Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo III: "No Mods, Online Only, Cash Trades"

WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun.  Some devastating news (IMO) about the upcoming Diablo III.  Blizzard-Activision is on some SERIOUS crack.  In short, here are the 3 big hits Blizzard's making against D3.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline. (Nevermind that past Diablo games allowed SP gaming, and personally, I travel quite a bit and constant 'net connection is not a guarantee for me... useless game)

2) Mods are “expressly prohibited. (Holy s**t, on a PC title?!?)

3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money. (Nickle and Diming Galore!)

*sigh*

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Warmaker

From Rock, Paper, Shotgun.  Some devastating news (IMO) about the upcoming Diablo III.  Blizzard-Activision is on some SERIOUS crack.  In short, here are the 3 big hits Blizzard's making against D3.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline. (Nevermind that past Diablo games allowed SP gaming, and personally, I travel quite a bit and constant 'net connection is not a guarantee for me... useless game)

3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money. (Nickle and Diming Galore!)

*sigh*

It's like they are trying to piss off their player base.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Welcome to the world that Bobby Kotick is building.  No thanks.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

That's a shame. Might have to give this one a miss due to RWT

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Well ... that really sucks.  And I've been looking forward to this for quite a while.

Hello Torchlight 2!

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Word? Onward to Torchlight 2!

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Do trade limits. Problem solved. Of course that would suck too but wouldelliminate the problem 98%

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Blizzard has fallen into the delusion of the "grand vision." In order words, individual games and players have come to be nothing other than building blocks for Blizzard's "grand vision," Facebook! ....I mean Battle.net. 

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Has... Blizzard lost its mind? No, seriously. I'm still waiting for someone from Blizzard to come out and say: "haha guys, we got you good and it's not even April yet" how retarded all this seems to be. I'm at a loss of words.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Why not just port it to consoles as well.......

So I can't play the game at all in offline?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

As soon as I saw D3 screenshots, and I saw bright cartoony WoW graphics, I was instantly put off. Then I heared about no attacking other players, and I was completely put off. I loved the excitement of playing pubs on D2.

No mods? Who do they think we are, console players? We like huge variety and longetivity in our games, we like to have the ability to blow our games right open and play what has been created by other people.

Need an internet connection? What is the meaning of this, it's not an MMO... It's a regular RPG, what if I'm not local, want to play some D3 on my laptop and don't want to run my phone's operator bills up going over my 3G limit?

And now real money trade.

Ok, ok wait a minute.

So the art style is shit? The PvP is boring? No mods? RMT? Blizzard, I already hated you anyway... But you can suck my hairy left nut you fucking scumbags. I already made this vow, but it stands and I will definitely not purchase another one of your products. If you happen to see my on D3, I'll be using a hacked account and fucking up peoples games.

Blizzard... HA!

More like a shit-storm.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• psyfighterpsyfighter Member Posts: 50

we are blizzard we can sell S??t on a stick and people will buy it.

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

They can do whatever they want with their game. And whatever they do  millions will play it anyway, few will cry on forums here and there, but that's how it is.

As long as they don't sell the gear them self I do not see a problem anyway.

Outraged, that the guy with more cash will have better gear than you? Well... he already has better car, house and better health insurance than you, so why should he stay behind with a virtual sword and helmet??? It' just unnatural and against the evolution... :))

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

This is shocking! and the bit that is a blatent lie is the following:

"We don’t know if it will make us money. It would be nice if it did, but as long as we don’t lose money, that’s really what we care about: that we provide the players with a great experience that doesn’t put us out of business.”

Yeah right! Paypal/Ebay works on that idea with real life items. It's why they have become so rich. And Blizzard "Doesn't" know whether they are going to make some money out of this? HA!

Like all companies Blizzard wants to make money and they are not going to put effort and resources into something like this unless they see a profit.

This is ridiculous!

Originally posted by Vallador

They can do whatever they want with their game. And whatever they do  millions will play it anyway, few will cry on forums here and there, but that's how it is.

Outraged, that the guy with more cash will have better gear than you? Well... he already has better car, house and better health insurance than you, so why should he stay behind with a virtual sword and helmet??? It' just unnatural and against the evolution... :))

A lot of people play games to escape, immerse themselves somewhere else. If how good someone is in-game directly reflects their real-world wealth, then this is impossible.

{mod edit}

_________

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• ShogooShogoo Member UncommonPosts: 88

Well I was waiting for this game but if its online only and rl cash?! Forget it! There are lot's of other games out there I can play...

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

These journalists really like to grab a headline don't they?

D2 was released 11 years ago it's like saying my Pentium 2 with my Voodoo graphics card cannot play D3.. but it could play D2?

This really a big deal for this kind of game?

Half a story, items "can" be sold for real money but items can also be sold for ingame gold it players choice which auction house they use.

*sigh*

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

*sigh*

I already suspected this and no D3 for me eather im not gonne give any money on companys who have that kind of featers implemented.

One of companys i boycot are EA-Ubisoft-Activision/blizzard-steam and prolly all who have same kind of DRM and cashshops or no mod policy for PC gamers while every developer knows its a HUGE PART of PC gaming community play such games with modifications..

Diablo 3 already shown it will be console game thats why no mods.

But real cash is the number one reason why i dont play D3 ever.

Soon i can't play games anymore only old ones bah:(

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Incredibly upset myself.  I guess the Activision has finally began to leak in.  Well, so much for one of my great B's of the west.

(Blizzard, Bethasada, Bioware)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Yeah, that sounds reminiscent of the Vichy french in WW2.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. 

You may be happy to line up at the trough and gorge yourself on Bobby Kotick's vile leavings, but many won't be.   It won't cripple sales by any stretch, but there will be an impact.   But I guess the point is, even if their loss of me as a client has a negligible impact on their bottom line, I won't have to endure any uncomfortable sensations around my backside whenever I start the game up.  But hey, I hear it gets easier the more often you do it, so that's a bright spot.

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Adam1902

A lot of people play games to escape, immerse themselves somewhere else. If how good someone is in-game directly reflects their real-world wealth, then this is impossible.

{mod edit}

Tons of people go to uni these days,it hasnt been a big deal for a long time now so quit with the personal attacks. The man is just trying to say that the the rich are going to get their way and better things it seems in this game as in real life. 

Honestly the only thing I dont like about this is that they should keep videogames simple and not over complicate things with this stuff. I mean just make the videogame dont add this stuff in you know. Diablo is awesome because it was an awesome game it doesnt need this money transaction in it.

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

*sigh*

I thought I also read where there's also an identical auction house that works "traditionally"; ie with in-game gold.

No mods don't both me too much (not a game breaker), but the "must-be-online-at-all-times" does.

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

I also feel this way about RMT most of the time. 

But with Diablo 3, its all player to player transactions.  That already happens and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop them telling by the sheer amount of accounts they must burn through to spam in-game, on ebay, craigs list, etc selling their in-game stuff.

I guess I feel less like the company is trying to exploit me in this case.  If Blizzard included a cash shop where they sold all these items to the players, i would be totally against it.

In some ways people will work for the money they make with this kind of system.  Everyone can use this system at no cost, according to the info you get a couple free postings a month, and use the money they might make for whatever they want. 

Company using copy and paste to sell its player base items, vs Players farming for hours, or days to sell other players, with less time to farm but more money, items they want.

Person with more time and less money gets more money. Person with less time and more money gets more items.

Really, the more i ponder it, the more i can see some people paying for other video games just by playing D3. 

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I don't particularly mind the no mods. Or the RMT (I can always avoid it and the people who use it). I do mind no offline play. Sorry Blizzard. I just don't care anymore. At least now I have the money available to preorder GW2. :)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Fargol

I thought I also read where there's also an identical auction house that works "traditionally"; ie with in-game gold.

No mods don't both me too much (not a game breaker), but the "must-be-online-at-all-times" does.

There will be.  But how many people do you THINK are going to use that instead of making a "quick buck"?

I will say the best part about this is that Blizz takes ANOTHER cut off the top of the RMT if you try to take the money from the Blizzard accound to "cash out" through a 3rd party.  

I'm still not happy about this situation.  Being online all the time is NOT ok with ISPs capping bandwidth, having Ladders/PvP be influenced by the amount of cash in someones pocket is NOT ok, and in general you're taking a game that is a CHOICE whether or not I want to multiplay and shoving it down my throat.

I'm about ready to move on...

Originally posted by Mogcat

{mod edit}

Tons of people go to uni these days,it hasnt been a big deal for a long time now so quit with the personal attacks. The man is just trying to say that the the rich are going to get their way and better things it seems in this game as in real life. 

Honestly the only thing I dont like about this is that they should keep videogames simple and not over complicate things with this stuff. I mean just make the videogame dont add this stuff in you know. Diablo is awesome because it was an awesome game it doesnt need this money transaction in it.

I am aware of this, and my post was not an intended "personal attack", if it came across as one I apologise. What I was trying to say, was that my opinion is not formed by my amount of disposable income. I'm earning money and currently living at home, so it's not a problem what so ever.

I'm not saying "I can't afford it so I don't like it", I'm saying "in-game power shouldn't be based on real-world wallet size", and I did sense a little snobbery in that guys post :P, hence the slightly... Snarly reply.

_________