Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Million Dollar DOTA 2 Tournament at Gamescom Announced

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Valve Software has announced "The International," a million dollar DOTA 2 tournament set for this year's Gamescom convention in Cologne, Germany.

The tournament will begin on August 17th and run throughout the entirety of the five day show, ending on August 21st. 16 teams from all around the globe will participate in a double-elimination playoff and the tournament will be broadcast (free of charge) in four languages (Chinese, English, Russian, and German). The winning team will take home $1 million.

DOTA 2 is the stand-alone sequel to the Warcraft III map Defense of the Ancients, and is set for release later this year.

Find out more about the tournament over at the official DOTA 2 blog.

Comments

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

If they only had a 1 million dollar tournament for Unreal Tournament.

• EvilAnimalEvilAnimal Member UncommonPosts: 28

amazing money waste

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Wait

They are having 2 million dollar tournament for the game that is not released still ?

That must make competitors come from very small pool of alpha/closed beta testers ...

What a wierd promotion.

Why they didnt make tournament where actual players can take part ? When the game is released in public

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Wait

They are having 2 million dollar tournament for the game that is not released still ?

That must make competitors come from very small pool of alpha/closed beta testers ...

What a wierd promotion.

Why they didnt make tournament where actual players can take part ? When the game is released in public

The best 16 teams of DotA were handpicked for the tournament and were likely given access to beta to practice for the matches. Gabe said the level of play is extraordinary. Dota 2 will make the first public appearance at Gamescom and I expect about half the people in Gamescom to be watching the tournament. It will also be broadcasted in 4 languages. This is an amazing move if you ask me.

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64
    Well I play LoL, but I never played the original dota or any other MOBA game, still I'm very interested in this, especially when they are opening with a million dollar tournament for a game that isn't even out yet??
  • sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

1mil dollar promotion for a game that isnt even out... id say thats the most confident move ive seen. the game must be nearly done as well.. you cant expect them to hand a game that has like 10 available heroes right?

or extreme game breaking bugs?

;p

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

That should get all the kids salivating, just like the Riot tournament did for LoL...

Instant success when it releases, I will bet on it..

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Great marketing move :)

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

[Insert 'where is my Ep3?' complaint here]

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• SaboterrSaboterr Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Vyeth

That should get all the kids salivating, just like the Riot tournament did for LoL...

Instant success when it releases, I will bet on it..

I thought DOTA was a success already, given DOTA2 is being "made by" IceFrog himself lol

Just looking around... Hoping GW2's community won't suck :)

• c4_Garudac4_Garuda Member Posts: 77

Only 2 weeks more, can not freakin wait! My BD is 19th....ZOMGGGG

1 million, this kind of promotion is gonna wipe market of other 'mobas'.

Beta in fall, dammit I think im gonna have to choose between this and swtor :( and d3 :O

"To be a rock and not to roll..."

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I was not to bothered about Dota2 but with a million up for grabs Valve must be confident so I can't wait to see what they have made.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

@ lobotomist:

Because you won't be able to win anyway, the one who wins this tournament would win it regardless of how open the tournament was.