Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mythos: A Missed Opportunity

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally developed by Flagship Studios, Mythos seemed doomed for the trash heap when the studio went belly up. The game was however revived by Korea's HanbitSoft and completed then published in Europe by Frogster. In our latest review, Adam Tingle takes a look at Mythos as it stands today as an action MMORPG. Read more and then let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Borrowing a very tired saying however, “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch” and Mythos round about proves this sentiment. Where we should be squealing with the type of glee that past Rogue-like games have conjured, we can only recoil in disinterest at some rather unrefined, boring, and tired gameplay. After dining out with this particular freebie, you will only find yourself biting back a sour taste stuck at in your mouth, and with a severely numb left-clicking finger. It is time to look back at your depleting wallets and decide that capitalism maybe isn’t so bad after all.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Mythos: The Official Review - A Missed Opportunty.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Anyone said 'frantic mouse clicks'?

Exactly what I need until Torchlight 2 is out :D

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• Junbo79Junbo79 Member Posts: 2

I wish this article spoke on the differences between the original and what has changed more.  Hard to read through an entire negative review to find what (i assume) is the only thing anyone would care about.

Most people who play the game now are the ones who tried to play the game back then.  I didn't need a review of the game as much as I needed to understand the differences between what I used to play and what I am getting ready to play

• SkullFighterSkullFighter Member UncommonPosts: 31

I played it in the beta before it released.  I thought it was basically the same.   Once you get to a certain level boss mobs become grossly overpowered for the appropriate level you reach them at.  It became apparent that they mean for you to grind endlessly in order to have a chance at the boss mobs.  It threw the pacing of the game way off. 

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

"and decide that capitalism maybe isn’t so bad after all."

Nah, it is, laissez-faire style is the devil itself! Pay-to-win games stink, I want nothing to do with them.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I thought it felt insanely unpolished. It felt like a beta of an upcoming indy game to be honest.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Mythos was a tool that Travis Baldree put together just to test the loot system for hellgate. Flagship then offered it as a closed beta to hellgate subscribers, I was one of them. It was insanely fun at the time and totally free. 

Unfortunatly, it garnered more of a following than Hellgate did in its latter years. Never completely developed or released AFAIK until Hanbite got their hands on it. It feels unpolished because its current owners aren't investing enough time or effort into polishing it. I haven't played its current incarnation. 

What you see is most likely a lot of what the original Mythos looked like, and yes, even though it was unpolised it was fun. 

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I learned not to bother reading the text. Horrible translation is horrible.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Well wait for D3 is also no option anymore then you can better play this one for free.

Perma internet needed, no mods, no offline and worsed a cash shop D3 is no MMO but even worse then Mythos lol.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Mythowned, imo.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

The game is unbearibly bad.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

As a huge fan of the Flagship Mythos, I really wanted to like this one. However, the whole game feels ultra-grindy and unrewarding, whether through experience earned or the actual gameplay experience. This is coming from someone who loved Torchlight, Diablo 2, etc. I recommend people try it but it isn't for me.

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Groovydutch
    Well wait for D3 is also no option anymore then you can better play this one for free.
    Perma internet needed, no mods, no offline and worsed a cash shop D3 is no MMO but even worse then Mythos lol.

dear sir, there will be no cash shop in diablo 3. its a player driven auction house where you can buy items with real money. big difference to a cash shop there as you wont find items on the auction house that you wont find from killing enemies! its players selling their items to other players, just not on ebay but ingame. its really not a big issue.
    actually i find this a great idea, this way i can even make a little money playing the game, because theres always lazy and impatient people, that need to get the best stuff now.

oh and on topic: mythos is really boring, sad truth.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by jpnole

Sorry for the double post. Just wanted to say I agree with the reviewer. Low res textures and no variation from any other hack n slash since D2.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

I played this in beta for a bit and well, there was certainly a lot to report.  I think I filed about 25 different bug reports on my first day.  To be fair they did fix a lot of them, the problem was just the sheer volume of little issues.

Which I think is a clear case of a second developement team appending onto another groups work.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

a simple game for a simple mind ... like many of these low budget f2p aberrations.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

For the differences to the "old" beta :

Pretty much everything got worse.

The pseudo-mmofication didn't do any good, the world seems to be ripped into little shards, the grind got way worse (even worse for release when they increased the exp needed to lvlup, again), and pretty much ALL the problems with the original beta are still there (skillbugs, useless items that no class can use like bows identify scrolls that cost about 5 times the amount an item will sell for,....).

Oh...and the "crafting", you get extra skillpoints and 3 extra skilltrees for that, you have to buy recipies and the mats are mostly random drops. You will never have the mats for an item that is actually of use to while lvling.

Or maybe they changed that by now, couldn't be arsed to continue playing after the release.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I played it back int he Flagship beta days and really liked it. However I liked it knowing it was unreleased and still lacked lots of polish.

Basically it never got that polish and finishing touches that the Flagship game would have given it. I really can't see that Hanbit did ANYTHING to it. I really have no idea what the big delay was in getting it released because they obviously invested nothing in this game.

Torchlight 2 is coming soon and it's gonna rock. Ayone in to action rpgs should check it out.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I actually liked the original Mythos beta, but it had a lot of issues.  This garbage that Habitsoft transformed it into is exactly that.  The issues are still there and they have added a bunch and increased the grind a lot.

The review is pretty much right on.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by Inktomi

Mythos was a tool that Travis Baldree put together just to test the loot system for hellgate.

Almost right, it was to test the network code. It was later that it expanded into Mythos as an entity in itself, i still have all my old screenshots and there are a few changes, mostly cosmetic. I never played hellgate, but i have Travis' previous games like the wonderful FATE and obviously also TL :)

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Hmm, Gadgeteers became women, wonder if they still summon little shurikens that shoot lightning and kill an ENTIRE AREA without you even moving, hmmm..