Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: The "Real Money" Auction House

Comments

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

why in gods name would anyone want to play this..all it will turn out to be is a all out farm fest...everyone farming on the server to make this so called "real" money and if this game has a sub fee to play every month wouldnt it be basicly a f2p game..seeing everyone under the sun would be farming to pay for their sub

imo nuttin here for me...a all out farming mmorpg is all this is going to turn out to be..forget the gameplay aspect..cuz no one will want to do it if you can mank "money" by sell stuff on the broker / auction house...im utterly amazed that this is even going to be tryed in a mmorpg ..whats next? a cragslisting so you can sell your real items at home?

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by miagisan

they are getting rid of gold farmers by making the players into the gold farmers. Congrats...you just became a blizzard employee by buying the game.

+1 too many narrow minded kids wont see past this..its sad

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346

Havent heard better news for diablo since 5years ago :]] hahhaha EPIC BLIZZARD MOVE JUST EPIC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by odinsrath

why in gods name would anyone want to play this..all it will turn out to be is a all out farm fest...everyone farming on the server to make this so called "real" money and if this game has a sub fee to play every month wouldnt it be basicly a f2p game..seeing everyone under the sun would be farming to pay for their sub

imo nuttin here for me...a all out farming mmorpg is all this is going to turn out to be..forget the gameplay aspect..cuz no one will want to do it if you can mank "money" by sell stuff on the broker / auction house...im utterly amazed that this is even going to be tryed in a mmorpg ..whats next? a cragslisting so you can sell your real items at home?

Diablo 1 and 2 were farmfest. Thats the whole POINT.  If you were not a fan of the first two, this wont make sense to you.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by odinsrath

Could you not be bothered to even know what game you are talking about before posting? I understand not reading 20 pages of posts, but really? This is not an MMO, there are no subscriptions, and generally the loot pinata that is every named mob is what drives people to keep playing through multiple difficulties looking for the next peice of loot, which some migt see as farming.

Even if the story is epic, it is likely to vary very little in each playthrough, so unless the hunt for the gear or the social aspects of playing with others appeal to you, then the diablo franchise..and likely all games of the hack and slash genre, are not for you.

• noterranoterra Member Posts: 13

This is what needs to be done unless you want every single item in the game to be soulbound. Even if Blizzard didn't make Cash-AH a reality, items would still be sold by other sites just like they're today (and just like gold is for every other MMORPG out there). The difference here is that everyone has an equal chance to buy/sell items and it's "legal" under Blizzards supervision. As oppose to how it would be if they didn't implement this system, then some other communities would do it instead and it wouldn't be as accessable to everyone.

Are people really so ignorant ? this is clearly the best approach to deal with the problem Diablo 2 suffers from. People always make a big deal out of these new features, it's always "Screw Blizzard, I'm going to play X instead". We all know you imbeciles will end up playing Diablo 3 in the end of the day so stop pretending, suck it up and go with it. 

I personally rather work in real life for a few hours to buy items in the game that would take me weeks, if not months, to obtain since I won't be able to play more than a couple of hours a week. 

This is a good move by Blizzard, and anyone whom spent more than a ladder season in Diablo 2 will understand why. If not, then you're just stupid. 

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by noterra

I personally rather work in real life for a few hours to buy items in the game that would take me weeks, if not months, to obtain since I won't be able to play more than a couple of hours a week. 

This is a good move by Blizzard, and anyone whom spent more than a ladder season in Diablo 2 will understand why. If not, then you're just stupid. 

I'm sick of ppl like you. It's becouse of cheaters like you we have to deal with gold farmers and account hacking.

• AstrumNivalAstrumNival Member Posts: 19

Blizzard is so Bli$$ard..

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by miagisan

they are getting rid of gold farmers by making the players into the gold farmers. Congrats...you just became a blizzard employee by buying the game.

Works for me. I'll be fascinated to see how D3 works out in practice, if Blizzard ever gets around to releasing it. ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Malevil

I'm sick of ppl like you. It's becouse of cheaters like you we have to deal with gold farmers and account hacking.

"Cheating" is defined by the Dev's of a given game.  Thus by definition, using the in game AH is not "cheating". 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Wraithone

"Cheating" is defined by the Dev's of a given game.  Thus by definition, using the in game AH is not "cheating". 

but by old gameplay rules, anything using RL money to buy equips, skillz, and /or using programs to help you during game is cheating, but hey go ahead, give you money to greed devs, they do it because people like you give then money, it a nice way to make your own money worht a lot less then it should

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Originally posted by alkarionlog

but by old gameplay rules, anything using RL money to buy equips, skillz, and /or using programs to help you during game is cheating, but hey go ahead, give you money to greed devs, they do it because people like you give then money, it a nice way to make your own money worht a lot less then it should

Have you ever written a game design document? Ever been in the game development field? If you tried using your argument at a creative director or just any ol designer, they would laugh in your face. The simple fact is that cheating is doing what the DESIGNER does not intend or want the player do within the confines of the game design document (GDD). The core of a game its rule set, the rule set dictates the limitations which create elements of interacting and challenge. This can include the purchasing and or selling of items within the ruleset dictated by the designers and their server.

You clearly cannot even fathom the unique design choices and opportunities this approach opens up for a game like Diablo, nor what the designers are going for and its nothing short of brilliant. I hope you never play a collectable card game because its no different. Trading and selling cards is no more cheating that it is in Diablo. This isnt a mmorpg, it isnt even a f2p item shop business model game, its a collectable item game and the rule set makes it quite clear that there are a few ways to find, sell, use and share the items found within the game. Everyone wins with what Blizzard is doing.

"Old gameplay rules" also means nothing, its just empty rhetoric with no real substancial definition you could give them. You are entitled to your opinion, but know when to not claim it as fact, its just silly.

RMT in the way its implimented works in Diablo 3's favor and for everyones favor for that matter due to the nature of its design and history. What works for one game might not work for another. Think of Diablo 3 like a collectable card game (such as magic the gathering or Pokemon) and you will understand.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Everyone wins with what Blizzard is doing.

Thats the problem! EVERYONE WINS!

Everyone is not supposed to win....if so then why bother playing?

The only people who win are the people who are not willing to invest the time to earn the items. I dont care if its collectible items, buy them with earned in game tokens!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Have you ever written a game design document? Ever been in the game development field? If you tried using your argument at a creative director or just any ol designer, they would laugh in your face. The simple fact is that cheating is doing what the DESIGNER does not intend or want the player do within the confines of the game design document (GDD). The core of a game its rule set, the rule set dictates the limitations which create elements of interacting and challenge. This can include the purchasing and or selling of items within the ruleset dictated by the designers and their server.

You clearly cannot even fathom the unique design choices and opportunities this approach opens up for a game like Diablo, nor what the designers are going for and its nothing short of brilliant. I hope you never play a collectable card game because its no different. Trading and selling cards is no more cheating that it is in Diablo. This isnt a mmorpg, it isnt even a f2p item shop business model game, its a collectable item game and the rule set makes it quite clear that there are a few ways to find, sell, use and share the items found within the game. Everyone wins with what Blizzard is doing.

"Old gameplay rules" also means nothing, its just empty rhetoric with no real substancial definition you could give them. You are entitled to your opinion, but know when to not claim it as fact, its just silly.

RMT in the way its implimented works in Diablo 3's favor and for everyones favor for that matter due to the nature of its design and history. What works for one game might not work for another. Think of Diablo 3 like a collectable card game (such as magic the gathering or Pokemon) and you will understand.

hmm, I think I hit a nerve here, anyway try harder,

and if I wanted to play magic again I would play magic and even so I was cheap when I played, I traded a lot of cards and did a hell of legwork after cheap cards, back tehn I had time to spend on these now? feh, really thing here is you will pay a lot more for a lot less if you compare with D2, D3 for me is death before the launch, torchlight 2 will get a fat share of D3 jsut because of these things.

but hey I bet you don't care, games in general are going to toilet and a lot of people don't care, they just toss money like it was like nothing.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • htiger23htiger23 Member Posts: 113

My 2 cents:

1. Blizzard is not hurting anyone by doing this.  It isn't like they are forcing you to cough up your credit card just for playing.  You never have to use this service if you don't want to.

2. Blizzard is taking money away from shady third party companies and scammers by moving the operation in-house.

3. You are not forced to do this.  Every single thing that can be purchased on the $$$ Auction House can either be earned in game or purchased on the Gold Auction House.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Originally posted by htiger23

My 2 cents:

1. Blizzard is not hurting anyone by doing this.  It isn't like they are forcing you to cough up your credit card just for playing.  You never have to use this service if you don't want to.

2. Blizzard is taking money away from shady third party companies and scammers by moving the operation in-house.

3. You are not forced to do this.  Every single thing that can be purchased on the $$$ Auction House can either be earned in game or purchased on the Gold Auction House.

1. Those who spend real cash will always have an upper hand in PvP. So it makes D3 pay2win type of a game.

2. Blizzard is making it legal for gold farmers to farm and sell stuff in their game. They only take a share of profits, which doesn't really hurt the farmers' business.

3. If you really think you can buy the best items for in-game gold, you must be new to these games

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Everyone wins with what Blizzard is doing.

Thats the problem! EVERYONE WINS!

Everyone is not supposed to win....if so then why bother playing?

The only people who win are the people who are not willing to invest the time to earn the items. I dont care if its collectible items, buy them with earned in game tokens!

I dont think you managed to comprehend what I am saying, rather you seem to have a pretty narrow minded view of what "everyone wins" entails.

It has nothing to do with gameplay. Furthermore the purpose of a game isnt to win or lose, its to interact with a rule set.

Everyone Wins because:

1) The player has the choice to play the game as a single player game. The player has the choice to play it as a co-op multiplayer game with friends. Neither have any impact nor are impacted by an online only Auction House for the mode that its used for.

The player has the choice to play how they wish to play without others ruining it for them. Got it? Choice. Everyone gets the game experience they CHOOSE to allow.

2) The player can actually make money by playing the game as they normally would. They may get an ultra rare drop that has a .001% chance of dropping and they have the OPTION, the CHOICE to say "sweet, I can actually sell this for real money" and the player doesnt have to worry about being scammed.

In short, they have the choice to make some level of income by doing what they would do for fun anyways, playing a game. They can do whatever they want. Its their CHOICE.

3) Everyone has the same opportunities, the same options as the next . It isnt special treatment. Each item will have the same damn drop rate, the same means to acquire it as the next person. Its fair in every sense of the word.

Therefore, there is no logical or rational argument to be made when opposing the fact that everyone wins with the design choices of Diablo 3. Player Choice is present and its both a single player and limited multiplayer game.

I swear some people..../facepalm

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by deniter

Originally posted by htiger23
    My 2 cents:
    1. Those who spend real cash will always have an upper hand in PvP. So it makes D3 pay2win type of a game.
    2. Blizzard is making it legal for gold farmers to farm and sell stuff in their game. They only take a share of profits, which doesn't really hurt the farmers' business.
    3. If you really think you can buy the best items for in-game gold, you must be new to these games

1) Blizzard could do something about the PvP. I don't know if they will though. Valid Point So Far, But Not Enough Information

2) The difference with Blizzard's system is that now gold selling businesses, with an overhead and a need to make a profit are competing with people who have no overhead, so they can easily undersell the gold sellers. Or drive prices up. Either way, the consumer wins.

3) Blizzard could do something about the split between Gold and $. There could be things you can only buy with Gold in the game...things that you need for PvP or some such. They may not bother though. Valid Point So Far, But Not Enough Information.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Look, you can write another  essay, but you and ppl like you are still nothing more than cheaters. Fighting against cheating by legalizing it is in my book same as fighting against crime by legalizing it. It's total fail.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Look, you can write another  essay, but you and ppl like you are still nothing more than cheaters. Fighting against cheating by legalizing it is in my book same as fighting against crime by legalizing it. It's total fail.

But then You should really hate all single player games as people commonly use trainers or cheat codes. After all You don't know if Your friend Joe that completed same game as You and You had a nice chat with him didn't use a godmode...
    And D3 isn't even an MMO, so why do You care how someone play their game?
  • vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

This is it i'm leaving this forsaken website!

Have you even heard what the man sad about it? If you don't like it don't use it, you don't have to!

The only reason you will not like it is that others can just buy their stuff, while you have to put "work and effort" (AKA playing the game?!)

you all act as if you're forced to use it! GOD

CYALL!!!!!!!

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

I like your analogy pointing out that the RMAH is like crime. I agree, this move would be like the US legalizing marijuana. It may be considered taboo for a lot of people, but the effects of it aren't that bad and it would be in the best interests of the country to profit from it, rather than wasting billions trying to curb the use of it.

Of course there are always a few purists who are too close minded and think their way is the only way, but the reality of the situation is that this is best for everyone.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

You're ignoring his valid definition of cheating, though. CCGs are a good example. You would be hardpressed to find someone who says that it's "cheating" to play Magic: the Gathering with a deck consisting of cards that you bought, and that the only valid way to play is with cards that you opened yourself in packs.

Another great example would be any sport in which you buy your own equipment, like golf or tennis, or even bringing your own high quality joystick to a fighting game tournament. Is it fair for one person to have a worn hand-me-down tennis racket while his opponent uses a $1000 racket with all the modern features? Well, yes. It's fair in the sense that it is allowed by the rules of the game. And while you might not like what they're planning to do with D3, it's a pointless argument to say that people playing D3 within Blizzard's rules are still cheating.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by yutty

Originally posted by ikyle620

Originally posted by Barbarbar

This business is making me sick. Talk about wasting your life on money.  So sad that these grownups stand there outside the schoolyard trying to wrench the lunchmoney out of the kids. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This would be more like allowing the grownups to stand there outside the schoolyard and watch as the kids try to wrench the lunchmoney from eachother.

you forgot to include that the kids would have to pay the grownups b4 they can wrench the lunch money from each other

A compeltely negligible fee of pennies that doesn't scale with the cost of the item you want to sell.  The only point of adding a fee at all is to use that to pay the third party financial institution through which D3 will pass these transactions.  Blizzard claims they desire to "break even" on this feature, and for now I believe them.  Afterall, they wouldn't want to drive away potential customers by showcasing obvious greed in their experimental real life auction house that would include higher scaling fees :p

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

This is what needs to be done unless you want every single item in the game to be soulbound. Even if Blizzard didn't make Cash-AH a reality, items would still be sold by other sites just like they're today (and just like gold is for every other MMORPG out there). The difference here is that everyone has an equal chance to buy/sell items and it's "legal" under Blizzards supervision. As oppose to how it would be if they didn't implement this system, then some other communities would do it instead and it wouldn't be as accessable to everyone.

Are people really so ignorant ? this is clearly the best approach to deal with the problem Diablo 2 suffers from. People always make a big deal out of these new features, it's always "Screw Blizzard, I'm going to play X instead". We all know you imbeciles will end up playing Diablo 3 in the end of the day so stop pretending, suck it up and go with it. 

Yes but this doesn't solve that problem. Those virtual item markets are jumping for joy right now. Blizzard just potentially doubled their profit margins. Now they can make that real money in the game as well as out.