mmo ..not like DC

starship troopers

and finally!  thundarr the barbarian!

My First Pick is SHADOWRUN!!

But Damnit! " LORDS OF LIGHT"  THUNDAR the BARBARIAN would be fun as hell

OOKLA ARIAL... RIIIIDE!

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I would be all over a red dead redemtion MMO. I'm probably one of the few people that loved red dead revolver on Ps2, it was kinda crappy but oh my god was I addicted to that game.

If they made a Red Dead MMO I'd probably lose years of my life.

Oh and the Elder Scrolls thing was talked about in a Post i was on a few days ago. People brought up a lot of good reasons for it not to become and MMO but having a game with all the continents that was also multiplayer, like maybe duo or up to 4 or 5 people would be awesome.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

I've seen a few mentions of wanting to see Battletech/Mechwarrior made into an mmorpg, if you recall back in the early 1990s Kesmai had a Mechwarrior  FPS/rpg on GEnie's network and after Murdock's company bought Kesmai it ended up dying out by the end of the 1990s. 

Was a very fun game but needed real mechanics to handle the rpg end of things as it was it was very addicting and alot of fun playing in the 3025 time frame with the Houses and mercenary stuff. I miss it anyhow the point of my post was to mention "why" we've not seen one.

A little research/searching into "Battletech", "Mechwarrior", "FASA" etc will tell you that there are issues with anyone trying to bring it forth due to Robotech/Macross from Japan and copyright issues. It has been a long time since I've done any checking so I don't recall the exact particulars but I'd recommend anyone looking to pull up  previous terms I mentioned on Wikipedia to get your start.

A full blown version of the Battletech univserse would totally rock and I'd be the first to sign up, I miss my MAD-3R mech and all the fun it was to interact with other players in that universe.

Some guy known once upon a time as Lft.Gen. MacFarlane*GK* of House Davion and later merc with TBC for a bit. Man do I miss dueling on Solaris.

p.s: Remember the Battletech Pods that came out in the mid 90s? Those were a blast to.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

In no particular preference:

1.  Invader Zim Online (Maybe throw in a bit of Johnny the Homocidal Maniac in there as well)

2.  Terminator Online

3.  A Song of Ice and Fire Online (Game of Thrones)

4.  Reploids Online (Megaman X world)

5.  Arcanum Online (look up Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura)

6.  Super Mario RPG Online

7. Planeswalkers Online (Play within the many different universes of Magic The Gathering. NOT as a trading card game)

8. Battletech Online

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Deus Ex and Fall Out definately! Elder scrolls series could be nice too, but I prefer some scifi or modern era MMO atm.

The other two are not really worlds imo. So it could turn into anything as MMO with just a similar look.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

p.s: Remember the Battletech Pods that came out in the mid 90s? Those were a blast to.

Yah! Man those were totally amazing. I have never felt more immersed in a game before. That was the most fun I will ever spent "arcading" ever. The best part was watching the action replay of everything that was happening and talking it over with my friends. Man... Good old days.

• bladnochbladnoch Member Posts: 5

"Bethesda’s already created the near perfect offline fantasy sandbox."

Sometimes a dream is better off being just that. The Elder Scrolls is one such case. Someone has to fill the niche of 'offline fantasy sandbox' and Bethesda does this, imo better than anyone else. There's no need to fix what isn't broken here, this is one experience that's best left to the individual.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Planescape:Torment .

Or Darksun, made right of course.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Not one of those worlds seems to be a MMO i would enjoy, so i have to disagree.

• AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26

FF Tactics/FF12/Vagrant Story online (preferrably not operated by Square Enix - just allowing another company to use and expand upon their property) Strategic gameplay is lacking in most of the MMOs I've played, and it's the key element in this branch of the FF franchise. An updated action-y turn-based combat system and body-part targeting would be interesting.

Xenogears (not Xenosaga) with a mix of on-foot and mech combat, even allowing mixed battles. I especially liked how "magic" was handled by technology through the "Ether Drive"... since I hate traditional fantasy magic and real magic. (the only big issue is the special nature of the "good" mechs responding only to a set group of animas, although there were some pretty strong unrelated gears that all players could potentially use.)

Metroid - exploring the universe and hunting aliens in a cybernetic power suit that can shrink down into a ball. Going after bounties and finding powerups as you go. Mixing weapon properties on the fly. Oh yeah, and a personal ship as a customizable home with trophies. Fun times.

3 is good enough for 1am.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Babylon 5, one of the most rich indepth sci-fi space settings, possibly more or as much lore here as there is with star wars.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Everyone has mentioned any title I feel would make a great MMO world. The only world I would love to see explored more is the Half Life/Portal universe of Valve. I just don't know if it'd be better staying as a single player game world though. I think the same applies to many other universes, though Final Fantasy went MMO and haven't they continued to make the single players too?

I'm going to go off on a tangent and list the universes I would love to see bought to life in an MMO...or even just a game...

1. The Firefly universe. I can't really put in to words how much this universe warrants being expanded on.

2. The world of the Belgariad and the Mallorean.

3. Midkaemia; the world of the Riftwar books.

4. Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy and associated world.

5. The Earth of Phillip Pulman's His Dark Materials series (and associated worlds even)

I just want to see them bought to life...but I don't want to see them ruined.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Fallout and TES made to be sandbox MMOs !