Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP at gamescom

grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

http://www.arena.net/blog/get-ready-for-gamescom

As the link states, PvP will be available at Gamescom.  I assume that this means we will see this "hot-joinable" PvP system in action.  I, personally, have no experience with what this system would entail, and I have no experience with FPS games, which are the inspiration for this kind of system, to be able to extrapolate this terminology properly.

I think part of my problem is I am use to how Random Arenas works in GW1 and this doesn't seem to work the same way.  Can somebody explain how this hot joining system would work, preferably elaborating on how such matches remain semi-balanced?  Feel free to give examples from existing FPS games if that would help your explaination.

Hopefully, any explainations will allow me to tell whats happening in the videos people are bound to make of their PvP experiences.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Comments

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

I have no direct knowledge of how it's going to work in GW2, but I'm definitely leery of it based on my experience with MW2.  If you join a game in progress, you're almost certainly walking into a loss.  The reason there's a spot in the first place is because somebody quit the match.  If there was an option in MW2 to not join a game in progress, I can all but guarantee every single person would select it.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• mafia514mafia514 Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by grimm6th

As the link states, PvP will be available at Gamescom.  I assume that this means we will see this "hot-joinable" PvP system in action.  I, personally, have no experience with what this system would entail, and I have no experience with FPS games, which are the inspiration for this kind of system, to be able to extrapolate this terminology properly.

I think part of my problem is I am use to how Random Arenas works in GW1 and this doesn't seem to work the same way.  Can somebody explain how this hot joining system would work, preferably elaborating on how such matches remain semi-balanced?  Feel free to give examples from existing FPS games if that would help your explaination.

Hopefully, any explainations will allow me to tell whats happening in the videos people are bound to make of their PvP experiences.

Just to let you know that GW 2 don't have system like FPS games (Tera,Dragon Nest) its still have the feel of an RPG combat but with a litle bit of action

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by mafia514

Just to let you know that GW 2 don't have system like FPS games (Tera,Dragon Nest) its still have the feel of an RPG combat but with a litle bit of action

I was talking about the forming of groups for the pick up play PvP format described in the GW2 wiki.

@cali59 - that doesn't sound too encouraging.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There will be PvP, but not yet WvWvW,,,

The only other thing they need to announce is the 8th class...

If you'd ask me, they are still aiming for a September beta and a November release (personal opinion)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If you'd ask me, they are still aiming for a September beta and a November release (personal opinion)

lol now that's just silly.

I think it really sounds like any battleground sort of thing.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Swanea

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

lol now that's just silly.

I think it really sounds like any battleground sort of thing.

No, the interface is like that of an FPS server search from what Eric Flannum said on the forums (I can't remember where to find the link).

Server Name/ Map Name / Map Format / No. of Players/ Ping

Wegotyou     / Alkali Plains / Free for All /       4 of 10     / 9000

That's the average FPS server search display but I'm pretty sure it will be modified to fit whatever information Anet wants it to display.

As you scroll through a bunch of servers on a menu similar to the example above, you can pick anyone and hit the "join" button to hop right into the match.

This is not a game.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

actual i don't think its sounds like the hot joinable system that they will show , but the structured GvG. Even if thesse 2 are very closse in setup there is properly some differense. Like numbers (GvG is fixed 5v5 ). i wouldn't be surprised if hot joienble would have some maps with much higher numbers (making them closer to battlegrounds in some way), and i don't think thats what they are showing now.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I('ve been extremely hyped for this game yet havent really thought about pvp when it comes to gw2 lol.

I dont know why... I think all the pve dynamic stuff, weapon system and personal storyline have overshadowed everything else for me atleast.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

As the link states, PvP will be available at Gamescom.  I assume that this means we will see this "hot-joinable" PvP system in action. 

If you read that wiki page, it clearly states that Structured PvP consists of two different types a tournament type and a hot-joinable type. The first I assume works similar to TA, HA and GvG in GW1 and the second is, as you said, similar to how FPS games function. I'm not so sure if it's the first or the second type that we will get to see at gamescom. Maybe the devs versus boon match is the first while the demo gives access to the second.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Diovidius

As the link states, PvP will be available at Gamescom.  I assume that this means we will see this "hot-joinable" PvP system in action. 

If you read that wiki page, it clearly states that Structured PvP consists of two different types a tournament type and a hot-joinable type. The first I assume works similar to TA, HA and GvG in GW1 and the second is, as you said, similar to how FPS games function. I'm not so sure if it's the first or the second type that we will get to see at gamescom. Maybe the devs versus boon match is the first while the demo gives access to the second.

As yes you are on the ball Diovidius, the PvP match will surely be an exhibition between 2 teams who know what they are doing so as to provide the best spectacle for us to be entertained and perhaps enthralled by?!

As to which mode, unsure, I suspect the PvP > Structured > Tournament : mode instead of the . > . > Pick-up And Play (aka hot-joinable) : mode.

That will balance more of the variable and therefore I suspect be easier to convey the rules, the set-up and therefore the emergent strategies and COMPLEX gameplay made possible between 2 SKILLED PvP teams? That guess could be wrong, but it's seems to be educated to reveal the PvP in the most standard to digest format available? Because there's going to be many more questions afterwards if it's successful exhibition!!!

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Diovidius

That was my assumption.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Nice, that will be interesting to see.

Wonder what kind of PvP will be shown.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I would love hot-joinable servers (similar to the old dedicated servers found in online shooters). You get more options, and you don't have to wait in a queue. The only drawback would be if there were some kind of rewards, where players could exploit the system by win-trading. But for casual structured PvP, this really is the best option, in my opinion. I'm still looking forward to the WvW the most, but this has me excited. I hope it is what they are doing.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Nice, that will be interesting to see.

Wonder what kind of PvP will be shown.

It will be just the 5v5 arena pvp.