Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people saying Diablo 3 look like WoW?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Iam confused. Blizzard new MMOG Diablo 3 is getting criticism from people that say it look like WoW.

What does that mean? Does it look worst than Diablo 2, or better?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

It's not an MMOG. People probably just say it looks like WoW because it's from Blizzard. I personally think it looks more like D2... big surprise...

I can't really say whether it looks better or not.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Likely they are people that are more interested in realistic looking graphics (photo realistic) that use photo reference instead of hand painted textures which no matter how well done look more cartoony than photo reference textures.

idc either way to be honest. I think both are good techniques. As long as they are done well .. it looks good to me.

Also, D3 isnt an MMO.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well it will likely be a major cash grab as they employ mutilple revenues streams to maximize their profits.

Oh wait, you were talking about the graphics?  Nevermind....  image

It's made by Blizzard, of course there will be some WOW bleedover, likely some of the same artists involved, but overall it looks more like D2 to  me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

This should be in general gaming. D3 is not mmorpg.

Well they say that becasue D3 looks more cartoonish than Diablo 2 , and much more than D1.

Saw today loong D3 movie with all classes and I am not impressed tbh. Maybe I am just too old for h&s but I dont think I will go buy D3.

Not to mention about cash grabs. So yeah deffo not buying.

• jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165

I think most people are along the lines of its LIKE wow instead of looking like wow.

It has tons of the same abilities from wow classes inplemented onto the D3 classes eg. Fan of Knives. Has respecs this time around and various other wow implemented mechanics. 

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

this is a very silly thread.  d3 is nothing like WOW in terms of graphics, genre, playstyle, format, lore or hardly anything for that matter.

d3 is a sequel to d2 and as such is very similiar to d2 in graphic style and game play but with modern improvments.  It looks great but it still has that top down click to move hack n slash feel d2 fans are hoping for.

Simply surf your browser over to youtube and search for some d3 gameplay vids there is no similarities to WOW people are just idiots for the most part and all the verbal minority has to say is negative things in general.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Some regards (yes) some regards no.

The art for Blizzard has homogenized, largely due to a localization of their art design to one location. The results of that would be a much stronger similarity between current or ongoing development and future titles. As a result there are many details and ways in which Diablo3 has similar designs to WoW, a primary example being the painterly look they give both.

This is Diablo 3 from 2005.

High fantasy in many regards and still the same proportions as Diablo 1/2. Even resembles the place in act 4 or end of act 2 of Diablo 2.

And this is Diablo 3 now.

This looks like a jungle zone from WoW.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Never saw 2005 version before! Looks SO MUCH BETTER!

Do you have more pics of 2005 version?

btw. It looks so diffrent. Did they dumped 2005 version and started creating graphics from scratch?

That's the only one I currently have on hand.

And yeah, they dropped the original graphics (rebuilt the gameplay a bit too) in favor of the current one because they wanted to compact their development groups a bit and make the game more appealing to their largest audience.

EDIT: Found a gallery on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5761172/this-is-what-diablo-iii-looked-like-a-long-time-ago/gallery/1

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Yeah for me D3 2005 looks more like Diablo style than actual D3.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Why people are coming to that  conclusion? Well cause its true plain and simple. Diablo has not the gothic touch its once had.

Also Blizzard is removing more and more diablo stuff implementing  RMT and wow crap.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Deivos

That's the only one I currently have on hand.

And yeah, they dropped the original graphics (rebuilt the gameplay a bit too) in favor of the current one because they wanted to compact their development groups a bit and make the game more appealing to their largest audience.

EDIT: Found a gallery on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5761172/this-is-what-diablo-iii-looked-like-a-long-time-ago/gallery/1

Nice find, but I still don't see even with the '05 version the hallmarks of the Diablo series.

It was darker than the cartoon that D3 is now.  But I don't see corpses, entrails, impaled bodies, blood all over the floor and walls, bloody sacrificial chambers, etc image Haven't seen any of that in the new one yet.

Maybe D3 is actually a Warcraft RPG?  It'd explain the style quite a bit.  Little kids can't have nightmares, I guess, in a title having the name "DIABLO" on it.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

There were places that look the same or at least similar to the one's presented in the 2005 version like I mentioned of act 4.

And more so at the end of act 2, the arcane sanctuary.

{mod edit - images resized to fit forum}

the corpses, entrails, bodies, etc, were sparse doodads that mostly only showed up in act 4 (in hell) and 5 (the expansion), and inside the temple there weren't really any corpses, nor in the main area for Diablo in Act 4.

Only the mobs ye were killing. Most of what you refer to would be set pieces from particular situations, encounters, and levels. Not a uniformity.

However, if you look at what I just linked ant the style of the pics from 2005, the overall design has much in common fundamentally.

True. Lower levels would surely include impaled bodies , ritual places and all stuff like that.

Certainly 2005 version feel more like Diablo 1&2 with more "dark" and "serious" feel , while final 2011 Ddiablo 3 looks more cartoonish.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Iam confused. Blizzard new MMOG Diablo 3 is getting criticism from people that say it look like WoW.

What does that mean? Does it look worst than Diablo 2, or better?

MMOG lol do you even know what kind of game Diablo 3 is?

• snapp69snapp69 Member UncommonPosts: 113

Well here are the facts..

It is and RPG

You play it online

You have a character that gains levels

You have skill trees

You kill mobs for XP

You do Quests for XP

You have an inventory

You have gear you put in a character screen

There are dungeons

Clearly it not only looks like WoW it is also a WoW Clone

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by DerWotan

Why people are coming to that  conclusion? Well cause its true plain and simple. Diablo has not the gothic touch its once had.

Also Blizzard is removing more and more diablo stuff implementing  RMT and wow crap.

It have to pls all those WoW fans that mainly are family's and kids playing. Thats why its bright with colors and and very casual cute looking and cartoonish.  You prolly get mickey mouse and donald duck as playable character or as cute monsters to kill:P

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

People on these forums would (and do in a few games) play  "Stare at the wall - The MMO", as long as the wall looked realistic enough :-)

But then again, I value gameplay / addictiveness / general quality literally 10 times over graphics. 

Sure the graphics are important. They should look good, but I would rather D3 be ASCII symbols and be awesome, then be some buggy, horrid, unplayable mess with Crysis 2 engine graphics lmao

Originally posted by quentin405

People on these forums would (and do in a few games) play  "Stare at the wall - The MMO", as long as the wall looked realistic enough :-)

But then again, I value gameplay / addictiveness / general quality literally 10 times over graphics. 

Sure the graphics are important. They should look good, but I would rather D3 be ASCII symbols and be awesome, then be some buggy, horrid, unplayable mess with Crysis 2 engine graphics lmao

Which if you looked at what was linked, you'd know shiny graphics wasn't the point versus the style (note, not specifically realism, more surrealism).

I also noted in passing that they changed the gameplay when they changed the graphics to intentionally play and appeal more to their present demographic. That demographic happening to be WoW players.

You make a fair argument, but it has nothing to do with the issue.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by snapp69

Well here are the facts..

It is and RPG

You play it online

You have a character that gains levels

You have skill trees

You kill mobs for XP

You do Quests for XP

You have an inventory

You have gear you put in a character screen

There are dungeons

Clearly it not only looks like WoW it is also a WoW Clone

sarcasm sense is tingling!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Some good posts Deivos. I think that is why some are disappointed in the direction of the Diablo series.

I'll end up getting the game I'm pretty sure but I'm not a fan of the current art style and aesthetics.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

For about 10 years or so now Diablo has always been a dark gothic loot adventure. When Blizzard North left , Blizzard Irvine decided to change almost everything we loved about the first 2 games and make it more appealing to WoW players. Some will like D3 and some will not.

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

I agree that there were old versions of diablo 3 that looked very toony, but they have redone a lot of the artwork...

Check out the most recent beta footage. This doesn't look toony at all to me.  The lines are jagged. The color pallet has been dulled down significantly, and there is a ambient haze inserted.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdaatil4yA&feature=player_detailpage

It may have looked toony in the past, but that's old news.

Actually that looks exactly the same as the video they showed when they originally aired the barbarian.

You notice how those you show are only night time and dungeon places?

You know, back in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxOUxwkoLyw&ob=av3e

And that is still the same graphics and quality that's displayed in the picture I posted earlier. Again the only difference being you can only see the shilouettes and basic details of the plants in the night, but they're the same models and textures. They still are toony with flat textures and exaggerated forms in most models.

This all being said, still inevitably buying it.

• CognitoCognito Member Posts: 198

I chose not to vote... Just cause I can.

The graphics aren't amazing, but they are not bad - just a bit cartoony. The aesthetics looks very poor though...

Put through the personal paces of my crippled fingers.