Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wich one will be f2p 1st?

odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

wanted to take a poll on wich title will go f2p..any of theres 3 is very possible..seeing sw:tor could very much flop ..wow loseing a ton more subs and rift doing the same..anything is posible ..so what do you think?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

GW2.....oh wait......

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

not at all ..anything is possible..there have been other aaa mmo's that have came out and utterly flop..its possible ..but prolly not till later down the road

Originally posted by junzo316

GW2.....oh wait......

lol ya..i almost put that in there haha

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

was wondering what kind of a time frame we're looking at here.. 10 years.. 20 years..  ... for F2P to happen for any of those.. i would think you would be waiting at least 10 years with a heavy probability.. of .. it isnt ever going to happen ..  .. as for GW2. image wouldnt that mean they'd have to start charging a sub first.. image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

i voted wow..it kind of a flip of a three sided coin really..imo any of these are very possible going f2p within 1 1/2 - 2yrs

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

If SWTOR could very well flop.....how is WoW gonna lose a lot of subs? GW2 doesn't really count since its B2P, it will take some, but not the hardcore crowd yet.

Chose Rift since the devs likes to listen to player's opinions :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by odinsrath

i voted wow..it kind of a flip of a three sided coin really..imo any of these are very possible going f2p within 1 1/2 - 2yrs

Opinions are great thing isn't it? one can say just anything ridiclulous and don't even need to give any reasonable explanation. 

ya was kinda thining on both sides ..wows side seeing it wouldnt lose much subs if sw:tor flops or new mmo's

and sw:tor doing great and sucking wows / rifts subs within a yr or 2

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

They're not good enough to go F2P.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by CalmOceans

They're not good enough to go F2P.

I'm curious, since you're obviously on some sort of F2P crusade (considering your posting history), what games are "good" according to you? And before you start accusing me of anything, the only MMO I currently play is LOTRO, without a subscription.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

You kinda miss option in pool.

Something like : e)any of the three ,at least not soon and f) just let me see results

So pool imho is flawed.

If I really had to bet , I would bet on Rift if it take too big subscription hit after Swtor/GW2/Tera/Archeage release.

WoW - I have mixed feelings. That might be very risky. WoW going f2p will take alot of players from other f2p games for sure though I doubt it would help them get back majority of players from Swtor/GW2/Tera/AA.

Swtor - I don't think so.

Besides I view OP post as troll like. It is more like pushing his own personal views that are not argumented in OP and starting commotion and controversy.

Just my personal oppinion.

What I find really interesting is to see what changes will happpen to F2P business model after more games go F2P and competition will increase alot.

Another thing to consider is if losing "fresh effect" of f2p model on western mainstream players will have any meaning or not and if yes how big?

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

(definition of f2p in this context: unlimited trial time with heavy restrictions and the possibility to charge extra content and/or buy  a full access premium account)

wow - why should it go "f2p" as long as they have millions of subscribers in the eastern hemisphere? even if numbers of subscribers will fall down under 1 million global, blizzard would make more money per month without going f2p.

rift - same here. as long as you have a good number of subscriptions there will be no need. sure, its difficult for us to estimate how many subscribers a mmorpg really need to be more profitable than with a "f2p" model. games like rift i guess will be around 25.000 to 50.000?

sw:tor - and the same arguments here. my best guess is that this game still will have around 100.000 subscribers in 5 years, more if bioware/la are smart enough to come up with enough feature which will guarantee longevity.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

:None of them

Option is missing from your selection.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

why would WoW ever go F2P?

They rolling in the money, with millions of subs. Whether ppl want to admit it or not, nothing is ever gonna stop WoW, until it stops itself, i.e. stop adding more expansions/content and Blizzard moving on to another game with same features and updated art/content/continuation of IP.

Ppl like that hamster wheel way to much

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

None. WoW already makes Blizzards wads of cash and TOR is set to do the same for EA. Rift, despite it often being on sale, seems to have a healthy subscriber base.

• EQ2ThanosEQ2Thanos Member UncommonPosts: 55

I have been banned from this site for saying that the 2nd option on the list will be F2P.I still voted for it though:).I can't  mention its name because any of my posts that mention the word r..t seem to get deleted.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

without a doubt, WAR will bethe  first to cave in

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

since this thread is full of opinions, ill share mine...

i voted for swtor just because it wont have innovation... all the same again with sci fi disguise.... and i wild guess WoW would go f2p only if their sub base drops down below 1  million players.... and thats far from happening.....

rift was claimed by ppl that it was gonna steal lots of wow subs,.... and wow is still kicking butts like a pro... so i doubt swtor will have a big impact on wows playerbase...

just my opinion here

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

I voted all, the room for P2P games is getting smaller and smaller and it's only a matter of time before every game is going the F2P "Cash Shop" route.

• tiapherestiapheres Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Sagasaint

without a doubt, WAR will bethe  first to cave in

You sir are prob most accurate. With WoW in close  second followed by Aion then Rift then SWTOR. I think EQ2X is going about thier item shop better than AoC. As always the market will follow SOEs model. Hell F2P were considered failures until Free Realms. lol, F2P is the new AAA.

Fatetaker Voidwalker
    Linkshell founder of Shi Ryu of Aegis & Figaro
    Leader of the Bad Wolves Multi Game Community

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

This poll is bias against ToR, Rift, and WoW purely the OP does not like any of three and wishes to push his opinion on others. There are other MMOs coming out about the same time or after ToR, yet they are not listed in the OP's poll. TERA, PRIME, ArchAge, TSW, WaR, MO, Darkfall, Final Fantasy 14 and numberous other titles have the potential to become free 2 play. All of the upcoming titles have the potential to flop as well, yet they are not apart of the OP's poll. I don't include GW2 because it is not sub based, but it does have the potential to flop as well. I therefore dismiss the OP's poll as a troll at best.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

UO, EQ, DAoC, WAR, MO, DF, EVE, Perp., FFXI, and I know I'm prob missing 1-2 more that would have to fall first before any of the three you listed would realistically be in jeopardy.

Though, just like SWG, I can easily see UO/MO/DF/DAoC just getting shut down if they each don't have the independant earnings to justify the development costs to make the switch.

WoW is still very profitable. It can hemmorage more monthly subs that most of those listed games have current, active playerbases, and still hold the #1 spot by like a 7mil margin over Aion (citing the jun.'11 update on that mmogdata chart).

SW:ToR is a Star Wars game many more Star Wars fans are interested in playing than ever were going to play SWG, and Star Wars is still a strong enough franchise to pull a good healthy living out of things.

Rift, I mean, they're doing so terrible they just had to announce details of their 4th major content patch and unveil their big multi-platform/includes a TV show tie-in project being developed with sci-fi channel. Oh wait, thats not doing terrible at all...

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Nexon stated they only made 46.62 million from US players last year.  I think they are considered the highest revenue maker in the US under the P2W payment model.

Comparing to subscription :

~260k subscribers @ $15/month  

~389k subscribers @ $10/month

WOW will never be P2W unless blizzard decides they want to push a new game.

Rift is already making almost 2x what the best P2W game is making.  I don't see them switching unless they take a huge subscription hit.

SWTOR, I doubt it will switch in 1-2 years, but it's game design is very similar to DDO.   It might make sense to switch over after the intial rush of customers.