Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: The "Real Money" Auction House

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by DAS1337

Whether or not any of you want to admit this, RMT plagued Diablo 2.  Anyone could google one of these websites and buy anything they wanted, or they could wait for a spammer in game to come along and follow their direction.  The only difference now is that the millions of illegal outfits running this will be next to none.  Blizzard has faced this reality with the only logical decision, that is to regulate it themselves.  If you weren't interested in buying gold/items and such, then you are still presented with the option of not doing it.  This is exactly the same option that you had with the previous game.  There is no difference, just because you didn't do it in Diablo 2 doesn't mean the option wasn't there.

I'm not going to say no to one of the biggest games to come out in the past 10 years just because Blizzard decided to do the only thing that can be done to fight RMT outfits.  Take a step back and look at the situation.  It's still going to be a good game. 

Blizzard hasn't fixed this, they're just making sure they get their cut.  ironically, this is also how organized crime operates.

Besides, the RMT thing (which never affected me while playing the first two games) is just one of the birds being flipped at the player.  And their rationlization for no offline mode is insulting thin.

Actually this is more like when, in the U.S., many states legalized the lottery and ran it themselves.  This pushed out the numbers running source of money for the mob, and the government got their cut.  The way it was before was similar to how organized crime operates in black markets.

So what's the solution to this? I'm pretty sure it's not: 'Blizzard is greedy and they suck for charging for this'. What else could Blizzard have done but to make this process safer than going through 3rd party distributors?

You people are so quick to criticize without offering any actual solutions or alternatives.

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Lorgarn

It's pretty funny because, as always, people only see negativity in everything.

If Blizzard didn't do this people would be furious because of third-party RMT sites selling anything and everything. Gear available for everyone. They would be mad because Blizzard didn't do something about RMT!

- Blizzard looses.

If Blizzard decided to implement Soulbound items as a way to deal with RMT, people and fans all over the world would scream in rage because D3 isn't the same as D2. They took what was once a great game and franchise and turned it  into a WoWablo.

- Blizzard looses.

So, Blizzard decides to allow RMT under controlled circumstances. Small fee's to prevent item "flooding" and the Auction house clogging up with worthless items. Blizzard uses this opportunity to make RMT into something worthwhile, something everyone could potentially be interested in. Something a bit more safe and secure than going to third-party RMT sites. Something that might,(MIGHT, keyword) reduce the amount of asian item/gold farming. (If even by a fraction, still great progress) Something that might encourage people, other developers and companies to come up with their own ideas to best this plague that is item/gold farming, poor people living/"working" in and under horrible environments.

- Blizzard looses.

In other words: Whatever Blizzard does, they do it wrong. That's just common knowledge today. Because whenever they are trying something new, people spin their words around and suddenly it sounds like a horrible and greedy thing to do. Oh gosh, shame on you Blizzard!

Oh yes, we should thank blizzard for selling items for real money.

THANK YOU BLIZZARD, always so humble and generous, thank you for allowing me to give you more and more money!

Oh right, i forgot, i will probably pirate this console port anyway.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by rygard49

Whether or not any of you want to admit this, RMT plagued Diablo 2.  Anyone could google one of these websites and buy anything they wanted, or they could wait for a spammer in game to come along and follow their direction.  The only difference now is that the millions of illegal outfits running this will be next to none.  Blizzard has faced this reality with the only logical decision, that is to regulate it themselves.  If you weren't interested in buying gold/items and such, then you are still presented with the option of not doing it.  This is exactly the same option that you had with the previous game.  There is no difference, just because you didn't do it in Diablo 2 doesn't mean the option wasn't there.

I'm not going to say no to one of the biggest games to come out in the past 10 years just because Blizzard decided to do the only thing that can be done to fight RMT outfits.  Take a step back and look at the situation.  It's still going to be a good game. 

Blizzard hasn't fixed this, they're just making sure they get their cut.  ironically, this is also how organized crime operates.

Besides, the RMT thing (which never affected me while playing the first two games) is just one of the birds being flipped at the player.  And their rationlization for no offline mode is insulting thin.

Actually this is more like when, in the U.S., many states legalized the lottery and ran it themselves.  This pushed out the numbers running source of money for the mob, and the government got their cut.  The way it was before was similar to how organized crime operates in black markets.

So what's the solution to this? I'm pretty sure it's not: 'Blizzard is greedy and they suck for charging for this'. What else could Blizzard have done but to make this process safer than going through 3rd party distributors?

You people are so quick to criticize without offering any actual solutions or alternatives.

The alternative is to block all 3rd party selling of gold and items for real money. That is the only alternative but they wont because Blizzard has been a part of the whole illegal rmt scam in Asia since day 1. It started with WoW and now it will start with D3.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

This is no big deal. They're not selling the items themselves, they're just creating a safe environment for those who were going to go to some chinese site and try to buy the uber gear only to get their identity stolen and account hacked. People who are crying against the supposed "greed" of Blizzard need to grow up.

I actually look forward to using this service to sell the uber items I come across for real cash. What other game would allow me to actually make a profit from playing it? Give me a break, people.

It's not about safety, if anything this is going to increase the value of accounts and as a result increase the overall amount of hacking attempts, bots, exploits, and hacking programs used in game.  I don't see how you can think Blizzard is doing this to keep things more secure for players.  Hacking D3 accounts is going to look much more attractive.  Bnet doesn't exactly have top notch security measures in place.

They figure they can't win against the gold sellers.  At the very least it will reduce spam in the game's chat channels, but you can bet other unscrupulous activies are going to become more commonplace as a result.  Blizzard knows they can't prevent people from buying gold and power, so they took the route that best benefits from them.

As for other games that allow you to profit when playing try Second Life, as you can covert the in game currency there you earn from selling various things into real life currency.  Don't expect to make much of a profit playing D3, because market prices won't likely be that high with that many people playing unless you get extremely lucky or plan on making a habit out of selling items.

As far as I'm concerned the results of this will be:

-  Blizzard will profit from it.  They'll probably gain a large amount of profit (in the millions).

-  Gold sellers may profit from it, seeing as how easy it becomes to trade their currency.  Less overhead on their end, though competition may drive prices down.

-  Hardcore players may profit from it, it probably won't be a significant amount of profit, but someone who plays Diablo like a MMO will probably be able to at least break even on their purchase.

-  Players who already buy gold and items from gold seller sites and spend money on auction items will see this as a benefit, and overall their security will improve, but for the rest of us (the majority in my opinion)....

-  Hacking will become more prominent as well as other exploits and botting in game for people attempting to profit off the auction house.  Account security will overall go down.  You'd have to be extremely careful with your Bnet account, and Bnet already had several security leaks (e-mails got out).  Watch out for trojans on fansites and phising attempts.  Keep in mind that no matter how secure you think your account is there is always a way to hack it.

-  PvP will suffer as a result of people power buying, though I don't think a majority of people play Diablo for the PvP aspect.

-  A few players may be turned off to the game as viewing it as a greedy attempt by Blizzard.  This is probably a small number Blizzard is aware of, and there won't be a signficant boycott of the game for it to matter.  The loss of those people who won't buy the game due to the RMT will be more than made up for in the profit they make from the RMT transactions.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by just1opinion

I couldn't care less.  It's Blizzard.  I'm SO over Blizzard. They're so last week.

This sounds so much like SoE's first Ca$h $hop scandal six (seven?) years ago.

Wonder if Bliz is going to do the "it's just one server, for testing, it doesn't count!" PR line too.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

The alternative is to block all 3rd party selling of gold and items for real money. That is the only alternative but they wont because Blizzard has been a part of the whole illegal rmt scam in Asia since day 1. It started with WoW and now it will start with D3.

Okay, well how is that accomplished? It's terribly hard to track an illegal third party site, and the in game transfers appear like just two players trading. So outside of getting direct reports from those illegal distributors, how are they tracking who's buying what, and within the scope of their countries laws how do you enforce any legal consequences upon them?

It's like saying we'd have no more drugs if we just block all the drug runners. Great idea in theory, but in reality it's impossible. And please supply proof that Blizzard is in bed with these chinese RMT companies before you spout that conspiracy nonsense.

• xcharbyxxcharbyx Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Okay, well how is that accomplished? It's terribly hard to track an illegal third party site, and the in game transfers appear like just two players trading. So outside of getting direct reports from those illegal distributors, how are they tracking who's buying what, and within the scope of their countries laws how do you enforce any legal consequences upon them?

It's like saying we'd have no more drugs if we just block all the drug runners. Great idea in theory, but in reality it's impossible. And please supply proof that Blizzard is in bed with these chinese RMT companies before you spout that conspiracy nonsense.

On top of all of that if you actually read the fucking post about RMT AH, They give you [x] amount of items to sell each week that they do not benefit from in any way that involves $$. So if you don't want to give them money you don't have to. I mean come on quit bitching just to bitch. You're probably going to buy the game then love it and then be like OH HEY IM 16 and dont have to ask mommy and daddy for condoms or money for alcohol and use my bank account and withdraw money I get via paypal or whatever they are going to use. I know it's hard being 16 and not thinking about things but think about that for a moment.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

How about: they could have not done it at all and just lived with the innevitable sellers.

EDIT: Oh and there will still be sellers outside of Blizzard's little setup. Don't think that this changes anything on that front.

• xcharbyxxcharbyx Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by atticusbc

How about: they could have not done it at all and just lived with the innevitable sellers.

EDIT: Oh and there will still be sellers outside of Blizzard's little setup. Don't think that this changes anything on that front.

Are you new to MMOS or something? If thar will be outside sellers they will try to undercut. Guess what? Gaming communities don't put up with that much and they undercut the undercutters. SUPRISE?!

• narfinarfi Member UncommonPosts: 178

Sounds like its just a watered down version of the Entropia Universe.

I think ill stick with the real thing :P

Sold this dagger I looted last year for 4k usd legaly through the game, and legaly pulled most of it out into my bank acount.

(got a better computer since then too :P )

gl and have fun,

narfi

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

So let me get this right...

I can buy access to a system that allows me to sell my items to other people for real money, in a Diablo setting no less?

Finally someone else came along and did this, i was getting sick and tired of playing on american time to get access to the Live Gamer supported servers in Everquest 2, plus it's a Diablo game with many more fish in the sea to stimulate the economy.

At last playing the market means something.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i cant see this being what some people are thinking..has to be more along the lines of a mini cash shop like on some f2p games..i am also wanting to know how this is gonna work on the consoles

seeing this is comeing from blizz this is no shocker to me..they love milking the cow..imo nuttin to see here ..i'll keep walking and find / or wait for something else to play

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Sorry guys, but I do understand that RMT is a big problem for D2. I honestly don't care, though, and I don't play that game. What bothers me is that with D3, Blizzard is just taking one more step to monetizing our actions and time in a game, and I just want the games to be about FUCKING GAMES. Is that such a bad thing, to want my games to be directed entirely at someone playing something for a challenge, or to have fun? Why does everything have to start having miniature RMT and cash shop options, even if its player driven, when what they should be focusing on is shutting off any access RMT'ers may have had with items or gold (I don't know, I don't mind the soulbound option - Diablo trading is pretty dumb anyway) and just make a god damn game?

This is my issue, not that people are making money, or selling their time in a round-about way from the items they gather, but that developers are changing their focus from making a fun experience, something that people can be passionate about, to making games that are ultimately about funneling more money into their pockets. It may not be as clear with D3, but we're on the edge.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by atticusbc

So by doing nothing they continue to enable illegal sales websites, and are, in fact, just making more fodder for these wesbites to use to get players to give them their information. So cases of internet fraud and identity theft go up.

I don't consider 'doing nothing' as a solution. Please try again.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

The foundation of these sites were duping. They could sell all they wanted because they were basically printing their own money, by duping runes and items. To say that the only thing to do is to become the guy duping (or in Blizzards case:spawning) these items is incorrect.

If DIII is kept dupefree- and it will be now that Blizz is the pusherman, thats for sure- there is no reason to believe gold and item sellers would run rampant, they won't have acces to enough of the rare items, and they would possibly quickly be known as simple scammers and thiefs, who take the money but then don't deliver (because they can't)

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Since the initial shock and rage has mellowed into apathy, I can say now that while I don't exactly support this system, I can see the effect it will have on the D2 "black market".  This will help regulate trade and hopefully give an incentive to Blizzard to prevent duping and botting.

*shrugs*  Oh well, what can ya do.  I can spend my time being outraged, or just give into apathy and enjoy the game.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Now I see you have to be connected to the internet to play and all characters will be stored on the b.net server. Sorry, this doesn't work for me. Contrary to many developers current beliefs, not everyone has constant internet access and games like Diablo 3 would be perfect for my laptop while I'm travelling to places that may not have internet but I can't play unless I'm on the web.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Originally posted by nickster29

*shrugs*  Oh well, what can ya do.  I can spend my time being outraged, or just give into apathy and enjoy the game.

One can also don't play D3 at all.

---------

As for some people arguing that Blizz idea is some kind of "solution".

I don't see "legalizing" item/gold=cash trade as solution. Because it does not solve main problem. It just increse RMT and change main beneficient of it.

So imho it actually make problem bigger not lessen it or solve.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

By doing this it allows Blizz to regulate the auctions and sniff out the dupers, if some random new player suddenly has 50 of some uber weapon up for auction chances are they are duped.  If you haven't played Diablo 2, please go get yourself a copy and see what that game has become.  Just step into one public channel and watch the spam of shops selling items and tell me that this is a bad idea.  Hell nowadays most people don't even bother to dupe, bots can play the game for you while you enter game clear zones and pick up uber items all while being afk.   Do you really want this to become the norm in D3?  There are reasons why they are doing this.  Complain all you want but you know you're all stil going to buy it if you are a fan of Diablo.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by mad-hatter

By doing this it allows Blizz to regulate the auctions and sniff out the dupers, if some random new player suddenly has 50 of some uber weapon up for auction chances are they are duped.  If you haven't played Diablo 2, please go get yourself a copy and see what that game has become.  Just step into one public channel and watch the spam of shops selling items and tell me that this is a bad idea.  Hell nowadays most people don't even bother to dupe, bots can play the game for you while you enter game clear zones and pick up uber items all while being afk.   Do you really want this to become the norm in D3?  There are reasons why they are doing this.  Complain all you want but you know you're all stil going to buy it if you are a fan of Diablo.

So everythng is ok now just because you are giving Blizzard a cut. Talk about selling your soul to the devil, not to mention your wallet.

• crimson8kcrimson8k Member UncommonPosts: 14

I've never bought or sold any gaming items.  I know it goes on, and that it is nearly impossible to stop.  However a game company promoting it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Said company profiting off it makes it that much worse.  This is one game I won't be buying. 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Not sure why i'm quoted here as I have no problem with this, and as I was responding to someone who claimed this was like the mob, and I said it wasn't the way it was in the past was similar to organized crime in the black market.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

"There will continue to be opportunities for us to exploit the PC platform in ways that we haven’t yet."--B. Kotick.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I cannot wait till the AH is so saturated with the loot from the multi-account RMT companies. I can get my epics for a dollar and will jump for joy. Who else is with me?

BOOYAKA!

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Have to say that Blizz has a balls to pull this one off. And I'm perfectly fine with it(later more about it). I mean it's grey in moral side, we all want shiny Blizz on white horse smacking bans with big hammer on those pesky RMT sellers and buyers. But reality is a tad more complex.

People was, are and will buy from RMT sites or each other on Ebay and other sites(google d2jsp). I mean sure You can ban them all and hire more GMs and do the 1st shoot myself in foot as it'll only bring less revenue(banned customers) and more expenses(more staff to pay salaries). Even more those who You will not catch will get hacked or scammed and go for Blizz support - again lost revenue cause some will /ragequit blaming Blizz being hacked + more expenses on hiring more support to restore accounts. So 2nd shoot in the foot. All of this to frankly achieve nothing except looking good, not that this will be apreciated in any way as RMT will still be visible both in and out of game and people will still complain. That's the Blizz point of view.

Now off to player aka mine point of view. People will hack, exploit, cheat and buy from RMT gaining advantage and frankly I can't do a thing about it. I can either don't care or don't play. Since it's not MMO I couldn't care less what other will do and get. Besides for me it's about playing not having +6 e-peen sword of doom. AH will get some RMT out of game, so less spamming their offers and such. Besides having a big market of items to finish set is always a good thing. Be it buying by some casual guy or selling few items by hardcore one. Don't like it, don't use it as simple as that. At least You have a safe choice unlike with sites full of keyloggers and such. But I must admit I'm curious how it'll affect in game currency and gold selling.

Anyways I'll be buying Diablo and I care more about no offline mode, which I'm angry about, than real cash AH. Funny thing is that this whole issue could bring completely new people to diablo - less interested with gaming, more in profit again I wonder how will this affect whole thing. Anyways:

As long as Blizz themselves doesn't sell items/gold I don't care.